PDA

View Full Version : Hot Hot Hot

scottjanssens
07-23-2005, 09:22 AM
For Sunday a high of 99 with a heat index of 110 is currently predicted. Act accordingly. Anyone know if there's a chance the game will be moved to the evening? Boston has to fly to Tampa (they play Mon pm).

doublem23
07-23-2005, 09:24 AM
I don't recall the MLB ever rescheduling a game for heat. Any baseball historians here think of anything?

Tragg
07-23-2005, 09:28 AM
Wimps

Come spend a July, August and September in New Orleans and tell me about suffocating heat and humidity.

scottjanssens
07-23-2005, 09:34 AM
Wimps

Come spend a July, August and September in New Orleans and tell me about suffocating heat and humidity.

If NO had baseball they'd play it indoors. I'd also like to see the NO reaction to an inch of snow. (In Seattle a half inch of snow will shut the whole place down.)

scottjanssens
07-23-2005, 09:38 AM
I don't recall the MLB ever rescheduling a game for heat. Any baseball historians here think of anything?I was just wondering as Chicago tends to have some knee-jerk reactions to heat since '95. I also wondered about protecting the players but they deal with it in Miami so I guess the players can handle it.

SoxFan76
07-23-2005, 09:45 AM
Wimps

Why do people from the south act like Chicagoans don't know what real heat is. It gets just as hot and muggy in Chicago as anywhere else in the US. It also gets just as cold, we have to deal with it all, not just the heat (or just the cold).

alohafri
07-23-2005, 09:51 AM
For Sunday a high of 99 with a heat index of 110 is currently predicted. Act accordingly. Anyone know if there's a chance the game will be moved to the evening? Boston has to fly to Tampa (they play Mon pm).

No way. I just hope the fools don't wear the black jerseys.

OKCSoxFan
07-23-2005, 09:54 AM
Why do people from the south act like Chicagoans don't know what real heat is. It gets just as hot and muggy in Chicago as anywhere else in the US. It also gets just as cold, we have to deal with it all, not just the heat (or just the cold).

Maybe because when it hits 100 degrees people start asking about moving the games to the night.

hose
07-23-2005, 10:18 AM
Wimps

I've been to NO a few times in the summer and you are 100% correct about the suffocating heat and humidity. St.Louis isn't much better.

It might get hot here in Chicago from time to time and we will get stretches of 100 degree weather days in a row , but the hottest baseball town has to be Arlington Texas.

The biggest joke for reported temperature is Los Angeles. They take the official temp at LAX(airport) which is right off the ocean. Go into the valleys and that pleasent 87 degrees turns into 96. Still as hot as it gets in LA the humidity isn't a factor, but it still is hotter than blazes.

scottjanssens
07-23-2005, 10:23 AM
Why do people from the south act like Chicagoans don't know what real heat is.

Let them have their condescending remarks and pity them that they don't get to live in the best city in the world.

RavenswoodFan
07-23-2005, 10:30 AM

Thank You!!!! I travel for a living and can attest that Chicago has some of the most extreme weather as anyplace else! Yes, it is hot continuosly through the summer in the gulf states. But if it snows there(last X-mas) everything is shut down! While we here in chicago go about our business even when it's -10f outside!
Trust me you guys are the wimps!

A_ROW33
07-23-2005, 10:50 AM
Thank You!!!! I travel for a living and can attest that Chicago has some of the most extreme weather as anyplace else! Yes, it is hot continuosly through the summer in the gulf states. But if it snows there(last X-mas) everything is shut down! While we here in chicago go about our business even when it's -10f outside!
Trust me you guys are the wimps!

Seriously the only place I know of with more extreme temperature swings is North Dakota.

Also I have never heard of a major league game getting reschedueled due to heat, even when there were open air stadiums with astroturf, which would cause the field level temperature approaching 120 degrees at time.

TheOldRoman
07-23-2005, 11:22 AM
I remember watching the Cubs lose to the Reds several years ago on TV. The announcers kept on saying it was 140 degrees on the astroturf. During the game you could see steam rising up from the turf. Needless to say, they kept playing (Sunday afternoon), and as far as I know, none of the players passed out. It wont be nearly as bad since the Sox play on grass.

ThatGuyOnTheL
07-23-2005, 11:35 AM
Let them have their condescending remarks and pity them that they don't get to live in the best city in the world.

You mean NYC and/or Boston?

/espn

JB98
07-23-2005, 12:06 PM
I was at the Cardinals-Astros game last Sunday in St. Louis, and I'll be at the Cell tomorrow. Talk about a couple of scorchers. I find it hard to believe that tomorrow's game will be worse than the game I went to in the Lou, but it's possible.

The one saving grace is I have tickets on the first-base side. That gets the shade first. It's going to be brutal out in the bleachers.

We should have an advantage because Contreras has darker skin than Arroyo, and dark-skinned players adjust better to the heat.

DSpivack
07-23-2005, 12:07 PM
The biggest joke for reported temperature is Los Angeles. They take the official temp at LAX(airport) which is right off the ocean. Go into the valleys and that pleasent 87 degrees turns into 96. Still as hot as it gets in LA the humidity isn't a factor, but it still is hotter than blazes.

True, but LA has a lot of mini-climates, something that we don't really have to deal with. You live in West LA, and there is only a brief period of real heat in September and October. In the Valley or further east, it does get real hot. Same is true for the Bay Area.

MarySwiss
07-23-2005, 12:50 PM

Well, I live in Arizona which is actually the Southwest, but I wouldn't dream of acting like Chicagoans don't know what real heat is. It's been 110+ here for about the past two weeks, but--as visitors to the Valley constantly say--"it's a dry heat." We get really sick of hearing that, but it's true. And that Chicago humidity is what makes all the difference; it can be brutal. I think 90 in Chicago when it's humid feels like 110 in Phoenix, maybe even worse.

nedlug
07-23-2005, 12:57 PM
Well, I live in Arizona which is actually the Southwest, but I wouldn't dream of acting like Chicagoans don't know what real heat is. It's been 110+ here for about the past two weeks, but--as visitors to the Valley constantly say--"it's a dry heat." We get really sick of hearing that, but it's true. And that Chicago humidity is what makes all the difference; it can be brutal. I think 90 in Chicago when it's humid feels like 110 in Phoenix, maybe even worse.

I've lived in Chicagoland all my life, and the humidity that I'm experiencing in MInneapolis this summer is outrageous... this whole last week, it's been 90-95 every day, plus 60-70% humidity... it is pretty unbearable to walk around here. The locals say that this summer is the hottest they've ever seen, and maybe the winter 'extreme' won't be as bad. However, from what I've heard, it can get to 40 below in the winter, so even 'not as extreme' is still pretty darn cold.

scottjanssens
07-23-2005, 01:01 PM
I've lived in Chicagoland all my life, and the humidity that I'm experiencing in MInneapolis this summer is outrageous... this whole last week, it's been 90-95 every day, plus 60-70% humidity... it is pretty unbearable to walk around here. The locals say that this summer is the hottest they've ever seen, and maybe the winter 'extreme' won't be as bad. However, from what I've heard, it can get to 40 below in the winter, so even 'not as extreme' is still pretty darn cold.

Minneapolis definitely beats Chicago for brutal winters.

Best range of climate I've lived in was Seattle from about a low of 30 in January to a high of 85 in August. I loved the weather there. Sunny and mild in the summer, rain and mild in the winter. Sure it'll drizzle incessantly from Nov 1 through May 1, but it's rain not snow. And if anyone so much as sees a snowflake you don't have to go into work.

34 Inch Stick
07-23-2005, 01:25 PM
[QUOTE=scottjanssens]For Sunday a high of 99 with a heat index of 110 is currently predicted. Act accordingly.

Drink lots of beer and take your shirt off!

Of course I do that as soon as it reaches 70.

SoxFan76
07-23-2005, 01:31 PM
Maybe because when it hits 100 degrees people start asking about moving the games to the night.

It becomes a matter of the players' safety after awhile. No games are going to be rescheduled, but just because the forecast says 100, that doesn't mean that is the temp on the field. It can be 20-30 degrees hotter on the field. That's just plain dangerous...I don't care WHERE you're from.

JGarlandrules20
07-23-2005, 02:01 PM
My friend just invited me and she has really good seats for this game. I'm so excited...even 100 degree weather and Jose's career ERA against Boston can't keep me from going!! :D:

chisoxfan64
07-23-2005, 03:18 PM
[ However, from what I've heard, it can get to 40 below in the winter, so even 'not as extreme' is still pretty darn cold.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but it`s a dry cold.

DumpJerry
07-23-2005, 03:40 PM
I spent a few years in Minnesota. Those 10,000 lakes they talk about? Humidifiers! Mosquito factories, too! The winters in the Twin Cities are not worse than Chicago. The numbers are bit lower, but without the humidity of Lake Michigan, the air does not bite as much as the Chicago winter wind. Northern Minnesota, however, is a different story in the winter....stay away!

The most extreme temp swings for a US city, BTW, is Fairbanks, Alaska. 100+ in the Summers, minus 60 and lower in winter.

BigEdWalsh
07-23-2005, 04:04 PM
After spending my entire life (55 years) in the Chicago & southern Wisconsin area, I moved to Utah a few weeks ago. It has been brutally hot out here though not quite as hot as down in Arizona. I finally have learned what the "dry" heat is like. Trust me, the combination of the humidity and lesser heat in the midwest is far more uncomfortable.It's only 88 out here today so you guys got cooler weather coming. :smile:

batmanZoSo
07-23-2005, 04:08 PM

I agree. People in warm climates have it easy in the winter, it's either beautiful or at worst you have to put on a sweater because it's 50. And their summers are not much worse if at all than ours. I don't think there's a worse place to live in the contiguous 48 states than Chicago (or similar midwestern climates) for the weather. Every day it's uncomfortable in one way or another. In the winter it's 15 degrees, or there's a bunch of snow coming down. In the spring it can get as cold as another area's winter. In the summer it's often over 90 degrees or very close to it and always humid. If the temperature is perfect, you can bet your ass it'll be very windy. There's pretty much no such thing as a perfect day here.

MeanFish
07-23-2005, 04:29 PM

Best city in the world? I don't know about all that. Chicago's a nice city, but weather is actually the biggest drawback to being there.

Because it gets ridiculously hot in Chi-town in the summer, and ridiculously cold in the winter, and fall and spring last a combined thirty days or so (exaggeration), I'd hardly call that good weather.

Down here in SC, for example, it gets about five degrees hotter on average during the summer than it does in Chicago. However, it rarely drops below freezing in the winter which makes the heat during the summer very, very tolerable.

From a White Sox fan standpoint, the downside is I don't get to see the team as often, but the upside is that there aren't any rivals down here. I tell people I'm a Sox fan, I get "wow, they've got a good team this year." It's really rather nice.

And yes, I do know what I'm talking about. I lived in the Chicago 'burbs for 22 years. :cool:

batmanZoSo
07-23-2005, 04:39 PM
Best city in the world? I don't know about all that. Chicago's a nice city, but weather is actually the biggest drawback to being there.

Because it gets ridiculously hot in Chi-town in the summer, and ridiculously cold in the winter, and fall and spring last a combined thirty days or so (exaggeration), I'd hardly call that good weather.

Down here in SC, for example, it gets about five degrees hotter on average during the summer than it does in Chicago. However, it rarely drops below freezing in the winter which makes the heat during the summer very, very tolerable.

From a White Sox fan standpoint, the downside is I don't get to see the team as often, but the upside is that there aren't any rivals down here. I tell people I'm a Sox fan, I get "wow, they've got a good team this year." It's really rather nice.

And yes, I do know what I'm talking about. I lived in the Chicago 'burbs for 22 years. :cool:

No way is Chicago the best city in the world. Truthfully, no one city can make that claim without sounding like a bunch of jackasses, and usually when people say it, it should be taken with a grain of salt anyway. But to me, there are only two things I like about Chicago: the block of 35th and Veeck Drive and the food (which is the best in America). Everything else, especially, the road work, tollways, and complete lack of scenery, sucks.

Daver
07-23-2005, 04:43 PM
There's pretty much no such thing as a perfect day here.

Wrong.

Opening day of deer season, temp about 25 degrees, a dusting of early fall snow on the ground, and a strong wind coming from the east.

It does not get any bet than that, ever.

MarySwiss
07-23-2005, 04:48 PM

What MeanFish said!

We moved to Ariz. because we got sick of the crappy Chicago winters after 40+ years there. And the winter makes summer tolerable (barely). And there are tons of people from Chicago in these parts.

Downside: Since the Flubs train in the Phoenix area and the Sox in Tucson, we still have to deal with all this Cubs "next-year-is-now" crap, especially during Spring Training. It was especially obnoxious during the 2004 Spring Training season when it seemed as though everybody just kind of thought the Cubs should be declared the automatic 2004 WS Champs.

Upside: Sox fans here seem to be coming out of the woodwork. Some are longtime, but as far as I'm concerned, even the bandwagon jumpers are welcome. ANYTHING to shut up the Flubs fans!

gaelhound
07-23-2005, 06:06 PM
[QUOTE=scottjanssens]For Sunday a high of 99 with a heat index of 110 is currently predicted. Act accordingly.

Drink lots of beer and take your shirt off!

Of course I do that as soon as it reaches 70.
Now thats the formula for missing the game, being burned and delirious, and being hooked to an I.V. pole at Mercy hospital! Or has Hawk would say"MERCY" Hospital:angry:

MarySwiss
07-23-2005, 06:32 PM
[ However, from what I've heard, it can get to 40 below in the winter, so even 'not as extreme' is still pretty darn cold.

Yes, but it`s a dry cold.[/QUOTE]

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

jake27
07-23-2005, 08:13 PM
i thought the winters here were terrible before i was up in maqrquette, mi (along lake superior) last year. it snows from late october til early may. it snowed just about every day because it was all lake effect and it was incredably cold, especially with winds coming right off of superior. while winters here are from nice, they are nothing like there.

StockdaleForVeep
07-23-2005, 11:14 PM

New orleans is a swamp and near the gulf, chicago was a swamp and is next to lake michigan.

Whats thew diff, other than we see snow the other half of the year

34 Inch Stick
07-24-2005, 08:16 AM
Wrong.

Opening day of deer season, temp about 25 degrees, a dusting of early fall snow on the ground, and a strong wind coming from the east.

Not if you are the deer.

DumpJerry
07-24-2005, 06:09 PM
Wrong.

Yes it will, Daver. That day will be in October, 2005 (around the same time as your perfect day), when the final out of the World Series is recorded and we are dancing on the South Side toasting the World Champion White Sox.

Can't get better than that!

SoxEd
07-24-2005, 06:21 PM
Yes, but it`s a dry cold.

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Laugh all you like - there's something in that, as any Brit train-commuter will tell you.

The train companies here spent millions of on these new trains that 'wouldn't get stuck' in our severe UK winters, and even cold-weather tested them in the Italian/Swiss Alps.

First winter here, they all got stuck in the annual 1/4 inch of snow.

The train companies said it was because 'British snow is too wet, in the Alps it's dry'. I **** you not.

Of course, in the fall British trains fail (according to the train companies anyway) b/c of 'leaves on the lines';
in the winters they fail due to 'snow on the lines';
and in the summers they have been known to resort to 'too much sunshine on the rails'.

Actually, on refelection, can what I said about there being something in the the concept of 'a dry cold' - it's just we have trains run by Pinocchio Inc... :angry:

SpringfldFan
07-24-2005, 06:46 PM
Well down here in Springfield, it *only* got up to 98, but with the A/C in my car broken I had to ride with the top down all day. Felt like the devil's kitchen, man.

SFF

Tragg
07-24-2005, 06:50 PM
New orleans is a swamp and near the gulf, chicago was a swamp and is next to lake michigan.

Whats thew diff, other than we see snow the other half of the year

The difference is that we get a constant blow of hot air from the Gulf. You get the cool air from the lake. There's no comparison between the heat/humidity here and the heat/humidity in Chicago, in intensity or duration. (a few days in the summer it gets like here, but not that many). Look at the humidity - yours was only 33% today, and ours was 78%. You can't breathe in that humidity.

Now the cold's a different thing. I most of January-March of 1999 in Chicago, and it wasn't that bad. It was always cold and dark, but not unbearable. Maybe I got lucky.
Now I went to Minneapolis in the winter a couple of times, and it was unbearable there.

RavenswoodFan
07-24-2005, 06:51 PM
After spending my entire life (55 years) in the Chicago & southern Wisconsin area, I moved to Utah a few weeks ago. It has been brutally hot out here though not quite as hot as down in Arizona. I finally have learned what the "dry" heat is like. Trust me, the combination of the humidity and lesser heat in the midwest is far more uncomfortable.It's only 88 out here today so you guys got cooler weather coming. :smile:

Having grown up there,(UT) I know what you're talking about. Winter there is just as mild in terms of humidity. I remember when I moved to Chicago and the temp was 33, and I thought no big deal..... Man, I promptly went back inside and added another layer! And 100 here is much hotter than the desert!

TornLabrum
07-24-2005, 07:05 PM
The difference is that we get a constant blow of hot air from the Gulf. You get the cool air from the lake. There's no comparison between the heat/humidity here and the heat/humidity in Chicago, in intensity or duration. (a few days in the summer it gets like here, but not that many). Look at the humidity - yours was only 33% today, and ours was 78%. You can't breathe in that humidity.

Now the cold's a different thing. I most of January-March of 1999 in Chicago, and it wasn't that bad. It was always cold and dark, but not unbearable. Maybe I got lucky.
Now I went to Minneapolis in the winter a couple of times, and it was unbearable there.

That cool breeze from the lake often makes it as much as three blocks inland.

ilsox7
07-24-2005, 07:08 PM
That cool breeze from the lake often makes it as much as three blocks inland.

Tell me about it. I live on LSD and it seemed about 15 degrees cooler on the water (aka beach) than across the street on local LSD. And at North and Wells? Forget it...oven time.

MarySwiss
07-24-2005, 07:12 PM
Having grown up there,(UT) I know what you're talking about. Winter there is just as mild in terms of humidity. I remember when I moved to Chicago and the temp was 33, and I thought no big deal..... Man, I promptly went back inside and added another layer! And 100 here is much hotter than the desert!

This is totally true. Although they do say in these parts--the Southwest--that your blood thins out, and there's truth to that also.

My first year here, I spent the whole winter in shorts. And I was in the pool (still am) by mid-March, when the older residents were sitting around in sweatshirts and thinking I was nuts.

No s***, every fall in the Valley, the stores start selling boots and mittens. Freaks me out, and always will.

But the first summer I was back in Chicago, I started feeling beaten down the moment I stepped off the plane--and it was 85 degrees!

TornLabrum
07-24-2005, 07:14 PM
Tell me about it. I live on LSD and it seemed about 15 degrees cooler on the water (aka beach) than across the street on local LSD. And at North and Wells? Forget it...oven time.

Imagine how it felt out here in Joliet today! I had ticket (in the sun) for the Jackhammers game. I stayed home and watched the Sox instead. Flipped on the Hammers game. There must have been 200 people there.

ilsox7
07-24-2005, 07:16 PM
Imagine how it felt out here in Joliet today! I had ticket (in the sun) for the Jackhammers game. I stayed home and watched the Sox instead. Flipped on the Hammers game. There must have been 200 people there.

I remember about 10 years ago...temps hit like 107 in the burbs one weekend. We played 3 baseball games, I think, that weekend. The Umps were running to the garbage cans between innings to, um, lose their lunch. It was insane. I was outside for about an hour today, which was plenty.

I love my central AC! Nice and cold here!

So.ILSoxFan
07-24-2005, 07:33 PM
Since this thread is now a "who has it worse" contest, I invite anyone who wants to visit Southern Illinois, where today's heat index maxed out at a mild 115, with tommorrow expected to be hotter. But what's worse, is the humidity...mercy!!!!

:cool:

TornLabrum
07-24-2005, 08:58 PM
I remember about 10 years ago...temps hit like 107 in the burbs one weekend. We played 3 baseball games, I think, that weekend. The Umps were running to the garbage cans between innings to, um, lose their lunch. It was insane. I was outside for about an hour today, which was plenty.

I love my central AC! Nice and cold here!

I'm so glad my a/c went out last Sunday instead of this one.