PDA

View Full Version : The HRs are great, don't get me wrong...

Region Sox
07-23-2005, 12:41 AM
BUT I also hope the team remembers how to manufacture runs like the first half. 7 of 8 runs of HR tonight, 4 of 5 runs off HR last night, and same with the Detroit series. Then when the HR aren't coming, they do not play as well. The fireworks and excitement- I love it. But I don't like in games where the long ball is not sailing out and it seems like that is the only way they can score. In short, like it was in 2003-2004, etc. All the pop ups with guys swinging underneath, etc. Great win tonight, I just hope all the power is not used up for the rest of the series.

oeo
07-23-2005, 12:43 AM
Why not crush the ball when you've got a nice knuckle ball meatball right there? I don't think Ozzie will allow them to depend on the homerun ball anyway.

Mr. White Sox
07-23-2005, 12:55 AM
Let's not forget that the one time Podsednik got on base, he stole second, went to third on an error, and scored on a sac-fly. If that's not small-ball, I don't know what is.

Region Sox
07-23-2005, 12:59 AM
It was late in the game once it was just about out of reach though. I would like to see that same thing in a 0-0 game in the first 3 innings.

Tragg
07-23-2005, 01:01 AM
Maybe we're manufacturing less - I'll take your word on that; but we've also been hitting a lot of homers all year long. And we've needed them.

Chicago83
07-23-2005, 03:29 AM
Ozzie won't let them forget. This team can both manufacture and slug, I wouldn't be worried, some games are gonna be won by the homer. I have full convidence in Ozzie's ability to keep this team going the right way.

D. TODD
07-23-2005, 07:10 AM
This team has shown that it is very capable of manufacturing runs. It also has good power, which is a good combination. Last years team was all or nothing power, which led to many solo or two run shots. A.J. & Uribe hit big 3 run blasts, which can be attributed to a better "small ball" hitting in a way also.

MeanFish
07-23-2005, 09:06 AM
This team has shown that it is very capable of manufacturing runs. It also has good power, which is a good combination. Last years team was all or nothing power, which led to many solo or two run shots. A.J. & Uribe hit big 3 run blasts, which can be attributed to a better "small ball" hitting in a way also.

We're not a smallball team. Perhaps we're also not a HR team, but I want you to consider that the two guys who hit the blasts, AJ and Juan, aren't really small-ball guys.

We've got the capable run generators like Pods, Iguchi, Ozuna, Harris, and Perez. Outside of those five, you can't expect much in the run generation category. The other guys' job is to simply hit the ball well and advance runners. Sometimes it's a single, sometimes it's a HR. Varies from night to night.

Saracen
07-23-2005, 09:38 AM
And don't forget all the stolen bases last week at Cleveland. They did not sweep that series via the homer. And that was just a week ago.

I'm sure Ozzie won't let them get away from that style of baseball.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-23-2005, 09:48 AM
Let's face it. There are a large number of Sox Fans who have a congenital need to see the Sox win every game 1-0 or 2-1. Besides the obvious need for superior pitching, they think the flipside to a winning ballclub is 8 position players that wear giant gloves they use to complete 250-times more plays in the field than the rest of the league. They are, of course, complete dopes.

For these fans, home runs are to be admonished, as though it's counterproductive to winning a ballgame. To hear these idiots tell it, the Sox won 26 world championships with a pea-shooter offense-- NOT finish second to the Bronx Bombers, over and over and over again. They are in a state of complete denial.
:o:

That's the dirty secret behind the term "balanced attack." It hides the raft of imbeciles who deep down inside themselves simply hate the home run. When the Sox win 26 world championships NOT hitting home runs, they'll have finally made a point.

:kukoo:

balke
07-23-2005, 09:59 AM
People have been saying this for a couple days. Every solo hr came at a time when it made sense nott o be swinging for a base hit. Every 3-run shot is welcomed. I only see a HR as a rally-killer if the team is down 2, and there's 1-out and everyone is swinging for the fences.

They've manufactured a run in the past 2 games, I don't know why people are worried about them hitting HR's. Its "smartball" not "smallball" and we provide a balanced attack.

Foulke You
07-23-2005, 01:09 PM
They've manufactured a run in the past 2 games, I don't know why people are worried about them hitting HR's. Its "smartball" not "smallball" and we provide a balanced attack.
Exactly. The Sox have shown this year that they can play smallball with Pods and Iguchi stealing bases and moving runners but they can also play longball with any team in the bigs. It is called BALANCE which is something that was lacking in the Jerry Manuel era.

Daver
07-23-2005, 01:20 PM
I think everyone is also overlooking the fact that the Sox have owned Wakefield since 2000, and have a history of taking his junkball deep, both at Comiskey as well as the dump they call a ballpark.

dcb33
07-23-2005, 01:41 PM
BUT I hope the Sox remember that people like Region Sox wouldn't be able to stop griping even if they went undefeated the next 10 seasons. :nuts:

Chips
07-23-2005, 02:10 PM
[QUOTE=balke]People have been saying this for a couple days. Every solo hr came at a time when it made sense nott o be swinging for a base hit. Every 3-run shot is welcomed. I only see a HR as a rally-killer if the team is down 2, and there's 1-out and everyone is swinging for the fences.
QUOTE]

I don't like seeing home runs when we are trying to make a comeback either, but when you have a tie game or we're winning by three runs, go ahead and hit one. Anyway we put runs on the board and win games is fine by me.