PDA

View Full Version : don't look now but here comes new wild card challengers

SOXfnNlansing
07-22-2005, 10:58 PM
Astros and A's are on the march! I think the Nats are going away now and so are the Yanks and Rangers. What do you think?

Banix12
07-22-2005, 11:04 PM
I think I'm happy the sox are 11 games up on second place so we don't have to worry about the wild card.

Certainly there is only one team I do not want to see win the AL wild card and that is the A's.

Houston making a run in the NL I have no problem with though I still think they could use another bat. But they are certainly better or as good as most of the teams in the NL wild card, most of which have horrible flaws.

TDog
07-22-2005, 11:05 PM
Astros and A's are on the march! I think the Nats are going away now and so are the Yanks and Rangers. What do you think?

I had the A's as the front-runner for the AL wild card a month ago. I still feel that way and cringe when I see them win. I certainly don't want the Sox to face the A's in October.

The NL wild card will come out of the East, unless it goes to the Astros, who would have to go on a tear like they did last year.

PeteWard
07-22-2005, 11:14 PM
Hell, the As might win their division.

PAPChiSox729
07-22-2005, 11:18 PM
I had the A's as the front-runner for the AL wild card a month ago. I still feel that way and cringe when I see them win. I certainly don't want the Sox to face the A's in October.

Really, the A's are the only team in the AL that I think we would have a very difficult time defeating. Yeah momentum has is a huge factor in the playoffs. But with that aside, Oakland really is the team that we would have the most trouble with IMO.

Tragg
07-23-2005, 12:10 AM
I've been rooting for the Orioles to get it all year long, but they look like toast, too.

The RedSox would be fine - not enough pitching.

Obviously Oakland scares most of us.

Astros have done a nice job - lots of young players and new starters, grounded by a top 3 in their rotation. And still hobbled by paying Bagwell 16 mill a year for no production.

Chicago83
07-23-2005, 02:19 AM

I don't understand how you can make that statement. The Yanks will not go away. They might not win it, but there is no way they are going away.

Fredsox
07-23-2005, 10:35 AM
I think I'm happy the sox are 11 games up on second place so we don't have to worry about the wild card.

Whoever wins it has an effect on us though. If MN wins it we face the #3 division winner instead as we can't face a team out of our own division in the first round (somebody correct me if I'm wrong on this). I agree that the A's are not my first choice to face, but everybody's good in the playoffs. I'd rather face a wild card winner than a division winner if possible.

Also, I don't know why I feel this way, but if we meet the A's in the playoffs I think we stomp them. They're good, but not that good.

Foulke You
07-23-2005, 12:19 PM
I'm hoping the Yankees win the Wild Card and here is why:

1) I think we match up well against them
2) Our first round matchup with them will be guaranteed to be in prime time (i.e. night games!)
3) We won't have to play the A's. This is a good thing.
4) Opportunity to exact some revenge for all the years the Sox finished 2nd to the Yanks.
5) What better way to show the world how good this White Sox team is than beating the Bronx Bombers in the playoffs?

Let me add that I wouldn't exactly be heartbroken to see the Yanks miss the playoffs either. I do hate them a lot but that hate is one of the reasons I would like to see a matchup against them.

gf2020
07-23-2005, 12:35 PM
Also, I don't know why I feel this way, but if we meet the A's in the playoffs I think we stomp them. They're good, but not that good.

"I want Parkman."

If I am the White Sox, I want to see the A's in the first round. They've had more talent in the past and still choked. Give me Buehrle, Garland and Garcia and I'll take my chances.

Sure, it will get tiring hearing of an A's-jinx from the media, but they are the weakest team and you have to have faith that the quality of our staff will eventually win out. As long as we don't have Mr. Magoo for as the umpre crew chief, I like our chances.

patbooyah
07-23-2005, 12:41 PM
yeah- our games against the As have been rediculous. if it isn't the entire team being hurt because they have been beamed, its the umpire making terrible calls. and if it isn't the umpire making terrible calls it is crede being hurt and pablo making terrbile plays.

granted, that team is hot right now, but i have a feeling they'll come back down to earth.

Podzilla_40
07-23-2005, 12:43 PM
That play at the end of the A's game last night was amazing, Kendall's lucky he didn't get his eye spiked. It's really amazing how well the Mulder trade worked out for them.

Chips
07-23-2005, 12:44 PM
There is no way the Yankmes are going away. They will that divison and I dont see Oakland winning a playoff series. They have never won a playoff series in recent years, and I do belive they were up 2-0 in a few of those series and ending up droping the next three games. We can beat Oakland in the playoffs, but I don't think they will that division or even the Wild Card.

White Sox, Yankmes, Angels and Twinkies.

Lip Man 1
07-23-2005, 01:27 PM
The Sox have had much more success going East to play the Red Sox and Yankees then going West.

The Sox need to avoid the A's like the plague. They won't win the division and I don't think they'll win the wild card because as the Fox Sports radio guys said, they have nothing to offer and no room financially to take on salary. (especially compared to the teams in the East.)

They'll make it interesting but they won't win it.

Lip

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-23-2005, 01:28 PM
There is no way the Yankmes are going away. They will that divison and I dont see Oakland winning a playoff series. They have never won a playoff series in recent years, and I do belive they were up 2-0 in a few of those series and ending up droping the next three games. We can beat Oakland in the playoffs, but I don't think they will that division or even the Wild Card.

White Sox, Yankmes, Angels and Twinkies.

but they have randy johnson!

Arkham
07-23-2005, 03:37 PM
The Sox need to avoid the A's like the plague. They won't win the division and I don't think they'll win the wild card because as the Fox Sports radio guys said, they have nothing to offer and no room financially to take on salary. (especially compared to the teams in the East.)

Kind of a good idea to ignore Fox Sports Radio guys just in general. I don't know what their salary situation is, but Juan Cruz has been tearing up Triple A as a starter, and since they don't need another starter, he could definitely fetch something in return.

batmanZoSo
07-23-2005, 04:22 PM
I don't want to go to Oakland in the first round, believe me, but I wouldn't panic if we had to face them. Remember, even the dominant A's teams of the early part of the decade couldn't get past the first round with their Billyball. So, which is stronger, our jinx or theirs?

At any rate, though, I don't see Oakland with a better record than Minnesota or Boston at the end.

downstairs
07-25-2005, 08:04 AM
I dont see Oakland winning a playoff series. They have never won a playoff series in recent years

Well, the White Sox haven't won a playoff series in... almost a century?

I don't believe history is ever any indicator. Its all about matchups, how the team is playing at the time, and of course who is the better team.

A 5 game series against Oakland is a very, very scary thing to me.

Bo Sox, LA, Baltimore, New York... I have to believe the worst we'll do against them is go 5 games (5th game, of course, at home!)

BEST case scenario is the WC coming out of the Central. I think we can beat the East champs in 5, then hopefully play a Central team (all of whom we own) in the ALCS.

Baby Fisk
07-25-2005, 08:44 AM
The Wild Card will be decided between the Astros, and, wait for it: THE METS. I ga-ron-tee. Please save this post and throw it in my face if it doesn't happen.

YA GOTTA BELIEVE! :smile:

As for Oakland, they do not scare me, because they will not make the playoffs.

SOXfnNlansing
07-26-2005, 10:19 PM
Astros and A's are on the march! I think the Nats are going away now and so are the Yanks and Rangers. What do you think? The Astros are 2 back now and the A's have the WC lead.

SOXfnNlansing
07-28-2005, 11:07 PM
A's have a 1/2 game lead in the AL and the Astros are tied for the lead

PatK
07-29-2005, 09:32 AM
What?? No Cubs??? They're the best team in baseball. Once they get Soriano, they'll be unstoppable.

SOXfnNlansing
07-30-2005, 08:49 PM
The Astros have a 2 game lead in the wild card race. The A's are up 1 1/2 games. I wonder if these teams will be able to keep winning or will they just come back down to Earth (like the O's and Nats did).

SoxRule56
07-31-2005, 03:38 PM
That would be the greatest if the Astros made the playoffs instead of the Cubs.

pczarapa
07-31-2005, 07:31 PM

I think there are teams the Sox don't match up well against, and the A's are one of them. They can't keep up the pace they're on, the A's have won 30 of the last 37, they'll cool off.

socko82
08-01-2005, 09:28 AM
Don't look now but the wild card could end up being the Angels. The A's are only one back in the loss column and still have 10 head to head left with the Angels. Bartolo Colon vs. Mark Buehrle Game 1 at the Cell.