PDA

View Full Version : Tom Tolbert rips Hawk for Thurs Red Sox telecast

Bisco Stu
07-22-2005, 11:34 PM
Tolbert's made little comments about Hawk before here and there but today he went OFF on his radio show.

Tolbert: "If you're a White Sox fan, how can you watch Hawk? Calling the players by their first names, saying "Dig, dig" when a player's going into second. Take last night's game (Thurs). Rowand is up and Hawk is saying "Alright Aaron, walk or a hit, walk or a hit. Dig into second Aaron, pick to click."

"It used to be Hawk and Wimpy, now it's Hawk and some other guy. He's been there for 20 years, maybe if you grew up with it you like it. They must like it in the midwest, but it's embarassing. Broadcasters don't do that on the West Coast. Could you imagine Duane Kuiper (Giants broadcaster) saying "dig, dig?"

Ralph (Tolbert's partner): "You'd think Chicago would be more sophisticated than that."

Tolbert also lamented missing Crede's error while getting a beer cause Hawk said Crede was "hotdogging it" on the play.

BeviBall!
07-22-2005, 11:38 PM
Tolbert's made little comments about Hawk before here and there but today he went OFF on his radio show.

Tolbert: "If you're a White Sox fan, how can you watch Hawk? Calling the players by their first names, saying "Dig, dig" when a player's going into second. Take last night's game (Thurs). Rowand is up and Hawk is saying "Alright Aaron, walk or a hit, walk or a hit. Dig into second Aaron, pick to click."

"It used to be Hawk and Wimpy, now it's Hawk and some other guy. He's been there for 20 years, maybe if you grew up with it you like it. They must like it in the midwest, but it's embarassing. Broadcasters don't do that on the West Coast. Could you imagine Duane Kuiper (Giants broadcaster) saying "dig, dig?"

Ralph (Tolbert's partner): "You'd think Chicago would be more sophisticated than that."

Tolbert also lamented missing Crede's error while getting a beer cause Hawk said Crede was "hotdogging it" on the play.

When the Skankees are on West Coast time, there is truly a giant gap in ESPNs programming. Meanwhile, Chris Berman can yelp "BACK BACK BACK" in the effing home run contest and get a free pass.

TornLabrum
07-22-2005, 11:40 PM

Remember, these people call their city "The Hub," short for "Hub of the Universe." Bahstonians are oh, so much better the the rest of us plebeians, and they'll be the first to tell you so.

samram
07-22-2005, 11:46 PM
Remember, these people call their city "The Hub," short for "Hub of the Universe." Bahstonians are oh, so much better the the rest of us plebeians, and they'll be the first to tell you so.

I think Tolbert's show is based in San Francisco, although maybe they're the ones you were referring to in your first sentence.

Anyway, I don't care what a bad basketball player turned bad radio broadcaster has to say about a team he watches once a month.

TornLabrum
07-22-2005, 11:47 PM
I think Tolbert's show is based in San Francisco, although maybe they're the ones you were referring to in your first sentence.

Anyway, I don't care what a bad basketball player turned bad radio broadcaster has to say about a team he watches once a month.

Ah, my mistake. Never mind.

SOXfnNlansing
07-23-2005, 12:01 AM
f*** everyone else.......... we are under the radar and are standing alone here

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-23-2005, 12:23 AM
I am seriously tired of mediots/other fans ripping on the Hawk. If you don't like it, don't listen to him! It's that simple!!!! I find it very funny especially when it's a Boston fan doing it. I'm pretty sure Hawk played and broadcasted games for the Red Sox, but it's not like any of the damn bandwagon fans would know that.

oeo
07-23-2005, 12:39 AM

:whocares:

I certainly don't...we're the only ones that need to like Hawk.

chaerulez
07-23-2005, 01:46 AM

Not to mention a 40 year old man who tries to so hard to be "cool" and fit into the NBA image ESPN is trying to push.

Wimpy
07-23-2005, 02:23 AM
Who is Tom Tolbert???????????

Isn't he that fluky bald white guy who wears those God-awful suits?

Screw him.

Watching other games on the free MLB package after the all star break, I have come to the conclusion that Hawk is the best!

pudge
07-23-2005, 02:58 AM
I listen to "West Coast" broadcasters all the time, and they're awful. Does anyone really think any play-by-play man in MLB brings "sophistication" to a broadcast? Maybe Buck in St. Louis - maybe. People don't get Hawk because he's different and he's a homer, so they choose to rip on what they don't understand or can't relate to. That's called narrowmindedness.

scottjanssens
07-23-2005, 03:18 AM
Hawk rules. The only other broadcaster I've heard that's even close is Dave Niehaus for the Mariners. Ironically the M's also have the absolute worst broadcaster I've ever heard in Rick Rizzs. (For further irony, Rizzs is from Chicago.)

chitownhawkfan
07-23-2005, 03:29 AM
What we need is a white guy all time 12th man who cant come to terms with the fact that he isnt hip. Just because he drops a few hip hop lines doesnt make him street or important. The fact that Tom Tolbert doesnt like Hawk makes me that much more secure in the fact that he is doing a good job. Had he been a Hawk fan, I would be concerned for Hawks sake, and Sox fans sake. The only thing I am at all baffled about is, why does Tom Tolbert have any sort of media position? I wouldnt let this fool change my oil!

chitownhawkfan
07-23-2005, 03:40 AM

I dont know if Tolbert is from Boston or not, but that doesnt stop me from hating that city. It is smaller in population than such "World Centers" as: Charlotte NC, Jacksonville FL, Columbus OH, Austin TX, and Seattle WS. Basically the city of Boston is a worthless little dump of a town, that would barely make it as a Chicago suburb. The only people who think Boston is important either live in that dump, or are from Vermont. Either way nobody outside New England even know it exists or would care if it fell in the ocean, that is unless you count the mighty states of Vermont and Maine.

BOSTON, NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOU NO MATTER HOW SELF ABSORBED YOU ARE, GO AWAY. I CANT EVEN POINT YOUR WORTHLESS LITTLE TOWN OUT ON A MAP. THE LAST TIME BOSTON DID SOMETHING IMPORTANT WAS WHEN A CERTAIN COLONIAL POWER WAS DOCKED IN THE HARBOR WITH A CERTAIN BEVERAGE. YOU ARENT IMPORTANT AND NOBODY LIKES YOU! GO AWAY!

bigfoot
07-23-2005, 07:40 AM
Tom Tolbert:Where the broadcasting genes of Steven A. Smith, the attire of Duffy Waldorf and the on-screen presence of Howdy Dowdy, tragically collide.

TornLabrum
07-23-2005, 11:19 AM
I listen to "West Coast" broadcasters all the time, and they're awful. Does anyone really think any play-by-play man in MLB brings "sophistication" to a broadcast? Maybe Buck in St. Louis - maybe. People don't get Hawk because he's different and he's a homer, so they choose to rip on what they don't understand or can't relate to. That's called narrowmindedness.

Vin Scully.

Dat Funky Motion
07-23-2005, 11:38 AM
Is that a HE GONE shirt I see? Is that a HAWK sign I see with YOU CAN PUT ON THE BOARD or I LOOOOOVE COTTON CANDY? Funny,I dont see or hear people doing this at other parks for thier play by play guys.:D:

Vernam
07-23-2005, 11:45 AM
Is that a HE GONE shirt I see? Is that a HAWK sign I see with YOU CAN PUT ON THE BOARD or I LOOOOOVE COTTON CANDY? Funny,I dont see or hear people doing this at other parks for thier play by play guys.:D:
Hawk's ability to turn a phrase is unequaled, and his homerism doesn't bother me too much. If you listen carefully, you will pick up his subtle criticism of Sox players at times and even, very occasionally, the organization. But I don't think you'll find any announcers -- homers or the dispassionate type -- speaking frankly about the people who sign their checks. Maybe some ex-announcers, like Steve Stone!

If Hawk weren't so knowledgable, the buffoon accusation might be fair. But I've never seen credible criticism about his understanding of the game. I've learned a ton from listening to him, maybe more than I ever did from baseball coaches.

VC

Hangar18
07-23-2005, 12:47 PM

That was the dumbest thing Ive ever read ......"west coast" sophistication is a bunch of BS. Alot of media types are very confused/in-denial/angry/jealous that the Cubs havnt had a "good" announcer in years, and in fact that the White SOX do. Think about this. Hawks been with the SOX since 1981 (24 years) If we didnt like him, he wouldnt have lasted here as long.

Nobody ever said ANYTHING about Harrelson until Coincidentally....NOW. Funny how also the cubs have stunk and the SOX have gotten good? Hawk-isms are all over the place, even cub fans say "can of corn". Sorry Tom Tolbert, your schpiel doesnt hold water. And ive heard a bad west coast announcer ......... Matt Vaskersian of the Padres. Think of Chip Caray and 44 cups of coffee. Hes way way over-the-top. (padre fans do like him, but only because they admit hes so "different" from what theyve had over the years-i'll buy that)

Tom Tolbert, your a Jack-Ass and just like the rest of the Sheep-like Chicago and National Media who think everything revolves around the Red Sox and Cubs. It doesnt. Lets Face it. The Chicago and National Media HATE
the SOX (only because the Cubs are an easier story to write) and more
the SOX win, the more your going to see JUNK like this. I hope we pummell
these redsox now more than ever ............

Hangar18
07-23-2005, 12:53 PM
Hawk's ability to turn a phrase is unequaled, and his homerism doesn't bother me too much. If you listen carefully, you will pick up his subtle criticism of Sox players at times and even, very occasionally, the organization. But I don't think you'll find any announcers -- homers or the dispassionate type -- speaking frankly about the people who sign their checks. Maybe some ex-announcers, like Steve Stone!

If Hawk weren't so knowledgable, the buffoon accusation might be fair. But I've never seen credible criticism about his understanding of the game. I've learned a ton from listening to him, maybe more than I ever did from baseball coaches.

VC

Excellent Post. If the guy was a fraud, unintelligent, a buffoon ....he'd be run out of here by SOX fans. (unlike 8miles north, they embrace anything/everything over a real "homer" Ron Santo, an often unintelligible buffoon whos signature call is "ohhhhhhhhh")

Hawk is as Passionate as he is Knowledgable. And Guess What? Doesnt that also size up White Sox fans perfectly? We like him because hes ..................... Just Like Us.

TommyJohn
07-23-2005, 12:56 PM
That was the dumbest thing Ive ever read ......"west coast" sophistication is a bunch of BS. Alot of media types are very confused/in-denial/angry/jealous that the Cubs havnt had a "good" announcer in years, and in fact that the White SOX do. Think about this. Hawks been with the SOX since 1981 (24 years) If we didnt like him, he wouldnt have lasted here as long.

Nobody ever said ANYTHING about Harrelson until Coincidentally....NOW. Funny how also the cubs have stunk and the SOX have gotten good? Hawk-isms are all over the place, even cub fans say "can of corn". Sorry Tom Tolbert, your schpiel doesnt hold water. And ive heard a bad west coast announcer ......... Matt Vaskersian of the Padres. Think of Chip Caray and 44 cups of coffee. Hes way way over-the-top. (padre fans do like him, but only because they admit hes so "different" from what theyve had over the years-i'll buy that)

Tom Tolbert, your a Jack-Ass and just like the rest of the Sheep-like Chicago and National Media who think everything revolves around the Red Sox and Cubs. It doesnt. Lets Face it. The Chicago and National Media HATE
the SOX (only because the Cubs are an easier story to write) and more
the SOX win, the more your going to see JUNK like this. I hope we pummell
these redsox now more than ever ............

Not quite 24 years, Hangar. He came here in 1982 with Don Drysdale, then
stepped out of the booth in 1986 to take over as GM. After moving Fisk to
left field, trading Bobby Bonilla for Jose DeLeon and other assorted crimes
against the team and fans, he departed the organization, returning from
exile in 1990.

SOXSINCE'70
07-23-2005, 01:18 PM
If you don't like it, don't listen to him!

:hawk
"Well,you know,DJ,the late great jazz drummer Art Blakey once said
'Opinions are like butt holes;everybody's got one'.I agree with the poster.
If you don't like me,sit back,relax,and strap it down listening to Rooney
and Farmer.Or you could listen to whomever.I'm not putting a gun to
anyone's head.You can't BS the fans".:D: :D:

-an example of what Hawk might say if he really cared
what a "Bahs-tonian" thought.:D: :D:

SOXSINCE'70
07-23-2005, 01:22 PM
Vin Scully.

He is one main reason i'd spend $150.00
(if I had it)on Comcast's MLB package.:cool: :cool:
(I think Charley Steiner does the TV PBP,IIRC).

He's still the best PBP man in baseball,bar none.
I'd rather hear him on Fox in October than the blather
of Joe Buck and Mr.overstate the obvious himself,
Tim McGarver.

ThatGuyOnTheL
07-23-2005, 02:35 PM
I dont know if Tolbert is from Boston or not, but that doesnt stop me from hating that city. It is smaller in population than such "World Centers" as: Charlotte NC, Jacksonville FL, Columbus OH, Austin TX, and Seattle WS. Basically the city of Boston is a worthless little dump of a town, that would barely make it as a Chicago suburb. The only people who think Boston is important either live in that dump, or are from Vermont. Either way nobody outside New England even know it exists or would care if it fell in the ocean, that is unless you count the mighty states of Vermont and Maine.

BOSTON, NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOU NO MATTER HOW SELF ABSORBED YOU ARE, GO AWAY. I CANT EVEN POINT YOUR WORTHLESS LITTLE TOWN OUT ON A MAP. THE LAST TIME BOSTON DID SOMETHING IMPORTANT WAS WHEN A CERTAIN COLONIAL POWER WAS DOCKED IN THE HARBOR WITH A CERTAIN BEVERAGE. YOU ARENT IMPORTANT AND NOBODY LIKES YOU! GO AWAY!

It owes its very existence to colleges. Were it not for the hundreds of thousands of students and professors, and the economic development they attract, Boston would be a sleepy little fishing village with a little bit of colonial history.

Mr. White Sox
07-23-2005, 02:58 PM
He's still the best PBP man in baseball,bar none.
I'd rather hear him on Fox in October than the blather
of Joe Buck and Mr.overstate the obvious himself,
Tim McGarver.

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:G4snL-m7rycJ:mlb.mlb.com/mlb/photo/photogallery/jack_buck/tribute/04.jpg
That's a 3-0 count on Willie Harris.

http://www.rlrassociates.net/inthenews/mccarvert.jpg
Well, it looks like his control might be a bit off. Look for a fastball down the middle here.

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:G4snL-m7rycJ:mlb.mlb.com/mlb/photo/photogallery/jack_buck/tribute/04.jpg
There it is, a fastball right down the middle, and the count goes to 3-1

I am a genius

TomBradley72
07-23-2005, 04:17 PM
So the Yankees announcer that screams "Yankees Win...the the the Yankees win!" (like a brazilian soccer announcer) is representative of east coast sophistication?

Where was all this b.s when Harry Caray was singing about Jody Davis?

I've never understood why it's bad for local announcers to be homers...99% of the people watching local broadcasts are fans of the local team...we're looking for entertainment, information and excitement...not journalistic purity.

And if you get past the "Hawkisms" and really listen...he's in the top 10% of intelligent baseball announcers out there...and he's not afraid to criticize the Sox when they deserve it.

My old boss used to say "you know you're over the target when you start getting alot of flack" (ie. military analogy). Sounds like we're over the target this year when it comes to the (so called) leading franchises in baseball.

How sweet it is.

MarySwiss
07-23-2005, 04:54 PM
I've always liked Hawk ever since the old Hawk/Drysdale days. But I never realized how good he really is until I got MLB.com and had to deal with some of these other guys. After getting the Boston feed on Thursday, it was soooo nice to get Hawk and DJ yesterday and hear "He Gawn!" and the other Hawkisms. And I'm really, really, really glad that today's and tomorrow's games are televised out here!

Daver
07-23-2005, 05:05 PM
Ken Harrellson is terrible, on many different levels.

batmanZoSo
07-23-2005, 05:31 PM

What a pathetic attitude for them. That's embarassing. Boston is relatively insignificant outside of the sports world, and really their sports are not that important to the rest of America, either, as much as they'd like to think so.

As for the Hawk bashing, who cares. Chicago has always had homer announcers and that's the way we like it. They reflect the attitude of the fans who live and die with their teams. They can take their nasal voiced, boring ass Vin Scully or Duane Kiper and all your so called objective and sophisticated announcers and go have a f'in picnic together.

Announcers are completely overemphasized anyway in sports. It's really not that damn important.

MarySwiss
07-23-2005, 06:12 PM

Still kinda new; am I allowed to disagree with a mod?

Daver
07-23-2005, 06:18 PM
Still kinda new; am I allowed to disagree with a mod?

Sure.

If your a fan of Ken, his arrogance, his ego,his crappy play by play, and the fact that he is Reinsdorf's biggest spy now that Joe Nosseck is gone, more power to you.

MarySwiss
07-23-2005, 06:30 PM
Sure.

If your a fan of Ken, his arrogance, his ego,his crappy play by play, and the fact that he is Reinsdorf's biggest spy now that Joe Nosseck is gone, more power to you.

Fair enough--and have at ya! I concede his ego and arrogance, but how does he differ in this respect from the rest of Broadcasters Nation? And isn't the "Reinsdorf spy" thing something Mariotti keeps saying?

I guess what I'm sayin' is, for us expatriate Sox fans, Hawk is a welcome Voice From Home. Although I must admit, I get PO'ed when he doesn't read my e-mail because I didn't include the obligatory "what do you guys think?" clause. But I can deal with that.

Podzilla_40
07-23-2005, 06:35 PM

Absolutely correct. His "down home" stories about his playing days and his lack of chemistry with DJ is pretty annoying. It seems like DJ just has to agree with Hawk, and sometimes try to act like him (the worst moments of any broadcast) just to get a word in. Plus his fallout with Wimpy lingers in my memory.

Daver
07-23-2005, 06:37 PM
Fair enough--and have at ya! I concede his ego and arrogance, but how does he differ in this respect from the rest of Broadcasters Nation? And isn't the "Reinsdorf spy" thing something Mariotti keeps saying?

If you want to know what JR is thinking, listen to Ken, he will read you the company line chapter and verse.

Listen to him, then listen to Vin Scully do a game, and you tell me if there is not a vast difference in the proffesionalism between the two. Hell Joe Buck makes Ken look like a rank amatuer.

Rocklive99
07-23-2005, 06:43 PM
I like Hawk because he has passion for the team, it might be fake, but it doesn't seem that way. Sure it gets annoying hearing him sell every move from upper management, or crediting him having a nice bowel movement to Ozzie Guillen and Ozzieball!, the dead air when things go bad, etc. and I can see how it can get annoying for opposing fans, but I guess the good outweighs it, he can really help you remember a big moment, and as much as I hate "stretch!", I find myself yelling it outloud to many long flyballs. I really liked him at the San Diego series, when he sounded drunk, that sounded enjoyable, he should do it more often.

But the good outweighs it much more when you look around the league, and those with MLBTV or Extra Innings can attest to this, there are some dreadful duos around the league, and I hate just about every national guy, except for maybe Dan Schulman.

Plus, we have a verryyy nice luxury with John Rooney doing radio so I can switch over if Hawk gets annoying or silent, the Sox PR should give some more PR to the radio team, everyone knows about Hawk.

Let's not start about DJ (I want him to do well, but a lot of the times it sounds awful, and there is that little thing about the opposite of what he says usually happening), I want to be done with this post before the 6:05 start time...

chitownhawkfan
07-23-2005, 06:48 PM
Vin Scully is great... When I feel like sleeping. Ive been more excited by librarians explaining the Dewey Decimal system than Scully calling an LA game.

MarySwiss
07-23-2005, 06:58 PM
If you want to know what JR is thinking, listen to Ken, he will read you the company line chapter and verse.

Listen to him, then listen to Vin Scully do a game, and you tell me if there is not a vast difference in the proffesionalism between the two. Hell Joe Buck makes Ken look like a rank amatuer.

So he toes the company line. So what sportscaster (who's been employed for any length of time) doesn't?

If I was having trouble sleeping, I'd seriously consider popping in a Joe Buck tape. And I'm sure I must've heard Vin Scully numerous times, but I honestly don't recall any of them, so I guess none was exactly a memorable experience, at least not for me.

And there you have it. That's what I think the job of a local sportscaster is..to make you "root, root, root for the (home team)." And make it a memorable experience...for the fan, not for himself or the superstation.

I guess it comes down to whether you object to homers or not. And I don't; in fact, I prefer them..at least on the local broadcasts. If anyone wants to start a crusade for "professionalism"--which is, BTW, a subjective term--I suggest they begin by going after the national broadcasters, where unprofessionalism and the East Coast bias run rampant. So I'll shut up now, because it's almost time for White Sox baseball--featuring Hawk and D.J. And, I cannot wait!

pudge
07-23-2005, 09:39 PM

That's why I mentioned Buck in my previous post, and I sure as heck can't argue with Scully...

But Hawk is certainly not play-by-play in the traditional sense. I would expect people to have an issue with that.

As for the ego, etc. Well what else is new? How many people who are in the limelight don't have one? Amazingly, his ego doesn't bother me during broadcasts. Until it gets to that point, Hawk is a far cry better than the alternative.

Is he a shrill? To an extent, yeah. When I stop and think about some of things I do for my employeer, I am sometimes too. Life sucks that way, but that's just how it goes.

balke
07-23-2005, 09:49 PM
Hawk does a home broadcast, and we recieve the benefits. Sucks if you're on the other team, at least he's respectful to the opposition. The worse he does is call the Sox the good guys, but he always talks up the opposition.

Joe Buck does a broadcast that includes "Scooter" the baseball. Things could be worse.

SABRSox
07-23-2005, 09:50 PM
Vin Scully is one of the very few people I've ever heard that can call a baseball game by himself and still keep it exciting.

Hawk is not at that level. Though I love the "Hawk-isms," the honest fact is that he's not a good play-by-play announcer, especially when he has to pick up DJ's slack on analysis. This is evident by the sometimes giant moments of silence in the broadcast. You don't ever see that with Vin Scully.

But when you watch the games around the country, a good 75% of other team's announcers put you to sleep. Hawk does keep it exciting, I'll give him that, and in my book, that puts him above a lot of other announcers.

But there's always room for improvement. I'd love to see him teamed with another announcer who can match his ego, or wouldn't cowtow to him. That, I believe, would make for better broadcasts.

Daver
07-23-2005, 09:59 PM
I'd love to see him teamed with another announcer who can match his ego, or wouldn't cowtow to him. That, I believe, would make for better broadcasts.

Putting John Rooney in the booth to do play by play and moving Ken back into the color analyst role would accomplish this.

SABRSox
07-23-2005, 10:19 PM
Putting John Rooney in the booth to do play by play and moving Ken back into the color analyst role would accomplish this.

Then hire Willsy back from Tampa Bay to do the PBP on the radio... wow, that makes so much sense it's scary.

SOXSINCE'70
07-23-2005, 10:24 PM

You have a point.The silences when the Sox are losing or Vizcaino walks
what seems like his 100th batter is just too much.And the "our Sox"
crap needs to go.But I guess you can pick apart any PBP guy
and find his weaknesses and call them terrible.:cool:

SOXSINCE'70
07-23-2005, 10:26 PM
That's a 3-0 count on Willie Harris.

Well, it looks like his control might be a bit off. Look for a fastball down the middle here.

There it is, a fastball right down the middle, and the count goes to 3-1

I am a genius

YOU,SIR, ARE CORRECT!!:D: :D: :D: :D:

Daver
07-23-2005, 10:45 PM
Then hire Willsy back from Tampa Bay to do the PBP on the radio... wow, that makes so much sense it's scary.

I retract my idea, forget I mentioned it. I like Dave too much to subject him to being partnered with Ed Farmer.

SABRSox
07-23-2005, 11:49 PM
I retract my idea, forget I mentioned it. I like Dave too much to subject him to being partnered with Ed Farmer.

:rolling:

That's too funny...

TornLabrum
07-24-2005, 12:35 AM

I shudder at the thought of that!

chitownhawkfan
07-24-2005, 05:26 AM
So let me get this straight, you dont like Hawk and you dont like Farmer? Then who do you like to listen to? Besides Vin "sleepy" Scully. He is awful.

Dan H
07-24-2005, 05:40 AM
I agree with Daver that the chemistry between Hawk and DJ is bad, very bad. One of them should go and it probably would be DJ if a decision like that was made. But would Harrelson get along with the next guy?

As I have said on another post, Harrelson strains his credibility when he constantly says a hitter "just missed." How can he tell the guy just missed? Yes, on a foul straight back on a great cut, you can say the guy was right on it and was off just a hair. But in the 3-0 loss to Boston, Harrelson said that when some Sox hitter popped one up into the stands behind the third base dugout. Enough already.

Harrelson should stop insulting our intelligence. Stop it with the just missed stuff already. It doesn't make me feel better about anything, especially after getting shut out.

TornLabrum
07-24-2005, 09:41 AM
I agree with Daver that the chemistry between Hawk and DJ is bad, very bad. One of them should go and it probably would be DJ if a decision like that was made. But would Harrelson get along with the next guy?

As I have said on another post, Harrelson strains his credibility when he constantly says a hitter "just missed." How can he tell the guy just missed? Yes, on a foul straight back on a great cut, you can say the guy was right on it and was off just a hair. But in the 3-0 loss to Boston, Harrelson said that when some Sox hitter popped one up into the stands behind the third base dugout. Enough already.

Harrelson should stop insulting our intelligence. Stop it with the just missed stuff already. It doesn't make me feel better about anything, especially after getting shut out.

I just think of Hawk as Maxwell Smart: "Missed it by that much."