PDA

View Full Version : *OFFICIAL* Jon Garland > Carrie Woods 15th W Game Thread 7/22

Unregistered
07-22-2005, 10:01 PM
:winner
:twinslose

(and the Cubs just lost... not that it matters. :wink:)

nedlug

CubsfansareDRUNK
Garland=15 Game Winner! :supernana:
AJ:supernana:
Uribe! :supernana:
Aaron!:supernana:

NSSoxFan
Gotta love it.

:bandance: :bandance:

cheeses_h_rice
07-22-2005, 10:02 PM
*woohoo*

Great to see some O from AJ and Juan. Rowand looks back on track, too.

Congrats to Garland for another gritty outing.

bobelou72
Mr T is are good luck charm:D:

patbooyah
pretty soon pods' steal total is going to eclipse our magic number. thats a beautiful thing.

Stroker Ace
SOX WIN!!! YESSSSS!!!!!

winning ugly 72
07-22-2005, 10:03 PM
GREAT WIN!!! Let's keep it going

Fake Chet Lemon
07-22-2005, 10:03 PM
Garland is so impressive. 1st and 3rd nobody out and getting out of it against this team! He dualed Prior almost pitch for pitch. He is stepping up big time in big games. He seems to relish it, he is the man this year. But what the HELL was Cora thinking sending Konerko? Luckily the players picked him up!

Stroker Ace
07-22-2005, 10:04 PM
Garland wins!
Twinks lose!
Flubs lose!

What a great day!

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-22-2005, 10:04 PM
i like my thread title better :tongue:

shoota
07-22-2005, 10:05 PM
Is it just me, or has Joe Crede gotten better after hurting his back?

I like 3-run home runs, and I love them in pairs.

Garland pitched great. He won his 15th game of the season tonight, and is the only man in the game to have that many wins. Here's to 20, JG. :gulp:

DieTrying79
07-22-2005, 10:05 PM
Beautiful victory!

This will look great on Garland's resume come review for the Cy Young award.

Way to get it done!

Unregistered
07-22-2005, 10:06 PM
http://www.t-shirt-town.com/ProductImages/retro-t-shirts/mr-t-commandment-t-shirt.jpg

Chicago83
It feels good to beat Boston.

Fake Chet Lemon
Rowand heating up is huge for this team!

Heffalump
07-22-2005, 10:07 PM
Props to Garland being the Stopper against the best offense in the AL!! Congrat on the ML leading 15th win!!

Props to AJ, Uribe, and everybody else coming up with some timely hits!!

Now its time for El Duque to shut down the Bosox tomorrow !!!

GO SOX !!!

Brian26
07-22-2005, 10:07 PM
pretty soon pods' steal total is going to eclipse our magic number. thats a beautiful thing.

Like two ships passing in the night :D:

MisterB
07-22-2005, 10:08 PM
And the Sox still don't lose more than 3 in a row. It's nice having multiple 'stoppers' in the rotation. :D:

PeteWard
07-22-2005, 10:10 PM
Gee, do you think the Sox lead will be down to 7 games after Sunday?

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-22-2005, 10:11 PM
we owned wakefield

Cowhead418
07-22-2005, 10:11 PM
15TH WIN... 11-GAME LEAD... SOX WIIIIIIIN.... YES!:)

balke
07-22-2005, 10:13 PM
TRADE CREDE!!! His unofficial error, NEARLY cost us this game. Come on guys, let's start a petition. I'm sick of him and his unnecessary singles, and meaningless hr's.

People need to relax on this site. Good pitching beats good hitting.

voodoochile
07-22-2005, 10:14 PM
:winner

:twinslose

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

WAY TO GO, JG!!!

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-22-2005, 10:15 PM
is everyone forgetting jenks? he pitched awsome tonight

delben91
07-22-2005, 10:15 PM
Nicely done guys. Keep it going tomorrow...El Duque is due to be lights out.

:gulp:

Foulke You
07-22-2005, 10:19 PM
Rowand heating up is huge for this team!
I'm definitely excited about Rowand's bat. He has been on fire and can really carry the offense for us while Frank is gone.

santo=dorf
07-22-2005, 10:20 PM
I'm really liking Jenks. :smile:

cheeses_h_rice
07-22-2005, 10:20 PM

You're so right. Jenks was really impressive, hitting 97 on the gun and spotting his pitches well, and using a nice curve to keep the hitters on their toes.

If he can produce in the 'pen, it will make the loss of Shingo almost a non-event.

TornLabrum
07-22-2005, 10:21 PM

But he didn't hit 100 on the gun. Trade him now!

shoota
I certainly have less to say after tonight's game than I did after yesterday's, but I will throw this out for discussion: Was anyone a little frustrated that Everett didn't give Rowand a chance to steal second? Rowand's chances of stealing against Wakefield were high, and in a close game, it would have been nice to see Rowand in scoring position with Everett at the plate.

MRKARNO
is anyone forgetting jenks? he pitched awsome tonight

Like I said in the game thread, if he can pitch like he did tonight, we might have the next Brad Lidge on our hands. The key for him is keeping the ball in the zone, but not out over the plate. Also, mixing in that curve in good spots as well, but that falls a lot on AJ. He can throw that pitch for strikes, which is critical. I can easily see now why Bajenaru got passed up and why Shingo was sent down for this guy. Very few can catch up to that fastball, and those that come close will go down swinging on that evil curveball. Letting him get in and out of a huge jam a few days ago may have been a big turning point in his development.

Frankfan4life
07-22-2005, 10:22 PM
Garland as stopper? Who'd a thunk it? Way to step up White Sox!

And, once again, great fan representation at the Cell.

GO SOX!!!!!!!!!!!

voodoochile
07-22-2005, 10:26 PM
I certainly have less to say after tonight's game than I did after yesterday's, but I will throw this out for discussion: Was anyone a little frustrated that Everett didn't give Rowand a chance to steal second? Rowand's chances of stealing against Wakefield were high, and in a close game, it would have been nice to see Rowand in scoring position with Everett at the plate.

um... no...

sweet merciful crap, man... this is all you have to say? :?:

The Sox just decimated the second best team in baseball with our hot young pitcher picking up his MLB leading 15th win and the bottom of the order producing huge numbers in a big game immediately after our stud DH goes on the DL with an injury that for all we know is career threatening.

You didn't even bother to mention your unofficial Crede error total or the fact that he is up to .252 and scored another run...

Daver, little help over here... Shoota clearly has no love in his life and needs to be put out of his misery...:rolleyes:

PeteWard
07-22-2005, 10:27 PM
Nicely done guys. Keep it going tomorrow...El Duque is due to be lights out.

:gulp: I like the pitching match-ups for the next two games even though the Sox aces are done for the Series . But Sox will need to keep scoring 5+ I think, just because Boston is such a good-hitting team.

Great two-out clutch hitting again tonight!

Another game gained on the Twins with them going to NY next week and Sox to KC!:smile:

So.ILSoxFan
07-22-2005, 10:27 PM
On top of everything that's been said...

:gulp:Pods 50th.....:D:

Lip Man 1
07-22-2005, 10:30 PM
Take that Beaneaters (and Dan McGrath)

Lip

balke
07-22-2005, 10:30 PM
um... no...

The Sox just decimated the second best team in baseball with our hot young pitcher picking up his MLB leading 15th win and the bottom of the order producing huge numbers in a big game immediately after our stud DH goes on the DL with an injury that for all we know is career threatening.

You didn't even bother to mention your unofficial Crede error total or the fact that he is up to .252 and scored another run...

Daver, little help over here... Shoota clearly has no love in his life and needs to be put out of his misery...:rolleyes:

2nd best team in baseball? I'd take the Angels over them in the AL, and right now the A's. Then the Cards in the NL. My only gripe. Boston's still in the ranks though. 1st or 2nd Best offense in baseball. And defending world champs.

voodoochile
07-22-2005, 10:35 PM
2nd best team in baseball? I'd take the Angels over them in the AL, and right now the A's. Then the Cards in the NL. My only gripe. Boston's still in the ranks though. 1st or 2nd Best offense in baseball. And defending world champs.

Point taken and the rest of my post stands, Any way you slice it, the Carmines are a team the Sox will probably face in the playoffs if they want to get to the WS. Every win counts extra against one of the best the AL has to offer.

BeviBall!
07-22-2005, 10:35 PM
AJ, JG and JU saved Cora some pain tonight. If he ever tries that with PK again, that's grounds for on-the-spot termination.

shoota
07-22-2005, 10:37 PM
um... no...

I did have other things to say. My first post in this thread, #13, is where I mentioned the important stuff: JG's MLB-best 15th win, and even gave Crede a compliment.

TornLabrum
AJ, JG and JU saved Cora some pain tonight. If he ever tries that with PK again, that's grounds for on-the-spot termination.

And in the event it happens, I nominate Daver to do the terminating.

Mercy!
I Love Small Ball!!

Oh wait. Wrong game. Nevermind.

Are 25 wins in the realm of possibility for Mr. Garland?

MRKARNO
Take that Beaneaters (and Dan McGrath)

Lip

Do you think we'll see another column from him tomorrow: "White Sox succeed in second test"? LOL :D:

Heffalump
07-22-2005, 10:38 PM

I gotta agree with that.......Konerko was out by a country mile on that one....Wasn't even remotely close.

I want Mags back
07-22-2005, 10:39 PM
Mr T is are good luck charm:D:

I Pity the Fool who don't think the Sox are the best team in Baseball

TomBradley72
07-22-2005, 10:40 PM
Proud of this team! They looked very confident....after losing last night while battling hard...not to be denied tonight.

The BoSox LF (Hydzu?) running into the wall in left was hilarious...my wife and I laughed out loud at that one.

Anyone else want to face Jenks trying to predict a 100 mph fastball or a devastating hook...he looked awesome tonight.

C'mon El Duque!

voodoochile
07-22-2005, 10:40 PM
I did have other things to say. My first post in this thread, #13, is where I mentioned the important stuff: JG's MLB-best 15th win, and even gave Crede a compliment.

whoops... nevermind...hehe...

what's this about 3-run homers though? :wink:

Unregistered
07-22-2005, 10:41 PM
I Pity the Fool who don't think the Sox are the best team in Baseball
http://www.aimchange.com/upload/celebs/Mr%20T.gif

TornLabrum
Do you think we'll see another column from him tomorrow: "White Sox succeed in second test"? LOL :D:

When pigs fly.

BeviBall!
Manny had the ball and Paulie was still about 2 strides from hitting third. DJ, "that's aggressive". No DJ, that's stupid... if you're gonna say Crede is showboating, you have to call this what it is. Why doesn't he make comments on Timo's hommage to Rickey with every fly ball? Gotta say though, Timo has played just fine in th Black Widow's absense.

BigEdWalsh
07-22-2005, 10:43 PM
Great game. Fun game to watch. Nice to see Uribe crack one and what more can be said about Garland that hasn't already been said. Stupendous!:D:

balke
07-22-2005, 10:43 PM
The Yankees fan isn't here tonight. I thought he'd congratulate us on defeating such a powerful foe.

voodoochile
07-22-2005, 10:44 PM
When pigs fly.

PIGS GROW WINGS AND FLY! IS THE CURSE FINALLY OVER?

Sox succeed in beating Sox. Did a pig land on Manny? Is it Reinsdorfs fault? Details page 8 (under the girls HS softball hightlights)

PeteWard
07-22-2005, 10:46 PM
Play of the game and AJ knows it!

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/CXS10407230208.jpeg

TornLabrum
07-22-2005, 10:46 PM
PIGS GROW WINGS AND FLY! IS THE CURSE FINALLY OVER?

Sox succeed in beating Sox. Did a pig land on Manny? Is it Reinsdorfs fault? Details page 8 (under the girls HS softball hightlights)

And you better believe it will be printed in agate type.

Lip Man 1
07-22-2005, 10:48 PM
Considering half of the starting lineup is out either resting or injured (and that includes the pitchers) I was thrilled with this one. Maybe Dye's back tomorrow, maybe Hermanson can shake off the rust better tomorrow.

Lip

TimoPerez
07-22-2005, 10:49 PM
My namesake gets no love so I'll give him some. The last two days he has stepped up when Dye got "bitten by the injury bug." He is hitting .286(2-7) with a .375 on base percentage. He has also played some very good defense. Go Timo!

:timo:

"Am I winning back the White Sox Army?"

delben91
07-22-2005, 10:50 PM
My namesake gets no love so I'll give him some. The last two days he has stepped up when Dye got "bitten by the injury bug." He is hitting .286(2-7) with a .375 on base percentage. He has also played some very good defense. Go Timo!

:timo:

"Am I winning back the White Sox Army?"

Oh man. Major league groan for the injury bug line.

And yeah, my faith in Timo is beginning to be restored...bit by bit.

TornLabrum
07-22-2005, 10:50 PM
"bitten by the injury bug."

Technically that would be the "injury arachnid."

PeteWard
07-22-2005, 10:51 PM
Contreras Weather on Sunday!

"beautiful 77-degree night is forecast to be followed by a searing heat wave. The projected temperature for Sunday's series finale is 100"

TimoPerez
07-22-2005, 11:01 PM

:redneck I guess you are right.

I was following the game on CBS Sportsline before and it said that Timo struck out in his last at-bat. I just checked MLB Gameday and it says that he reached on a fielding error by Adam Hyzdu after ten pitches. If it was the latter then Timo has really put up some impressive at-bats lately. I believe that is Hyzdu's first career error. What happened on the play? Any help is appreciated. Thanks a bunch.:smile:

ElevenUp
07-22-2005, 11:01 PM
Technically that would be the "injury arachnid.":roflmao:

SoxSpeed22
07-22-2005, 11:03 PM
Awesome battling by Garland. Get our momentum back.:bandance:

BainesHOF
07-22-2005, 11:05 PM
The last two nights can certainly be part of a case for Garland to start our first playoff game. Tonight Garland was a stud. It's the kind of performance you need if you want to win a World Series.

Don't talk to me about hits finding holes, players making errors, etc. Just win the game.

Congratulations to Garland on a great performance in the clutch.

PAPChiSox729
07-22-2005, 11:05 PM
Play of the game and AJ knows it!

AJ has become one of my favorite players. Sure he can come off as arrogant sometimes, but he has passion. That is why I love having him on this team. Great job AJ!!

:bandance:

TimoPerez
07-22-2005, 11:07 PM
AJ has become one of my favorite players. Sure he can come off as arrogant sometimes, but he has passion. That is why I love having him on this team. Great job AJ!!

:bandance:

:walkoff:

A.J.P. for M.V.P.

This entire team rules.

slavko
07-22-2005, 11:08 PM
http://www.aimchange.com/upload/celebs/Mr%20T.gif

What trees does he plant?

mdep524
07-22-2005, 11:39 PM
I was happy to see embattled hitters AJ and Uribe strike for big 3-run homers. AJ's production at the plate has been shakey at best this year, but you have to hand it to him that he hits very well with runners in scoring position. Garland was unbelievable! :gulp:

Also, Mr. T was everwhere at the park tonight. There was a guy in the rightfield stands wearing a Mr. T mask who turned around and gave a thumbs down to any Red Socks home run. Anybody see him? THAT should be the "this thread sucks" tag. :smile:

Bisco Stu
07-22-2005, 11:45 PM
http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/CXS107072222_lower.jpg

KnightSox
07-22-2005, 11:47 PM
[QUOTE=PAPChiSox729]AJ has become one of my favorite players. Sure he can come off as arrogant sometimes, but he has passion. That is why I love having him on this team. Great job AJ!!

I totally agree, remember what a pain he was to us when he was a Twin? I think he has changed a bit since then.But I don't mind seeing a little attitude as long as it's properly directed.

Mercy!
07-22-2005, 11:48 PM
Im sure poor Jermaine is getting a boatload of ribbing about his, um, injury. And that probably includes teammates suggesting new nicknames for him. I'm thinking:

Black Widow too feminine
The Brown Recluse closer, maybe, since he does seem rather quiet
Spiderman
What others?

Chisox003
07-22-2005, 11:54 PM

Ill admit, I really liked AJ back in his Twinkie days (Proof: I picked him 7th round 2 years back in fantasy baseball :o:, :whiner: )

The guy drives other teams players and fans nuts, and I couldnt be happier when KW signed him...Its paying off nicely, me thinks

As for Garland...Wow, just wow :gulp:

S05X

Viva Medias B's
07-23-2005, 12:00 AM
24 hours ago, after that tough loss we had, many of us (myself included) thought the worst. Now, it's turned out to be a perfect night!

I said then that Friday's game would be a test of our resiliency. We passed.

Mr. White Sox
07-23-2005, 12:02 AM

I was following the game on CBS Sportsline before and it said that Timo struck out in his last at-bat. I just checked MLB Gameday and it says that he reached on a fielding error by Adam Hyzdu after ten pitches. If it was the latter then Timo has really put up some impressive at-bats lately. I believe that is Hyzdu's first career error. What happened on the play? Any help is appreciated. Thanks a bunch.:smile:

What happened??? :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Random Announcer: This ball is hit deep to left. Hyzdu trailing back, back, he seems to have a good eye on the ball, and...he gets...NO! He drops it! And, owww, that's got to hurt. Perez into 2nd on the painful error by Hyzdu.

The ball went of Hyzdu's glove and he smashed head-first into the wall. I laughed at first, trying to then show my dad that Manny is an awful fielder in left, but then I realized it was Hyzdu and laughed harder for some reason.

TornLabrum
07-23-2005, 12:04 AM

Kind of like Rowand's bobble last night that wasn't scored as an error. (Of course I saw this one on TV and the other from the stands down the leftfield line, so I may be wrong. It went in and out of his glove as he was going back and reaching rather awkwardly. He then crashed into the fence.

TimoPerez
07-23-2005, 12:06 AM
What happened??? :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Random Announcer: This ball is hit deep to left. Hyzdu trailing back, back, he seems to have a good eye on the ball, and...he gets...NO! He drops it! And, owww, that's got to hurt. Perez into 2nd on the painful error by Hyzdu.

The ball went of Hyzdu's glove and he smashed head-first into the wall. I laughed at first, trying to then show my dad that Manny is an awful fielder in left, but then I realized it was Hyzdu and laughed harder for some reason.

Haha!:D: Thank you very much. It sounds like it could have been ruled a hit because Hyzdu was close to the wall and then hit into it. Is this the case or was it a definite error?

TimoPerez
07-23-2005, 12:08 AM
Kind of like Rowand's bobble last night that wasn't scored as an error. (Of course I saw this one on TV and the other from the stands down the leftfield line, so I may be wrong. It went in and out of his glove as he was going back and reaching rather awkwardly. He then crashed into the fence.

Thank you very much. You answered my question shortly before I had a chance to ask it.:tongue:

cheeses_h_rice
07-23-2005, 12:13 AM
Haha!:D: Thank you very much. It sounds like it could have been ruled a hit because Hyzdu was close to the wall and then hit into it. Is this the case or was it a definite error?

It was a blatant, obvious error. I don't think there was any possible way Hyzdu could have looked worse on the play.

TimoPerez
07-23-2005, 12:16 AM
It was a blatant, obvious error. I don't think there was any possible way Hyzdu could have looked worse on the play.

Thank you. Does that mean that if I subject myself to watching ESPN I might see it in their weekly "Not Top 10"?

Jerome
07-23-2005, 12:27 AM
O Man watching this year's Garland makes me so happy as compared to last. I always though that Garland was criticized a little too much here last year, considering his IP and his spot in the lineup. (He was pretty much the same guy that Contreras is now).

I don't know what he's doing differently, but I love it. Say what you want about how he doesn't have enough K's (Buhrle and Garcia have way more I know) but he only has given up like 25 walks all year and WHIP IMO is a stat that can measure a pitcher's effectiveness, and Garland's is an excellent 1.12.

Put that back to back with MB's 1.12 PLUS Freddy aka the best 3rd starter in baseball and you've got yourself a team that is not likely to go on long losing streaks. This starting staff is living up to the potential that we all knew at Spring Training that it had. :smile:

PicktoCLick72
07-23-2005, 12:28 AM
Went to the game today. Awesome atmosphere. JG pitched great. When AJ hit that homer the place erupted. All around great game and a big win for the team.

halfpricemonday
07-23-2005, 12:28 AM

Watching Jenks drop that nasty curve after blowing the 97 mph pitch by Millar was a beautiful thing. Hearing the crowd chant "Bo-bby! Bo-bby!" made it even sweeter. Nothing like a Sox trifecta to blow away the dark clouds from last nights error-filled aberration.

Now, just need to count down until THIS post-game thread hits 280+.

Mr. White Sox
07-23-2005, 12:44 AM
One thing that made me kind of upset watching it on TV was the insane amount of Sawx fans present. Although, of course, they are probably just Flub fans in red, the cheering during Sawx plays bothered me. Especially the two kids in Sawx gear in two seats right above the Sox dugout. They just made me wonder why WSI people couldn't be sitting there :smile:

That was an amazing game to watch, as it was basically the antithesis of last night's game. Clutch pitching, hitting, a lil' small ball, and solid D was nice to see. The White Sox and Cardinals are still the only teams in MLB not to have a 4 game losing streak, and I can see why.

JB98
07-23-2005, 12:55 AM
The top of the fifth inning was the key to the game. First-and-third with nobody out is a difficult situation regardless of who is hitting, but it's really damn tough when Damon, Renteria and Ortiz are coming up. It was outstanding pitching by Jon to get out of that mess, and that put the momentum on our side for the rest of the game.

I think this is one of our biggest wins of the year. That loss last night was just sickening, and if we had lost again tonight, it might have sent us into a tailspin. Fortunately, we don't have to worry about that, and we have Garland to thank for it.

The only concern I have from tonight is Hermanson. His location wasn't good at all. I hope it was just rust. I'm sure it's difficult to go nine days in between appearances. Hopefully, we'll have a save opportunity for him tomorrow or Sunday, and we'll be able to get him back to where he was before the injury.

StillMissOzzie
07-23-2005, 01:10 AM
Thank you. Does that mean that if I subject myself to watching ESPN I might see it in their weekly "Not Top 10"?

Yep, it was #1 for the week! However, Crede's foul pop-up error was also there at #3.

SMO
:D:

Vernam
07-23-2005, 01:19 AM
Yeah, I commented on that at the time. Even if Everett doesn't drive him in, Aaron would have scored from 2B on Konerko's hit. The homer made it moot. But especially with Pods unable to reach against Wakefield, it would've been smart for Carl to let Aaron get down there. Call me greedy, but I was disappointed not to see Pods steal 3 or 4. :tongue:

Apart from AJ's clutch hit, what I'll remember about this game is Jenks, especially the two curveball K's. Whether or not he ends up as our closer -- and my hunch is that he will -- he already contributes a lot by letting KW fill some other need(s) rather than deal for a late reliever. If there's one position I'd be afraid of over-paying for, it's closer. BBTN reasserted that Huff is available, and he'd top my wish list. Sadly, it looks like Frank isn't going to be full strength this year, and adding a lefty DH/1B is the least disruptive move (assuming no Sox position players would be included in the trade).

Uribe gets some props in Phil Rogers's recap, just posted at http://tinyurl.com/ase26.

VC

RadioheadRocks
07-23-2005, 01:25 AM
Im sure poor Jermaine is getting a boatload of ribbing about his, um, injury. And that probably includes teammates suggesting new nicknames for him. I'm thinking:

Black Widow too feminine
Spiderman
What others?

How about Daddy Longlegs? :D:

soltrain21
07-23-2005, 01:29 AM
I think this is one of our biggest wins of the year. That loss last night was just sickening, and if we had lost again tonight, it might have sent us into a tailspin.

You said that last nights loss would send us into a tailspin.

owensmouth
07-23-2005, 01:36 AM

That leaves room for Rowand's dropped ball as number two

Muopsies
07-23-2005, 02:35 AM
Did anyone else see the guy in 554 take a tremendous fall down the steps after AJ's homer? Overserved was the word of the day.

ode to veeck
07-23-2005, 07:19 AM
and even gave Crede a compliment.

you feeelin' OK shoota?

jabrch
07-23-2005, 07:34 AM

How about Glenallen?

balke
07-23-2005, 09:07 AM
O Man watching this year's Garland makes me so happy as compared to last. I always though that Garland was criticized a little too much here last year, considering his IP and his spot in the lineup. (He was pretty much the same guy that Contreras is now).

I don't know what he's doing differently, but I love it. Say what you want about how he doesn't have enough K's (Buhrle and Garcia have way more I know) but he only has given up like 25 walks all year and WHIP IMO is a stat that can measure a pitcher's effectiveness, and Garland's is an excellent 1.12.

Put that back to back with MB's 1.12 PLUS Freddy aka the best 3rd starter in baseball and you've got yourself a team that is not likely to go on long losing streaks. This starting staff is living up to the potential that we all knew at Spring Training that it had. :smile:

K's mean nothing. You're right, K/BB can be more telling. What's more telling than anything is ERA and W's. Garland's always had the ability to throw the ball like this. He did it a few times last year, but late in games would throw cookies, or just flat out didn't have it. I'm glad the ballclub didn't give up on him in a trade in the offseason (obviously).

Viva Medias B's
07-23-2005, 09:16 AM
Did anyone else see the guy in 554 take a tremendous fall down the steps after AJ's homer? Overserved was the word of the day.

Sitting in the lower reserved right field area, I saw Sox Security escort some people out of Section 514. One of them, wearing a Garland ASG t-shirt, was resistant and probably overserved. When he got to the bottom of the aisle near the exit, he lunged forward and almost went over the railing.

TomBradley72
07-23-2005, 09:22 AM

Black Widow too feminine
Spiderman
What others?

Tarantula

The Wimperoo
07-23-2005, 09:27 AM
Jinx (since Hawk and DJ seem incapable of saying Jenks) was filthy tonight. That hammer he dropped on Millar was awesome. The bottom 5 of the lineup came through tonight.

Vernam
07-23-2005, 09:36 AM
K's mean nothing. You're right, K/BB can be more telling. What's more telling than anything is ERA and W's. Garland's always had the ability to throw the ball like this. He did it a few times last year, but late in games would throw cookies, or just flat out didn't have it. I'm glad the ballclub didn't give up on him in a trade in the offseason (obviously).
Yeah, it's more impressive to me when he gives up 7 hits and pitches out of a few jams than when he completely shuts down the other team. He always shut teams down once in a while, but pitching out of jams is the new Garland. What a difference.

Also, for the Hawk bashers, note that at the very beginning of 2004, he pointed out that, unlike Manuel, Ozzie would let Garland work through difficult innings and that it would pay big dividends once he figured out how to pitch with guys on base. Hell, anyone can pitch with the bases empty. But no one can keep them empty all the time.

VC

TornLabrum
07-23-2005, 09:48 AM
Yeah, it's more impressive to me when he gives up 7 hits and pitches out of a few jams than when he completely shuts down the other team. He always shut teams down once in a while, but pitching out of jams is the new Garland. What a difference.

Also, for the Hawk bashers, note that at the very beginning of 2004, he pointed out that, unlike Manuel, Ozzie would let Garland work through difficult innings and that it would pay big dividends once he figured out how to pitch with guys on base. Hell, anyone can pitch with the bases empty. But no one can keep them empty all the time.

VC

I was impressed with the way Ozzie did the same thing Tuesday night with Jenks that he did with Garland. He loaded the bases with two out. Instead of going to the pen for another reliever, Ozzie let him pitch his way out of it, and he did.

What was the beef about Ozzie? He didn't know how to handle pitchers? Uh-huh. Just like all the talk about how he's a goof-off and could never take control of a team, that was wrong. I've heard Ozzie talk baseball, even when he was still playing for the Sox. The guy knows the game, and he did a terrific job watching good managers and bad ones, learning how to handle players.

Mercy!
07-23-2005, 09:54 AM
:hawk :dye:

"Yes!___________"S'alright"

The Dude
07-23-2005, 09:57 AM
:tomatoaward

Cowhead418
07-23-2005, 10:03 AM
Someone in the postgame thread of the first game said Garland did not pitch well in pressure situations. When I read that I thought that was the biggest BS I'd heard in a while. There have been so many jams and tough situations JG has pitched out of this year I think I he would be the pitcher I'd call to pitch out of a pressure filled situation.

nedlug
07-23-2005, 10:16 AM
I figured I might as well put this little bit in the post-grame thread -

I don't know if anyone else said this, but in 20 starts this year, JG is 15-4. While I'm not big on W-L record for pitchers, as run support come into play (something starters have no effect on), but factoring into 95% of the decisions means that Jon is and has been very very consistent this year. JG is obviously 'found it', and I believe he will only get better in the years to come, as he learns even more 'tricks'.

fquaye149
07-23-2005, 10:26 AM
The key for him is keeping the ball in the zone, but not out over the plate. Also, mixing in that curve in good spots as well, but that falls a lot on AJ. .

Also having his arm hit an exact 72 degree slot. Not 73 or 71 but 72. And doing it all blindfolded. With his left arm tied behind his back :cool:

Vernam
07-23-2005, 10:38 AM
What was the beef about Ozzie? He didn't know how to handle pitchers? Uh-huh. Just like all the talk about how he's a goof-off and could never take control of a team, that was wrong. I've heard Ozzie talk baseball, even when he was still playing for the Sox. The guy knows the game, and he did a terrific job watching good managers and bad ones, learning how to handle players.
Ozzie is the Latino Mike Ditka, only smarter and maybe even funnier. :gulp: If there's any justice, he's going to own this town. For the record, I'm not just a bandwagon-jumper, because here's something I posted the day Oz got hired: LINK (http://www.friends-partners.org/tom/blog/archives/000076.html).

Did you see his post-game comments where he credited Fisk as one of the people who taught him the most? Another cool thing about Ozzie, his rehabilitation of Fisk within the Sox family -- I love seeing Pudge at the park. Even if he's standing next to Mr. T, I suppose . . .

VC

fquaye149
07-23-2005, 11:07 AM

Black Widow too feminine
Spiderman
What others?

daddy longlegs?

edit: a day late and a dollar short on daddy longlegs
he's one long drink of water!

jeremydavid
07-23-2005, 11:23 AM
Great move and message sent by Ozzie pulling Marte in the 8th. Up 8-2 and he's not going right at people? Not under Ozzie's watch!

TimoPerez
07-23-2005, 11:26 AM
Yep, it was #1 for the week! However, Crede's foul pop-up error was also there at #3.

SMO
:D:

I saw it. Impressive. I still think it could have been a hit. It was a tough play to make because Hyzdu was going back and very close to the wall. Even though the ball missed his glove and hit him on the shoulder it was a tough play. I could see him getting a hit on that.

DAllen15
Ill admit, I really liked AJ back in his Twinkie days (Proof: I picked him 7th round 2 years back in fantasy baseball :o:, :whiner: )

The guy drives other teams players and fans nuts, and I couldnt be happier when KW signed him...Its paying off nicely, me thinks

As for Garland...Wow, just wow :gulp:

S05X

AJ is like the baseball equivalent of Dennis Rodman. Everyone resents him and his attitude until he is on your team. Then we subscribe to the mantra that he may be an bit of an a**hole, but he's OUR A**HOLE!

I love AJ & Everett, they give this team the backbone it didn't have in 2000 when our "big 3" dissappeared in the post season. You know they won't go down without a fight, and I can guarantee Tori Hunter won't take AJ out at the plate without getting a bruise or two himself!!

JohnBasedowYoda
*woohoo*

Great to see some O from AJ and Juan. Rowand looks back on track, too.

Congrats to Garland for another gritty outing.

please change your thing back to david brent

JB98
07-23-2005, 12:12 PM

No, I didn't. I said it "could" send us into a tailspin. I never said that it "would." There's a big difference between those two words.

Have you ever considered a career with the Cubune or Cub-Times? I have to admit you've done a very effective job of taking my comments out of context. :?:

ND_Sox_Fan
07-23-2005, 01:36 PM
Just to make a comment that coincides with the thread title ... Carrie Woods is 11-12 in his last 33 starts (last two years). Jon Garland is 22-10 over his last 33.

And, as we all know, 15 wins is more than Woods has ever had in one season.