PDA

View Full Version : A contraction thought...

ExSoxFan
11-24-2001, 06:20 AM
Now that the courts have stopped ( or at least delayed ) MLB from eliminating the Twinkies, a thought came to mind about how Bud & Co. might still get their way. Let me know if this sounds crazy:

Assuming there IS baseball in 2002, Bud announce that the Expos and Devil Rays will be contracted, they hold the dispersal draft, etc. However, TB ownership is told in private not to break any lease with the ballpark, and to pay the rent on the park for 2002.

After the 2002 season, once the Twins' lease has expired, Bud announce that the Twins will be sold and :beer relocate to Tampa Bay, effective in 2003.

What do you think? Sounds like a bad idea to me, but isn't MLB just FULL of bad ideas lately?

:beer

Breakfast of 12-steppers!

ExSoxFan
11-24-2001, 06:22 AM
OOPS! Looks like I had a few before posting!!
Sorry about the duplicate six packs!
...they were on sale... :smile:

Daver
11-24-2001, 04:09 PM
With the state of Florida petitioning the court to order the Marlins and the Devil-Rays to opem their books,I doubt MLB is in any hurry to mess with the Florida teams anytime soon.They already have enough problems.

GASHWOUND
11-24-2001, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by daver
With the state of Florida petitioning the court to order the Marlins and the Devil-Rays to opem their books,I doubt MLB is in any hurry to mess with the Florida teams anytime soon.They already have enough problems.

I just don't get why the Marlins wouldn't be the team being eliminated instead of the Twins.

GASHWOUND
11-24-2001, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by ExSoxFan
OOPS! Looks like I had a few before posting!!
Sorry about the duplicate six packs!
...they were on sale... :smile:

I'm wondering when Falstaff officially went off the shelves. Things to ponder.

Daver
11-24-2001, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND

I'm wondering when Falstaff officially went off the shelves. Things to ponder.

Falstaff can still be purchased in northern Wis.and some areas of Minn.I usually bring back a case or two everytime I go up there.

Jerry_Manuel
11-24-2001, 09:35 PM
I just don't get why the Marlins wouldn't be the team being eliminated instead of the Twins.

More legal trouble as Daver said.

Nellie_Fox
11-25-2001, 01:34 AM

The Marlins have a much longer term lease than the Twins, who have a relatively low-cost lease at the Metrodome for only one more year. If I remember it correctly, the Twins rent for next year is only about $500K, chicken feed compared to what it would cost to pay off the remaining lease for either of the Florida teams. That, plus the fact that the Twins, while having better attendance last year, had worse revenue, mainly because they have the worst television contract in baseball (other than the Expos.)

I'm not a conspiracy theorist; Bud Selig only has one vote through the Brewers. However, look at a map. Many of the suburbs of the Twin Cities are in Wisconsin. It's not a stretch to see some of them heading to Milwaukee to take in a ballgame should the Twins cease to exist.

ExSoxFan
11-25-2001, 06:57 AM
Nellie,

Good point!

Pohlad's greed + Bud's territorial monopoly = finding some way to dump the Twinkies.

One good thing about Minny disappearing - I won't have to see the trash bag on the outfield wall anymore!

And one more question - is Falstaff actually any good? I was too young then for beer, so I never tried any. I always imagined it being something like Blatz or Hamm's.

:chimp
:hawk

Two good reasons to have Pat Hughes and John Rooney do TV broadcasts!

Daver
11-25-2001, 01:26 PM
!

And one more question - is Falstaff actually any good? I was too young then for beer, so I never tried any. I always imagined it being something like Blatz or Hamm's.

Sadly Blatz is no longer available,a true American classic.

Hamms,the original American micro brew,is only available in select parts of Wisc.,Minn.,and Mich.

What can I tell you,I am a connasuier of cheap beer.

Nellie_Fox
11-25-2001, 11:25 PM
And one more question - is Falstaff actually any good?

This should give you a clue. They used to ship beer to Vietnam by large pallet loads. When a shipment would arrive at the PX, the Schlitz (good beer back then, nothing like today) Bud, Miller High Life, etc. would be sold out in a day or two. There were always pallets of Falstaff and Carling's Black Label available, no matter how long it had been since the last beer shipment.