PDA

View Full Version : Ticket buyers beware

putherawaywet
07-22-2005, 03:37 PM
Please consider this a public service announcement for all Sox fans going to the cell without tickets.

I went to the game last night and got off the el at 7:30. I bought two tickets from one of the goons that is usually there. As I tried to enter the stadium, the scanner read "refund". I was instructed to go to the gate 4 window where I learned that the tickets had been reported stolen and the ones I held were no good. I was forced to buy another pair in the corner of the upper deck to get in. I called the team today and learned that there was nothing that could be done and I had basically gotten the shaft.

go Sox

in da house record 10-4

ilsox7
07-22-2005, 03:40 PM
Keep an eye out on WSI for tickets. There are usually people selling here (at face, of course) and you can be pretty sure you won't get ripped off.

Hangar18
07-22-2005, 03:42 PM
Those guys from the projects selling Tickets .......... I NEVER buy from.
Hate seeing those "NEED A TICKET" signs, only to know they dont really "Need"
the ticket, but simply want to sell them again .........

maurice
07-22-2005, 03:48 PM
Outsmarted by a "goon." What a kick in the nuts.

LVSoxFan
07-22-2005, 03:53 PM
You're in good luck if you check on craigslist.com--I've done it many times. I got one for the second Cubs game there. I got the guy's cell phone number and met him at the park.
Also, try walking among the tailgaters--usually they have some.

As a last resort, I'll often see people before the game at Jimbo's (on 33rd) trying to unload some.

But I would never go with one of those 35th St. bridge guys. Even worse, now they'll be waving around printed-out Internet tickets from TM. All some guy needs is a copy machine and he could bilk people out of hundreds of dollars.

Iwritecode
07-22-2005, 03:59 PM
I bought two tickets from one of the goons that is usually there.

<In my best car mechanic voice> Well there's your problem.

Frank the Tank
07-22-2005, 10:14 PM
On the bright side, its nice to see big crowds and sell-outs at the cell. My personal favorite is when the locals try to sell parking spaces to fans that don't exist.

voodoochile
07-22-2005, 10:47 PM
On the bright side, its nice to see big crowds and sell-outs at the cell. My personal favorite is when the locals try to sell parking spaces to fans that don't exist.

Doesn't seem much profit in selling to people who don't exist...:?:

Frank the Tank
07-22-2005, 10:56 PM
Doesn't seem much profit in selling to people who don't exist...:?:

I meant the parking spaces.....duh

Example:

Trying to get someone to pay $18 to park in an alley

voodoochile
07-22-2005, 11:16 PM
I meant the parking spaces.....duh

Example:

Trying to get someone to pay $18 to park in an alley

I know what you meant, but you didn't type it that way and I cannot resist a good straight line...:tongue:

Brian26
07-22-2005, 11:20 PM
But I would never go with one of those 35th St. bridge guys. Even worse, now they'll be waving around printed-out Internet tickets from TM. All some guy needs is a copy machine and he could bilk people out of hundreds of dollars.

Those 35th Street guys are ****ing out of control lately. It's like walking through Iraq to get down to the light. On Tuesday night I was weaving through the guys as they jumped in front of me left and right waving tickets and peanuts and bottled water and who the hell knows what else...I finally get around some 400 pound ****er, and another guy is just standing there, who I proceeded to crash into and knock on his ass. I know it's not officially Sox property, so they really don't have jurisdiction over there, but the cops should clean that **** up. It's nuts.

DumpJerry
07-23-2005, 09:53 AM
Those 35th Street guys are ****ing out of control lately. It's like walking through Iraq to get down to the light. On Tuesday night I was weaving through the guys as they jumped in front of me left and right waving tickets and peanuts and bottled water and who the hell knows what else...I finally get around some 400 pound ****er, and another guy is just standing there, who I proceeded to crash into and knock on his ass. I know it's not officially Sox property, so they really don't have jurisdiction over there, but the cops should clean that **** up. It's nuts.
It is a distraction, but also validation for our new found popularity. Last night I saw two idiots trying to sell tickets while wearing Flub shirts!!! I was tempted to say something, but my personal policy is to ignore them and keep walking, they are like the curbside barkers in the French Quarter who try to get you into their strip joints.

Viva Medias B's
07-23-2005, 10:13 AM
Those guys from the projects selling Tickets .......... I NEVER buy from.
Hate seeing those "NEED A TICKET" signs, only to know they dont really "Need"
the ticket, but simply want to sell them again .........

In other words, the sign should read "NEED INVENTORY" I wish the cops would crack down on this scam artists.

eurotrash35
07-23-2005, 10:48 AM
We had the misfortune of trying to get tickets for Monday night's game. Scalpers were selling the half-price upper deck tickets for about $30 a pop. We had to drive home a little early thanks to the bomb threat on the L and 2 hour walk to the stadium. Those scalpers are scumbags.

DumpJerry
07-23-2005, 01:00 PM
In other words, the sign should read "NEED INVENTORY" I wish the cops would crack down on this scam artists.
amen to that.

peeonwrigley
07-23-2005, 01:22 PM
I was waiting outside Gate 5 for friends from about 6:40 til 7:05 last night and watched a few people openly reselling tickets right in front of the gate. Security just watched them for twenty minutes, and then right about gametime they busted them. Very strange. Why didn't they either not bust them, or bust them right away?

Brian26
07-23-2005, 01:26 PM
Honestly, if you're going to go the route of buying a ticket from someone (and I'm not advocating this), your safest bet (if you're coming off the EL) is to walk down 35th Street, walk across the Ryan ramp, and get a bit closer to the park. Usually you can spot some people trying to get rid of extras. At that point, you remain cool about it and tell the other person "let's take a walk". Make sure you're well enough away from the entrances and ticket booths...maybe go over to the parking lot area a bit, then make the transaction.

RetireWoodys28
07-23-2005, 02:20 PM
It is a distraction, but also validation for our new found popularity.

Last Monday, walking across the bridge from the red line, I saw a guy trying to sell tickets in a "Sox Suck" shirt. Apparently, he wanted to appeal to this "new found popularity" of the team, and the shirt was the only article of clothing he owned with the name "Sox" on it!

mrzerofan
07-23-2005, 02:35 PM
:bs:

Really, isn't it illegal to re-sell tickets anyway? It would be easy, just station a cop right there and they would be busted.

Vernam
07-23-2005, 02:41 PM
I was waiting outside Gate 5 for friends from about 6:40 til 7:05 last night and watched a few people openly reselling tickets right in front of the gate. Security just watched them for twenty minutes, and then right about gametime they busted them. Very strange. Why didn't they either not bust them, or bust them right away?
Yeah, that is odd. Did they literally arrest the guys or just run them off?

VC

SoxEd
07-23-2005, 02:50 PM
Last Monday, walking across the bridge from the red line, I saw a guy trying to sell tickets in a "Sox Suck" shirt. Apparently, he wanted to appeal to this "new found popularity" of the team, and the shirt was the only article of clothing he owned with the name "Sox" on it!

To me, that's a possible indication that he's a bona fide Sox fan scalping fakes to Cub fans coming to cheer on the opposition.

Who else is going to buy from him?

EDIT: Not sure how much of this post belongs rightfully in teal.

ewokpelts
07-23-2005, 04:05 PM
I'm not trying to be racist, but buying/selling from the black hustlers is dumb. You'll always get a better price(whether you're a buyer or seller) closer to the park and from white guys. The black guys on 35th/dan ryan work for brokers. They go to all the stadiums/venues and are paid to buy SUPER LOW and sell SUPER HIGH.......

also, there's a gold coast tickets on 35th and lowe(inside the hotdog stand)...all the guys selling on the street near him work for him.....also avoid them like the plague....

Gene

chisoxfan64
07-23-2005, 04:22 PM
I recommend buying tickets from a reputable scalper, Like the Tribune Corp.

Mercy!
07-23-2005, 05:13 PM
Outsmarted by a "goon." What a kick in the nuts.
Kinda like buying a watch out of the trunk of a car, and then discovering later - GASP! - it's not really a Rolex.