PDA

View Full Version : Info on Dye's Spider Bites

bumptious96
07-22-2005, 03:29 PM
Dye

Those insect bites on Jermainehttp://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/photos/uncategorized/spidey.jpg Dye's leg evidently came from a spider while the team was in Cleveland. According to Ken Williams, Dye's leg looks "grotesque" from the multiple bites, which have become infected. He may still be available tonight depending on how he responds to medicine.

From official White Sox Blog

Iguana775
07-22-2005, 03:41 PM
Dye

Those insect bites on Jermainehttp://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/photos/uncategorized/spidey.jpg Dye's leg evidently came from a spider while the team was in Cleveland. According to Ken Williams, Dye's leg looks "grotesque" from the multiple bites, which have become infected. He may still be available tonight depending on how he responds to medicine.

From official White Sox Blog

I hope it's not a Brown Recluse spider

http://www.brown-recluse.com/index.html?google1

Those are nasty!!!

ChiSoxPatF
07-22-2005, 03:48 PM

Those are nasty!!!

Horrific.:mg:

LVSoxFan
07-22-2005, 03:50 PM
I've had spider bites numerous times--while sleeping, eek!--and they are no laughing matter.

The last one I got caused the side of my neck to swell up grotesquely--it looked like I had a tumor. From an itsy-bitsy spider, no less--it wasn't like I got bit by a tarantula.

I would imagine that this, on top of infection, would be nasty.

MarkyBear
07-22-2005, 04:02 PM
They say most of us have ate a spider in our sleep, just some FYI to make this thread even more anti-spider! :D:

RKMeibalane
07-22-2005, 04:03 PM
It looks like we've found a nickname for Dye.

Iwritecode
07-22-2005, 04:08 PM
Remind me to never stay in Cleveland then.

Jeez, I've been bit by spiders before but it's usually just one bite. Not multiple bites...

**Hey cool. You can delete your own message within a thread and then re-post them in a different thread. :D:**

scottjanssens
07-22-2005, 04:16 PM
It looks like we've found a nickname for Dye.

Maybe they'll play the Spider-Man song when he bats.

balke
07-22-2005, 04:18 PM

There's enough outfielders with the nickname spider-man. 1 being enough when its Torii Hunter.

scottjanssens
07-22-2005, 04:26 PM
There's enough outfielders with the nickname spider-man. 1 being enough when its Torii Hunter.Ew, I didn't know that. Spidey's all tainted for me now.

bluestar
07-22-2005, 04:34 PM
Jeez, I've been bit by spiders before but it's usually just one bite. Not multiple bites...

It is extremely rare for a single spider to bite multiple times. I suspect Dye was either bitten by multiple spiders or it is a single spider bite that has produced a number of "satellite vesicles." (Some spider bites can produce a bite area that looks like several bites.) Reaction to spider bites varies greatly depending on the person, the area bitten, etc.

Infected spider bites can be a very serious matter. Although the only two highly poisonous spiders found in North America are the Black Widow and the Brown Recluse, almost all spiders are poisonous to some degree. Their bites are usually more irritating than dangerous, but spider bites that become infected can cause significant damage to the affected area.

It is almost impossible to determine the exact type of spider that has bitten someone unless the spider can actually be captured. Many spider bites (and other bug bites) yield similar results. Many spiders produce a vesicle that is similar to the one produced by the Brown Recluse, but the Brown Recluse bite will often result in much more serious long term effects known as "necrotic arachnidism."

BeviBall!
07-22-2005, 04:44 PM
Ew, I didn't know that. Spidey's all tainted for me now.

What about Black Widow? Reminds me of Black Vulcan from Superfriends.

scottjanssens
07-22-2005, 04:56 PM
Dye is out of the lineup tonight. (As is Iguchi, no knuckleballers in Japan?)

Chez
07-22-2005, 05:32 PM
Dye is out of the lineup tonight. (As is Iguchi, no knuckleballers in Japan?)

Timo in right and Everett DH'ing? What about Gload for Konerko? Paulie has problems with knuckleballs.

BeviBall!
07-22-2005, 05:33 PM
Timo in right and Everett DH'ing? What about Gload for Konerko? Paulie has problems with knuckleballs.

Shaping up to be a great series, eh? Once again, Garland has to suffer the wrath of the "B" squad hitting behind him.

scottjanssens
07-22-2005, 05:34 PM
Pods, LF ... Rowand, CF ... Everett, DH ... Konerko, 1B ... Pierzynski, C ... Crede, 3B ... Perez, RF ... Uribe, SS ... Harris, 2B ... Garland, RHP.

BeviBall!
07-22-2005, 05:35 PM
Pods, LF ... Rowand, CF ... Everett, DH ... Konerko, 1B ... Pierzynski, C ... Crede, 3B ... Perez, RF ... Uribe, SS ... Harris, 2B ... Garland, RHP.

That bottom four makes me physically ill.

Sxy Mofo
07-22-2005, 05:36 PM
That bottom four makes me physically ill.

I'm no crede hater, but when you've got him batting 6th... ouch.

Chez
07-22-2005, 05:36 PM
Well with Wakefield pitching, at least we'll face Mirabelli and not Varitek.

BeviBall!
07-22-2005, 05:38 PM
I'm no crede hater, but when you've got him batting 6th... ouch.

If we win this game, with this lineup... we're going to The Series. No doubt in my mind.

LVSoxFan
07-22-2005, 05:41 PM
Interesting: no knuckleballers in Japan. Never thought of that.

Wakefield's a badass, although I do recall us lighting him up at Fenway last year.

As for the all the spider info.... eek!

scottjanssens
07-22-2005, 05:54 PM
Interesting: no knuckleballers in Japan. Never thought of that.

I don't know that, I'm just speculating. I don't see any other reason for it. Iguchi rested the other day and Harris if 0 for 4 against Wakefield.

LVSoxFan
07-22-2005, 05:58 PM
This is going to be a tough game for sure. If we can pull this one out with the sort-of "B" team, then I'd say we're in pretty good shape.

Boston's hitting is amazing though. And Manny Ramirez? What a monster at the plate.

fquaye149
07-22-2005, 06:02 PM

I'd rather hear the spiderbite song -

"when you got that spiderbite on your had/ i thought we would have to break up the band"

scottjanssens
07-22-2005, 06:05 PM
Not having Frank or Dye doesn't seem to be too awful for tonight.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/bvsp?pitchTeam=2&teamId=4

vs. Wakefield

Frank 7 for 36 .194/.268/.472/.741
Dye 6 for 34 .176/.222/.294/.516(!)

Everett and Rowand have decent past performances, but the ABs are too low to draw any firm conclusions (10 and 8 respectively). Some people just can't hit the knuckler. Ripkin Jr. always said he was messed up for a couple games after facing a knuckler.

Crede_For_Me
07-22-2005, 06:52 PM
Well kinda hard to make a line up when it has not been out yet, eh?

scottjanssens
07-22-2005, 07:01 PM
Well kinda hard to make a line up when it has not been out yet, eh?

When what hasn't been out yet?

Crede_For_Me
07-22-2005, 07:03 PM
The lineup for tonight.

SoxEd
07-22-2005, 07:06 PM
The lineup for tonight.

The lineup is available on Scott Reifert's blog Inside the White Sox, here (http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/inside_the_white_sox/).

Crede_For_Me
07-22-2005, 07:08 PM
Hmm that place has been wrong before....

SoxEd
07-22-2005, 07:10 PM

Given the author's position with the Sox, I reckon most of us are probably prepared to trust him until proved wrong.

Crede_For_Me
07-22-2005, 07:11 PM
I respect that, i am just saying. Does he have insider info? What is the deal with any trades we might make? does he have stuff posted like that?

scottjanssens
07-22-2005, 07:11 PM

Barring a late scratch and/or direct contact to Ozzie, it doesn't get much more authoritative.

scottjanssens
07-22-2005, 07:12 PM
I respect that, i am just saying. Does he have insider info? What is the deal with any trades we might make? does he have stuff posted like that?

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/team/exe_bios/reifert_scott.html

Crede_For_Me
07-22-2005, 07:19 PM
for now on in him I trust, lol he was right.

Taliesinrk
07-22-2005, 07:33 PM
I don't know that, I'm just speculating. I don't see any other reason for it. Iguchi rested the other day and Harris if 0 for 4 against Wakefield.

Maybe cuz Iguchi played like an all-star last night...

batmanZoSo
07-22-2005, 07:59 PM

Those are nasty!!!

Brown Recluse is like certain death. You spasm so hard you break your own back and spit your guts out. But that's after your skin melts off.

Dolanski
07-22-2005, 08:51 PM
Since we are talking Cleveland and Spiders, weren't the Indians once known as the Spiders? Poor JD, he gets bit by spiders, breaks his leg fouling a ball off of it, is this guy hard luck or what?

StockdaleForVeep
07-22-2005, 09:51 PM
Maybe crazy carl wanted some playing time so he prayed to God for a plague and spiders were sent at dye. I can imagine everett in a black cloak holding a candle and laughing

Stroker Ace
07-22-2005, 10:49 PM
http://www.brown-recluse.com/index.html?google1:bundy :chunks

Soxzilla
07-22-2005, 11:40 PM
Brown Recluse is like certain death. You spasm so hard you break your own back and spit your guts out. But that's after your skin melts off.

Am I the only one that got this!?

:rolling::rolling::rolling:

Of course, if you stick a NEEDLE in your HEART, it makes it all better right?:redneck:rolleyes:

delben91
07-22-2005, 11:49 PM
Am I the only one that got this!?

:rolling::rolling::rolling:

Of course, if you stick a NEEDLE in your HEART, it makes it all better right?:redneck:rolleyes:

"Yo man, you totally ****ed up your Ferrari"

"It's not mine, and neither is this."

Soxzilla
07-22-2005, 11:51 PM
"You want me to inject this thing into my ****ing heart? Are you ****ing nuts?"

:redneck

:hijacked:

pczarapa
07-22-2005, 11:52 PM
I hope he recovers ok, my neighbor's son got bit in the ankle by a brown recluse that was in his shoe in the garage. He was in the hospital for a week and it took him a full month to recover fully. It was the nastiest looking thing I've ever seen.

balke
07-23-2005, 12:09 AM
He didn't really get bit by a recluse, at least not that I've heard. I think that would be a much bigger deal, the skin doesn't grow back and you can potentially lose a limb. its an acid, not venom.

PAPChiSox729
07-23-2005, 12:22 AM
If we win this game, with this lineup... we're going to The Series. No doubt in my mind.

Start saving up for your tickets now.

:wink:

dcb33
07-23-2005, 02:12 AM
I just hope JD's run in with spiders doesn't cause him to start having Glenallen Hill-style nightmares when he sleeps near glass tables.

MiamiSpartan
07-23-2005, 09:39 PM
I've had spider bites numerous times--while sleeping, eek!--and they are no laughing matter.

The last one I got caused the side of my neck to swell up grotesquely--it looked like I had a tumor. From an itsy-bitsy spider, no less--it wasn't like I got bit by a tarantula.

I would imagine that this, on top of infection, would be nasty.

Same thing happened to me a number of years back. Happened on my left cheek, and it also blew up the size of a silver dollar. I was so pretty then!!:D: The good thing was that when it finally healed, it gave me a dimple, so I actually ended up looking BETTER than before the bite...:redneck