PDA

View Full Version : Pravda sports editor speaks! ULTIMATE MediaTroll McGrath's Cubune column

maurice
07-22-2005, 11:53 AM
Sox falter in first credibility test

Yes, exactly. Their .660 W% / 62 wins + double-digit division lead + all those games against the 1st place Angels, 1st place Orioles, 1st place Padres, Twins, Jndjans, etc. give the Sox zero "credibility." The "first test" is whether they win Game 1 against a team with a .558 W%.

:dtroll:

The money quote from Media Troll Dan McGrath:
As glitzy as the White Sox record is, as easily as they are running away with their division, there's a nagging sense of artificial dominance, like a Nebraska non-conference football schedule.

This just it, jackass: The AL Central is the best division in the AL.

Flight #24
07-22-2005, 01:12 PM

That "nagging sense" is that Dan McGrath is a moron, and that the Cubune is ans has been waiting to pounce on any and all opportunities to slam the Sox.

I'm not sure if Dan visits WSI, but that article makes me wish he'd come on here and defend himself. Or that I had the time to head on over to the Trib tower, find Dan, and give him the ol' :whatever:

PaleHoseGeorge
07-22-2005, 01:29 PM
That "nagging sense" is that Dan McGrath is a moron, and that the Cubune is ans has been waiting to pounce on any and all opportunities to slam the Sox.

I'm not sure if Dan visits WSI, but that article makes me wish he'd come on here and defend himself. Or that I had the time to head on over to the Trib tower, find Dan, and give him the ol'

Dan McGrath is Pravda's sports editor. Besides writing tripe like this, this alleged "Sox Fan" is in charge of the assorted corporate shills who write the headlines for the sports section. Not even George Knue (the Cubune website editor) can defend him, admitting that he has changed the slanted headlines that Dan's crew has created for the paper edition. McGrath is also the Pravda editor who that clueless Wall Street Journal reporter quoted saying, "We try to be as fair as we can." The clueless WSJ reporter never bothered to ask how one becomes editor of Pravda sports.

In other words, there is no news that Dan McGrath would write this. The fish rots from the head down.

Any other questions?

SOXPHILE
07-22-2005, 01:30 PM
Dan McGrath is supposedly a Sox fan, and is from the south side. But he is also very buddy buddy with Johnny Baker, and was seen high fiving him in the locker room, I believe after they won the division in 2003. Who says there's a conflict of interest over at The Tower ?

TommyJohn
07-22-2005, 01:33 PM

Yes, exactly. Their .660 W% / 62 wins + double-digit division lead + all those games against the 1st place Angels, 1st place Orioles, 1st place Padres, Twins, Jndjans, etc. give the Sox zero "credibility." The "first test" is whether they win Game 1 against a team with a .558 W%.

My God! They're a horrible 0-1 against Boston! Sound the alarms!!

Nagging sense? What about when the goddamn 2003 Cubs went into the
playoffs with a ****ing 88-74 record? Anyone have any "nagging doubts"
then? Oh, yeah. "Anyone doubt that this isn't a team of 'Dustiny'?"
(GIGGLE)

**** the whole ****ing lot of these bastards. They can go rot. I hate
the Chicago sports media.

tacosalbarojas
07-22-2005, 02:07 PM
Dan McGrath is supposedly a Sox fan, and is from the south side. But he is also very buddy buddy with Johnny Baker, and was seen high fiving him in the locker room, I believe after they won the division in 2003. Who says there's a conflict of interest over at The Tower ?McGrath a SOX fan...doesn't matter, his bosses aren't and they're the ones that count. What really got me going in his article though was this: "Let's face it - if postseason baseball is to be played in Chicago this year, the South Side will be the site." 'Let's face it'? Give me a break...how about "let's embrace it" or "let's get behind it" or even "let's thank God for this season the SOX have put together".

Jerome
07-22-2005, 02:53 PM
That McGrath quote is absolutely ridiculous.

cheeses_h_rice
07-22-2005, 02:57 PM
McGrath also inserted this completely egregious blurb in his writeup of the Sox game, too:

The Red Sox had been in town just last month for three interleague games against the Cubs. The rare convergence of two storied teams with similar star-crossed backgrounds made the history angle irresistibleóCooperstown's Doubleday Field would have been a more fitting venue for that series than Wrigley Field, and the games themselves took on the feeling of exhibitions.

What that has to do with the White Sox....I dunno.

Flight #24
07-22-2005, 03:06 PM
McGrath also inserted this completely egregious blurb in his writeup of the Sox game, too:

By "rare", he must mean "at least once a year", since "two storied teams with similar star-crossed backgrounds " play each other in Chicago at least that often.

McGrath, come on out and get your whuppin'!

maurice
07-22-2005, 03:14 PM
The rare convergence of two storied teams with similar star-crossed backgrounds made the history angle irresistible

:chunks

Seriously, this guy has to be an even bigger media troll than Moronotti.

cheeses_h_rice
07-22-2005, 03:18 PM
:chunks

Seriously, this guy has to be an even bigger media troll than Moronotti.

I know.

The Cubs -- "star-crossed"? What the **** does that mean? Was there some secret decade of winning baseball and championship appearances on the North Side that I somehow missed?

samram
07-22-2005, 03:41 PM
I know.

The Cubs -- "star-crossed"? What the **** does that mean? Was there some secret decade of winning baseball and championship appearances on the North Side that I somehow missed?

Man, why do you have to ask all these questions about "winning" and "championships?" Why can't we just agree that the Cubbies are the greatest sports franchise in American history?

:woo-woo

"Works for me, but then again, what do I know about working?"

:knue
"Thanks, Danny, you make me look capable of forming a rational thought, although I don't recall the last time I did so!"

Dick Allen
07-22-2005, 03:42 PM
This all brings to mind one of my favorite Bobby Knight quotes concerning the media: "We all learn to write in 1st grade, and then go on to other things."

White Sox Randy
07-22-2005, 03:48 PM
I've read many pieces that he has written and was absolutely certain that he is a flubs fan.

Who is certain that he is a Sox fan? I can't believe it.

Hangar18
07-22-2005, 03:49 PM

GREAT ........ so in the very near future, start looking for these quotes from Blue Sheep Cub "fans"

"Dude, the Cubs are more star-crossed than the Sox"
or
"Cubs are more storied than the sox man"
"what do you mean more storied"
"Cubs have more stories to tell man!"

Lip Man 1
07-22-2005, 04:36 PM
From Bob Vanderberg's interview with WSI. He talks about McGrath. (For those who don't know Bob is the associate sports editor of the Tribune and the author of four books on the Sox..)

ML: Since you work for the Tribune do you catch a lot of flak from Sox fans who feel that youíre part of that "conspiracy" against the team?

BV: "I have. A few years ago I was at Sox Fest, trying to sell a few more books. The Tribune invited me to share their booth since they werenít using all of it. Since it didnít cost anything I said sure. So when fans came around Iíd show them the books and a lot of them said no because the Tribune was a "Cub paper." I tried explaining that these books were about the Sox and that I was a Sox fan but it didnít matter. Perception becomes reality. The fans just donít get the connection that the Tribune Company owns a number of different newspapers, radio and TV stations. They own papers in Orlando, TV stations in Los Angeles, Denver and New York. They donít just own the Cubs. But I will say that the perception of the Tribune as a "Cub paper" has cost us a lot of fans. A lot of people now get the Sun-Times because of it."

ML: Well we know youíre a Sox fan, beat writer Paul Sullivan is a Sox fan, columnists Melissa Isaacson comes from a Sox family, and didnít you tell me the new Sports Editor of the Tribune is a Sox fan?

BV: "Thatís right. Dan McGrath is the new Sports Editor. Heís from the South Side, went to St. Leo high school, lives in Beverly and roots for the Sox".

ML: Seriously do Sox fans have a legitimate beef against the Chicago media?

BV: "I think they do have a beef to a certain extent. Primarily against the TV stations and I donít mean the sports anchors themselves. A lot of the folks who work for the stations come from out of town and live in the North Side area. They get more exposed to the Cubs then the Sox, that probably does influence them somewhat when they start picking and choosing what goes on the air and in what order. I think that was at least part of the reason the Sox switched the start times of night games to 7:05 from 7:30. They wanted to try to get a better shot at making the late sports."

Lip

TornLabrum
07-22-2005, 04:46 PM
From Bob Vanderberg's interview with WSI. He talks about McGrath. (For those who don't know Bob is the associate sports editor of the Tribune and the author of four books on the Sox..)

ML: Since you work for the Tribune do you catch a lot of flak from Sox fans who feel that youíre part of that "conspiracy" against the team?

BV: "I have. A few years ago I was at Sox Fest, trying to sell a few more books. The Tribune invited me to share their booth since they werenít using all of it. Since it didnít cost anything I said sure. So when fans came around Iíd show them the books and a lot of them said no because the Tribune was a "Cub paper." I tried explaining that these books were about the Sox and that I was a Sox fan but it didnít matter. Perception becomes reality. The fans just donít get the connection that the Tribune Company owns a number of different newspapers, radio and TV stations. They own papers in Orlando, TV stations in Los Angeles, Denver and New York. They donít just own the Cubs. But I will say that the perception of the Tribune as a "Cub paper" has cost us a lot of fans. A lot of people now get the Sun-Times because of it."

ML: Well we know youíre a Sox fan, beat writer Paul Sullivan is a Sox fan, columnists Melissa Isaacson comes from a Sox family, and didnít you tell me the new Sports Editor of the Tribune is a Sox fan?

BV: "Thatís right. Dan McGrath is the new Sports Editor. Heís from the South Side, went to St. Leo high school, lives in Beverly and roots for the Sox".

ML: Seriously do Sox fans have a legitimate beef against the Chicago media?

BV: "I think they do have a beef to a certain extent. Primarily against the TV stations and I donít mean the sports anchors themselves. A lot of the folks who work for the stations come from out of town and live in the North Side area. They get more exposed to the Cubs then the Sox, that probably does influence them somewhat when they start picking and choosing what goes on the air and in what order. I think that was at least part of the reason the Sox switched the start times of night games to 7:05 from 7:30. They wanted to try to get a better shot at making the late sports."

Lip

I have only one thing to say about this, Lip: It's hard to reconcile what Bob says with what McGrath writes.

Lip Man 1
07-22-2005, 04:48 PM
Hal:

Not defending or disagreeing with anything that's been said, just posting the information. Personally McGrath turned me off when he sent an e-mail to that fan ripping him apart.

As a professional I can tell you that was totally unprofessional. If McGrath was 'bothered' that much by it he should have ignored it.

Lip

shoota
07-22-2005, 05:05 PM

I read this article this morning and was appropriately disgusted with it. My first reaction to reading the headline was the same as yours.

One of my complaints about the way the Chicago media covers the Sox is how they cannot just analyze and discuss the Sox without bringing the Cubs into the discussion. McGrath does this twice in his article. One very inappropriate gush-fest where he deviates from bashing the Sox's credibility to write about the Red Sox and Cubs series from a month ago, and one where he writes about former Cub pitcher, Matt Clement, and how Cubs fans feel about letting him leave in free agency.

Setting aside the anti-Sox tone of his article, his writing is bad journalism. This piece was written very casually, full of jokes and random subject changes. I expect better on a message board, let alone a Chicago daily. McGrath starts by Sox bashing, then switches to Cubs gushing, then to the Star Spangled Banner and back to the Sox, switches again to Matt Clement and how Cubs fans feel about him, to analysis of the previous day's Cubs game, before awkwardy trying to return to his original topic in the last paragraph.

Dan McGrath sure doesn't write like a Sox fan, and honestly, how he writes about the Sox is more important to me than his baseball allegiances.

shoota
07-22-2005, 05:12 PM
One of my complaints about the way the Chicago media covers the Sox is how they cannot just analyze and discuss the Sox without bringing the Cubs into the discussion.

If a sports writer cannot find enough information to write about in an article about the best team in baseball, then he's either a poor or biased journalist.

IowaSox1971
07-22-2005, 06:11 PM
I think the only reason McGrath wrote the article was so that the Tribune could have an extra story about this series, so the coverage of it would at least somewhat approach the ridiculous hype that surrounded the Cubs-Red Sox series. Yet, McGrath did not make an intelligent point in the entire article, so he should have just stayed home. What a waste of newspaper space.

TommyJohn
07-22-2005, 06:17 PM
This all brings to mind one of my favorite Bobby Knight quotes concerning the media: "We all learn to write in 1st grade, and then go on to other things."

An even better Bobby Knight quote is (I have to paraphrase it) If I ever need
a brain transplant, I'll ask for a sportswriter's brain, that way I'll know I'll be
getting one that hasn't been used yet.

maurice
07-22-2005, 06:36 PM
Dan McGrath is the new Sports Editor. Heís from the South Side, went to St. Leo high school, lives in Beverly and roots for the Sox

At best, what we have here is an allegation that McGrath rooted for the Sox when he first became sports editor. This says nothing about what happened since then. His own words and his apparently intimate relationship with cub management, OTOH, speak volumes.

TornLabrum
07-22-2005, 06:58 PM
At best, what we have here is an allegation that McGrath rooted for the Sox when he first became sports editor. This says nothing about what happened since then. His own words and his apparently intimate relationship with cub management, OTOH, speak volumes.

It's called synergy.