PDA

View Full Version : Thomas on DL/ Gload Stays

bumptious96
07-22-2005, 02:43 PM
WSCR the Score reports Thomas is officially on the DL with inflammation in his surgically repaired left ankle. Ross Gload will take his place on the 25 man roster.

CHIsoxNation
07-22-2005, 02:45 PM
I'm not too surprised. I'm glad to see Gload back up!

MsSoxVixen22
07-22-2005, 02:48 PM
Forgive me guys for saying this but Frank needs to suck it up but at least we get to see Ross coming back up tho. Hopefully he can come through with some hits

Sufferin
07-22-2005, 02:51 PM
but if it's affecting his hitting than we're better off with him on the DL and not trying to play through it.

bennyw41
When do you think he will get his first action?

PatK
Forgive me guys for saying this but Frank needs to suck it up but at least we get to see Ross coming back up tho. Hopefully he can come through with some hits

Yeah, he needs to keep playing and aggravate his injured ankle more. That's the best way to improve on a .219 average.

Chez
07-22-2005, 02:52 PM
At the risk of inciting the FORG (as well as stating the obvious), replacing Frank with Gload is a net loss. A rather substantial net loss. Yes, Gload did well last year; but for a team which struggles to score five runs a game, losing Frank is bad news.

CHIsoxNation
07-22-2005, 02:54 PM
I think losing Frank is also a big loss, however other than the occasional home run here and there, he hasn't helped us out all that much the past couple of weeks. When he came off the DL he was fantastic. I think going back down will help him clear some things in his head and focus for the last stretch of the season.

patbooyah
07-22-2005, 02:55 PM
At the risk of inciting the FORG (as well as stating the obvious), replacing Frank with Gload is a net loss. A rather substantial net loss. Yes, Gload did well last year; but for a team which struggles to score five runs a game, losing Frank is bad news.

yeah, but what would you rather have? Gload or Frank with a bum ankle?

we have to work with what we have here.

RKMeibalane
07-22-2005, 02:55 PM

If Frank fractures the ankle again, his career is over. Furthermore, because he puts so much weight on his front foot when he hits, it's important that the pain in his ankle has decreased to the point that he can hit normally and drive the ball the way we're used to seeing.

MsSoxVixen22
07-22-2005, 02:56 PM
Yeah, he needs to keep playing and aggravate his injured ankle more. That's the best way to improve on a .219 average.

Excuse me, all I was saying was I think Frank makes a big deal out of nothing sometimes. It's not like his hitting is consistant. But if he comes back off the DL and he's hitting the damn ball then it's all good

cleanwsox
07-22-2005, 02:57 PM
Gload hit over .300 last year. Nobody on our roster right now is doing that and most of them aren't even close. Add to the fact he is ripping it up in the minors and there is no way you can say there is a net loss right now. Especially with Everett filling in for Frank. DH is one position we can afford to lose someone at and not be crippled.

RKMeibalane
07-22-2005, 02:57 PM
I think losing Frank is also a big loss, however other than the occasional home run here and there, he hasn't helped us out all that much the past couple of weeks. When he came off the DL he was fantastic. I think going back down will help him clear some things in his head and focus for the last stretch of the season.

He's not going back to Triple-A. He's being shut down for two weeks, or until whenever the pain in his ankle decreases. There is a difference between going on a rehab assignment and not playing at all. For the next fifteen days at least, Frank will be doing the latter.

patbooyah
07-22-2005, 02:58 PM
Excuse me, all I was saying was I think Frank makes a big deal out of nothing sometimes. It's not like his hitting is consistant :angry:

david wells in the house!

kevingrt
07-22-2005, 02:59 PM
Well at least Frank is going on the DL now instead of late September or something. It has looked as of late that Frank is getting a little tired and just not looking or hitting like himself at the plate. Good time for him to take a break and come back strong for the last part of the season.

I don't mind this move at all and I really want to see Gload come back and start popping the ball. This kid can hit for average and I think he should do a stellar job off the bench now that he is on the team.

And guess what... this means more Willie... lol

BridgePortNative
IDK if Frank well ever be maybe at most 1/2 of good as late as first half of 04. There are permanent metal pins/screws in his ankle and he said it swells pretty much every game. We might be seeing the last year of Frank's career.

RKMeibalane
Excuse me, all I was saying was I think Frank makes a big deal out of nothing sometimes. It's not like his hitting is consistant :angry:

What are you referring to? The bone spur that caused him to miss the last five weeks of '99? The torn triceps muscle that caused him to miss all but twenty games in 2001? The same injury that bothered him in 2002?

Frank has been accused of "being a baby" before, and each time, his injuries were found to be much more serious than the media or fans believed. And, for the record, his hitting has not been consistent because his ankle has been bothering him.

CHISOXFAN13

Frank has been "sucking it up." To be fair, the last time people got on him about "sucking it up", he was lost for the season.

WHile it sucks that he will be gone for a short period of time, it sure beats not having him when it matters more latye in the season.

jackbrohamer
Excuse me, all I was saying was I think Frank makes a big deal out of nothing sometimes. It's not like his hitting is consistant. But if he comes back off the DL and he's hitting the damn ball then it's all good

I don't recall Thomas ever making a big deal out of "nothing." His ankle injury was severe and career-threatening and he's obviously played in a lot of pain all season.

Iwritecode
07-22-2005, 03:00 PM

Yea, like the time he had a bone spur the size of a golf ball removed from his ankle and doctors said he shouldn't have been able to walk much less play professional baseball on it...

RKMeibalane
07-22-2005, 03:01 PM
Yea, like the time he had a bone spur the size of a golf ball removed from his ankle and doctors said he shouldn't have been able to walk much less play professional baseball on it...

I'm amazed at the stupidity that's been on display for the past few weeks. It's mind-boggling.

SomebodyToldMe
07-22-2005, 03:02 PM

Be careful. You're allowed to pretty much complain about everyone on the team EXCEPT for Frank here.

Flight #24
07-22-2005, 03:03 PM

Paulie? 'Zat you? Hey man - you might want to get back to the batting cages rather than raggin on the best hitter on the team (when healthy) and the best in franchise history.

Sheesh. You'd think by now, after having pretty much every single one of Frank's absences be related to a pretty frickin' major injury, people would give him the benefit of the doubt.

Iwritecode
07-22-2005, 03:03 PM
I'm amazed at the stupidity that's been on display for the past few weeks. It's mind-boggling.

Best team in baseball + best baseball message board on the internet = it's bound to happen.

RKMeibalane
07-22-2005, 03:05 PM
Be careful. You're allowed to pretty much complain about everyone on the team EXCEPT for Frank here.

Once again: Frank has suffered several major injuries in his career, all of which were, at one point or another, thought to be career-threatening. If he fractures his ankle again, he's done. I think that's reason enough for him to be careful. Now, why don't you go back to your coloring book and crayons?

Chez
07-22-2005, 03:09 PM
Gload hit over .300 last year. Nobody on our roster right now is doing that and most of them aren't even close. Add to the fact he is ripping it up in the minors and there is no way you can say there is a net loss right now. Especially with Everett filling in for Frank. DH is one position we can afford to lose someone at and not be crippled.

As I said, Gload did a nice job last year (in about 200 AB's). Before last year, he was a career minor leaguer. Losing Thomas is a big net loss. But don't believe me -- take a poll of 50 American League pitchers on who they would rather face Ross Gload or Frank Thomas.

maurice
07-22-2005, 03:11 PM
Gload hit over .300 last year. Nobody on our roster right now is doing that

http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/6459.jpg
<cough>

MsSoxVixen22
07-22-2005, 03:13 PM
Wow I say one thing and everyone jumps on me. I guess I will comment alot less for fear someone will tear my head off.

He gone
07-22-2005, 03:13 PM
Hopefully Frank returns by September when he'll need to play to get ready for October. :cool: We were fine before Frank returned and we'll be fine with him gone again. Ross's left-handed bat will hopefully take away at bats from Timo :D: Plus Ross being a 1st baseman, means no more Timo at 1st :D:

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/5629/0706051085we.jpg

cleanwsox
07-22-2005, 03:14 PM
As I said, Gload did a nice job last year (in about 200 AB's). Before last year, he was a career minor leaguer. Losing Thomas is a big net loss. But don't believe me -- take a poll of 50 American League pitchers on who they would rather face Ross Gload or Frank Thomas.

Pods was a career minor leagues and there are a bunch of other solid MLB players out there who have taken the same path. It doesn't matter who pitchers would rather face if Frank is getting out all the time.

Also, you can't compare Gload to Thomas since Gload won't be taking Frank's spot.. Everett will be the guy to compare now.

maurice
07-22-2005, 03:17 PM
Wow I say one thing and everyone jumps on me. I guess I will comment alot less for fear someone will tear my head off.

"Commenting" is fine, but making up BS like your name is David Wells or Jay Moronotti will have predictable results.

GAsoxfan
07-22-2005, 03:18 PM
Let Frank take all the time he needs to get that ankle well enough to not affect his hitting. A healthy Everett is better than a gimpy Thomas.

MsSoxVixen22
07-22-2005, 03:19 PM
"Commenting" is fine, but making up BS like your name is David Wells or Jay Moronotti will have predictable results.

Whoa whoa whoa guys!! I NEVER said my name was either one of those guys! :o:

cleanwsox
07-22-2005, 03:20 PM
Whoa whoa whoa guys!! I NEVER said my name was either one of those guys! :o:

He meant to say you were talking like one of those morons.

bumptious96
07-22-2005, 03:20 PM
Dye

Those insect bites on Jermainehttp://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/photos/uncategorized/spidey.jpg Dye's leg evidently came from a spider while the team was in Cleveland. According to Ken Williams, Dye's leg looks "grotesque" from the multiple bites, which have become infected. He may still be available tonight depending on how he responds to medicine

Garlandfan33
07-22-2005, 03:23 PM
I agree with most the people on the board that you can't compare Gload to Thomas but look at some of the end results. First, Gload gets used to seeing some major league pitching which he hasn't seen in a while so that come playoffs he will be a little better off. Also realize that when Crazy Carl had full time DH in the beginning of the season he was on fire who is to say that won't happen again. Yea, the sox are hitting a small bump in the road but most this stuff is manangeable. Give a while and see what happens.

MsSoxVixen22
07-22-2005, 03:27 PM
He meant to say you were talking like one of those morons.

Ouch! Gee thanks for calling me one of those guys! :(:

cleanwsox
07-22-2005, 03:31 PM
Dye

Those insect bites on Jermainehttp://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/photos/uncategorized/spidey.jpg Dye's leg evidently came from a spider while the team was in Cleveland. According to Ken Williams, Dye's leg looks "grotesque" from the multiple bites, which have become infected. He may still be available tonight depending on how he responds to medicine

:hijacked: Always wanted to use that guy.

duke of dorwood
07-22-2005, 03:37 PM
Actually we now have a back-up first baseman, finally-so we can substitute for our barley .250 hitting , clean-up hitter. Maybe we can get 3 hits in a row sometimes with Gload in the line up-we sure arent now.

RKMeibalane
07-22-2005, 03:59 PM
Assuming that all he needs is rest, Frank will be back just in time for those worthless bastards from the north.

DickAllen72
07-22-2005, 04:21 PM
It's good for Frank to rest that foot and come back for the stretch run and playoffs.

Now that Gload is finally back, I hope he starts tonight against the knuckleballer. In fact, Gload should be starting at 1B at least 50% of the time while Frank is out. Let Konerko battle for AB's with Carl, Jermaine, Aaron and Pods.

Carl should be the primary DH, but Konerko can DH while Carl is playing outfield to give one of the starters a day off. Konerko can start at 1B against pitchers he handles well if Gload struggles at the plate.

GAsoxfan
07-22-2005, 04:24 PM
Actually we now have a back-up first baseman, finally-so we can substitute for our barley .250 hitting , clean-up hitter. Maybe we can get 3 hits in a row sometimes with Gload in the line up-we sure arent now.

Amen to that. Get Gload in there and let's see if he can keep hitting well. Konerko has played in 92 of the 94 games this year. Some days off would be good for him.

shoota
07-22-2005, 04:34 PM
Assuming that all he needs is rest, Frank will be back just in time for those worthless bastards from the north.

That's the way I am looking at this situation. We all know that Thomas--even when he returned to the team and was hitting home runs at a high rate--isn't 100%. Allowing Frank and El Duque DL time off during the middle of the season is one huge benefit of owning a 10-game division lead.

Frank has said that he's going to have to play though injury all season, and that his ankle won't get any better until he's had months of offseason rest and healing time. So maybe staying off his feet for two weeks can help heal his ankle and get him a little bit closer to 100%.

And finally bringing Ross Gload back to the team is a positive.

SpammySosa
07-22-2005, 04:54 PM
Ouch! Gee thanks for calling me one of those guys! :(:

If the shoe fits......and in this case it is a perfect fit.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-22-2005, 04:59 PM

Oh... sounds like you have something to say.

Go ahead and tear up Frank Thomas. However I wouldn't count on Ms.Vixen offering you much effective support.

:cool:

MsSoxVixen22
07-22-2005, 05:13 PM
Oh... sounds like you have something to say.

Go ahead and tear up Frank Thomas. However I wouldn't count on Ms.Vixen offering you much effective support.

***? Thanks alot!:angry: :angry: :angry: I may not know alot about baseball but I do know alittle. More than most of my girl friends! I will NOT share my thoughts with the rest of you in the future. And maybe being a girl some comments may have hurt more than they should have. Some ***holes on here should learn to cut people some slack now and then!

PaleHoseGeorge
07-22-2005, 05:18 PM
***? Thanks alot!:angry: :angry: :angry: I may not know alot about baseball but I do know alittle. More than most of my girl friends! I will NOT share my thoughts with the rest of you in the future. And maybe being a girl some comments may have hurt more than they should have. Some ***holes on here should learn to cut people some slack now and then!

Whoops... I'm sorry. I didn't realize you were still spoiling for a fight about Frank Thomas.

Please, be my guest. Continue.

http://www.weeklyfilm.com/images/Moviepics/jules.gif
Oh, you were finished. Well, allow me to retort.
What does Marcellus Wallace look like?

Say "what" again! I DARE YOU!!! I DOUBLE DARE YOU!!!!

MsSoxVixen22
07-22-2005, 05:30 PM
Whoops... I'm sorry. I didn't realize you were still spoiling for a fight about Frank Thomas.

Please, be my guest. Continue.

http://www.weeklyfilm.com/images/Moviepics/jules.gif
Oh, you were finished. Well, allow me to retort.
What does Marcellus Wallace look like?

Say "what" again! I DARE YOU!!! I DOUBLE DARE YOU!!!!

I wasn't.....maybe I mistook the whole Ms.Vixen wouldn't offer any good back up or whatever it was that was said. My fault then I guess. I'm gonna chalk it up to a crappy day at work. My apologies. I need one of these :gulp:

PaleHoseGeorge
07-22-2005, 05:39 PM
I wasn't.....maybe I mistook the whole Ms.Vixen wouldn't offer any good back up or whatever it was that was said. My fault then I guess. I'm gonna chalk it up to a crappy day at work. My apologies. I need one of these

Any thread I can work in a Pulp Fiction reference is a good thread in my book.

:wink:

http://www.progressiveboink.com/b/images/100film/65.jpg

"My girlfriend is a vegetarian, which pretty much makes me a vegetarian, so I can't normally get them... but I sure do love the taste of a hamburger... Say! You know what they call a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in France?"

FielderJones
07-22-2005, 05:47 PM
Actually we now have a back-up first baseman, finally-so we can substitute for our barley .250 hitting , clean-up hitter.

I like barley! Especially when mixed with malt and hops. :tongue:

cleanwsox
07-22-2005, 05:50 PM
"My girlfriend is a vegetarian, which pretty much makes me a vegetarian, so I can't normally get them... but I sure do love the taste of a hamburger... Say! You know what they call a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in France?"

I don't know, Matt Lecroy?

guillen4life13
07-22-2005, 05:53 PM

Haven't continued reading, but I can honestly say that that's one of the most uninformed statements I've seen in a while.

I can't think of a time when Frank has made a big deal out of an injury (a bigger deal than has been needed). If you can give me an instance (within the last 5 years), then I'll eat my words.

He's played with bone spurs and a bum ankle. When he ripped his triceps, that injury was very severe and made it impossible for him to play at anywhere near a professional level.

Frank may sometimes whine about his contracts... but he has never (to my knowledge) whined about injuries. In almost every case, he has actually proved everyone wrong about the severity of the injury.

If Herm thinks he needs to be on the DL, then he needs to be on the DL. Period.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-22-2005, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by PaleHoseGeorge
"Say! You know what they call a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in France?"

I don't know, Matt Lecroy?

Okay, now that's funny!

:thumbsup:

:roflmao:

Crede_For_Me
07-22-2005, 06:44 PM
Hey guys i am kinda new, I had an account but I forgot what the account name was and my email got shut down because I forgot to log on, but anyway, I really like this move. At this point Carl Everett is a better overall hitter than Frank is and Pauly needs some rest. So altogether this could be a blessing in disguise

Deadguy
07-22-2005, 07:06 PM
More than most of my girl friends! I will NOT share my thoughts with the rest of you in the future. And maybe being a girl some comments may have hurt more than they should have. Some ***holes on here should learn to cut people some slack now and then!

Your comment was blasted because it was ignorant. Don't use your gender as an excuse for demanding some extra slack, because no one cares.

It is just text on a screen, and your comments are going to be taken for face value. Deal with it.

RallyBowl
07-22-2005, 07:53 PM
:walnuts "Maggs would play through it."

This is a minor setback for us, but Frank will get some well needed rest, and we will continue to survive/ thrive without him. Did I hear someone questioning Frank's abilities this year? This 6'5" 270 lb man is playing on a sugically repaired ankle. Anyone who questions him might first sit back and question how he has done anything at all this year. He has a lot of weight on that ankle, and surely he has been playing through a lot of pain, as he has done before. I don't care if he goes on the 15 day DL every other 15 days. All I care is that he can help us when he can, so we can win a world series. We deserve it and so does he.

voodoochile
07-22-2005, 08:15 PM

Really? Can you name an example of Frank making a big deal out of a minor injury?

voodoochile
07-22-2005, 08:16 PM

No, you can complain about the best player in team history if you really want to...:rolleyes:

voodoochile
07-22-2005, 08:21 PM
:walnuts "Maggs would play through it."

LOL!

:walnuts
"Frank's got the weakest ankles of any player I ever played with."

MsSoxVixen22
07-25-2005, 10:11 AM
Your comment was blasted because it was ignorant. Don't use your gender as an excuse for demanding some extra slack, because no one cares.

It is just text on a screen, and your comments are going to be taken for face value. Deal with it.

I believe I admitted my comment wasn't that accurate. I was by no means using my gender as an excuse. Sheesh. Funny no one else has said I'm using my gender as an excuse. I did not expect anyone to care. All I said was that I may take comments like yours deadguy, alittle harder because I am a girl. If you wanna call that an excuse be my guest. We are all entitled to our opinion-deal with it.

bobj4400
07-25-2005, 03:45 PM
If the score report that Thomas injury is worse than originally thought and he may be out for an "extended period" is true, does getting Mike Lowell with AJ Burnett become more important? Just looking for thoughts on this...

I am lukewarm on getting either of them, as I think a late reliever and backup middle infield help is more important right now.

Thoughts???

jshanahanjr
07-25-2005, 04:13 PM
It sounds bad about Frank. I guess you have to make a move if Big Frank is lost for the year. The comforting thing is Ozzie knows the Marlins roster well and should get what he needs to win it all.

RKMeibalane
07-25-2005, 04:15 PM
It sounds bad about Frank. I guess you have to make a move if Big Frank is lost for the year. The comforting thing is Ozzie knows the Marlins roster well and should get what he needs to win it all.

What is actually being reported?

jshanahanjr
07-25-2005, 04:51 PM
That Frank flying to LA to meet with the doctor who performed the surgery, and is discouraged about his foot/ankle.

Pulaski
07-25-2005, 05:08 PM
That Frank flying to LA to meet with the doctor who performed the surgery, and is discouraged about his foot/ankle.

I just heard the same thing. Without Frank we could be in trouble. I knew about 10 ames ago that something was wrong with Frank when he started striking out a lot.

Who do we get with a bat?

RKMeibalane
07-25-2005, 05:17 PM
I just heard the same thing. Without Frank we could be in trouble. I knew about 10 ames ago that something was wrong with Frank when he started striking out a lot.

Who do we get with a bat?

Roberto Alomar