PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox fans are annoying ..

Sly
07-22-2005, 01:55 PM
Ever wonder what it would have been like had the Cubs won the Series in '03? (Actually, don't comment on that)

I bet it would have been pretty close to what you're seeing from the Red Sox fans this weekend. I was at last night's game and I just couldn't take it.

Got off the train, there's a guy selling Red Sox beads and hats. Took my seats and there's five girls ("Red Sox fans since Oct. '04!") holding up signs for the entire game. Manny hits the homerun and some 56-year-old woman is shrieking and shrieking and shrieking. Johnny Damon comes to the plate and everyone's screaming, not seeming to mind that he's the ultimate Z-list celebrity.

If I see one more book, HBO special or movie dedicated to these chowderheads, I'm going to puke. Other teams have won the World Series, you know ...

When we win it this season, I hope we don't come off like these goons.

Hangar18
07-22-2005, 02:00 PM
A good percentage of them are very likely Cub Sheep, jumping onto that bandwagon in a shameless attempt at rooting for a winner. Im seeing thru
that the last couple of years with the Medias way-too-numerous Cubs vs Red Sox comparisons

PatK
07-22-2005, 02:03 PM
A good part of those "Red Sox fans" are Cubs fans rooting against the Sox.

"We're rooting for the Red Sox because we're like brothers"

SkeetSkeetAmit
07-22-2005, 02:05 PM
It was great hearing some of those Red SOX fans last nite complimenting The Cell and saying it was better than Wrigley.

Jerko
07-22-2005, 02:08 PM
There will be 3 groups of fans at the rest of this weekend's games: Sox fans, Cub fans with Red Sox hats on, and Yankee fans with Yankee hats on cheering against Boston, but not necessarily for, the White Sox.

CHISOXFAN13
07-22-2005, 02:09 PM
There will be 3 groups of fans at the rest of this weekend's games: Sox fans, Cub fans with Red Sox hats on, and Yankee fans with Yankee hats on cheering against Boston, but not necessarily for, the White Sox.

Let's no get carried away. I go to several road games, and I'm sure there are several "die hard" Red Sox fans who are doing the same here.

Stroker Ace
07-22-2005, 02:10 PM
While out at college in NY during the series last year, you have no idea how many people jumped on the Blowsawks bandwagon. All of a sudden, everyone who wasn't a Yankmee fan was a lifelong supporter of the Blowsawks. Same thing for the Patriots. If you weren't and Eagles fan, you loved the Pats.

Baby Fisk
07-22-2005, 02:14 PM
It was damn confusing! Last night, there was a guy in a Yankee hat sitting next to a guy in a Cardinals hat near the visitors' dugout. Were they both there to cheer against Boston or for Chicago? :?:

Over By There
07-22-2005, 02:16 PM
Had this exchange with the annoying Red Sox fan (ARSF) sitting in front of me last night:

ARSF: Without all of us, you wouldn't even be able to fill this place up.

Me: Yeah, having all the bandwagon jumpers here really helps with the attendance.

ARSF: (after 5-10 second pause) ...no, um, there aren't any Yankee fans here.

Dorks. :rolleyes:

PatK
07-22-2005, 02:21 PM
Had this exchange with the annoying Red Sox fan (ARSF) sitting in front of me last night:

That's when I'd say something like "Oh, so how did you like Wednesday's game?"

Hangar18
07-22-2005, 02:39 PM

Excellent deduction. I think 1/2 of the "redsox fans" that I encountered
last nite, were all in reality disgruntled cub fans. What a bunch of losers.
If I were a Red Sox fan, and some cub fan comes up to me and says he loves my Bosox too and let him aboard the bandwagon so he can try to INTERMINGLE both teams histories, Id kick him him in the pants ....:mad:

Hangar18
07-22-2005, 03:10 PM

Me: Yeah, having all the bandwagon jumpers here really helps with the attendance.

ARSF: (after 5-10 second pause) ...no, um, there aren't any Yankee fans here.

I had this following exchange back on Monday June 13th. I boarded my flight from SanDiego to Phoenix (in which I bumped into William Hung, told him to start watching SOX games) and on my connecting flight, I saw that it was stopping in Chicago, then on to Providence RI. Well, as I exited the plane at Midway, I saw a TON of people in line to board my plane, ALL with Red Sox hats, jerseys, caps, flags, pennants, signs, pullovers.........and MANY also had Cub souvenirs and memoribilia in their hands. As I walked by them, some noticed my SOX jacket on and I then Replied "hey how did you guys do?" Some in the crowd WHOOPED it up they "had a great time" "wrigleys great" to which I had to remind them
"Thanks for laying down to the Cubs.............and LOSING 2 out of 3 NICE"
that felt good

cheeses_h_rice
07-22-2005, 03:16 PM

Let's not forget resident Yankee fan, WSI's own Paid Santiago, who was copping 'tude in the game chat last night.

Jerko
07-22-2005, 03:53 PM
Let's no get carried away. I go to several road games, and I'm sure there are several "die hard" Red Sox fans who are doing the same here.

I lumped them in the Cub fan category.

hose
07-22-2005, 05:18 PM
Red Sox fans are annoying.......man discovers fire.

TimChamp
07-22-2005, 05:46 PM
I was in the Scout Seats last night and it was actually kind of funny. There was this Red Sox fan or something, I'm not even sure? :?: Anyway, every time a Sox hitter struck out, he always shouted at the top of his lungs, "HE GONE!" And then when Manny hit that GW HR the guy again shouted at the top of his lungs, " YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOOOOOOOOARD!!! YEEEEEEESSSS!!!" Instead of getting pissed at him for using Hawk's catch phrases to diss our players that struck out and use the HR call, I just had to laugh...

--Champ out

BeviBall!
07-22-2005, 05:46 PM
We are one city that will never understand bandwagon jumping.

I guess it was similar when the Bulls were winning, but baseball plays to many more I suppose.

LVSoxFan
07-22-2005, 06:07 PM
I disagree with the premise. First off, of course their fans are going to be like that. I'll be in KC next week at our games doing kinda the same thing. Although when in Detroit or in KC I tend to low-key it because loudmouth visiting fan in Sox jersey = coin magnet.

But I don't mind the Red Sox--after that unbelievable comeback against the Yankees (talk about obnoxious fans), how can you not like the team? They've got it all. Their pitchers are awesome, their hitters are superb. Martinez, Ortiz, Damon... I think they deserve the accolades. Doesn't mean I don't want us to crush them into dust, but there's teams I hate far more.

For instance: Oakland. Not only do I hate them and what they do to us, their fans are just morons. When we play there? With the airhorns? I can't believe they allow those into the stadium. I hate, hate, hate them and their lousy fans.

Then of course there's the Cub fans and their nonsense. Why anybody would come to our park just to root against us is beyond me. They're bitter because they're all but out of it this year, and I guess they'd rather see us lose too than finally win a Series for Chicago.

When they made it in '03 I cheered for them during the playoffs. I thought: why not, at least they're from Chicago, and maybe it will shut them up so we don't have to hear their sob story year after year. I'm never doing that again. After the Cubs/Sox game at Wrigley on 7/4/04, which I was at, the way they acted was so idiotic I swore that I would root... well even for Oakland if that was who they played in the World Series.

But enjoy the chance to watch the World Series champs play some awesome ball--I find them much more likeable than the moneyball Yankees, and they sure are one grungy cast of characters, LOL.

That said, die Red Sox! Just die! :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

ChiSoxRowand
07-22-2005, 06:22 PM
A good part of those "Red Sox fans" are Cubs fans rooting against the Sox.

But I thought Cub fans didn't care about the Sox?

Palehose13
07-22-2005, 08:06 PM
The one thing I noticed about the wrong sox fans last night was that they cheered like cub fans on every long fly ball thinkining it was a HR. Real Sox fans know when the ball is an out, or out of the park. :rolleyes:

ThatGuyOnTheL
07-22-2005, 09:45 PM
In my experience, Boston fans are a combination of the worst stereotypes of both Cub and Sox fans - half of 'em are drunken fratboys puking in the men's room at the Cask & Flagon, and the other half are Ligue-esque lowlifes (with funny accents to boot). Mass*****, indeed.

Well, maybe that part about Cub fans isn't just a stereotype. Anyways, you understand what I mean.

C-Dawg
07-22-2005, 10:40 PM
.....try to INTERMINGLE both teams histories...

I think that's a part of it - many Cub fans are on the Red Sox bandwagon because they think their teams' histories SHOULD be intermingled somehow. That's the only way I can explain the several Cub fans I know who are there at the Cell tomorrow night, who will all be wearing their brand-new Red Sox hats they just bought. "Hey after all, they beat their curse last year, shouldn't we be due to beat ours this year!?! Go Red Sox! Go Cubbies! Woo!!"

DieTrying79
07-22-2005, 10:53 PM
What's awful about Cubs and Red Sox fans is the fact that they have nothing as a basis for their blatant arrogance and rudeness, i.e. before last year, neither team had won jack **** since 1908. Sure, some playoff appearances between them, the Wrong Sox a few AL titles, but mainly the biggest choke artists in the National and American leagues, respectively.

I went to Fenway in 2002, and was treated with respect by their fans, regardless of them knowing my allegiance to the Pale Hose, and had some good conversations going throughout the game. At that point, I thought, "OK, these people aren't so bad, just really into their team and kicking the butt of the Yankees..."

Fast forward a year later to 2003. There was a June series at Comiskey between the Carmines and Pale Hose, and Pedro Martinez was on the mound against Buerhle...needless to say, a great match up between teams and hurlers. I was sitting on the first base side, decked out in my Right Sox gear, trying to enjoy the game with my missus who had never seen Pedro or Buerhle pitch in person at that point. Our whole section was littered with obnoxious "fans", many of whom where wearing a combo of Cubs/Red Sox gear, talking MAD **** about how the White Sox fans suck, the stadium sucks, the team sucks...you get the picture. It got really bad when about five little North Shore brats in our row started making fun of me for cheering when Joe Crede hit a clutch three-run homer off of Pedro to put them ahead for the rest of the game. I ignored it, trying to take the "high road", but my girlfriend, who was sitting closer to them on her left, stopped one idiot in mid-diss, and said "We're sitting right here...if you have some **** to say, say it to us, better yet, say it to ALL of us (as she was pointing around the stadium to all us Right Sox fans)!!" They were all turning red and were muttering stuff, and other fans stood up and were turning around to applaud and show support, and were yelling stuff back at them...the support was unreal. Right after that, they left...freakin' losers! I can only imagine what the bandwagon fans are like NOW, post-Series win.

Bottom line...I respect the club, their history, their park, but the fanbase...wow. You see that crappy, little red "B" on more baseball caps all over the country being worn by bangwagon tools then, dare say, the Yankees. Wonder how many of them know who Dom DiMaggio or Johnny Pesky are? Yaz? Probably not...