PDA

View Full Version : Politte's Performance Yesterday

UofCSoxFan
07-22-2005, 10:28 AM
In the fog of the loss I think the job Politte did yesterday has been overlooked...at least I haven't seen a thread on it.

He comes in with the bases loaded and no outs and gives up 1 run...geting a huge K and a lazy pop-up. Yes, he was helped by bad baserunning/a good play by Timo, but this guy has been nails all season.

Hopefully this will put to rest some of the "sky is falling" concerns surrounding Politte's last two subpar performances.

Baby Fisk
07-22-2005, 10:30 AM
In the fog of the loss I think the job Politte did yesterday has been overlooked...at least I haven't seen a thread on it.

He comes in with the bases loaded and no outs and gives up 1 run...geting a huge K and a lazy pop-up. Yes, he was helped by bad baserunning/a good play by Timo, but this guy has been nails all season.

Hopefully this will put to rest some of the "sky is falling" concerns surrounding Politte's last two subpar performances.
There hasn't been any issue with Politte's performance this year. He's been getting it done. Just don't make him the closer, because it's not where he excels.

Madvora
07-22-2005, 10:31 AM

I agree, that was great pitching. I expected that from Cliffy. I may never have had more confidence in a pitcher in my life. The only other guy I had as much confidence in was Foulke when he was really on.

Timo's throw to 3rd was also overlooked. I was wondering about that, if that's something they had planned before that at bat. Do you think they sent a signal out to Timo in RF or something?

UofCSoxFan
07-22-2005, 10:34 AM
I totally agree...although he was descent in that roll for Toronto a couple of years back.

The whole forced into closer thing really was the downfall of Latroy Hawkins IMO. I mean the guy was great in Min. as a set-up guy and pretty good w/ the Flubs in that roll until he was forced to close when Borowski went down. A few bad outings and his confidence was done, no matter what roll he was in. Now I'm not suggesting Politte is even in the same ballpark as basket case Latoya, but it's a fact that some people just don't flourish in the closer roll.

It could be worse...we could have Curt Schilling in there :)

UofCSoxFan
07-22-2005, 10:39 AM
I agree, that was great pitching. I expected that from Cliffy. I may never have had more confidence in a pitcher in my life. The only other guy I had as much confidence in was Foulke when he was really on.

Timo's throw to 3rd was also overlooked. I was wondering about that, if that's something they had planned before that at bat. Do you think they sent a signal out to Timo in RF or something?

I think it was more of a head's up play by Timo than anything...something he probably anticipated himself before the play. He knew he had no shot at the guy at home so he took the out where he could get it. It's kinda like the play on the double steal w/ runners on first and second. 9/10 the guy trying to steal second would be out be 10 feet if the catcher threw down there, simply because he gets a later jump (making sure the guy from second runs) and he probably isn't running as hard (not anticipating a throw).

I mean it was a really dumb play by the guy making the out at third...and Timo made him pay. Just another example of little things that are done to win games...would have been nice if those 3 errors never happened though:angry:

scottjanssens
07-22-2005, 10:45 AM

I hope to overlook Politte all season long.

LauraJ14
07-22-2005, 12:22 PM
I totally agree...although he was descent in that roll for Toronto a couple of years back.

The whole forced into closer thing really was the downfall of Latroy Hawkins IMO. I mean the guy was great in Min. as a set-up guy and pretty good w/ the Flubs in that roll until he was forced to close when Borowski went down. A few bad outings and his confidence was done, no matter what roll he was in. Now I'm not suggesting Politte is even in the same ballpark as basket case Latoya, but it's a fact that some people just don't flourish in the closer roll.

It could be worse...we could have Curt Schilling in there :)

Here's one thing that I don't understand. Most closers come in the 9th inning, start of the inning, no one on base, with a lead. Politte, Hawkins, set up men in general, tend to come in games with guys on base and their job is to not allow any runners to score. I think what Politte did yesterday ( bases loaded, 0 outs, 1 run scored) is much harder than coming into the 9th with a lead and no base runners. Just my .02 cents.