PDA

View Full Version : Southside Grub

ChiSoxPatF
07-22-2005, 10:13 AM
After reading the stadium food question and getting hungry, I thought I'd throw this one out there...

When you're on the Southside at the Cell and you're going to eat after the game, what is the best place to get some post-Sox-winner grub?

Since I was a youngin', my family has ALWAYS gone to Ricobene's after the game for an obligatory Breaded Steak Sandwich so I was wondering where everyone else goes.

UofCSoxFan
07-22-2005, 10:24 AM
Ricobene's is great...I stop by the one at Franklin and Lake in the Loop all the time.

If I get to game's early enough I like to stop by Maxwell Street Depot...or "Depot" as it is commonly called. You can get a Polish and fries for like 2.50...beats stadium prices...its located on 31st st....and shields maybe?...anyways head west on 31st from the interstate and you can't miss it.

Soxmissy
07-22-2005, 10:25 AM
Freddies on 31st street has great food! It's along the line of Ricobene's only
I think it's better! The sandwiches are huge and the Italian food is to die for!:wink:

BeviBall!
07-22-2005, 10:28 AM
I think it's better! The sandwiches are huge and the Italian food is to die for!:wink:

Ooooh, Freddies!

bumptious96
07-22-2005, 10:29 AM
Maxwell Street

nasox
07-22-2005, 10:51 AM

good wings

jackbrohamer
07-22-2005, 11:04 AM
Maxwell Street

Yah, on 31st by the underpass. I think it's open 24/7.

UofCSoxFan
07-22-2005, 11:07 AM
Is there a reason these food threads always start around lunch time when I am starving?

And yes, Depot is 24 hours...it can be really good at 3:30 in the morning if you have a designated driver coming back from the bars.

maristsox
07-22-2005, 11:10 AM

sweet sweet freddies

MUScholar21
07-22-2005, 11:29 AM
There used to be a Mexican place on 35th and Emerald, great food. I just saw last time I went to the game it moved though....

maurice
07-22-2005, 11:32 AM
There used to be a Mexican place on 35th and Emerald, great food. I just saw last time I went to the game it moved though....

It's on Halsted now. In fact, there are 2 really good taco joints on Halsted between 32nd and 35th.

For a more comprehensive Mexican restaurant with a full bar, hit Pacho's on 31st / Union.

JimH
07-22-2005, 11:48 AM

Tacos Erendira, 32nd and Halsted, oft discussed on this site. Pork stew or chicken burritos, get them with just the meat and the beans. They are always open late.

The Maxwell St. Depot is at 31st and Canal.

Also try the Skylark at 22nd and Halsted, NE corner, for some unique bar food, great draft beer selection, and great prices. For the PBR fans, it's $2 on tap for a pint. They also have Anchor Liberty Ale on tap. Open at 4 pm daily.

BTW the old Tacos Erendira site at 35th between Emerald and Halsted will be a new take out place, focused on chicken wings, run by the same family.

maurice
07-22-2005, 12:05 PM
Skylark at 22nd and Halsted

Fried chicken and tatter tots. :D:

Not a bad place, depending on who's in charge of the music that day. Last time I was there, the "music" was nothing but dissonance. Kinda ruins your dining experience.

tacosalbarojas
07-22-2005, 12:59 PM
sweet sweet freddies31st and what cross-street?

JimH
07-22-2005, 01:32 PM
31st and what cross-street?

31st and Union, SW corner, directly across from Pancho Pistoles. Just look for all the double parked cars in front on the Union Ave. side. :smile:

If you like fries, ask them for well done, sometimes in their rush they undercook 'em.

Soxmissy
07-22-2005, 01:33 PM
31st and Union

JimH
07-22-2005, 01:35 PM
Fried chicken and tatter tots. :D:

Not a bad place, depending on who's in charge of the music that day. Last time I was there, the "music" was nothing but dissonance. Kinda ruins your dining experience.

I think I was in there that day too, before the Sat. Oakland game, were you with 4 guys at a table near the back? If so, yeah, it was some ... ummm ... interesting music goin' on.

My 92 yr. old great aunt goes in there with me and insists they play big band or 1930's jazz ... both of which they have BTW. :D:

Soxmissy
07-22-2005, 01:37 PM
Freddies is on 31st and Union

Jerko
07-22-2005, 01:40 PM
Freddies is on 31st and Union

Freddies is on the south side of 31st, Panchos is on the north side of 31st, both on the west side of union. Freddies SW corner, Panchos NW corner.

rdwj
07-22-2005, 01:56 PM
I like Cobblestones - pretty good food.

Hey, does anyone know what happened to the Hot Dog cart on 37th and Parnell? I used to stop there before every game, but they haven't been out at the games I've been to this year :(:

Blob
07-22-2005, 02:07 PM

Hey, does anyone know what happened to the Hot Dog cart on 37th and Parnell? I used to stop there before every game, but they haven't been out at the games I've been to this year :(:

We have been waiting for her all year too! We saw an older guy watering the lawn there about two weeks ago. Never saw him before. She usually didn't start selling until June when the weather got warmer, but so far no sign of her!

The lady on 26th and Lyman (Maryanne(SP?)) was out last time we were at the game.

MMMmmmm, TAMALE ON A BUN!!!!!!!!!!

tacosalbarojas
07-22-2005, 02:57 PM
Freddies is on the south side of 31st, Panchos is on the north side of 31st, both on the west side of union. Freddies SW corner, Panchos NW corner.Thanks to all for the directionals. I may head over tonight.

Sargeant79
07-22-2005, 05:45 PM
Freddies on 31st street has great food!

I gotta agree with this one. Freddie's is outstanding. If you like stuffed pizza, they do that really well too. It's probably my favorite place to get it.

Also, O'Malley's on 35th and Union has really good burgers and a lot of ice cream/malt/shake concoctions.

Good call on Erendira...I used to live a block away and ate there something like twice a week.

The best part about Panco Pistolas is the margaritas. The food is good, but I've had better.

Along the lines of a nice sit down place for steak or something like that, try Polo Cafe on Morgan and 33rd.<p>

There's also Schaller's Pump, which is primarily a bar but has great burgers.

JimH
07-22-2005, 10:06 PM
Also, for an excellent hot dog stop at Johnny-O's, 35th and Morgan.

ZachAL
07-22-2005, 11:39 PM
I dont know where the closest Harold's Fried Chicken Shack is to comiskey as I always go to the one in Hyde Park or on Stoney Island, but there has to be one closer to the park. Wherever it is, it is bound to be delicious.

alohafri
07-23-2005, 09:04 AM

I have to get back to the 'Stone. I haven't been there in a few years. For a good pre-game sandwich, you have to get the meatball sandwich at Jimbo's.

WikdChiSoxFan
07-23-2005, 10:24 AM
After many a beer, the choice is clear...

Double Cheeseburger with onions and mustard from Maxwell Street a.k.a. Ghetto Dog. This is a hangover killer. Drink as much as you want...make the last stop Maxwell Street, and you're golden. However, it will take you a week to digest it and if you're under 20, your face will be covered in pimples.

Also, in that crazy power outage a month ago, where all of bridgeport was in the dark...amazingly Maxwell Street was up and running on a generator. Crazy!! Always open, no matter what. Plus there's always a nice crowd there at 3 am.

Honorable Mentions: San Jose Taqueria, Tacos Erendira, Pancho Pistoles, Freddies, Lindy's Chili, Los Comales, Pollo Charro, Happiness, Ed's Potsticker House, Parkside Grill, Ramova Grill, Phil's Pizza, Papa Freddy's #1, the list goes on and on....

Chips
07-23-2005, 12:36 PM
I dont know where the closest Harold's Fried Chicken Shack is to comiskey as I always go to the one in Hyde Park or on Stoney Island, but there has to be one closer to the park. Wherever it is, it is bound to be delicious.

There's a Harolds at 21st and Wabash, and about five or six of them down Halsted as you get further south. There is also one around 51st and king drive and a whole bunch of them as you move through the ghettos.

Leons on 59th and Racine has some good food.

Cat Thief
07-24-2005, 03:49 AM
Phil's Pizza. 37th and Halsted. The wife and I sat in the back of the Caravan and chowed after one game. It's all good.

JimH
07-24-2005, 09:54 AM
After many a beer, the choice is clear...

Honorable Mentions: San Jose Taqueria, Tacos Erendira, Pancho Pistoles, Freddies, Lindy's Chili, Los Comales, Pollo Charro, Happiness, Ed's Potsticker House, Parkside Grill, Ramova Grill, Phil's Pizza, Papa Freddy's #1, the list goes on and on....

Can someone provide the low-down on these:

- San Jose Taquiera

- Los Comales

- Pollo Charro

- Parkside Grill

Thanks!

Jurr
07-24-2005, 10:09 AM
We have been waiting for her all year too! We saw an older guy watering the lawn there about two weeks ago. Never saw him before. She usually didn't start selling until June when the weather got warmer, but so far no sign of her!

The lady on 26th and Lyman (Maryanne(SP?)) was out last time we were at the game.

MMMmmmm, TAMALE ON A BUN!!!!!!!!!!
I have a bad hangover this morning, and reading tamale on a bun NEARLY made me vomit. Wow...they make those things?

maurice
07-25-2005, 01:04 PM
- San Jose Taquiera
- Los Comales

San Jose is an outstanding burrito, taco, torta, echilada, etc. establishment. Mostly carryout and delivery, but they also have a large, bright, clean sitting area with fast table service and a juke box loaded with Bando music. Lots of softdrinks, but no alcohol (IIRC). Very inexpensive. The Mexican bakery just down the block is very good also.

Los Comales is a chain taco joint all over the south side -- kinda like a Mexican Harold's, right down to the numbering system.

cbone
07-25-2005, 01:20 PM

- San Jose Taquiera

- Los Comales

- Pollo Charro

- Parkside Grill

Thanks!

The only one I can speak for is Los Comales. A chain that is getting bigger and bigger. Probably 30 or so locations around Chicago. Food is good, fairly authentic and reasonable. Great peppers and carrots!!

Pulaski
07-25-2005, 01:29 PM
Poncho Pistolas on 31st around 700 West.

the gooch
07-25-2005, 05:15 PM
ponchos is a little more east than that, i think, and theres always a hot server working. great place. cant say enough about the margaritas.

its a bit of a drive, damen and archer, to huck finn's (think dennys with but with good food), but its open 24 hrs and was our sunday hangover killer. get the becky thatcher (good deal).

i still have cravings for the huge burritos from san jose on halsted. they really made the place look nice in the past few years too.

from experience: just say no to maxwell st., its like smoking cigarettes: disgusting until you get used to it, and then you cant live without it. i disagree with the week's digestion comment. it rips right through you.

theres a churches chicken on 35th- two blocks or so east of state st.

connie's pizza will open up early on the day of a sox matinee, and they all know you have a game to go to so they get your food to you FAST.

VeeckAsInWreck
07-25-2005, 05:21 PM
The only one I can speak for is Los Comales. A chain that is getting bigger and bigger. Probably 30 or so locations around Chicago. Food is good, fairly authentic and reasonable. Great peppers and carrots!!

Food is good but the tacos are a ripoff. Last time I went they were $1.25 each and they are extremely small.

I do recommend the Tortas and Burritos though.

maurice
07-25-2005, 05:39 PM
ponchos is a little more east than that, i think

No, Pulaski was exactly right. Pancho's is at 700 W. 31st St. (aka 31st & Union).

chisoxfanatic
07-25-2005, 05:43 PM
Tons of the places in the area have already been mentioned...But, I'll throw out another one...Donnie's on 33rd and Wells is a quality Italian eatery.

There's also my house. :D:

the gooch
07-25-2005, 05:50 PM
No, Pulaski was exactly right. Pancho's is at 700 W. 31st St. (aka 31st & Union).
my mistake.

MeteorsSox4367
07-25-2005, 06:05 PM
Three Bridgeport places come to mind:

For pizza, I still like Connie's. For sandwiches and burgers, Freddie's is excellent. There's also a place around 28th and Emerald called Gio's. It's an Italian deli/restaurant. The pasta is fresh, the portions are generous, the prices are good and the bread is making me drool just thinking about it.

PaulDrake
07-25-2005, 07:37 PM
There's also Schaller's Pump, which is primarily a bar but has great burgers. I don't live in the Chicago area anymore, and wanted to stop in Schaller's before the game with Tampa on the 4th. The parking lot was empty, and they were closed. Was it because of the holiday?

JimH
07-26-2005, 08:32 AM
I don't live in the Chicago area anymore, and wanted to stop in Schaller's before the game with Tampa on the 4th. The parking lot was empty, and they were closed. Was it because of the holiday?

Yes, they were closed because of the holiday, and they generally open late on Sundays too, usually about 3 p.m.

Gio's (mentioned above) is at 28th and Lowe, NW corner. It's the former Scalise's Deli.

Has anyone tried the churro place on the west side of Halsted just north of 26th St.? It is literally beneath the expressway overpass.

Another place for a great hot dog, italian beef, or combo sandwich: Stan's Drive Inn, in a little yellow building at the corner of Archer Ave. and Arch Street (a few blocks east of Ashland). They're only open until 3 p.m. or so, and closed on Sundays. The Chicago hot dog is outstanding and quite the bargain for $1.35. Their giardiniera for the beef and combo sandwiches, A+, almost as good as E. Formella and Sons giardiniera, who supplies Ricobene's.

cbone
07-26-2005, 09:02 AM
Yes, they were closed because of the holiday, and they generally open late on Sundays too, usually about 3 p.m.

Another place for a great hot dog, italian beef, or combo sandwich: Stan's Drive Inn, in a little yellow building at the corner of Archer Ave. and Arch Street (a few blocks east of Ashland). They're only open until 3 p.m. or so, and closed on Sundays. The Chicago hot dog is outstanding and quite the bargain for $1.35. Their giardiniera for the beef and combo sandwiches, A+, almost as good as E. Formella and Sons giardiniera, who supplies Ricobene's.

Does Stan's still have gravy sandwiches? They used to be a dime but that was 10 years ago? :rolleyes:

maurice
07-26-2005, 11:15 AM
Has anyone tried the churro place on the west side of Halsted just north of 26th St.?

Yes. The churros are good. (It was a churro factory before they opened the counter.) They also have Italian Ice, untasted by me because I always get mine at Freddie's.