PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone truly believe that Ken Williams would...

White Sox Randy
07-22-2005, 10:05 AM
risk this entire magical White Sox season, with their best World Series shot in many years, on putting Jermaind Dye as the first baseman for the rest of the season ?

The Sox defense is one of the main keys to the team and the guy has never played the position. There is NO DOUBT that this will not happen and I wish that people on this site would refrain from talking about it as though it is a realistic possibility!

You sound like flubs fans with these stupid scenarios. If KW did this, he would be laughed out of baseball.

Madvora
07-22-2005, 10:25 AM
I haven't heard anyone really mention this seriously. I don't think anyone believes that. That's what Ross Gload is for.

RKMeibalane
07-22-2005, 10:28 AM
Where the hell did this thread come from? The Dye-at-first experiment was done only to rest Konerko. If Gload is around, that won't happen again.

Heffalump
07-22-2005, 10:29 AM
risk this entire magical White Sox season, with their best World Series shot in many years, on putting Jermaind Dye as the first baseman for the rest of the season ?

The Sox defense is one of the main keys to the team and the guy has never played the position. There is NO DOUBT that this will not happen and I wish that people on this site would refrain from talking about it as though it is a realistic possibility!

You sound like flubs fans with these stupid scenarios. If KW did this, he would be laughed out of baseball.

I heard that Jermaine Dye's spider bite has given him superhuman powers and he now throws a 238 mph fastball and has "sticky" hands so that he does not need a glove. KW and Ozzie kept him on the bench the last few days because they want to truly "understand" his powers.

Anywho, Dye will be the starting pitcher on Saturday and after each pitch he will run over to play first base.

You heard it here first.

Randar68
07-22-2005, 10:30 AM
I haven't heard anyone really mention this seriously. I don't think anyone believes that. That's what Ross Gload is for.

It was discussed a couple weeks ago and I said then that they'd have to play Jermaine there 5-10 times before the deadline to convince themselves, IMO... Which they have not done, so it is a moot point right now...

That said, I'd still try to trade for Griffey and give up Rowand. Then next year you put Anderson in RF and Dye at 1B and work Gload into that rotation 3-ways and also allowing Griffey days off by having Anderson in CF, Dye in RF, and Gload at 1st...

Lot's of options.

They need to go for it now, damnit, and Griffey is a huge upgrade... (WHEN HEALTHY!)

balke
07-22-2005, 10:30 AM
There was only one person that argued it should take place, Randar I believe. Its completely irrational, and simply stems from a hate for Paulie. Gload would be a better fit, as already stated.

Soxzilla
07-22-2005, 10:32 AM
Dye played some first base in the minors.

Randar68
07-22-2005, 10:52 AM
There was only one person that argued it should take place, Randar I believe. Its completely irrational, and simply stems from a hate for Paulie. Gload would be a better fit, as already stated.

I never argued IT SHOULD take place, but keep sticking words in my mouth and fabricating arguments that were never made. It's all you and JJav did in the original thread anyway...

I am curious to know what qualifies as "Paulie Hate", because lately, anyone who says anything in the least bit critical of Paulie or compares him to someone else that in the end is an unfavorable comparison is "blinded by Paulie hate"...

OK, Senator McCarthy....

fquaye149
07-22-2005, 10:57 AM

welcome to last month.

i thought this premise had been neatly and mercifully put to rest with that terrible thread.

daveeym
07-22-2005, 10:57 AM
OK, Senator McCarthy....
Tsk, tsk

Paul-llyyyy Hat-eeer, Paul-llly Hat-eeer.

Man this place is so much fun after a couple losses. :gulp:

balke
07-22-2005, 11:01 AM
I never argued IT SHOULD take place, but keep sticking words in my mouth and fabricating arguments that were never made. It's all you and JJav did in the original thread anyway...

I am curious to know what qualifies as "Paulie Hate", because lately, anyone who says anything in the least bit critical of Paulie or compares him to someone else that in the end is an unfavorable comparison is "blinded by Paulie hate"...

OK, Senator McCarthy....

You don't like Paul Konerko.

Maybe we stuck words in your mouth, I didn't see it that way. You said we should trade Konerko, and move Dye to first base. Why? Because you think Konerko is overrated, which he is. You did qualify it with "If the right move came along" I believe. I still say Dye in RF is the right move, with Gload at 1B if "the right move" included PK. Just my opinion. Dye would make a good insurance 1Bman in that kind of scenario.

As many words as we put in your mouth, you did it just as much. I don't believe me or JJav are Apaulogists, we just disagreed with your idea. Paulie does have some value, just probably not as much as people think.

UofCSoxFan
07-22-2005, 11:01 AM
Dye played some first base in the minors.

Wasn't that like 10-12 years ago though?

Soxzilla
07-22-2005, 11:10 AM
Wasn't that like 10-12 years ago though?

So?:gulp:

Randar68
07-22-2005, 11:12 AM
You don't like Paul Konerko.

I have no like or dislike for Paul Konerko. I don't think his comments are as bad as some and I don't think he's anywhere near the "leader" some think. I also think he's a decent player, just one that is extremely streaky for months at a time and is completely replaceable, especially at the salary he requires at this point.

The problem is that people see critical comments of Paul and instantly start attacking without slowing down to read all the words or put the big picture into perspective. IF KW CAN IMPROVE THE CLUB. IF THE TEAM FEELS COMFORTABLE WITH DYE AT FIRST BASE... things of that nature are just patently ignored so someone can be labelled as paulie-hater, or some totally juvenile crap like that so the real issue or discussion can be ignored, sidetracked, or generally forgotten in the onslaught. Simple diversionary tactic, IMO, that avoids the real point/topic/issue...

Maybe we stuck words in your mouth, I didn't see it that way. You said we should trade Konerko, and move Dye to first base. Why? Because you think Konerko is overrated, which he is. You did qualify it with "If the right move came along" I believe. I still say Dye in RF is the right move, with Gload at 1B if "the right move" included PK. Just my opinion. Dye would make a good insurance 1Bman in that kind of scenario.

Yes you blatently stuck words in my mouth and are doing it again.

1) The Sox needed to play Dye there more regularly up to the deadline to know if it was a feasible nmove or not.
2) Gload has been hurt as all hell and you cannot trade Paul without some kind of legit backup plan...
3) If you can improve the team by making a move including Paul, which takes into account the defensive issues as well, why should Kenny not do it simply because some guy's name is Paul Konerko?
4) The whole premise was brought into play because if you allow yourself to consider trading Paul and moving Dye to first (again assuming some of the above), the number of positions you have the chance of looking for help in is greatly increased, giving greater flexibility, leverage, and likelihood to make the greatest improvement overall.

That's all I ever tried to argue...

Then again, I just hate Paul Konerko and want him traded even if it makes the team worse...:rolleyes:

Sorry for the temporary hijack, but Jjav is practically trolling the boards attacking anyone who says anything critical about Paul Konerko, and it's pretty silly, IMO.

balke
07-22-2005, 11:16 AM
I have no like or dislike for Paul Konerko. I don't think his comments are as bad as some and I don't think he's anywhere near the "leader" some think. I also think he's a decent player, just one that is extremely streaky for months at a time and is completely replaceable, especially at the salary he requires at this point.

The problem is that people see critical comments of Paul and instantly start attacking without slowing down to read all the words or put the big picture into perspective. IF KW CAN IMPROVE THE CLUB. IF THE TEAM FEELS COMFORTABLE WITH DYE AT FIRST BASE... things of that nature are just patently ignored so someone can be labelled as paulie-hater, or some totally juvenile crap like that so the real issue or discussion can be ignored, sidetracked, or generally forgotten in the onslaught. Simple diversionary tactic, IMO, that avoids the real point/topic/issue...

Yes you blatently stuck words in my mouth and are doing it again.

1) The Sox needed to play Dye there more regularly up to the deadline to know if it was a feasible nmove or not.
2) Gload has been hurt as all hell and you cannot trade Paul without some kind of legit backup plan...
3) If you can improve the team by making a move including Paul, which takes into account the defensive issues as well, why should Kenny not do it simply because some guy's name is Paul Konerko?
4) The whole premise was brought into play because if you allow yourself to consider trading Paul and moving Dye to first (again assuming some of the above), the number of positions you have the chance of looking for help in is greatly increased, giving greater flexibility, leverage, and likelihood to make the greatest improvement overall.

That's all I ever tried to argue...

Then again, I just hate Paul Konerko and want him traded even if it makes the team worse...:rolleyes:

Sorry for the temporary hijack, but Jjav is practically trolling the boards attacking anyone who says anything critical about Paul Konerko, and it's pretty silly, IMO.

Well I think that's exactly what I just said, unless you DON'T think Paul is overrated, or if you don't hate PK. Those are the only statements I see you not saying now.

07-22-2005, 11:24 AM
Dye played one game at first base against the Devil Rays...no way

Jjav829
07-22-2005, 11:25 AM

Hahaha, you have to be joking. I'm not going through this again. My whole comments about you hating Konerko stemmed from you calling me a aPaulogist or whatever. I explained this once already. The reason I called you a Konerko hater is because regardless of how many times I explained in that thread that my opinion that Dye should not play 1B had nothing to do with not wanting to replace Konerko, you kept saying I was defending Konerko. I kept saying that my argument was more about not wanting to see Dye at 1B, not about wanting to keep Konerko there. I have no problem with replacing Konerko. I'm hoping like hell that we can get Lyle Overbay or Aubrey Huff to play 1B in the offseason.

And don't call me a troll again. Period.

Randar68
07-22-2005, 11:29 AM
And don't call me a troll again. Period.

Do you want me to pull up the posts in the last week labelling others? Don't know if I have the time to find them, but I'll give it a go...

I only have to go to the Crede thread, IIRC.

RKMeibalane
07-22-2005, 11:32 AM
Do you want me to pull up the posts in the last week labelling others? Don't know if I have the time to find them, but I'll give it a go...

:DJ

"Uh, oh..."

Jjav829
07-22-2005, 11:34 AM

Labeling others as what? I assume you're referring to the Frater post. I stand by what I said. It's over-the-top annoying when some people can't just discuss one player without having to bring Konerko into the discussion. I'm tired of every thread having a Konerko hater/support discussion. Yet in the second post of a thread that was supposed to be about Crede, he turned the discussion into yet another Konerko hate/support discussion. It's annoying and borderline obsessive. I stand by what I said.

Randar68
07-22-2005, 11:35 AM
Labeling others as what? I assume you're referring to the Frater post. I stand by what I said. It's over-the-top annoying when some people can't just discuss one player without having to bring Konerko into the discussion. I'm tired of every thread having a Konerko hater/support discussion. Yet in the second post of a thread that was supposed to be about Crede, he turned the discussion into yet another Konerko hate/support discussion. It's annoying and borderline obsessive. I stand by what I said.
Fair enough.

I did think it was an interesting comparison given the amount of crap Crede has taken over the last couple years and how glorified by some Paulie's production has been. Sure, it was probably misplaced, but if that comparison was made in another thread during a discussion on the topic, would you really have treated it differently? Genuinely asking here...

White Sox Randy
07-22-2005, 11:41 AM
many trade threads that are still active on this site. I'm seeing things like trade Konerko now for Griffey and put Dye at first etc.

I am glad to see that there are so many dismissing it now.

Jjav829
07-22-2005, 11:43 AM
Fair enough.

I did think it was an interesting comparison given the amount of crap Crede has taken over the last couple years and how glorified by some Paulie's production has been. Sure, it was probably misplaced, but if that comparison was made in another thread during a discussion on the topic, would you really have treated it differently? Genuinely asking here...

If it wasn't for the fact that the topic of Konerko has been beaten to death in seemingly every other thread around here, it might have made for a valid discussion. But with all the threads that have had similar discussions recently, it annoyed me that we couldn't just have one thread that discussed another player. And it wasn't like the topic of conversation slowly drifted to Konerko. It was the first reply made to the thread that shifted the topic from Crede's value to Konerko's value and the next 3 pages were pretty much another argument on Konerko.

maurice
07-22-2005, 11:53 AM
[Randar's opinion] simply stems from a hate for Paulie. . . .

you [Randar] think Konerko is overrated, which he is.

:?:
I don't think you've quite met your burden of proof here. If the belief that Konerko is overrated and overpaid makes one a "Paulie hater" then every rational person on this board (including you) is a "Paulie hater," making it quite a term of distinction.

balke
07-22-2005, 12:02 PM
:?:
I don't think you've quite met your burden of proof here. If the belief that Konerko is overrated and overpaid makes one a "Paulie hater" then every rational person on this board (including you) is a "Paulie hater," making it quite a term of distinction.

Well, I think he's overrated, don't like things he's said about the team in the past, and wanted him traded in the offseason. So, yeah I just might be. But, right now he's very valuable to the Sox, and I wouldn't want to see Dye at 1B instead.

mdep524
07-22-2005, 12:07 PM
Given a relatively short amount of time (a month or two? an offseason? spring training?), Dye could play first base BETTER than Paul Konerko. No question.

Paulie's defense is vastly overrated- his complete and utter lack of range and his slow reactions make him an average defender. Not bad, but certainly something that a tall, athletic, quick Jermaine Dye could surpass with relative ease. Remember, the reason Konerko is playing 1B in the first place is because he couldn't hack it at C or 3B, not because he was a good 1B.

Not going to happen this year, but maybe for next. As far as Paulie's hitting, he is not versatile, not an Ozzieball player, too streaky, relative expensive and easily replaceable. However, unless KW strikes gold and can acquire Lyle Overbay or Todd Helton, PK is the 1B for your 2005 White Sox.

maurice
07-22-2005, 12:17 PM
Dye could play first base BETTER than Paul Konerko. No question. Paulie's defense is vastly overrated- his complete and utter lack of range and his slow reactions make him an average defender. Not bad, but certainly something that a tall, athletic, quick Jermaine Dye could surpass with relative ease.

I agree . . . but Konerko made a helluva play on a popup yesterday.

balke
07-22-2005, 12:25 PM
Given a relatively short amount of time (a month or two? an offseason? spring training?), Dye could play first base BETTER than Paul Konerko. No question.

Paulie's defense is vastly overrated- his complete and utter lack of range and his slow reactions make him an average defender. Not bad, but certainly something that a tall, athletic, quick Jermaine Dye could surpass with relative ease. Remember, the reason Konerko is playing 1B in the first place is because he couldn't hack it at C or 3B, not because he was a good 1B.

Not going to happen this year, but maybe for next. As far as Paulie's hitting, he is not versatile, not an Ozzieball player, too streaky, relative expensive and easily replaceable. However, unless KW strikes gold and can acquire Lyle Overbay or Todd Helton, PK is the 1B for your 2005 White Sox.

Paulie has a hell of a lot more experience picking balls out of the dirt. He's done a terrific job with that this season. I've seen Dye let balls slip under his glove and to the wall on rolling singles TWICE this season. Bill Buckner what?

BanditJimmy
07-22-2005, 12:29 PM
It was discussed a couple weeks ago and I said then that they'd have to play Jermaine there 5-10 times before the deadline to convince themselves, IMO... Which they have not done, so it is a moot point right now...

That said, I'd still try to trade for Griffey and give up Rowand. Then next year you put Anderson in RF and Dye at 1B and work Gload into that rotation 3-ways and also allowing Griffey days off by having Anderson in CF, Dye in RF, and Gload at 1st...

Lot's of options.

They need to go for it now, damnit, and Griffey is a huge upgrade... (WHEN HEALTHY!)

Griffey is way too high in price both salary and the amount of people you would have to un-load to make it work.

It is a very splashy move, but for a very highly paid and highly fragile player.

Randar68
07-22-2005, 12:39 PM
Paulie has a hell of a lot more experience picking balls out of the dirt. He's done a terrific job with that this season. I've seen Dye let balls slip under his glove and to the wall on rolling singles TWICE this season. Bill Buckner what?

While running at them, a play that is basically irrelevant if you are trying to compare it to a play any infielder would have to make.

Randar68
07-22-2005, 12:40 PM
Griffey is way too high in price both salary and the amount of people you would have to un-load to make it work.

It is a very splashy move, but for a very highly paid and highly fragile player.

This has been discussed recently and you are obviously oblivious to the situation both with his contract and his tenure in Cinci.

MIgrenade
07-22-2005, 12:47 PM
www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54528 (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54528)

This is the "Griffey?" thread. This is where everything started. Frater did this.

White Sox Randy
07-22-2005, 12:49 PM
[QUOTE=mdep524]Given a relatively short amount of time (a month or two? an offseason? spring training?), Dye could play first base BETTER than Paul Konerko. No question.

Who do you know that became a great first baseman after a month or two of playing the position.

Konerko is atleast average out there. And you seem to think that Dye could be a gold glove caliber first baseman in almost no time.

He just has to learn how to play in front of the baserunner,behind the runner, field bunts, handle pickoff throws, block the base, make tags, turn double plays, catch pop ups, etc.

Amazing. How about if we play our players at the positions that they have been playing their whole careers and keep our defense solid.

fquaye149
07-22-2005, 12:53 PM
Who do you know that became a great first baseman after a month or two of playing the position.

Konerko is atleast average out there.

In order to be a better 1bman than Konerko (which is what he said) he would only have to be average. You really don't think a very good ATHLETE like Dye could become an average firstbaseman(the antithesis of a skill position) in two months?

Randar68
07-22-2005, 01:12 PM
Amazing. How about if we play our players at the positions that they have been playing their whole careers and keep our defense solid.

This is an old argument where many contingent points were discussed, and unless you read it all or were a part of it, you should just stay the **** out of it and avoid sounding like a dumb***.

My intention was not to restart a whole thread and new argument about it. It's over, it won't be happenning this year. Maybe next, but not this year. Start discussing it in November, no need to do so now.

White Sox Randy
07-22-2005, 01:19 PM
This is an old argument where many contingent points were discussed, and unless you read it all or were a part of it, you should just stay the **** out of it and avoid sounding like a dumb***.

My intention was not to restart a whole thread and new argument about it. It's over, it won't be happenning this year. Maybe next, but not this year. Start discussing it in November, no need to do so now.

1. You don't decide who can partake in a discussion on this site.

2. If you don't want to continue talking about this, then why are you ? Go to a different thread.

3. You are the biggest dumb*** that I have seen on this site.

Randar68
07-22-2005, 01:30 PM
3. You are the biggest dumb*** that I have seen on this site.

Thank you for proving the incompetency of you observational ability.

UofCSoxFan
07-22-2005, 01:38 PM
So?:gulp:

So??? 10-12 years is a long time. Dye also played SS in h.s. but that doesn't mean I want him there in the middle of a playoff race.

mdep524
07-22-2005, 01:42 PM

Konerko is atleast average out there. And you seem to think that Dye could be a gold glove caliber first baseman in almost no time.

He just has to learn how to play in front of the baserunner,behind the runner, field bunts, handle pickoff throws, block the base, make tags, turn double plays, catch pop ups, etc.

Amazing. How about if we play our players at the positions that they have been playing their whole careers and keep our defense solid. I never said "great" nor "Gold Glove," don't go strawman on me, buddy. I said "better than Konerko," which implies average to above average.

First base is one of the easier positions to adjust to on the field, compared to CF or SS for example. Konerko himself did it, Jim Thome, etc. Dye is a terrific athlete, he would do just fine over there.

Also, that pop up catch that Paulie made was very nice yesterday- that's a tough play to catch the ball at your waist over the shoulder like that! BUT.... he also costs Sox pitchers a lot of cheap bloop singles by not going back on pop ups very well, something that a tall, quick, Derrek Lee-type player like Jermaine Dye could do better.

balke
07-22-2005, 01:51 PM
I never said "great" nor "Gold Glove," don't go strawman on me, buddy. I said "better than Konerko," which implies average to above average.

First base is one of the easier positions to adjust to on the field, compared to CF or SS for example. Konerko himself did it, Jim Thome, etc. Dye is a terrific athlete, he would do just fine over there.

Also, that pop up catch that Paulie made was very nice yesterday- that's a tough play to catch the ball at your waist over the shoulder like that! BUT.... he also costs Sox pitchers a lot of cheap bloop singles by not going back on pop ups very well, something that a tall, quick, Derrek Lee-type player like Jermaine Dye could do better.

Gload's got range for a 1Bman, already knows the position, and can pick balls out of the dirt for sure. Why move Dye, he's such a good RFer.

Edit: Also, I agree with Randar that its a move that can be thought of in the future. I don't even know if necessarily this offseason. Depends how Ross can perform for the Sox. Some people can get better around 28-30. Maybe Ross can play major league 1B, especially for a team that wants Defense and speed etc.

Randar68
07-22-2005, 01:53 PM
Gload's got range for a 1Bman, already knows the position, and can pick balls out of the dirt for sure. Why move Dye, he's such a good RFer.

Are we talking about next year or this year?

White Sox Randy
07-22-2005, 01:56 PM
I never said "great" nor "Gold Glove," don't go strawman on me, buddy. I said "better than Konerko," which implies average to above average.

I agree that it is "possible" that Dye could become a very good first baseman. I also agree that it is the easiest position on the field.

However, there is no way that the Sox will try to make this change this season - nor should they.

After this season, they could ask Dye to change positions. But, most likely they will not but rather keep him as a solid RFer and find a legitimate first baseman.

Besides, why would Dye agree to that when it would decrease his value. Since, as you said it is a lesser position. I'm sure that Dye still feels that he can handle RF very adequately.

Also, if he did agree, I'm sure that it would take him longer than a spring training to learn all the nuances at first and be considered a good ML first baseman.

All in all, it's not gonna happen.

balke
07-22-2005, 02:09 PM
Are we talking about next year or this year?

The next couple years. Forgot how long we have Dye signed though. So maybe not at all. If you were to start giving him more time at 1B, I think it would have to be if things weren't working out well next season. Or if Anderson comes up and hits .350 or so with a high slugging % in limited play

maurice
07-22-2005, 02:30 PM
why would Dye agree to that when it would decrease his value.

Ozzie said that Dye wants to play 1B. It probably would increase his value (especially to the Sox), since you can always shift him back to RF if the need arises. In the meanwhile, he'd be playing a much less demanding position.

Flight #24
07-22-2005, 02:34 PM
The next couple years. Forgot how long we have Dye signed though. So maybe not at all. If you were to start giving him more time at 1B, I think it would have to be if things weren't working out well next season. Or if Anderson comes up and hits .350 or so with a high slugging % in limited play

The Sox have Dye locked up for next year and IIRC a team option at $6mil for '07.

As has been stated, the point here is NOT that they should replace Konerko with Dye right now, it's that that could be an option for '06. In that scenario, the Sox ask Jermaine to work out in the offseason at 1B (perhaps in the Fall League), then give him all of ST to work on it. Given his size & athleticism, IMO he'd do at least an average job given that time to work on it. And that would leave the Sox with a lot more options and $$$. The only reason it really comes into play for this year is that if the Sox think that's a viable option for '06, they might make a move and take on more salary for this year under the expectation of letting Paulie go and replacing him with Dye or a Gload/Dye platoon.

As for it reducing his value, how do you figure that increasing his versatility could do that? It's not like he'd be turning himself into a pure 1B, if he hit FA he could always bill himself as an RF again - it's not like 1 year at a new position would wipe out a long history at another.

balke
07-22-2005, 02:41 PM
As for it reducing his value, how do you figure that increasing his versatility could do that? It's not like he'd be turning himself into a pure 1B, if he hit FA he could always bill himself as an RF again - it's not like 1 year at a new position would wipe out a long history at another.

Too valuable in RF now, and probably next season. Way things have gone this season, Ozzie would put Timo out in RF all season in Dye's place. You make a hole that needs to be filled by moving Dye. I think he can do it, I've said it before a lot (Dye moving to 1B) I just don't think this is the year, and I think the Sox need to commit to an upgrade in RF or CF if they wanna do that.

Flight #24
07-22-2005, 02:58 PM
Too valuable in RF now, and probably next season. Way things have gone this season, Ozzie would put Timo out in RF all season in Dye's place. You make a hole that needs to be filled by moving Dye. I think he can do it, I've said it before a lot (Dye moving to 1B) I just don't think this is the year, and I think the Sox need to commit to an upgrade in RF or CF if they wanna do that.

For this season, I'd agree. For next, indications are that Anderson will be ready, I'd agree with you 1000% that it's not a good plan to move Dye and put Timo in RF. What I meant by a move this year wasn't that Dye would move, but that they could make another move(I.e. Jason Schmidt and his $10mil 2006 option) that might preclude resigning Konerko after 05 and plan on moving Dye to 1B instead for 06.