PDA

View Full Version : KW: Time for Reinforcements!

TomBradley72
07-22-2005, 09:11 AM
Starting to feel like 1990 and 2000....great/surprising start...but around the mid point of the year....injuries start to nip at us. In 2000...Eldred, Baldwin, etc...now we have Thomas, Hermanson, Crede, El Duque, Marte and Uribe all will recent/current health problems. And between age and history....we'll need to keep an eye on Everett and Dye.

It's time to shore up our defense (another IF) and our bullpen....how KW addresses this is the #1 factor on how far we go in the post season and if the 2nd half is a nail biter or not. Flash forward a few weeks....and we're past the trading deadline...where are we if we've lost our closer and our regular 3B? Anyone comfortable with Ozuna at 3rd and Politte as our closer for the stretch run?

Not dark clouds...just a fan who's seen many seasons go south due to injury (Bill Melton-72, Dick Allen-73, Richie Zisk-77, Guillen-91, Ordonez/Thomas-2004).

Hokiesox
07-22-2005, 09:14 AM
I second that. No more second-half swoons!

MUsoxfan
07-22-2005, 09:30 AM
Some people never cease to amaze me:o:

Madvora
07-22-2005, 09:32 AM
Trades are coming for sure, but we're going to have to wait until the last minute. Too many teams think they're in it right now. Nobody is going to give up. KW will do something, but my head is swirling from so many rumors. All you can do is wait to be surprised.

9 more days...

MushMouth
07-22-2005, 09:33 AM
Not dark clouds...just a fan who's seen many seasons go south due to injury (Bill Melton-72, Dick Allen-73, Richie Zisk-77, Guillen-91, Ordonez/Thomas-2004).

It doesn't make you a dark clouder imo. These are the facts. We have to get someone in the bullpen with Hermanson needing rest days for the remainder of the year.

downstairs
07-22-2005, 09:36 AM
Some people never cease to amaze me:o:

I think its a completely fair issue. Yeah, its "only July"... but late July is the only time of the year, actually, when such questions can be addressed.

By the end of this next week the Sox need to have a playoff capable team in place AND backups for important positions and/or risky star players.

I'd be willing to bet a good portion of the farm on this season, personally.

MUsoxfan
07-22-2005, 09:42 AM
By the end of this next week the Sox need to have a playoff capable team in place AND backups for important positions and/or risky star players.

I'd be willing to bet a good portion of the farm on this season, personally.

A team that's 30 games over .500 isn't playoff capable? Are you serious? This team (along with every other team in the league) will lose 3 in a row again.

BeviBall!
07-22-2005, 09:43 AM
They're not going to go 30 over in the second half. I think 10 over would be amazing due to the schedule, injuries and not sneaking up on anyone, anymore.

Either way, KW needs to, has to, add a starter and reliever. A back up bat would be nice, but pitching is the key.

downstairs
07-22-2005, 09:51 AM
A team that's 30 games over .500 isn't playoff capable? Are you serious? This team (along with every other team in the league) will lose 3 in a row again.

No no no... not saying this has anything to do with losing 3, 4, 5, 6 games in a row... that's foolish.

My concern is injuries and possible matchups.

The former, you can't predict, so you just have to load up.

The latter... who knows... I haven't analyzed it, but I'd like to make sure that we're prepared to play *playoff* baseball not merely *regular season* baseball.

Those are two very different games.

Again: I'm not saying we're not... I don't know... but its a fair question. That was my only point.

Heffalump
07-22-2005, 10:07 AM
Starting to feel like 1990 and 2000....great/surprising start...but around the mid point of the year....injuries start to nip at us. In 2000...Eldred, Baldwin, etc...now we have Thomas, Hermanson, Crede, El Duque, Marte and Uribe all will recent/current health problems. And between age and history....we'll need to keep an eye on Everett and Dye.

It's time to shore up our defense (another IF) and our bullpen....how KW addresses this is the #1 factor on how far we go in the post season and if the 2nd half is a nail biter or not. Flash forward a few weeks....and we're past the trading deadline...where are we if we've lost our closer and our regular 3B? Anyone comfortable with Ozuna at 3rd and Politte as our closer for the stretch run?

I agree. While I don't think this three game losing streak should cause KW to wet his pants and trade the whole team, We do need a solid utilityman and another reliever. Just some minor tweaking, without trading any big cogs in our team. All the trade Crede BS is just that, BS!!!

Finally, if it is possible to pull off a trade for a #1/#2 starter, KW should pull the trigger. This does not mean Burnett, as he is WAAAY overrated and overpriced. I'm talking somebody like Schmidt.

As for last nights loss, it was brutal!!......But the Sox will pick it up. Remember, we are still 30 games over .500, have a huge 10 game lead, and their are still two months left in the season.

GO SOX!

balke
07-22-2005, 10:30 AM
I think we should have a sub-section in "What's the Score?" called "What Time Is It?" since there's a new thread everyday that tells us what time it is and all.

kevingrt
07-22-2005, 10:53 AM
No no no... not saying this has anything to do with losing 3, 4, 5, 6 games in a row... that's foolish.

My concern is injuries and possible matchups.

The former, you can't predict, so you just have to load up.

The latter... who knows... I haven't analyzed it, but I'd like to make sure that we're prepared to play *playoff* baseball not merely *regular season* baseball.

Those are two very different games.

Again: I'm not saying we're not... I don't know... but its a fair question. That was my only point.

It's a fair question, but it came out at the perfecto time, a three game losing streak. If yopu consider three games in a row a real "streak". More of a phase to me.

ChiSoxPatF
07-22-2005, 11:05 AM
We are in dire need of changes now that we are obviously fading fast by three game skid!

Three games ago everyone was ready to hoist the 2005 pennant after sweeping the Indians and taking the first against Detriot! We have the luxury with this lead to play some of our reserves and rest those injuries. There is a big difference between those previous swoons and 2005:

First, the 2000 swoon was because the aces of our staff went down. Starting pitching injuries are far more serious since entire games hinge on them and our big 3 have remained healthy all year.

Second, the 70s swoons were because the Sox were really one-horse teams. Without Melton, Allen, or Zisk those teams were mediocre at best. Without one or two of our hitters this team is still very functionable - the fact that we did so well without Frank to start the season is proof.
Kenny should make some moves but its not because we're in trouble, its because we have the oppurtunity to go from very good to incredible with a Burnett, Schmidt, or Wagner.