PDA

View Full Version : It could always be worse - Rangers sign James Baldwin

Frater Perdurabo
07-22-2005, 09:08 AM
This came to me via e-mail from the Rangers (I get their e-mails since I've bought tickets to Sox-Rangers games through their ticket office).

The Texas Rangers announced today that the club has acquired right-handed pitcher Kevin Gryboski in a trade with Atlanta for minor league right-handed pitcher Matt Lorenzo. Additionally, the club has acquired right-handed pitcher James Baldwin on a waiver claim from Baltimore. Gryboski (#48) and Baldwin (#39) are both expected to join the Rangers during the club's weekend series against Oakland.

Gryboski, 31, has spent the entire season with Atlanta, posting no record with a 2.95 ERA in 31 relief appearances. Baldwin, the 1996 AL Rookie of the Year, has posted no record with a 1.61 ERA in 12 relief appearances with Baltimore this season.

Here's the link (http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050721&content_id=1139919&vkey=news_tex&fext=.jsp&c_id=tex) to the story from the Rangers' web site.

Madvora
07-22-2005, 09:16 AM
Rookie of the year? I don't remember that.
I hope JB does well for himself, but not for that team. I don't want to meet up with the Rangers again.
Looks like he did alright with his appearances in Baltimore. I wonder what caused them to cut him?

I always liked JB with that extrememly slow walk off the field, the 10 pounds of chew in his mouth and the slight first pump.

Frater Perdurabo
07-22-2005, 09:56 AM
Rookie of the year? I don't remember that.
I hope JB does well for himself, but not for that team. I don't want to meet up with the Rangers again.
Looks like he did alright with his appearances in Baltimore. I wonder what caused them to cut him?

I always liked JB with that extrememly slow walk off the field, the 10 pounds of chew in his mouth and the slight first pump.

Given the choice, I'd rather the Rangers win the Wild Card than Oakland. In any case, if they're having to claim pitchers from the waiver wire, I don't think they are a team about which anyone should be concerned. IIRC, Baldwin is a right-handed flyball pitcher. That's a bad combination in Arlington, where a scientifically-documented "jet stream" turns routine flyouts to right-center into three-run homers, where the short right field fence beckons, and where the Rangers' rangy starting center fielder (Laynce Nix) is on the DL and unable to cover the vast real estate in center and left-center fields. Baldwin's nice ERA will explode within minutes of his first trip to the mound in Arlington.

The 2005 Rangers are done. Stick a fork in 'em.

Lip Man 1
07-22-2005, 12:32 PM
It wasn't a lot of time but didn't he have like a 1. Something ERA with the O's this year in 12 games, 22 innings. I saw something on him yesterday in the papers.

The O's didn't want to release him but it was a numbers game and they needed help elsewhere.

Lip

skottyj242
07-22-2005, 01:29 PM
I remember in 2000 I believe against the Yankees the first game back after the huge seven game road sweep and him getting someong out to end I think the seventh and he did that slow stroll to the dugout and the place went nuts and he gave the crowd one of his patened fist pumps.

SOXPHILE
07-22-2005, 01:35 PM
Think he'll put a dead lobster in Kenny Rogers shoes like he did to Mark Johnson in 2000 ? You know, to kinda loosen things up down there. I hear Kenny Rogers is an all around fun loving guy and has a GREAT sense of humor. He'd probably find it pretty hilarious.

MIgrenade
07-22-2005, 01:39 PM
I remember in 2000 I believe against the Yankees the first game back after the huge seven game road sweep and him getting someong out to end I think the seventh and he did that slow stroll to the dugout and the place went nuts and he gave the crowd one of his patened fist pumps.

That was against the Cubs, at least the one I remember. I also remember the Sox blew the game. He pitched well though.

skottyj242
07-22-2005, 02:05 PM
That was against the Cubs, at least the one I remember. I also remember the Sox blew the game. He pitched well though.

I know for a fact it wasn't against the Cubs.

Now I'm going nuts, I remember I was at the game with my dad but I can't seem to find what game it was. I thought it was the first game back against the Indians (I said Yankees earlier) but Wells pitched that one. I need to stop drinking.

Tekijawa
07-22-2005, 02:08 PM
I hope they aren't making him walk from Baltimore to Texas. The way James walked off the mound it would probably take about 200 years to get there!