PDA

View Full Version : Singleton over Ramirez, We made the wrong decision

beausox
11-23-2001, 11:04 PM
Don't throw things at me yet, hear me out.

Chris Singleton deserves to be a starting CF, he is great on defeense, hits over .300 with marginal power, and can steal a base, everything you could want. The only problem is Aaron Rowand does all of these things and is a better hitter. Rowand is also younger and cheaper.

I doubt Chris will be happy with a fourth outfielders role. We could've (and still can) gotten something in trade for Chris, he would have got his starting role, and we would've gotten prospects in return and solved one position on this team.

Instead we released a 24 year old OF, with all five tools. He is great with the glove, smart on the bases, and has good power, a little more plate discipline an dbelieve it or not, Julio Ramirez would've hit .300 in the majors. He would've been a young, cheap fourth OFer.

This season will be another spent in turmoil if we cannot set a line-up from day one. We made a mistake here and we need to correct it. I like Chris Signleton a lot, but both the Sox and him would be better off if he was on another team.

Daver
11-23-2001, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by beausox

Chris Singleton deserves to be a starting CF, he is great on defeense, hits over .300 with marginal power, and can steal a base, everything you could want. The only problem is Aaron Rowand does all of these things and is a better hitter. Rowand is also younger and cheaper.

I doubt Chris will be happy with a fourth outfielders role. We could've (and still can) gotten something in trade for Chris, he would have got his starting role, and we would've gotten prospects in return and solved one position on this team.

Instead we released a 24 year old OF, with all five tools. He is great with the glove, smart on the bases, and has good power, a little more plate discipline an dbelieve it or not, Julio Ramirez would've hit .300 in the majors. He would've been a young, cheap fourth OFer.

This season will be another spent in turmoil if we cannot set a line-up from day one. We made a mistake here and we need to correct it. I like Chris Signleton a lot, but both the Sox and him would be better off if he was on another team.

Julio Ramirez will probably sign a minor league contract with the Sox,but that being said he has had SIX years in the minors and still cannot hit MLB pitching,how long do you want to wait on him?I agree that he has everything that makes an all-star outfeilder,save the fact that when he was sent down he was batting .109,so that makes him a liability to a MLB franchise.If he could learn to hit at a big league level,he would be an asset,but till then he is a career shoulda been.

But then again what the hell do I know?

PaleHoseGeorge
11-23-2001, 11:26 PM
Honestly, does anybody really think Julio Ramirez would ever learn to hit major league pitching? If he hasn't done it yet, the odds are he never will.

If we had great hitters at catcher, third base, and shortstop, we could afford a no-hit centerfielder. But apparently KW isn't going to get anybody that costs much more than the major league minimum, so we're stuck with some pretty lousy choices.

I'm no fan of Singleton, and I'm still skeptical about Rowand, too. Borchard isn't a true centerfielder, either. This is an obvious position for the Sox to get a free agent, especially if the guy can lead-off (i.e. Johnny Damon).

Instead, JR and KW are inventing new ways for our Sox to finish at .500 again next year.

sigh...

WinningUgly!
11-23-2001, 11:40 PM
Honestly, does anybody really think Julio Ramirez would ever learn to hit major league pitching?
NOPE!
I'll take Singleton as my everyday CFer over Ramirez any day of the week. In Ramirez' defense, though, It would have been nice to keep him up in the bigs a little bit longer last season. At least he could have been used as a defensive replacement & a pinch runner, along with an occassional start. JM was sticking so many guys in the lineup at the start of the season that couldn't get on base...Harold, Clayton, Ramirez, etc. They stuck with the vets & shipped Ramirez off to the minors...too bad for him.

Daver
11-23-2001, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Honestly, does anybody really think Julio Ramirez would ever learn to hit major league pitching? If he hasn't done it yet, the odds are he never will.

If we had great hitters at catcher, third base, and shortstop, we could afford a no-hit centerfielder. But apparently KW isn't going to get anybody that costs much more than the major league minimum, so we're stuck with some pretty lousy choices.

I'm no fan of Singleton, and I'm still skeptical about Rowand, too. Borchard isn't a true centerfielder, either. This is an obvious position for the Sox to get a free agent, especially if the guy can lead-off (i.e. Johnny Damon).

Instead, JR and KW are inventing new ways for our Sox to finish at .500 again next year.

sigh...

I disagree George,Borchard will be a good CF,but he will not help the Sox in 2002,if there is baseball in 2002,and you will not get Damon unless you sign him to big money for a long term.I would rather let Rowand play CF till Borchard is ready than spend big dollars on someone that will be keeping a starter in the minors,as was the case with Herbert Perry.

But then again what the hell do I know?

beausox
11-23-2001, 11:47 PM
I jsut wanted to keep Ramirez as a back-up, with Simmons (and Liefer who can also play 1B and 3B). I think Rowand shoudl start every day next year. Borchard may not be a true CF, but the idea of a Lee, Borchard, Ordonez outfield by 2003 makes me think we could dominate for a long time and shoudl make both opposing pitchers, and our day of game pitches shudder.

THE BIGGEST MISTAKE WE COULD MAKE WOULD BE TO WASTE MONEY ON BRADY ANDERSON. I HAVE HEARD RUMORS ABOUT THIS AND IT SCARES THE !#!* OUTTA ME!

WinningUgly!
11-23-2001, 11:57 PM
Brady Anderson would only make sense for us as a 4th outfielder. I don't think he even played much CF the last few seasons. He is a left handed bat, that could be a possiblity in the leadoff spot, but there's no way we should/would spend big money on him. I could live with a one year deal.

GASHWOUND
11-24-2001, 12:51 AM

sigh...

Yeah, that says it perfectly..
:KW
"We have injured players returning, its like we're getting free agents for free!"

duke of dorwood
11-24-2001, 10:17 AM
What is being set up here, by their expressions about not wanting any free agent additions, is a lot of interchangable players, AGAIN. So, more of different line-ups every day, taking a long time to find a winning combination. Other than Maggs, we need a clear cut dominant player in more positions to improve.

harwar
11-24-2001, 10:56 AM

Maybe we should institute the little know designated fielder rule.That way we have a great outfielder who won't hurt us at the plate.I mean i think its a great idea,and i don't come up with too many these days.As a former CF,i just love J.Ramirez.I would love to see a Sox offensive juggernaught where there would be room for a great defensive outfielder like him.I think there is no bigger thrill in baseball than a great throw gunning down a guy or an impossible catch by the CF.Just my humble opinion.

RedPinStripes
11-24-2001, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by beausox

I think Ramierez hit about .220 in AAA. Aft 6 years in the minors, I highly doubt he will ever hit .300 at the MLB level.

If we could get Damon for long term, I would be willing to give up Rowand and let Borchard play a corner position like he's supposed to.

That will never happen since JR is determined to show him off as the next Micky Mantle. He'll be in cf weather he should be there or not.

Jerry_Manuel
11-24-2001, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Other than Maggs, we need a clear cut dominant player in more positions to improve.

DH: Thomas
1B: Konerko

Nobody on the team is a better hitter then Thomas. And Konerko is the best 1st baseman on the team. Liefer is a backup to both of these men.

Jerry_Manuel
11-24-2001, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by ComiskeyBum
That will never happen since JR is determined to show him off as the next Micky Mantle. He'll be in cf weather he should be there or not.

He can handle center just fine. The Barons ball park is huge if he can play that he can play Comiskey.

Jerry_Manuel
11-24-2001, 11:53 AM

sigh...

Well if Valentin is back at short that's one down and two to go. No he's not a great hitter he is better then Royce. George you've seen this mess enough times to know it's the Chairman making the calls on money. Not his mouthpiece Kenny Williams.

kermittheefrog
11-24-2001, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Brady Anderson would only make sense for us as a 4th outfielder. I don't think he even played much CF the last few seasons. He is a left handed bat, that could be a possiblity in the leadoff spot, but there's no way we should/would spend big money on him. I could live with a one year deal.

Brady Anderson sucks, he's a waste of time and money. I read in Baseball Weekly that the Mets and Sox are vying for him. WHAT THE HELL? Why are two teams vying for a guy who had the worst OPS among regular AL outfielders? Sure he walks a lot but when you hit .202 you're pretty screwed. He doesn't even play a good centerfield anymore.

Jerry_Manuel
11-24-2001, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Brady Anderson sucks

That's all you had to say.