PDA

View Full Version : Hermanson Back Update

Lip Man 1
07-22-2005, 01:19 AM
There was a Mark Gonzales story in the Tribune tonight where he spoke with Dustin Hermanson. Hermanson admitted his problem is an 'inflamed disk...'

As was pointed out in another thread if ever there was a time to use him considering he hasn't thrown in awhile it would have been last night or Thursday.

This sounds a little more difficult then just 'back spasms,' as was reported earlier in the week. I think Ozzie also mentioned the same thing, i.e. 'spasms.'

Two weeks to go Kenny, makes some moves. Chemistry is all well and good but the Oakland A's of 72, 73 and 74 proved that while chemistry is nice, talent is better...besides as Hermanson himself said, (I'm paraphrasing) 'we won't let someone disrupt the chemistry, we'll make the guy stand in the corner first.'

Lip

Unregistered
07-22-2005, 01:42 AM
There was a Mark Gonzales story in the Tribune tonight where he spoke with Dustin Hermanson. Hermanson admitted his problem is an 'inflamed disk...'

As was pointed out in another thread if ever there was a time to use him considering he hasn't thrown in awhile it would have been last night or Thursday.

This sounds a little more difficult then just 'back spasms,' as was reported earlier in the week. I think Ozzie also mentioned the same thing, i.e. 'spasms.'

Two weeks to go Kenny, makes some moves. Chemistry is all well and good but the Oakland A's of 72, 73 and 74 proved that while chemistry is nice, talent is better...besides as Hermanson himself said, (I'm paraphrasing) 'we won't let someone disrupt the chemistry, we'll make the guy stand in the corner first.'

LipHermanson was warming up in the bullpen in the 8th inning tonight.

Optipessimism
07-22-2005, 01:44 AM
Let him rest.

Kenny, the time is now. Screw this 'chemistry' stuff. Let's put together a winner.

Lip Man 1
07-22-2005, 01:50 AM
Unregistered:

Actually he's been warming up off and on without seeing any action for some bizarre reason.

My point is this may be a little more serious then first thought. Even Ozzie said he can't be put in a position where he doesn't know if he can use the guy or not. With Shingo gone and Jenks not even knowing where home plate is, the bullpen is a tad thin don't ya think?

Lip

The Racehorse
07-22-2005, 05:30 AM
First Crede now Hermy.... inflamed disks are the injury-du-jour. :(:

Dan H
07-22-2005, 07:12 AM
Unregistered:

Actually he's been warming up off and on without seeing any action for some bizarre reason.

My point is this may be a little more serious then first thought. Even Ozzie said he can't be put in a position where he doesn't know if he can use the guy or not. With Shingo gone and Jenks not even knowing where home plate is, the bullpen is a tad thin don't ya think?

Lip

With this stuff, I felt like I was watching a Cubs spin. Guillen acting unconcerned, saying he would just use someone else in that role. You just can't make someone a closer. Trouble, I don't think it is that easy to go out and get a closer this time of the season.

But if Hermanson is on the shelf, Williams needs to do something. The Sox are hitting the rough part of their schedule, and they need to hold their own. This is no time to think you have it cinched.

Trav
07-22-2005, 08:26 AM
Usually when two people much smarter than me say something I believe it. This time is no exception. I do have a question, however. With a 10 game lead in the central, is trading for a closer really necessary? Don't we have a little room to rest Hermanson and try Politte for the next week or so as long as we don't fall to far down?

I think a trade for some bullpen help would be great but if we don't I doubt that we will run in to that much trouble. Then again, I don't have any articles about the White Sox published much less a couple of books so I leave it to the real experts to fill me in. Thanks.

Madvora
07-22-2005, 08:36 AM
With a 10 game lead in the central, is trading for a closer really necessary? Don't we have a little room to rest Hermanson and try Politte for the next week or so as long as we don't fall to far down?
Well, I 'm not worried about losing the division, but we still want to keep this team strong and why not make it as strong as possible? You still have the playoffs and every night will be games just like last night. The way the Sox play every single one of those games could be 1 run affairs. That's a lot of work for Hermanson. Plus, he's hurt, so you don't want to take any chances. Build up this team as strong as you can because this is the year to do it.

Trav
07-22-2005, 09:51 AM
Well, I 'm not worried about losing the division, but we still want to keep this team strong and why not make it as strong as possible? You still have the playoffs and every night will be games just like last night. The way the Sox play every single one of those games could be 1 run affairs. That's a lot of work for Hermanson. Plus, he's hurt, so you don't want to take any chances. Build up this team as strong as you can because this is the year to do it.

I didn't watch the game so I don't know, but from all the recaps I read it sounds like the game was lost because of errors. I doubt that KW is going trade for anyone besides a pitcher so that is what my post was about. I think a healthy Hermanson is better than anyone on the market and I think he will get healthy with rest. If Wagner was available it would be a diferent story.

kevingrt
07-22-2005, 10:48 AM
Let him rest.

Kenny, the time is now. Screw this 'chemistry' stuff. Let's put together a winner.

See the thing is then when Kenny makes a blockbuster trade and gets someone amazing, lets say a Billy Wagner for example. What happens if we start sucking and everyone is like why'd you mess with the team chemistry and crap? People on this board are passionate Sox fans but they kill me sometime with there fickleness, kinda like women. Oh well...

Lip Man 1
07-22-2005, 12:18 PM
Trav:

You have a good point, Politte and Marte could in theory share the duties for awhile but the pen right now, in overall numbers with good arms is down without Hermanson.

They may not have to get a 'closer' per say but they do need bullpen help, another arm or two wouldn't hurt. The sooner, the better.

Lip

Vernam
07-22-2005, 12:31 PM
With this stuff, I felt like I was watching a Cubs spin. Guillen acting unconcerned, saying he would just use someone else in that role.
Today, Dusty Baker said they were considering the use of Mordecai "Three-Finger" Brown as their replacement starter. "I think Brown will be okay, he's just feeling some stiffness," Baker stated. :redneck

The last line of that Hermanson story gives me pause: "I'll be out there and pitching with pain as much as possible," Hermanson said. Admirable, but not what you want to hear.

All the other trade speculation is just tinkering around the margins if we end up without a proven closer. After three years of Koch and Takatsu, I'd be fairly comfortable with Politte (heck, even with Marte, Cotts, or Jenks, by comparison), but getting Wagner or some suchlike would be a big boost.

VC

my5thbench
07-22-2005, 03:14 PM
I think Wagner will be available but KW must be willing to part with

quality prospects to get him......that he should do....this is our

chance for a world series, Sox need to go for it

Iwritecode
07-22-2005, 03:20 PM
I think Wagner will be available but KW must be willing to part with

quality prospects to get him......that he should do....this is our

chance for a world series, Sox need to go for it

With the spacing, commas and ... in that post I felt like I was reading a line from Captain Kirk.

my5thbench
07-22-2005, 03:28 PM
geeeze code, ya' think I need to take an English class?

I've been out of school an awful long time

Iwritecode
07-22-2005, 03:33 PM
geeeze code, ya' think I need to take an English class?

I've been out of school an awful long time

Just messing with ya. :)