PDA

View Full Version : Is Uribe's Problem the 9 Hole?

GiveMeSox
07-22-2005, 12:49 AM
Uribe was basically great last year hitting .282 with 20+ homers and ever carried this team offensively for a while. He is a good fastball hitter. So why is he struggling so much? Maybe it has something to with going from the top of the order last year to the bottom this year. He is not getting the same pitches to hit, not very many fastballs. They are giving him junk and more junk in the 9 hole. Maybe the league just adjusted to him after his break out year in the AL in 2004. I dont know but something doens't seem right. He swings at the same pitches all the time that are unhittable, crappy sliders, splitters, and stuff that are out of the strikezone. What gives for real?

MIgrenade
07-22-2005, 12:52 AM
Could be the case. I know he swings at a lot of garbage and, as Steve Stone said, this is what Uribe is. He isn't going to change.

chisoxmike
07-22-2005, 01:02 AM
I think that Crede and Uribe need to be broken up in the lineup. It helped with Konerko and Dye eariler in the season, maybe it could work with Crede and Uribe.

balke
07-22-2005, 01:07 AM
Judging by Uribe's huge slump last season, I would say his #'s are just a semi-mirage. It probably would be a little better in the #2 slot, but not as good as Gooch's. Uribe is just not as good a hitter as we think I believe. He's a heck of a defender, and good overall though.

Region Sox
07-22-2005, 01:14 AM
He is .266 for his career. And .282 may be a high... He is what he is. I think the 8-9 have kind of been like automatic outs. Almost like an NL team.

Madvora
07-22-2005, 08:52 AM
Didn't Bill Mueller win the batting title hitting out of the 7th or 8th spot?
If you're a good hitter, you'll get your hits. Uribe is a wild swinger, that's going to happen.

I remember reading posts from Rockies fans about him last year. At the time Uribe was tearing it up hitting about .340 or something and they said to beware because he does this, he starts out real hot, then really comes down to Earth. He ended up at .283 last year, which is great, but he really hit a slump to drop his average by that much.
We know what we have with Uribe. I think this is what he's going to be for us. Really Vizquel would be a great replacement for this team. You don't want to sacrifice that defence, and you need an upgrade in the hitting.
At least we're not stuck with Valentin anymore.

GAsoxfan
07-22-2005, 09:32 AM
I think the 8-9 have kind of been like automatic outs. Almost like an NL team.

Worse than some NL teams. Uribe has a lower OBP (.266) than Dontrelle Willis (.275). Uribe has been awful in July with a .175 BA and .214 OBP. A .214 BA would get you benched, let alone an OBP. I think Ozzie needs to sit Uribe down for awhile and see if sitting for a week or so can get him out of this funk. I know Uribe is an excellent defender, but he better be able to cover two positions to justify playing with those numbers.

Really Vizquel would be a great replacement for this team. You don't want to sacrifice that defence, but you need an upgrade in the hitting.

I think Vizquel would be a great addition. His batting average is about 30 points higher than Uribe's OBP, and it wouldn't be a big drop defensively. Vizquel may not be the defender he once was, but he's still pretty good.

BeviBall!
07-22-2005, 09:48 AM
You need Juan in there for his defense. He saves more runs than you would imagine. He's starting to show some signs of coming around at the plate... you've stuck with him this long, you can't pull the plug now.

GAsoxfan
07-22-2005, 10:09 AM
He's starting to show some signs of coming around at the plate... you've stuck with him this long, you can't pull the plug now.

What signs?

White Sox Randy
07-22-2005, 10:33 AM
that he can't hit and he can't get on base.

kevingrt
07-22-2005, 10:45 AM
You need Juan in there for his defense. He saves more runs than you would imagine. He's starting to show some signs of coming around at the plate... you've stuck with him this long, you can't pull the plug now.

I agree his defense is amazing. Harold Reynolds on ESPN Radio said we need someone on defense that is lights out. He was like we need a amazing defensive SS, and I was like what the hell. Uribe is one of the best out there with the second best cannon in the game next to Rafeal Furcal. We aren't going to find any better SS on the trade market right now. Or at least I don't think there are any out there.

Plus if hitting in the nine hole is Uribe's problem, how would we solve that? We can't really move him anywhere else, maybe the eight hole?

CHIsoxNation
07-22-2005, 11:12 AM
He needs to learn how to take some pitches. I get that he is a free swinger but geez. Him and AJ seem to be swinging at everything these days.

scottjanssens
07-22-2005, 11:15 AM
Yesterday I saw the most amazing thing at the ballpark. In a million years I never thought I'd see it. Uribe walked on four pitches.

Fake Chet Lemon
07-22-2005, 12:24 PM
Uribe was basically great last year hitting .282 with 20+ homers and ever carried this team offensively for a while. He is a good fastball hitter. So why is he struggling so much?

No, it's that scouting is so awesome (ask Shingo about this one). After his torrid start last year the scouts quickly figured out he swings at everything and the pitchers adjusted. Uribe and Walker haven't.

Juan Uribe = Spanish for Corey Patterson at the dish

Fake Chet Lemon
07-22-2005, 12:29 PM

Crede and Juan both play good defense, yes. But you can't carry BOTH of their bats. One of them needs to be replaced to compete with big boys in October. Crede and Uribe are going to lead us to the World Series........please.

maurice
07-22-2005, 12:30 PM
He's just an extremely streaky hitter. Fortunately, he's an outstanding defensive player at the 2nd most important defensive position, he's a surprisingly good situational hitter, he's cheap, and he's young. He also seems to be a really positive influence in the dugout. He'll be a starting SS in MLB for a very long time.

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-22-2005, 12:42 PM
someone needs to tell him to take a pitch. He's such a big rally killer.