PDA

View Full Version : Contreras trade question

mdep524
07-21-2005, 07:57 PM
There's been a lot of talk about including Jose Contreras in potential deals for AJ Burnett or Jason Schmidt, but doesn't Jose have a full no-trade clause? Could he/would he refuse to accept a trade to Florida or SF? Is this even an issue?

Frater Perdurabo
07-21-2005, 09:10 PM
There's been a lot of talk about including Jose Contreras in potential deals for AJ Burnett or Jason Schmidt, but doesn't Jose have a full no-trade clause? Could he/would he refuse to accept a trade to Florida or SF? Is this even an issue?

The answer would be in whether or not he had to waive a no-trade clause to come to the White Sox from the Yankees last year. I don't have his contract info in front of me, but I would have to think that very few players would want to leave New York (which last year was a favorite for the AL pennant) to join a team that had just lost its two best hitters. Then again, this is just pure speculation on my part.

Domeshot17
07-21-2005, 09:12 PM
I don't think he has a full no trade, he got dealt here last year

mdep524
07-21-2005, 09:43 PM
I don't think he has a full no trade, he got dealt here last year True, but IIRC he had to actively waive his no trade clause to come to the Sox, otherwise the deal wouldn't have happened. Does anyone remember that?

sircaffey1
07-21-2005, 11:59 PM
If Jose's dealt to Florida, I see no reason why Jose wouldn't accept a trade there. Huge Cuban population and you can't get any closer in the U.S. to his homeland.

MIgrenade
07-22-2005, 12:04 AM
If Jose's dealt to Florida, I see no reason why Jose wouldn't accept a trade there. Huge Cuban population and you can't get any closer in the U.S. to his homeland.

Yeah no reason, except for the Sox having a great record and will make the playoffs. While he may enjoy it there, he is not going to want to leave.

santo=dorf
07-22-2005, 02:02 AM
True, but IIRC he had to actively waive his no trade clause to come to the Sox, otherwise the deal wouldn't have happened. Does anyone remember that?

Obtained from the New York Yankees on Saturday for slumping All-Star Esteban Loaiza, Contreras had waived his no-trade clause with the Yankees. "I accepted the trade because I knew they wanted me out of New York," he said through a translator. "If Iím at your house and you donít want me there, Iím going to leave. I had to leave because they didnít want me there."

http://www.showmenews.com/2004/Aug/20040804Spor006.asp

mdep524
07-22-2005, 12:47 PM
Obtained from the New York Yankees on Saturday for slumping All-Star Esteban Loaiza, Contreras had waived his no-trade clause with the Yankees. "I accepted the trade because I knew they wanted me out of New York," he said through a translator. "If Iím at your house and you donít want me there, Iím going to leave. I had to leave because they didnít want me there."http://www.showmenews.com/2004/Aug/20040804Spor006.asp OK, so is this to say that Contreras would have to waive his no-trade clause again to be traded now? If so I wonder if he would apply the same "unwanted house guest" scenario to rationalize his departure, or if he would say "I'm not going to SF, period."