PDA

View Full Version : Adam Dunn Poll

santo=dorf
07-21-2005, 05:59 PM
The good side: .942 OPS, 25 HR, 56 RBI's
The bad side. .240 BA, 101 K's in 313 AB's, 8 career sac flies in 595 games :o:

Personally I think he's a little overrated, and the statheads underestimate the value of putting the ball into play. Today in a 5-4 game, Dunn comes up with 1 out and the bases loaded, and he strikes out. I know his OBP is high, but in close games where the ball needs to be put into play to score the run, I wouldn't count on him. Suppose your team is down by 1 in the 8th inning with 1 out and a runner on third. Do you want Adam Dunn at the plate over a guy who puts the ball in play much more often? I wouldn't

balke
07-21-2005, 07:06 PM
I was surprised how much he's walked this season, but Dunn doesn't really do anything with that batting average, and strikeout total. Hr's are nice, but give me a .300 avg with it. I said overrated, but a lot of people already know this about DUnn, so who knows?

fquaye149
07-22-2005, 02:23 AM
there will come a time when Dunn will be feared. That will be the time when he figures out the strike zone.

I don't know whether that will come in a year, 5 years or 15 years. It will come, and he will be damn good. He has the plate discipline. The problem is that so many of his k's are backward. If he had someone like Frank to teach him about the strike zone (or maybe it can't be taught)...he would be a monster.

that POWER! that DISCIPLINE!

but for now, he's mediocre and therefore neither under nor overrated

soxfanreggie
07-22-2005, 03:09 AM
The only way I want Frank sharing his secrets is to a guy on the team who's locked up to a long term deal with us :cool:

fquaye149
07-22-2005, 03:17 AM
The only way I want Frank sharing his secrets is to a guy on the team who's locked up to a long term deal with us :cool:

[insert deep pink wink]

Randar68
07-22-2005, 11:49 AM
Dunn is like a better version of Paul Konerko. Maybe he's more akin to Thome (without quite the average)

Dunn is another guy who might be a 1B candidate. He's a bit of a hack in the OF, but damn if he isn't rangy... not sure if he has the ability to play first or not, but he won't be in Cinci with Casey there...

PatK
07-22-2005, 12:44 PM
Dunn, IMO, has a horrible swing. Sometimes when he strikes out he looks like someone that has never picked up a bat in their life.

SOXPHILE
07-22-2005, 01:38 PM
Are you kidding ? Yeah, he hits homeruns, but he strikes out like, a bajillion times a year. Last year, I think he struck out 195 times. That's Jose Hernandez territory.

Randar68
07-22-2005, 01:42 PM
Are you kidding ? Yeah, he hits homeruns, but he strikes out like, a bajillion times a year. Last year, I think he struck out 195 times. That's Jose Hernandez territory.

And he walked more than anybody on the White Sox. Do you have a point?

A strike out is just an out.

SOXPHILE
07-22-2005, 01:54 PM

It's just an out ? Yes, but it's bad because you don't make the defense get you out, & you don't advance runners. A sac fly to score a run is considered a constructive out. A strike out is just that. A strike out. You didn't even put the ball in play.

fquaye149
07-22-2005, 02:01 PM

The only true outcomes in baseball: the strikeout, the walk, the homerun:redneck

Randar68
07-22-2005, 02:02 PM
It's just an out ? Yes, but it's bad because you don't make the defense get you out, & you don't advance runners. A sac fly to score a run is considered a constructive out. A strike out is just that. A strike out. You didn't even put the ball in play.

And you didn't hit into a DP either. Again, I understand all of this, but he strikes out, big deal. He also can hit 50 HR's and get on-base at a .380+ clip.

Last year he finished the season with a .266-47-102 and an OPS of .956, a better season by a long-shot than anyone on the Sox has ever had except for Frank Thomas.

That would be the second-highest HR-total in Sox history behind only Albert Belle.

Is he overrated? Perhaps a little, as his average has sufferred a bit this year, but sheeesh, the guy is a machine, and I'd take him over anyone in our middle of the order 8 days a week as long as I don't have to watch him play defense, LOL!...

SOXPHILE
07-22-2005, 02:24 PM
And you didn't hit into a DP either. Again, I understand all of this, but he strikes out, big deal. He also can hit 50 HR's and get on-base at a .380+ clip.

Last year he finished the season with a .266-47-102 and an OPS of .956, a better season by a long-shot than anyone on the Sox has ever had except for Frank Thomas.

That would be the second-highest HR-total in Sox history behind only Albert Belle.

Is he overrated? Perhaps a little, as his average has sufferred a bit this year, but sheeesh, the guy is a machine, and I'd take him over anyone in our middle of the order 8 days a week as long as I don't have to watch him play defense, LOL!...

True, it's not a double play, you only make ONE out when you strike out. But, I just have this extreme hatred for the K, especially with guys anwhere on base. I get pissed when somebody hits into a DP too, for obvious reasons, but with less than 2 out, when somebody strikes out with guy(s) on second and/or third, AAAHHHRRGG !! Now, his defense, well, that's another subject I won't even get into. :cool:

santo=dorf
07-22-2005, 05:39 PM

What about with the situation I presented?

Suppose your team is down by 1 in the 8th inning with 1 out and a runner on third. Do you want Adam Dunn at the plate over a guy who puts the ball in play much more often? I wouldn't

The guy struck out looking on a pitch right down the ****ing plate off of Jerome Williams, and he couldn't get a run in during a one run game with the bags loaded and one out. Shouldn't someone with 25 HR's have more than 56 RBI's? (Cincy's offense isn't that bad either.)

I'm not surprised at all with who said he was underrated either. :cool:

SoxSpeed22
07-22-2005, 05:58 PM
The good side: .942 OPS, 25 HR, 56 RBI's
The bad side. .240 BA, 101 K's in 313 AB's, 8 career sac flies in 595 games :o::LTP"Geez, I could do better than that. Or maybe the Bears are signing more quarterbacks."

santo=dorf
07-22-2005, 06:15 PM
Question for the resident statheads; I often see statheads preached how pitchers should tried to lower their BABIP (balls batted into play) therefore a strikeout pitcher is more ideal over a groundball pitcher. I got a chuckle from Buster Onley (East Coast stathead) when he made the comment "Groundball pitchers are going to give up hits" while showing highlights of Garland getting knocked around on BBTN.

Now, if a strikeout is overrated for batters, why the hell is it so important for pitchers to try to get as many as possible? :?: