PDA

View Full Version : Extension for Selig?

Jerry_Manuel
11-23-2001, 06:11 PM
Selig term extension possible when owners meet Tuesday
By RONALD BLUM
AP Sports Writer
November 22, 2001
NEW YORK (AP) -- While Bud Selig hopes the major leagues gets smaller, his term as baseball commissioner may get longer.

His plan to eliminate two teams has been stalled by a Minnesota judge, Selig called for owners to gather again on Tuesday in Chicago -- a meeting where his term could be extended.

A high-ranking team official, citing conversations with owners, said Wednesday a formal agenda had not been received by all teams but the subject of an extension could be brought to a vote.

Selig, whose family has controlled the Milwaukee Brewers since 1970, was unanimously elected to a five-year term in July 1998 after serving as acting commissioner for nearly six years. He could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

Selig attempted to keep the meeting secret.

``The primary purpose is updating on contraction,'' said Sandy Alderson, executive vice president of baseball operations in the commissioner's office.

The meeting comes three weeks after owners voted to fold two teams before next season. Although the teams haven't been picked, the Montreal Expos and Twins are the most likely candidates, with Florida, Oakland and Tampa Bay less-discussed possibilities.

However, a temporary injunction obtained last week by the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission, which operates the Metrodome, forces the Twins to fulfill their lease and play next season.

The Twins and baseball are appealing the decision, a process that could take months. Chief Justice Kathleen Blatz on Wednesday gave the MSFC until Nov. 28 to respond to baseball's bid for a speedy review, including its request to have the case heard by Dec. 7.

Meanwhile, a squabble broke out among owners and players on the union's grievance to block contraction. The sides can't agree on when to begin the hearing before arbitrator Shyam Das, with management wanting it to start later than sooner. Das likely will have to set the hearing date on his own.

With contraction plans dragging on, Twins president Jerry Bell said the team will soon have to start selling tickets for next season.

``There's no question it's slowed us down,'' he said from his office in Minneapolis. ``It's not business as usual. We have not sent out our season-ticker renewal forms, lined up group sales, all the things we'd be doing now.''

Asked when the renewal process would have to begin, Bell said ``it's probably more like weeks than months.''

Twins owner Carl Pohlad, frustrated at the government's refusal to help fund a new ballpark, volunteered to have his team folded. Selig is attempting to eliminate two teams, saying they are a drain on baseball's revenues and have little hope without new ballparks.

``It could be a sad day,'' said Minnesota state Rep. Harry Mares, a Republican who sponsored a Twins' stadium bill last session.

``If they name the teams it will be very difficult'' to stop contraction, he said. ``Once you name the teams you're basically giving your word and you better follow through with that.''

Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura doesn't plan to attend the owners' meeting.

``We've delivered as strong a message as we possibly can,'' Ventura spokesman John Wodele said, referring to the governor's many interviews this week in which he asked baseball to spare the Twins for at least one more season.

Ventura isn't convinced that Tuesday's meeting will advance baseball's plan.

``They might be meeting to delay it,'' Wodele said.

GASHWOUND
11-23-2001, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Selig term extension possible when owners meet Tuesday
By RONALD BLUM
AP Sports Writer
November 22, 2001
NEW YORK (AP) -- While Bud Selig hopes the major leagues gets smaller, his term as baseball commissioner may get longer.

His plan to eliminate two teams has been stalled by a Minnesota judge, Selig called for owners to gather again on Tuesday in Chicago -- a meeting where his term could be extended.

A high-ranking team official, citing conversations with owners, said Wednesday a formal agenda had not been received by all teams but the subject of an extension could be brought to a vote.

Selig, whose family has controlled the Milwaukee Brewers since 1970, was unanimously elected to a five-year term in July 1998 after serving as acting commissioner for nearly six years. He could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

Selig attempted to keep the meeting secret.

``The primary purpose is updating on contraction,'' said Sandy Alderson, executive vice president of baseball operations in the commissioner's office.

The meeting comes three weeks after owners voted to fold two teams before next season. Although the teams haven't been picked, the Montreal Expos and Twins are the most likely candidates, with Florida, Oakland and Tampa Bay less-discussed possibilities.

However, a temporary injunction obtained last week by the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission, which operates the Metrodome, forces the Twins to fulfill their lease and play next season.

The Twins and baseball are appealing the decision, a process that could take months. Chief Justice Kathleen Blatz on Wednesday gave the MSFC until Nov. 28 to respond to baseball's bid for a speedy review, including its request to have the case heard by Dec. 7.

Meanwhile, a squabble broke out among owners and players on the union's grievance to block contraction. The sides can't agree on when to begin the hearing before arbitrator Shyam Das, with management wanting it to start later than sooner. Das likely will have to set the hearing date on his own.

With contraction plans dragging on, Twins president Jerry Bell said the team will soon have to start selling tickets for next season.

``There's no question it's slowed us down,'' he said from his office in Minneapolis. ``It's not business as usual. We have not sent out our season-ticker renewal forms, lined up group sales, all the things we'd be doing now.''

Asked when the renewal process would have to begin, Bell said ``it's probably more like weeks than months.''

Twins owner Carl Pohlad, frustrated at the government's refusal to help fund a new ballpark, volunteered to have his team folded. Selig is attempting to eliminate two teams, saying they are a drain on baseball's revenues and have little hope without new ballparks.

``It could be a sad day,'' said Minnesota state Rep. Harry Mares, a Republican who sponsored a Twins' stadium bill last session.

``If they name the teams it will be very difficult'' to stop contraction, he said. ``Once you name the teams you're basically giving your word and you better follow through with that.''

Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura doesn't plan to attend the owners' meeting.

``We've delivered as strong a message as we possibly can,'' Ventura spokesman John Wodele said, referring to the governor's many interviews this week in which he asked baseball to spare the Twins for at least one more season.

Ventura isn't convinced that Tuesday's meeting will advance baseball's plan.

``They might be meeting to delay it,'' Wodele said.

Why would they extend the contract for this doofis? What the hell is wrong with baseball if this is the best commissioner you can get? Don't answer that..

Daver
11-23-2001, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND

Why would they extend the contract for this doofis? What the hell is wrong with baseball if this is the best commissioner you can get? Don't answer that..

I say we start a petition to have a write in canidate for comissioner,I nominate Carlton Fisk.

Spiff
11-23-2001, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by daver

I say we start a petition to have a write in canidate for comissioner,I nominate Carlton Fisk.

I nominate Cal Ripken.

Paulwny
11-23-2001, 06:47 PM
Tony Gwynn

Jerry_Manuel
11-23-2001, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Tony Gwynn

Anyone but a former Yankee player right Paul?

Spiff
11-23-2001, 06:48 PM
Tony Gwynn

He'd be a good choice but he'd probably rather coach at SDSU.

Paulwny
11-23-2001, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Anyone but a former Yankee player right Paul?

That's obvious

GASHWOUND
11-23-2001, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by daver

:reinsy
"I nominate myself!"

Soxheads
11-23-2001, 07:01 PM
I'd have to agree with Paul.

Jerry_Manuel
11-23-2001, 07:01 PM
That's obvious

Yeah I know but I just wanted to hear you say it.

Paulwny
11-23-2001, 07:02 PM

:reinsy
"I nominate myself!"

He has all sox fans hating him, why not all of baseball?
Good Choice !!!

GASHWOUND
11-23-2001, 07:03 PM
Tony Gwynn

We need a guy like that. A Cal Ripken type who isn't a greedy, self absorbed bastard. Hmmm, not many around these days.

Nellie_Fox
11-24-2001, 12:10 AM
a greedy, self absorbed bastard.

What does Randy Moss have to do with it?

GASHWOUND
11-24-2001, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox

What does Randy Moss have to do with it?

Moss makes greedy, self absorbed bastards look like saints. So Moss is below that.