PDA

View Full Version : Rappoport: Red Sox series won't have "Wrigley Feel"

Foulke You
07-21-2005, 03:02 PM
White Sox-Red Sox series won't have a Wrigley feel

July 21, 2005

Great Thoughts of Midwestern Man: Never mind: How exciting to have the Red Sox in town over the weekend. I'm looking for massive displays of enthusiasm, SRO crowds at the ballpark, wall-to-wall coverage on everything from ESPN and CNN to the Food Network and no end of excitement the entire time they're here.

Oh, right, they're playing the White Sox, aren't they?

http://www.suntimes.com/output/rapoport/cst-spt-rap21.html

What a moron! Hey Lip, Rappoport listens to your emails. Ask him why he makes moronic statements like this. The Sox are expecting sellouts (or near sellouts) all weekend long and the series is much anticipated amongst our fans. It isn't the fault of Sox fans that the media isn't soiling it's pants as they did when they came to play the Cubs. After all, this is only the "2nd time ever in the history of Chicago" that the Red Sox are visiting Chicago right??:mad:

DaveIsHere
07-21-2005, 03:04 PM
That is right, cause it will having the feeling of two first place teams playing.

What a JackASS!!!

Dick Allen
07-21-2005, 03:09 PM
Rappaport is another Cub-Times cub-loving turd. I plan on sending my own e-mail to him.

balke
07-21-2005, 03:11 PM
The Red Sox are in the AL, we play them all the time. There's no comparison to be had. I'm waiting for the feeling when the Cards play the White Sox.

ShoelessJoeS
07-21-2005, 03:16 PM
The Red Sox are in the AL, we play them all the time. There's no comparison to be had. I'm waiting for the feeling when the Cards play the White Sox.
I can't wait til October either.

Vernam
07-21-2005, 03:21 PM
In fairness to Rappoport, that item could be interpreted as a swipe at how the media treat the Sox. "Where is all the coverage?", in other words, instead of "Who cares about the South Side?"

The headline is what gives it an anti-Sox tinge, but he probably had no say in that.

VC

Taliesinrk
07-21-2005, 03:24 PM
I'm sorry.. I guess I'm just really ignorant, but what's the joke with the BoSox and this only being their second visit to Chicago?

mr_genius
07-21-2005, 03:24 PM
In fairness to Rappoport, that item could be interpreted as a swipe at how the media treat the Sox. "Where is all the coverage?", in other words, instead of "Who cares about the South Side?"

The headline is what gives it an anti-Sox tinge, but he probably had no say in that.

VC

good point

but i doubt that is what he meant

Foulke You
07-21-2005, 03:29 PM
I'm sorry.. I guess I'm just really ignorant, but what's the joke with the BoSox and this only being their second visit to Chicago?
It is a swipe at how the media covered the Yankees/Cubs and Red Sox/Cubs series at Wrigley. They acted like it was the first time those two teams visited the city of Chicago. It was especially evident during the Yankees series but also visible for the Boston one. Comparisons of the two fanbases, Chicago Pizza vs. New York Pizza, side by side comparisons of Fenway vs Wrigley, interviews with New York and Boston players asking them what they thought of our city even though they've been coming here for years to play the Sox, etc etc. So my joke was "The 2nd time ever" for the Red Sox to come to Chicago since they were here for the "first time ever" at Wrigley.:cool:

MarySwiss
07-21-2005, 03:36 PM

VC

That's how I took it when I read it this morning. I've always considered him to be (relatively) objective.

Taliesinrk
07-21-2005, 04:05 PM
It is a swipe at how the media covered the Yankees/Cubs and Red Sox/Cubs series at Wrigley. They acted like it was the first time those two teams visited the city of Chicago. It was especially evident during the Yankees series but also visible for the Boston one. Comparisons of the two fanbases, Chicago Pizza vs. New York Pizza, side by side comparisons of Fenway vs Wrigley, interviews with New York and Boston players asking them what they thought of our city even though they've been coming here for years to play the Sox, etc etc. So my joke was "The 2nd time ever" for the Red Sox to come to Chicago since they were here for the "first time ever" at Wrigley.:cool:

Ahh... thanks for the info..

SOXPHILE
07-21-2005, 04:11 PM
Well, he's sorta right. It doesn't quite have the same feeling of Red Sox-Cubs.
You won't:

1) Have your shoes smelling like pee when you get home, like you would after attending a game at Wrigley and having to go into what their excuse for restrooms is.

2) Have drunk frat boys in JD Cru shirts, backwards hats and pooka beads yelling "WOOOOOOOO !!! YEAH !!!!!!! CUBBIES !" in your ear.

3) Have all the "pretty people" with their polo shirts, penny loafers and cell phones wildly cheering every routine fly ball, and asking you what this infield fly rule thing is, what do you call the guy who plays in the field between second and third base, to the left of the third baseman, and hey, do you know when Sammy's up ?

Trav
07-21-2005, 04:23 PM
Well, he's sorta right. It doesn't quite have the same feeling of Red Sox-Cubs.
You won't:

1) Have your shoes smelling like pee when you get home, like you would after attending a game at Wrigley and having to go into what their excuse for restrooms is.

2) Have drunk frat boys in JD Cru shirts, backwards hats and pooka beads yelling "WOOOOOOOO !!! YEAH !!!!!!! CUBBIES !" in your ear.

3) Have all the "pretty people" with their polo shirts, penny loafers and cell phones wildly cheering every routine fly ball, and asking you what this infield fly rule thing is, what do you call the guy who plays in the field between second and third base, to the left of the third baseman, and hey, do you know when Sammy's up ?

Ha Ha

When I read the headline today my first thought was, '' It won't have a Wrigley feel? This is a good thing.''

LuvSox
07-21-2005, 04:39 PM

It won't have that Wrigley smell either

jackbrohamer
07-21-2005, 04:48 PM
What is with these lazy slob Chicago sports columnists like Rapoport and Downey, who can't express a thought longer than a couple of sentences. Beats working for a living I guess.

white sox bill
07-21-2005, 05:38 PM
Won't have that Wrigley feel?
Thank God!

MarySwiss
07-21-2005, 05:53 PM
What is with these lazy slob Chicago sports columnists like Rapoport and Downey, who can't express a thought longer than a couple of sentences. Beats working for a living I guess.

Well, Jack, that's their writing style. Short and succinct. And to my way of thinking, it beats the hell out of the long-winded-yet-clueless writing styles of most of their local--and national--media counterparts, who write endless paragraphs that, essentially, say very little. Which is easier to do, actually.

chisoxfan64
07-21-2005, 05:58 PM
Won`t have that Wrigley feel.

That`s the best thing I`ve heard in a long time. Why would anyone want to feel like their life is in danger from falling concrete? Or feel like some drunk could spew on you at any second.

shoota
07-21-2005, 09:22 PM
Well, Jack, that's their writing style. Short and succinct. And to my way of thinking, it beats the hell out of the long-winded-yet-clueless writing styles of most of their local--and national--media counterparts, who write endless paragraphs that, essentially, say very little. Which is easier to do, actually.

No, jackbrohamer is right. Writing a column with multiple topics in a listing, numbered format like Downey does, is lazy, unintelligent writing.

Taliesinrk
07-21-2005, 09:36 PM

July 21, 2005

Great Thoughts of Midwestern Man: Never mind: How exciting to have the Red Sox in town over the weekend. I'm looking for massive displays of enthusiasm, SRO crowds at the ballpark, wall-to-wall coverage on everything from ESPN and CNN to the Food Network and no end of excitement the entire time they're here.

Oh, right, they're playing the White Sox, aren't they?

http://www.suntimes.com/output/rapoport/cst-spt-rap21.html

What a moron! Hey Lip, Rappoport listens to your emails. Ask him why he makes moronic statements like this. The Sox are expecting sellouts (or near sellouts) all weekend long and the series is much anticipated amongst our fans. It isn't the fault of Sox fans that the media isn't soiling it's pants as they did when they came to play the Cubs. After all, this is only the "2nd time ever in the history of Chicago" that the Red Sox are visiting Chicago right??:mad:

No Wrigley Feel?!?!? Does that mean they're not going to be doing BBTN from the FUNdamentals deck???

Lip Man 1
07-22-2005, 12:03 AM
A few points:

Yes Ron IS that smart... degrees from Stanford and Columbia.

and YES it was a swipe at the media who drooled all over themselves when the Red Sox played the Cubs, exactly like they did last year when the Yankees played the Cubs.

Lip

pudge
07-22-2005, 03:23 AM
A few points:

Yes Ron IS that smart... degrees from Stanford and Columbia.

Lip

I've attended equivalent institutions, and that's no guarantee for being smart.

:)

Dan H
07-22-2005, 07:25 AM
I am not big Rappoport fan, but I took this as a swipe against the media for that nonesense when the Red Sox came to town. And as I look at the papers this morning, I see the Cubs are in third place. So the hype was much to do about nothing.

MarySwiss
07-22-2005, 10:22 AM
No, jackbrohamer is right. Writing a column with multiple topics in a listing, numbered format like Downey does, is lazy, unintelligent writing.

Well, that's a matter of opinion and obviously, we disagree. I usually enjoy reading Downey's column; I like the way he turns a phrase. But that doesn't mean everybody else does. Or has to.

Hangar18
07-22-2005, 11:37 AM
........ it beats the hell out of the long-winded-yet-clueless writing styles of most of their local--and national--media counterparts, who write endless paragraphs that, essentially, say very little. Which is easier to do, actually.

Ahhhhhhhh, you must be talking about ESPN's Mike Greenberg, the king of taking 1100 words to make his point.

Hangar18
07-22-2005, 11:39 AM
No Wrigley Feel?!?!? Does that mean they're not going to be doing BBTN from the FUNdamentals deck???

QUESTION: Where was the BBTN All-Star special televised from this year?
and for that matter ......last year also?