PDA

View Full Version : Manny versus Mark

bennyw41
07-21-2005, 01:24 PM
Did anyone see Manny's numbers against Buehrle? I hope they deal with that accordingly, otherwise, its going to be tough tonight.

According to Yahoo sports
538 AVG, 8 RBI, 3 HR (13 At Bats)

MIgrenade
07-21-2005, 01:28 PM
Here's hoping he bats with nobody on base.

fquaye149
07-21-2005, 01:28 PM
Did anyone see Manny's numbers against Buehrle? I hope they deal with that accordingly, otherwise, its going to be tough tonight.

According to Yahoo sports
538 AVG, 8 RBI, 3 HR (13 At Bats)

Well, with a sample size that large...

bennyw41
07-21-2005, 01:30 PM
Well, with a sample size that large...

Sample size or not, certain players just hit well against other players, if its in his head, you can bet Manny and Mark know about it. This isn't just any player either.

fquaye149
07-21-2005, 01:40 PM
Sample size or not, certain players just hit well against other players, if its in his head, you can bet Manny and Mark know about it. This isn't just any player either.

Manny is just a very good hitter. Or was in years past when he faced Mark.

Good pitchers don't let hitters get in their head. Mark is unlikely to be pitching scared to anyone. Perhaps Manny has it in his head that he can beat Mark. Good for him.

The point is 13 AB is jack ****. For a good hitter to have hit well in a 13 AB sample size is not surprising. If he had faced Mark 50 times with similar results then I would think it meant a damn thing. Here, no.

A_ROW33
07-21-2005, 01:45 PM
It will not matter if mark just pitches his game to the red sox lineup as a whole. Another guy who owns mark is ichiro and you know what happened in the game that Mark pitched against the mariners? Ichiro went 3/4 with a triple and a run but the rest of the order was hitless, and mark won in like 1 hour 40. Even though Manny is possibly the most dangerous hitter in baseball only a few times in a season does a hitter single handedly beat you, and I think Mark is too good to just let Manny take over.

RKMeibalane
07-21-2005, 01:46 PM
For what it's worth, Manny had to leave yesterday's BoSox game with a hamstring injury. Perhaps this could keep him out of tonight's game.

scottjanssens
07-21-2005, 01:47 PM
The point is 13 AB is jack ****. For a good hitter to have hit well in a 13 AB sample size is not surprising. If he had faced Mark 50 times with similar results then I would think it meant a damn thing. Here, no.

Statistically, you want a minimum sample size of about 30 to draw reasonably accurate conclusions about anything. Obviously the more the better, but 30 is generally accepted as the point where you seriously consider the point being made. Before then it's conjecture on probable trends.

13 isn't necessarily too small to see a trend. However, 7 for 13 doesn't disturb me. If he were 10+ for 13, then I'd see a trend.

scottjanssens
07-21-2005, 01:48 PM
For what it's worth, Manny had to leave yesterday's BoSox game with a hamstring injury. Perhaps this could keep him out of tonight's game.

I predict that if Manny doesn't play then we'll see a lot of articles and message board posts about how the Sox never face teams at full strength. Yes, I'm way out on the limb here.

bennyw41
07-21-2005, 01:50 PM
Statistically, you want a minimum sample size of about 30 to draw reasonably accurate conclusions about anything. Obviously the more the better, but 30 is generally accepted as the point where you seriously consider the point being made. Before then it's conjecture on probable trends.

13 isn't necessarily too small to see a trend. However, 7 for 13 doesn't disturb me. If he were 10+ for 13, then I'd see a trend.

I made the point, you can generally accept it or not, I just think he has his number.

scottjanssens
07-21-2005, 01:51 PM
I made the point, you can generally accept it or not, I just think he has his number.

Absolutely correct that you made a point and stated your interpretation. I was responding to someone else.

Update: Actually, I see how what I wrote could be misread. I apologize. If my tone sounded as if I casually dismissed your post, it wasn't intended as such. I merely meant to convey a strong trend hasn't emerged yet and it's a wait and see situation for that particular matchup.

fquaye149
07-21-2005, 01:59 PM

look - if you think a good hitter having 7 hits in 13 at bats means he has that pitcher's number, fine.

I really don't see how facing someone 13 times over the course of like 3 seasons is an accurate reflection of someone having someone's number.

Manny eats up White Sox pitching because he eats up all pitching, imo. Period.

DVsoxfan
07-21-2005, 02:19 PM
While that may be true, isnt manny having some serious problems vs LHP this year?

Jjav829
07-21-2005, 02:19 PM
Shocking news. Manny is a good hitter? Wow. :tongue:

Seriously, the guy is one of the best hitters of this generation not named Bonds. He's going to own quite a few good pitchers.

On the bright side, Manny has been really bad versus lefties this year. He's hitting just .206 with a .764 OPS against them. Very surprising for a guy who has historically mashed lefties. Let's hope this trend keeps going tonight.

Rocklive99
07-21-2005, 02:23 PM
.500 also means he made an out half the time :D:

I would also like to be one of the first to welcome the Boston Red Sox to their second ever visit to Chicago.

scottjanssens
07-21-2005, 02:26 PM
I would also like to be one of the first to welcome the Boston Red Sox to their second ever visit to Chicago.

Aw man, I was drinking when I read that. Now I've got Diet Coke in my nose.