PDA

View Full Version : Shingo...What are we gonna get???

Heffalump
07-21-2005, 12:16 PM
I've heard he's going to the D-backs for Alex Cintron to fill our utilityman hole.

Any other gossip?

PAPChiSox729
07-21-2005, 12:17 PM
I've heard he's going to the D-backs for Alex Cintron to fill our utilityman hole.

Any other gossip?

Cintron would be great. I'm not getting excited about it. It would be nice to get something for Shingo, though.

ilsox7
07-21-2005, 12:18 PM

Any other gossip?

Link? I just find it tough to believe we'd get a major leaguer for a guy designated for assignment, especially when the rumored deal has been a mid-level prospect.

Randar68
07-21-2005, 12:19 PM

Any other gossip?

I don't know, but I would do that deal in a heartbeat. That is easily the best we could hope to do, IMO...

Heffalump
07-21-2005, 12:31 PM
Link? I just find it tough to believe we'd get a major leaguer for a guy designated for assignment, especially when the rumored deal has been a mid-level prospect.

I'll see if I can find it again. I saw a blurb about it in a AZ paper a few days ago. I beleive it was just speculation by the reporter though....As Cintron is on the outs with the D-backs and they need relief help with Lyon going down.

RKMeibalane
07-21-2005, 12:32 PM
A jar of pickles.

ilsox7
07-21-2005, 12:32 PM
I don't know, but I would do that deal in a heartbeat. That is easily the best we could hope to do, IMO...

KW would deserve the "Jim Hendry We Fooled You Award" of the year if he pulls that off.

fquaye149
07-21-2005, 12:34 PM
A jar of pickles.

dill? or bread and butter?

b/c if it's bread and butter I say don't do it!

edit: I also want to know if they're sliced. Because if they're not sliced we're getting Billy Beaned.

Duck Snort
07-21-2005, 02:30 PM
If not Cintron, how about trying for Counsel even??

Has worked as an infield utility guy in the past - played good amounts of 3B and SS in the past . . . solid contributor to the '97 Marlins and '01 D-Backs Championship runs . . .

And although he not a switch hitter like Cintron, at least he's a lefty, which we could really use.

nodiggity59
07-21-2005, 02:31 PM
What about Shingo and Harris for Cintron?

That would be addition by addition and 2 addition by subtractions.

Mr. White Sox
07-21-2005, 02:34 PM
Who here thinks Shingo will actually dominate this year in the NL? Has MLB NL scouting really been paying attn to him? He could do good things for an NL team for this half of the year and maybe part of next.

Cintron? I don't know much about his glove, but trading a 37 year old pitcher we don't really need for a 27 year old 2B/SS that fills a main need would be huge. I doubt ARZ would actually do this though.

Heffalump
07-21-2005, 02:34 PM
I'll see if I can find it again. I saw a blurb about it in a AZ paper a few days ago. I beleive it was just speculation by the reporter though....As Cintron is on the outs with the D-backs and they need relief help with Lyon going down.

Crap, I can't find it. Feel free to give me the ChiSoxTony routine, but i swear I saw a blurb about it a few days ago. Anyway, I would think the Sox would have to throw in another fringe/mid-level prospect along with Shingo, but it would fill our utilityman problem and then we could dump Willie and bring up Gload.

daveeym
07-21-2005, 02:48 PM
A jar of pickles.OOOH if they're garlic pickles it's not so bad.

Tragg
07-21-2005, 07:31 PM
By all rights, based upon what others suggest that players with mere "bad years" are worth, we should get a fair price for a relief pitcher with Shingo's 2004 credentials.
However, haven't we put ourselves into a box? If we don't trade him in 10 days, don't we have to waive him? Then they can get him for free, and I don't know who gets first pick, but if it's the team with the worst record last year, Arizona can just wait us out.
Now, the key it seems to me is to get at least 2 teams interested in him - that competition would assure that we'll get something rather than simply waiving him.

slavko
07-21-2005, 07:41 PM
Who here thinks Shingo will actually dominate this year in the NL? Has MLB NL scouting really been paying attn to him? He could do good things for an NL team for this half of the year and maybe part of next.

Cintron? I don't know much about his glove, but trading a 37 year old pitcher we don't really need for a 27 year old 2B/SS that fills a main need would be huge. I doubt ARZ would actually do this though.

If he can't locate his pitches, which is his current problem, lack of scouting won't matter.

White Sox Randy
07-22-2005, 10:56 AM
lump of coal.

They aren't getting anything valuable. They should just let him pitch at Charlotte and hope it gets "it" back and can help them when the rosters expand.

Crede_For_Me
07-22-2005, 06:49 PM
I am wondering because teams should be all over him and I havent heard a lick about him in quite some time? I think we should package him up in a deal for burnett

ThatGuyOnTheL
07-22-2005, 09:57 PM

He might have a few good NL appearances, as a result of the "Holy ****, is this guy really throwing me a 20-mph changeup?" effect he occasionally has on hitters. However, the final result will be the same, and I don't think the honeymoon will last as long in the NL as it did in the AL.

StillMissOzzie
07-23-2005, 02:16 AM
I am wondering because teams should be all over him and I havent heard a lick about him in quite some time? I think we should package him up in a deal for burnett

I think that once the 10 days are up, another team can sign him, pay the MLB minimum with the Sox on the hook for the balance of his contract, and they don't have to give up anybody.

SMO
:gulp:

Optipessimism
07-24-2005, 02:24 AM
If Cintron is available I would be all over that, but I'm convinced AZ would want more than just Shingo for him. He seems like he could be one of those change of scenery guys that goes to another team and maximizes his potential. These are the types of moves Kenny seems to excel at.

TheOldRoman
07-24-2005, 02:39 AM
If Cintron is available I would be all over that, but I'm convinced AZ would want more than just Shingo for him. He seems like he could be one of those change of scenery guys that goes to another team and maximizes his potential. These are the types of moves Kenny seems to excel at.
I agree. Cintron would be huge. Arizona wanted Shingo, so hopefully KW can ship him and some prospects off for Cintron. Cintron switch hits, has a very good glove, and has played 2B, SS, and 3B. Besides giving us more versatility, he would aloow us to hear the words we have all longed to hear "2B Willie Harris was outrighted to Charlotte."