PDA

View Full Version : Backhanded compliment from CNN/SI.

scottjanssens
07-21-2005, 11:47 AM
On their main mlb page is the headline "Whoa! White Sox drop 2 of 3 to Tigers". The title of the article itself is "Sox Socked".

Now before anyone goes off on not getting respect, the first headline shows how they've come to expect the Sox to win. The second is sadly accurate.

Heffalump
07-21-2005, 11:51 AM
On their main mlb page is the headline "Whoa! White Sox drop 2 of 3 to Tigers". The title of the article itself is "Sox Socked".

Now before anyone goes off on not getting respect, the first headline shows how they've come to expect the Sox to win. The second is sadly accurate.

I don't get it. How does "Whoa! White Sox drop 2 of 3 to Tigers" show that they've come to expect the Sox to win?

scottjanssens
07-21-2005, 11:55 AM
I don't get it. How does "Whoa! White Sox drop 2 of 3 to Tigers" show that they've come to expect the Sox to win?

Because they think it's a notable event to report in such a way. Mainly it's the "Whoa". Also because they framed it that the Sox "dropped" the games. They could have written "Tigers take 2 of 3 from White Sox" which is much more dispassionate.

It clearly shows they're surprised by the result of the series. They could only be surprised if they expected the Sox to win. Personally, I'm not terribly surprised, disappointed yes, but not surprised. I think the Tigers and the AL Central are much better then they get credit for.

Heffalump
07-21-2005, 12:00 PM
Because they think it's a notable event to report in such a way. Mainly it's the "Whoa". Also because they framed it that the Sox "dropped" the games. They could have written "Tigers take 2 of 3 from White Sox" which is much more dispassionate.

It clearly shows they're surprised by the result of the series. They could only be surprised if they expected the Sox to win. Personally, I'm not terribly surprised, disappointed yes, but not surprised. I think the Tigers and the AL Central are much better then they get credit for.

Okay. Perhaps you are related to the post machine, White Sox Josh?

itsnotrequired
07-21-2005, 12:03 PM
Okay. Perhaps you are related to the post machine, White Sox Josh?

Nah. He has under 400 posts since June. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I'm sure WSJ had 3,480 in the same time frame!:redneck