PDA

View Full Version : Alex Gonzalez

Jjav829
07-21-2005, 10:31 AM
Apparently people with the Florida Marlins expect the Sox to sign Alex Gonzalez in the offseason because of Guillen likes Gonzalez.

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen remains a huge fan of Gonzalez, with whom he worked as Marlins third-base coach in 2002-03. That's one reason the Marlins have told people they expect Gonzalez to sign with the White Sox this winter.

Uhh, that's news to me. I see no reason why we would sign Gonzalez. We already have a light-hitting, good-defense shortstop on our roster in Juan Uribe. Considering the writer of this article thinks that Gonzalez's agents will use Jimmy Rollins' 5-year, $40 million deal as a guidepost, I see no reason why this makes sense.

And for those wondering, as I'm sure someone will ask this at some point, this is not the same Alex Gonzalez who used to play for the Scrubs.

Link (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/baseball/marlins/sfl-marpayroll21jul21,0,4866192.story?coll=sfla-sports-marlins)

ilsox7
07-21-2005, 10:36 AM
This guy obviously doesn't realize that these Sox don't spend $8MM on a guy with a good glove who hits .280 when we have a guy with a good glove who hits for a lower average, but also will make less than half that salary. No way this happens at that price tag. No way.

JermaineDye05
07-21-2005, 12:06 PM
isnt it a lil early to be talking about offseason signings, and why would the marlins break up that amazing double play combination

Chicago83
07-21-2005, 12:31 PM
I'd take him, he's a great glove and can hit with a better average than Uribe.

SoxSpeed22
07-21-2005, 12:36 PM
If Crede's back is gonna keep him out for a while, I say trade for Gonzalez and move Uribe to 3rd. An outfield prospect or a lefty and lower prospects should do it.
EDIT: I also forgot that Shingo could be used as well.

ShoelessJoeS
07-21-2005, 12:38 PM
isnt it a lil early to be talking about offseason signings, and why would the marlins break up that amazing double play combination
i agree JD, uribe and gooch have been solid all year. this year alone uribe has made some of the most improbable plays ive ever seen look routine. his bat may not be what it was last year but SS is a defense first position and uribe IMO is one of the most outstanding defensive SS in the league today. why the hell would we trade for gonzalez? GMAB

GAsoxfan
07-21-2005, 12:49 PM
Although Uribe has been absolutely atrocious this year at the plate with a .267 OBP(that's right, not BA, OBP), I don't think signing Gonzalez would be enough of an upgrade to warrant the contract he'll want. Gonzalez is hitting .281 this year, but it's a career high and he's only hit about .260 in one other year, 1999. Save the money to spend on pitching or a 1st baseman.

veeter
07-21-2005, 01:19 PM
Although Uribe has been absolutely atrocious this year at the plate with a .267 OBP(that's right, not BA, OBP), I don't think signing Gonzalez would be enough of an upgrade to warrant the contract he'll want. Gonzalez is hitting .281 this year, but it's a career high and he's only hit about .260 in one other year, 1999. Save the money to spend on pitching or a 1st baseman. If you want to spend money on a first baseman, how about Konerko. If the Sox don't sign him they are NOT going to spend it on another 1B. They have Gload and Rogowski. The money should go to pitching.

GAsoxfan
07-21-2005, 01:25 PM
If you want to spend money on a first baseman, how about Konerko. If the Sox don't sign him they are NOT going to spend it on another 1B. They have Gload and Rogowski. The money should go to pitching.

The 1st baseman could be Konerko, I never said otherwise. If they don't re-sign Konerko, how are you so sure they won't sign a FA, or trade for a 1B?

veeter
07-21-2005, 01:32 PM
The 1st baseman could be Konerko, I never said otherwise. If they don't re-sign Konerko, how are you so sure they won't sign a FA, or trade for a 1B? I guess I figure you've got a quality guy already. So if you're going to commit to anyone it should be him. The Sox are waiting on this one. I just can't see them letting PK go then getting another high priced guy. It would make no sense. Either go with Konerko or let him go and spend $ on more pitching. Then you plug in Gload and Rogowski.

hose
07-21-2005, 04:21 PM
I like Alex but his stick isn't much better than Juan's.

Gonzales obp is terrible and his power #'s have dropped off.....sounds like Uribe at a higher price.

Tragg
07-21-2005, 06:35 PM
If Crede's back is gonna keep him out for a while, I say trade for Gonzalez and move Uribe to 3rd. An outfield prospect or a lefty and lower prospects should do it.
EDIT: I also forgot that Shingo could be used as well.

I don't know about that. Uribe at 3rd is probably no improvement in the field over Crede and worse at the plate. At least Crede hits them out of the park when he hits one.