PDA

View Full Version : Derek Lowe

Brian26
07-21-2005, 10:07 AM
I wanted KW to get this guy in the offseason.

Is there any chance in hell he could swing this deal now? Lowe would be a perfect fit for this team. He's versatile, so he could start or come out of the pen. He owns the A's.

SOXintheBURGH
07-21-2005, 10:10 AM
Lowe eh?

Well, he has playoff experience. Would make a great back end starter and give us hands down the best rotation in baseball (which we already have).

samram
07-21-2005, 10:11 AM

Is there any chance in hell he could swing this deal now? Lowe would be a perfect fit for this team. He's versatile, so he could start or come out of the pen. He owns the A's.

The problem is if he's bad, the team has to pay him for the next three years.

Edit: As far his talent is concerned, I think he would be a good addition. He is risky though.

Baby Fisk
07-21-2005, 10:12 AM
He's a self-pitying headcase who would quickly fall out of favour with Ozzie.

hold2dibber
07-21-2005, 10:15 AM
Lowe would be a good pick-up in theory, but he's way overpaid and I wouldn't want the Sox to touch that contract.

Heffalump
07-21-2005, 10:28 AM

If we got him really cheap it would be a good move. But as others have said, he is a head case, and really, he is not that much better than Contreras. Like Jose, he tend to be an "all or nothing" guy - he is great one start and then gets bashed the next.

I still stand by my position of get a #1/#2 starter or get nothing.

LuvSox
07-21-2005, 10:50 AM
Isn't he a Boras client?

GAsoxfan
07-21-2005, 11:00 AM
Isn't he a Boras client?

Yep.

BigHurtEm35
07-21-2005, 11:02 AM
i met derek lowe at Grand Central, bar in chicago off lincoln and he was a huge tool. I hope he never comes here...i mean i dont think he likes me anyways since we ripped on him all night because he was out celebrating after AJ hit the walk off against LA:bandance:. But still I'd rather have either of the Cubans than him.

fquaye149
07-21-2005, 11:03 AM
Honestly...he's not that good of a pitcher besides his playoff performance last year.

Yes, we're looking forward to october, but not to the tune of a guy who's going to put up a +5.00 ERA here.

Or maybe we are. I dunno.

ChiSoxPatF
07-21-2005, 11:20 AM
We'd have to give up one of the Cubans since they are both signed for next year and acquiring Lowe would mean we'd have 6 starters (7 counting McCarthy).

He's a headcase and no improvement over either of the Cubans. I can't see us acquiring anyone that doesn't have #1 potential. But to be fair I know alot of people that are behind you in the DLowe rumors.

34 Inch Stick
07-21-2005, 01:01 PM
There were not many starting pitchers signed to big free agent contracts this winter that I thought were even a decent bargain. I feel the same way about most of them now. There are lots of average pitchers making too much money in this league. The Sox are not the type of team that can eat that type of contract for performance.