A. Cavatica
07-21-2005, 07:36 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/07/21/tough_town/

SOXintheBURGH
07-21-2005, 07:57 AM
Taking over for fenway already?

mccoydp
07-21-2005, 08:14 AM
To channel FarWest for a moment: I'm so ******* tired of a********* articles that I could throw up. The Globe is
:deadhorse:

Every article I read about the Sox is the same old ****. Enough already.

soxfan26
07-21-2005, 08:42 AM
The Boston Globe is a waste, who gives a **** what anyone in Boston says?

iamkoza
07-21-2005, 08:47 AM
could anyone actually read that entire blah fest of an article? I gave up on page 2.... lame crap from a crap paper

SSN721
07-21-2005, 09:13 AM
That was a big steaming pile of crap. At least the two pages I read before I needed to register. I swear that every newspaper must have a prewritten White Sox article that has been in a file since the mid 90s and they still havent updated it. Its the same crap that is in almost very column I have read about the SOx this year, just pathetic.

KnightSox
07-21-2005, 09:15 AM
I have had enough of the attendance and "bad neighborhood" crap.

EastCoastSoxFan
07-21-2005, 09:21 AM
I have had enough of the attendance and "bad neighborhood" crap.
Uh-oh.
The dreaded "a"-word has reared its ugly head again...

Hitmen77
07-21-2005, 09:44 AM
News from the Midwest must take a while to make it's way to Boston. The Sox have drawn more than 30,000 in 10 of the last 12 home games (the exception being 2 mid-week games against Tampa Bay). Maybe next week, the Globe can run an article about whether Shingo should be our closer.

RKMeibalane
07-21-2005, 09:46 AM
:threadsucks

No more articles from Boston papers, please.

Hangar18
07-21-2005, 09:47 AM
I dont know what some of you are/are not getting from that Article, but
its very good. The Headline was very Cubune-esque, but excellent article nonetheless. YES, weve talked attendance around here for quite some time, but this is a Boston paper, and the article does a good job putting to rest some of the more well known "myths" about the SOX and their fans.

Hilites are:
* Aaron Rowands comments, very well thought out and poignant
* Podsedniks comments, not only show him to be a student of the game, but
also to be very well thought out and intelligent in his comments
* Don Zimmer had excellent things to say about the SOX and Ozzie
* Podsednik CORRECTLY pointing out that Joe Jackson was never convicted of ANYTHING in the blacksox scandal, something neither paper in chicago will take the time to point out

Excellent excellent article ............ (just wish the title was different)
And for those who may still grumble about the subject of the piece, lets put it this way ...........NEITHER PAPER IN CHICAGO WOULDVE WRITTEN THIS

SoxFan78
07-21-2005, 10:04 AM
I dont know what some of you are/are not getting from that Article, but
its very good. The Headline was very Cubune-esque, but excellent article nonetheless. YES, weve talked attendance around here for quite some time, but this is a Boston paper, and the article does a good job putting to rest some of the more well known "myths" about the SOX and their fans.

Hilites are:
* Aaron Rowands comments, very well thought out and poignant
* Podsedniks comments, not only show him to be a student of the game, but
also to be very well thought out and intelligent in his comments
* Don Zimmer had excellent things to say about the SOX and Ozzie
* Podsednik CORRECTLY pointing out that Joe Jackson was never convicted of ANYTHING in the blacksox scandal, something neither paper in chicago will take the time to point out

Excellent excellent article ............ (just wish the title was different)
And for those who may still grumble about the subject of the piece, lets put it this way ...........NEITHER PAPER IN CHICAGO WOULDVE WRITTEN THIS

I agree, read the whole article. It brings up the misconceptions about Comiskey, but does do it justice.

The photo slide show they have though shows a lot of those empty attendence shots though, that does suck, but there is one pic in the slide show that I think our male members will like!

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-21-2005, 10:06 AM
He wrote it for the Baaaaaastan crowd....who don't have neighborhood/fan bases issues. However, the A word seems to be the favorite thing to focus on.

Good for MB/PK/Pods - "we don't care".....

SSN721
07-21-2005, 10:24 AM
I would still think that Bridgeport sucks and the Sox draw about 5000 a game on a good night with the pictures and the slant of the captions on them. I thk these alone completely dismiss anything good written in the article. Its still the same old crap over and over again. *****dence, bad neighborhood, thug fans, etc. It is total crap. It is still a backhanded insult to me.

FielderJones
07-21-2005, 10:35 AM
The photo slide show they have though shows a lot of those empty attendence shots though, that does suck, but there is one pic in the slide show that I think our male members will like!

If you like silicone.

Hangar18
07-21-2005, 10:39 AM
I agree, read the whole article. It brings up the misconceptions about Comiskey, but does do it justice.

Your right about the pictures ......... I didnt look at those.....that part is BS.
Why dont they show the pics from the Tiger series? Fullhouse. I dontlike
the shot from the RR Tracks with the xway ........Very Cubune/Kiley-esque

Sxy Mofo
07-21-2005, 10:45 AM
You know, it's the same old crap, but I actually didn't mind that article too much. Probably because of the quotes from all the players. I didn't read the last two pages, because i would have to sign up, someone want to post them here?

FielderJones
07-21-2005, 10:55 AM
You know, it's the same old crap, but I actually didn't mind that article too much. Probably because of the quotes from all the players. I didn't read the last two pages, because i would have to sign up, someone want to post them here?

You never have to sign up for anything. Maybe I should ask the mods to stick a thread about this.

These two sites are your friends:

http://www.mailinator.com/
http://www.bugmenot.com/

For most sites, someone has already signed up as mailinator. If the login id is an email address, mailinator@mailinator.com with password mailinator will work many times. If the login id is a single word, mailinator with password mailinator will often work.

If the generic mailinator login id doesn't work, bugmenot will probably have an ID ready to go. Don't miss out on content just because these sites want to spam you. Let them spam a dummy email account instead!

Palehose13
07-21-2005, 10:56 AM
Not a bad read, but *** was up with the photo gallery?

Anyone else notice the pic showing the the Sox can't even fill the beast seats in the house is OLD (no scout seats)?

SOXintheBURGH
07-21-2005, 10:57 AM
Why is this still in the Clubhouse? Just another article with some positives and some negatives.

Baby Fisk
07-21-2005, 10:59 AM
But what are people in Seattle saying about the Sox?

Iwritecode
07-21-2005, 11:07 AM
Not a bad read, but *** was up with the photo gallery?

Anyone else notice the pic showing the the Sox can't even fill the beast seats in the house is OLD (no scout seats)?

It can't be that old. I saw some green seats in there...

MUScholar21
07-21-2005, 11:14 AM
I'm surprised so many people dislike this. I almost started a thread on this but was beaten to it; I thought more people would like the perspective.

It told our entire story, including the "a" word, but didn't dwell on any one thing in particular. I thought it was a pretty good article for people who had never been here and would have no idea about the town.

MUScholar21
07-21-2005, 11:15 AM
It can't be that old. I saw some green seats in there...

The scouts were in there, it showed them in the far left side. It was more centered on the seats behind the on-deck circle.

Palehose13
07-21-2005, 11:19 AM
The scouts were in there, it showed them in the far left side. It was more centered on the seats behind the on-deck circle.

My bad. Still didn't like the photo gallery, though.

Iwritecode
07-21-2005, 11:21 AM
You never have to sign up for anything. Maybe I should ask the mods to stick a thread about this.

For most sites, someone has already signed up as mailinator. If the login id is an email address, mailinator@mailinator.com with password mailinator will work many times. If the login id is a single word, mailinator with password mailinator will often work.

If the generic mailinator login id doesn't work, bugmenot will probably have an ID ready to go. Don't miss out on content just because these sites want to spam you. Let them spam a dummy email account instead!

Or your could always set up a free Yahoo account that is specifically for stuff like this. Saves a little bit of time having to go to another website to get a password that may or may not work...

FYI, I used the following from bugmenot:
boston123@globe.com
boston321

Iwritecode
07-21-2005, 11:26 AM
I'm surprised so many people dislike this. I almost started a thread on this but was beaten to it; I thought more people would like the perspective.

It told our entire story, including the "a" word, but didn't dwell on any one thing in particular. I thought it was a pretty good article for people who had never been here and would have no idea about the town.

People who have never been here that read that article are going to think that nothing has changed and nothing will ever change on the southside. I cringed when I saw the quote from Ozzie: "This is a Cubs town and always will be a Cubs town."

Sure the "a" word was mentioned but they could've at least said that it's on a record pace this year. They could've mentioned that people are finally starting to take notice of this team.

The perspective of the team and the stadium is slowly but surely starting to change. Focusing on all the **** that happened in the past and showing the worst possible pictures of the crowds that they could dig up sure isn't going to help.

thecell
07-21-2005, 11:49 AM
...but there is one pic in the slide show that I think our male members will like!

This one?

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2005/07/21/1121947305_5587.jpg

Mark
07-21-2005, 11:50 AM
But the Chicago Tribune, which owns the Cubs, insists it is fair with its coverage of the White Sox.

''We try to play it right down the middle," said Dan McGrath, associate managing sports editor. ''This year they've actually led the section more than the Cubs have. In nine years not once has someone in the [Tribune] tower interfered. They outdraw the White Sox almost 2 to 1 and their TV ratings are double." :rolleyes:

Sxy Mofo
07-21-2005, 12:04 PM

Interesting. I actually deleted my cookies and was able to read the rest of the article, but i will try this next time.

Vernam
07-21-2005, 03:08 PM
But the Chicago Tribune, which owns the Cubs, insists it is fair with its coverage of the White Sox.

''We try to play it right down the middle," said Dan McGrath, associate managing sports editor. ''This year they've actually led the section more than the Cubs have. In nine years not once has someone in the [Tribune] tower interfered. They outdraw the White Sox almost 2 to 1 and their TV ratings are double." :rolleyes:
Classic. No correlation whatsoever between the attendance/ratings and the wall-to-wall coverage by Tribune Company properties, right? My loathing for those guys knows no bounds.

After the Boston Globe story, I might not read any more national coverage of the Sox this season. I had naively hoped the non-Chicago media would move beyond the lazy coverage this Globe article typifies. In other walks of life -- meaning non-sports contexts -- it is completely unacceptable in the mainstream media to blatantly put down people because of their economic and social standing. Sure it happens, but it's usually way more subtle than the snide swipes at residents of Bridgeport and east of the Dan Ryan. The Tribune has set the tone for such coverage over many years, and the Globe story is stunning in how it parrots every stereotype, beginning with the "A" word, continuing to "thuggish behavior," "it's a Cub town," etc. I guarantee a few people, especially Melton, weren't too happy with how their quotes were used.

The only part I liked was where Ozzie p*ssed on the lame-o curse mongers at Wrigley and Fenway. Speaking for myself this season, I won't be looking to the mainstream media for any satisfying coverage about the Sox. Should something somehow sneak through, then great. But if you expect any of them to actually "get it," you're in for nothing but disappointment. And that's very cool, in its own way.

VC