PDA

View Full Version : Barry Rozner's Daily Herald article makes a good point.

Trav
07-21-2005, 04:55 AM
http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/rozner.asp?id=75708

The advent of the wild card has rewarded mediocrity and been fabulous for fans of the also-rans. You canít argue with that.

It has also made the July 31 trade deadline a nightmare for the general managers of contending teams, because a dozen clubs that otherwise would be sellers arenít ready to cash out when they still see the postseason as a possibility. Thatís why MLB ought to move the trade deadline two weeks ó or maybe even more.

He goes on to talk about how dominate the SOX would be if we had Billy Wagner.

Malgar 12
07-21-2005, 07:18 AM
Its also almost guaranteed that the Yankees make the post-season every year.

balke
07-21-2005, 07:52 AM
Wagner would make us VERY VERY solid. Top to bottom, if you didn't give up Marte in the deal, we'd be insane, the bullpen could pitch the majority of game 4 in any series. If you had to give up Marte for him, that's still an upgrade, and a guy who can shut down the opposition for 2-3 full innings.

chaerulez
07-21-2005, 09:57 AM
Wagner would make us VERY VERY solid. Top to bottom, if you didn't give up Marte in the deal, we'd be insane, the bullpen could pitch the majority of game 4 in any series. If you had to give up Marte for him, that's still an upgrade, and a guy who can shut down the opposition for 2-3 full innings.

Yes I agree getting Wagner would put us over the top and the undisputed #1 contender for the WS (even though we are #1 right now without Wagner, getting him will shut up all the critics). I'd say Wagner is more important than getting another starter because I'm not impressed with the starter's market. Burnett and Schmidt are both injury prone. I'd like to see if the Dodgers are interested in giving up Penny (yes he has been injured this season, but he doesn't have a history like the other two).

Madvora
07-21-2005, 10:25 AM
The problem is that you have to make Philadelphia believe they are out of it first.
Right now they are 49-46, but only 5 games out of first behind the Braves and Nationals. Also, they're in second place for the wild card hunt by 4.5 games.

That sucks because they would be asking for a major leaguer if they were going to make a trade.

Dodgers, Padres, Astros and Rockies coming up for them. Let's hope they get their asses kicked.

Flight #24
07-21-2005, 11:05 AM
The problem is that you have to make Philadelphia believe they are out of it first.
Right now they are 49-46, but only 5 games out of first behind the Braves and Nationals. Also, they're in second place for the wild card hunt by 4.5 games.

That sucks because they would be asking for a major leaguer if they were going to make a trade.

Dodgers, Padres, Astros and Rockies coming up for them. Let's hope they get their asses kicked.

The Nats recent comments from livan only make the Phils position stronger and therefore less likely to deal Wagner.:whiner:

scottjanssens
07-21-2005, 11:19 AM
"The advent of the wild card has rewarded mediocrity and been fabulous for fans of the also-rans."

I love the wildcard. It prevents travesties like what happend to the Sox in '90 from happening. 2nd best record in the AL (only a game off the 2nd best record in the league) and didn't make the playoffs.

BearSox
07-21-2005, 11:30 AM
I agree that the trade deadline should be moved but I don't agree that the wild card rewards mediocrity with the recent trend of wild card teams winning the world series and all.

fquaye149
07-21-2005, 11:30 AM
"The advent of the wild card has rewarded mediocrity and been fabulous for fans of the also-rans."

I love the wildcard. It prevents travesties like what happend to the Sox in '90 from happening. 2nd best record in the AL (only a game off the 2nd best record in the league) and didn't make the playoffs.

Not to mention if it's such a reward for mediocrity allowing "Also-rans to enter," why have the last 3 (4?) WS winners come from the WC?

Trav
07-21-2005, 12:58 PM
Baseball has a long season, evening out the highs and the lows of the season. The best team usually wins the division because of it. The wildcard in football makes sense because the seson is so short that bad calls, lucky or unlucky plays and all the other intangables don't have time to even out making sure the best team has a chance to win. I think the wild card is a good thing in football but baseball is a different animal.

scottjanssens
07-21-2005, 01:17 PM
Baseball has a long season, evening out the highs and the lows of the season. The best team usually wins the division because of it. The wildcard in football makes sense because the seson is so short that bad calls, lucky or unlucky plays and all the other intangables don't have time to even out making sure the best team has a chance to win. I think the wild card is a good thing in football but baseball is a different animal.

What if the team with the 2nd best record in baseball is in the same division as the team with the best record in baseball? Do you think the World Series winners who were wildcards are tainted?

Madvora
07-21-2005, 02:10 PM
The Nats recent comments from livan only make the Phils position stronger and therefore less likely to deal Wagner.:whiner:
That could be a good thing if you look at it as nobody else is going to get him either.
Currently we're the best team. If nobody moves around, we'll continue to be.
People will move though, so let's hope we can make ourselves even stronger because 5 and 7 game series are different than a 162 game season.

Trav
07-21-2005, 03:13 PM
What if the team with the 2nd best record in baseball is in the same division as the team with the best record in baseball? Do you think the World Series winners who were wildcards are tainted?

I don't know if tainted it the right word. I certainly don't think that it deserves an asterisks or anything like that. I do feel that playoff baseball has been diluted by Bud Selig and the rest of the powers that be. Sure, the wild card winners who won the world series got hot at the right time but they were not the best teams, I don't think. Like I said, baseball is to be played over a long period of time to determine the best teams; not just who is hot at the right time. Naturally even the division winners need to get hot at the right time to win it all but it just seems that baseball has sunk to the level of the NFL and rest of the big sports to make more money even if it hurts the integrity of the game. Also see: Steroids, lowering the mound, DH rule, expansion, etc...