PDA

View Full Version : We need Randa, or a solid backup!

twinsuck1
07-21-2005, 12:24 AM
Why is KW waiting around? Credes back is bad, Pablo Is no way an evryday third baseman so lets get Randa before he is gone! Minnesota is now looking into him too. His numbers are really good this year too. He is batting .284 with an OBP of .353. Even if we do not pick him up we need a solid back up for Crede, do you agree?

Banix12
07-21-2005, 12:32 AM
Why is KW waiting around? Credes back is bad, Pablo Is no way an evryday third baseman so lets get Randa before he is gone! Minnesota is now looking into him too. His numbers are really good this year too. He is batting .284 with an OBP of .353. Even if we do not pick him up we need a solid back up for Crede, do you agree?

I would actually agree here. Getting Randa to take some pressure of Crede allowing him to take a couple days off during the week seems like a good idea. Pablo is barely even a backup 3rd baseman, much less an everyday. I like Pablo in the middle infield and corner OF but he really seems to struggle at the hot corner. He can take Willie's spot on the roster.

RowandKicksAss07
07-21-2005, 12:39 AM
Randa is no question an upgrade offensively over Crede, and it wouldn't be like Crede wouldn't be able to play anymore. He and Randa would just split time up until the postseason and then you go with whoever is hotter...KW can't wait to make this move...

TomBradley72
07-21-2005, 01:03 AM
Randa could also spell Paulie at first when he needs a day off....

fquaye149
07-21-2005, 01:28 AM
you wouldn't like what we'd have to give up to get randa. believe me. it would take bmac, cotts, marte or gonzalez. That's not pretty folks.

You think they're just going to give us Randa with almost every contending team bidding on him (reportedly Sabathia being offered [a report i don't quite believe])

The point is, folks, we'd be selling the farm (or the pen) for joe mother****ing randa. Do you honestly want that?

prove me wrong kenny

Mr. White Sox
07-21-2005, 01:30 AM
why isn't anyone talking about Julio Lugo? He can play 2nd and SS to spell Iguchi and Uribe, thus letting Ozuna be the primary backup 3B. He's a good basestealer and a good #2 hitter, and there would be no more need for willie after this. I just don't know what TB wants for him.

Tragg
07-21-2005, 01:54 AM
why isn't anyone talking about Julio Lugo? He can play 2nd and SS to spell Iguchi and Uribe, thus letting Ozuna be the primary backup 3B. He's a good basestealer and a good #2 hitter, and there would be no more need for willie after this. I just don't know what TB wants for him.

Because Lugo can't catch a baseball, that is why.

Randa is worth nowhere near what the Reds think he's worth. A top prospect for him is an outrage.

beckett21
07-21-2005, 01:57 AM
Randa is worth nowhere near what the Reds think he's worth. Anything close to a top prospect for him is an outrage.

Hey Tragg,

Looks like you and I actually agree on something! :o:

:)

Madvora
07-21-2005, 08:46 AM
Why is KW waiting around?
Every deal hinges on every other deal out there. There might be somebody that Cincinnati wants that might be gone if we use them to trade for a starter or a reliever. Another thing is that maybe KW would obtain someone in a trade that would be sent to Cincinnati through us.
The Reds are asking a lot for Randa because they've already turned down Sabathia from Cleveland.

Heffalump
07-21-2005, 10:55 AM

So now that you have pointed out this huge hole in our team, what do you think we should trade for Joe "Babe Ruth" Randa?

I don't get it. Crede is usually our 8th place hitter. He comes up with some big hits and plays great defense. What more do you want from this spot in the lieup? I agree that Randa is an upgrade, but is that really an area that this team DESPERATELY needs right now?

In my opinion, we need a solid backup utilityman for 3B, SS, 2B (we would have to give up too much to have Randa for this role, plus I don't think he can play more than 3B). Then we could dump Willie and bring up Gload. This would give us a backup for Konerko and a solid lefty bat off the bench.

the only MAJOR trade that I think we need is for a proven, clutch starter (read: Schmidt, not Burnett). KW should not give up any pieces of our success to date (marte, contreras, etc.) or studs in the farm system (McCarthy, Anderson) for anything else. Unlike other GMs, I think he is smart enough to avoid making trades just to make a trade.

REMEMBER, pitching and defense is what brought us to where we are today. Let's not get all spazzed out about more hitting, hitting, hitting, like in prior years.

GAsoxfan
07-21-2005, 10:55 AM
you wouldn't like what we'd have to give up to get randa. believe me. it would take bmac, cotts, marte or gonzalez. That's not pretty folks.

You think they're just going to give us Randa with almost every contending team bidding on him (reportedly Sabathia being offered [a report i don't quite believe])

The point is, folks, we'd be selling the farm (or the pen) for joe mother****ing randa. Do you honestly want that?

prove me wrong kenny

You would have thought the Reds had won back to back World Series based on how much they're asking for their players.

GAsoxfan
07-21-2005, 10:58 AM
REMEMBER, pitching and defense is what brought us to where we are today. Let's not get all spazzed out about more hitting, hitting, hitting, like in prior years.

That's true that pitching and defense have gotten the Sox this far, but the Sox are 13th in the AL in BA and 11th in OBP. If Konerko and Frank come around those number could improve, but I think the Sox are going to struggle to score runs in the playoffs with this current lineup.

Heffalump
07-21-2005, 11:13 AM
That's true that pitching and defense have gotten the Sox this far, but the Sox are 12th in the AL in BA and OBP. If Konerko and Frank come around that number could improve, but I think the Sox are going to struggle to score runs in the playoffs with this current lineup.

Yes, they got to be the best team in baseball while being 12th in BA and OBP. They succeed through pitching, defense, and manufacturing runs. Why would this formula instantly change in the playoffs?

Can you please expand on WHY you think the Sox are going to struggle scoring runs in the playoffs? And why would Joe Randa have a large impact on changing this?

Pitching is the key in the playoffs. If the Sox offense goes dead, like in 2000, adding a guy like Randa is not going to change anything.

hold2dibber
07-21-2005, 11:18 AM
The Sox need a versatile back-up infielder who can hit left handed. That's not Randa, IMHO. Macowiak (sp?) would make more sense (and probably cost less).

Heffalump
07-21-2005, 11:21 AM
The Sox need a versatile back-up infielder who can hit left handed. That's not Randa, IMHO. Macowiak (sp?) would make more sense (and probably cost less).

I agree. That is something they should be able to pick up on the cheap. I've heard rumors of Shingo for Alex Cintron.

fquaye149
07-21-2005, 11:47 AM
You would have thought the Reds had won back to back World Series based on how much they're asking for their players.

Well they haven't and they're asking too much. However that doesn't change the fact that this is what Randa costs. They obviously believe he's worth an arm and a leg, and the supposed bidding war over him seems to back up their belief.

I don't buy it, and that's why I wouldn't give up any starter on our roster or a prospect for Randa

maurice
07-21-2005, 12:08 PM
We don't know what Randa costs. We won't find out until a trade is completed. Media reports and speculation are usually far off the mark. Even if they're accurate, what the Reds are asking and what they'll ultimately receive are likely very different.

The "Randa for Sabathia" report is ridiculous. Nobody would pay anywhere near that much for Randa straight up.

What did they get from the Yankees for Boone a few years back?

fquaye149
07-21-2005, 12:21 PM
We don't know what Randa costs. We won't find out until a trade is completed. Media reports and speculation are usually far off the mark. Even if they're accurate, what the Reds are asking and what they'll ultimately receive are likely very different.

The "Randa for Sabathia" report is ridiculous. Nobody would pay anywhere near that much for Randa straight up.

What did they get from the Yankees for Boone a few years back?

Brandon(sp?) Claussen, one of their top pitching prospects.

Like I said, I doubt the Sabathia rumor is true, and we will not likely know the price until it's paid.

HOWEVER - we do know a lot of teams want Randa...and we can GUESS that that means the price is a lot higher than it would be otherwise...probably higher than it SHOULD be otherwise.

ChiSoxPatF
07-21-2005, 12:23 PM
I agree. That is something they should be able to pick up on the cheap. I've heard rumors of Shingo for Alex Cintron.

Where did you hear this? Its interesting....

hawkjt
07-21-2005, 12:25 PM
Randa is hitting .245 with 3 rbis and 0 homers in July. He is an older player. Crede is hitting better with more ribis and homers in july and is younger. The trend on Randa is down. He might be getting pitched tougher now that he is getting around the league for the second time. They have figured him out.

Forget Randa- Go joe.

A_ROW33
07-21-2005, 02:00 PM
I've heard rumors of Shingo for Alex Cintron.

That would be really nice.
If Shingo for Cintron doesn't work then I say just wait and see exactly how creede's back is. This is not a move that you need to make before the deadline there are probably guys who you can get who would pass through waivers, if Joe's back is really a big problem, who are not significantly worse than Randa.