PDA

View Full Version : White Sox- Cardinals Comparison --BBTN

JermaineDye05
07-20-2005, 09:20 PM
well on BBTN they're gonna compare the sox and cardinals and say who they like better, I wonder who that could be

BridgePortNative
07-20-2005, 09:26 PM
I have a feeling the Card are gonna get picked because of that wicked offense,BAH!

balke
07-20-2005, 09:27 PM
I'd take the Cubs over both, I mean they have the best players on the planet and are a world class organization. Besides, this is their year. Sorry Cards and Sox, it will still be a Cubs/Twinks World Series.

Or something like that.

JermaineDye05
07-20-2005, 09:36 PM
big surprise

Cowhead418
07-20-2005, 09:41 PM
Harold Reynolds just said our defense was our "Achilles Heel".:rolleyes: Wow. Just wow.

TornLabrum
07-20-2005, 09:48 PM
Harold Reynolds just said our defense was our "Achilles Heel".:rolleyes: Wow. Just wow.

Which demands that the question be asked: "Why the **** does anybody still watch that mess?"

balke
07-20-2005, 09:50 PM
By their rules, there's not much they can say. Reynolds saying "White Sox pitching because they do it against the AL" was pretty lame. Its a tough argument when the Cards have Carpenter, Morris, and Mulder matched against Buehrle Garland and Garcia. Cards have a lot of Gold Gloves on their team, but some are gold gloves with knee problems or are old.

Its an honor to be compared to the Cards. They were the best team in baseball last season. I never thought we'd be mentioned in the same breathe before the season started, I was just thinking we'd probably get past the first round.

FWIW they didn't compare bullpens. And earlier they talked about Mike Lowell like he was a future hall of famer. BBTN is full of clowns.

PAPChiSox729
07-20-2005, 10:15 PM
Which demands that the question be asked: "Why the **** does anybody still watch that mess?"

Took the words right out of my mouth.

:thumbsup:

LuvSox
07-21-2005, 12:08 AM
What did Kruk have to say? I'm on the edge of my seat. He's such a wise man, maybe he can mentor me.

SOXfnNlansing
07-21-2005, 12:39 AM
*yawn*:(:

basilesox
07-21-2005, 01:28 AM
Sorry I didn't see a thread on this earlier. Did anybody see BBTN tonight? I missed it, but I know they were gonna have their "so-called" experts breakdown the Sox and the Cards and pick who would win in a WS matchup between the two.

Just curious about how that went...

oeo
07-21-2005, 01:34 AM
I only saw the end, but Kruk said Guillen was the better manager, while Harold differed saying Larussa. And when it came to who had the best chance of a WS, Kruk said the Cards because they're a better all-around team while Harold said the Cards because they have it a lot easier in the playoffs than the Sox do.

basilesox
07-21-2005, 01:42 AM
I only saw the end, but Kruk said Guillen was the better manager, while Harold differed saying Larussa. And when it came to who had the best chance of a WS, Kruk said the Cards because they're a better all-around team while Harold said the Cards because they have it a lot easier in the playoffs than the Sox do.

Typical, I figured those idiots would pick the Cards.......I mean they performed so stellar in the WS last year. If we can trade for Burnett or Schmidt, our SP will be too tough. We better hope Rolen stays cold though, they will be tought to beat if Rolen, Pujols, and Edmonds are running on all cylinders!!

oeo
07-21-2005, 01:46 AM
Typical, I figured those idiots would pick the Cards.......I mean they performed so stellar in the WS last year. If we can trade for Burnett or Schmidt, our SP will be too tough. We better hope Rolen stays cold though, they will be tought to beat if Rolen, Pujols, and Edmonds are running on all cylinders!!

Well at least Harold had good reasoning behind it. The Cards are a great team all around, but he did point out that the Sox will have to face either Anaheim, the Yanks, or the Red Sox, while the Cards had it easier with the NL being a weaker league.

chitownhawkfan
07-21-2005, 02:04 AM
there is already one of these threads, here is the link http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54583&highlight=bbtn
(http:///www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54583&highlight=bbtn)

(http:///www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54583&highlight=bbtn)

ilsox7
07-21-2005, 02:15 AM
Cannot fault anyone for picking the Cards. They got to the Series last year and improved their team. Nothing is a given in the playoffs, but they should basically walk to the NL Pennant. I think about the only thing that could stop them is facign Willis for 3 games and Beckett for 2 games.

Trav
07-21-2005, 03:30 AM
Cannot fault anyone for picking the Cards. They got to the Series last year and improved their team. Nothing is a given in the playoffs, but they should basically walk to the NL Pennant. I think about the only thing that could stop them is facign Willis for 3 games and Beckett for 2 games.

Of course the Cards are a better team. I can't believe anyone thinks differently. They have basically the same team as last year only with better pitching. A SOX-Cards matchup would be a great series. I hope that they get to decide who the better team is on the field.

Burnett's stats are worse than Kerry Wood's so I hope that basilesox was kidding about trading for him. He hasn't even pitched in as many games as Wood and they have been in the league for the same amount of time. Our SP is our strong suite and I don't understand why anyone would want to change that.

Chicago83
07-21-2005, 03:37 AM

We better not worry about the Cards as they are in the NL and we haven't even made it to the playoffs yet.

Don't get cocky.

CubKilla
07-21-2005, 10:01 AM
Of course the Cards are a better team. I can't believe anyone thinks differently.

Welcome to WSI..... where every article, news segment, or series breakdown that isn't 100% devoted and completely positive about the White Sox, is a piece of crap.

While the White Sox have proven, thus far, to be a force against AL Central teams, they haven't proven jack $#!* when it comes to post-season baseball.

samram
07-21-2005, 10:06 AM

Agreed. I have no problem with people saying the Cards have a better shot at making the WS when they play in an awful NL. IMO, the Braves and Astros are the only teams with even a remote shot at beating them, and the Astros play against the Cards the way the Sox play against the A's. I see what you're saying about the Marlins, but I think they're about to give up.

maurice
07-21-2005, 10:17 AM
These guys' opinions mean nothing. On the radio this morning, Reynolds said the Sox biggest need was to add a defensive player who can come in and play SS in late innings. This indicates that he's never seen a single Sox game (or stat sheet) the entire season.

VenturaFan23
07-21-2005, 10:31 AM

Well we can all say that Reynold's and the rest of the BBTN dopes "Achilles Heel" is their baseball knowledge outside Boston and New York.

Sxy Mofo
07-21-2005, 10:47 AM

You know, as big a sox fan as i am, I'd feel safer putting money on the cards than the sox. Just because of the weaker road for St. Louis, plus the fact that they were in the WS last year and their team hasn't changed much... the only thing that changed was that the rest of the NL got weaker.

ChiSoxPatF
07-21-2005, 10:48 AM
I hate to be a killjoy, but does it really matter what BBTN says about a hypothetical Sox/Cards World Series?

First off, it doesn't mean jack.

Second off, its an honor be be compared to that club and mentioned as possible World Series candidates.

Third, if the day ever comes that the Sox/Cards are actually in the World Series we will all be in such ecstacy that it won't matter if Ozzie himself predicts the Cards to win it all.

Finally, they're idiots - they still think that the Yankees are the odds on favorites to win the AL despite their glaring holes everywhere.

fquaye149
07-21-2005, 10:50 AM
Welcome to WSI..... where every article, news segment, or series breakdown that isn't 100% devoted and completely positive about the White Sox, is a piece of crap.

While the White Sox have proven, thus far, to be a force against AL Central teams, they haven't proven jack $#!* when it comes to post-season baseball.

oh ***** - I hardly see any articles that are 100% devoted and positive about the Sox, therefore you would think every article written this year about the Sox would be lambasted here.

Not the case.

The fact is, we lambast people for ignorance...for instance HR saying that defense is our achilles heel.

exqueeze me? baking powder?

I agree some are too sensitive about the media (ahem*hangar*ahem)...but when we blast baseball tonight we are usually just taking our due shots.

Hangar18
07-21-2005, 11:38 AM
well on BBTN they're gonna compare the sox and cardinals and say who they like better, I wonder who that could be

".......and despite both the SOX and Cardinals having the best records,
fans would still want to see a Cubs & Yankees world series"

Hangar18
07-21-2005, 11:40 AM
I agree some are too sensitive about the media (ahem*hangar*ahem)...but when we blast baseball tonight we are usually just taking our due shots.

I dont have a problem with the MEDIA ripping the SOX if its Due and Just,
but what I tend to rip on is the blatant LIES, Twisting of Truths, and otherwise plain IGNORING of the SOX, what theyve accomplished, and ripping their Fans to boot.

fquaye149
07-21-2005, 11:47 AM
I dont have a problem with the MEDIA ripping the SOX if its Due and Just,
but what I tend to rip on is the blatant LIES, Twisting of Truths, and otherwise plain IGNORING of the SOX, what theyve accomplished, and ripping their Fans to boot.

I understand...but some of you charges against the Tribune for "tampering" are a little over the top. It strikes me as a little overly sensitive.

I HAVE noticed you've dropped the media watch, though.

soxfan123
07-21-2005, 12:10 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Hangar18
07-21-2005, 12:20 PM
I understand...but some of you charges against the Tribune for "tampering" are a little over the top. It strikes me as a little overly sensitive.

I HAVE noticed you've dropped the media watch, though.

The Cubunes Tampering is real and out there ..... note how its the WHITESOX
who are seeking players in a trade .... do you see the Cubune or Cub-Times out there asking players what they think of Chicago Pizza? Or have they asked Billy Wagner what they think of Ozzie Guillen? and who has the best beer? on the sox behalf? NOPE Cub GM wanna-be Mike Kiley
is working very hard to secure the cubs some more help ...........

Ive thought about starting up the Media Watch again for the "playoff push"
just to see down the stretch how were covered. I know its nowhere near
the 4X the coverage the cubs were getting last year at this time ... then again
I need to publish it to prove it. If someone out there is willing to help
out on weekends (saturday and Sunday) let me know ........

SoxSpeed22
07-21-2005, 12:34 PM
If its getting to the World Series, of course the Cards are gonna make it because everyone else in the NL sucks. IMO, San Diego is their biggest challenge. Meanwhile, our biggest challenges consists of Minnesota (whoever's the WC), Boston, LA and our own miserable history of post-season failure. Even though it's impossible to defend their analysis, they're taking the logical choice. Also, IMO, all four of the AL teams I mentioned could whoop St. Louis in the Series. The MV3 from 2004 went 6-45 (.133) with Pujols gettin' 5 of those hits against Boston.

cubhater
07-21-2005, 12:48 PM
Too bad Gammons wasn't there to offer his expert opinion.

On the other hand, ESPN picking the Cards to win the it all just about guarantees the Sox a World Series title.:bandance:

RallyBowl
07-21-2005, 06:32 PM
anyone know when the last time the teams with the best reg season records met in the series, if ever? or if the sox and cards will have the best records at the end of the reg season? just wondering.

faneidde
07-21-2005, 06:42 PM

Thank you for saying what I have been think a lot when reading through this things. Everyone has an opinion. Some people aren't of the opinion that the Sox are the best team in baseball. That does not make them an idiot or a :dtroll:. Hopefully the Sox will eventually show they are, until then a lot of people need to take some pills and just deal with the fact that not everyone is going to pick the Sox.

MRKARNO
07-21-2005, 06:47 PM

He really said that? Does he watch any White Sox games at all? In my opinion, the defense is one of the biggest reasons that our pitching staff, and subsequently, the team has done so well. Our defense is so good, in fact, that I think that it's going to raise the level of importance that GMs place on it in this upcoming offseason. Our amazing defense is the antidote to the fact that HRs fly out of the park like crazy. It's a great strategy: if you can't help all of those balls flying out of the yard, try to catch a large portion of them that stay in to prevent non-HR hits.

chisoxt
07-21-2005, 06:57 PM
oh ***** - I hardly see any articles that are 100% devoted and positive about the Sox, therefore you would think every article written this year about the Sox would be lambasted here.

Not the case.

The fact is, we lambast people for ignorance...for instance HR saying that defense is our achilles heel.

exqueeze me? baking powder?

No, *****!...I've seen it to on this board as well. The 'this thread sucks' or 'this thread blows' clipart goes up when someone starts a post with a contrarian view. Part of being a fan is enjoying the succes of a season like this one. Believe me, there has been so much to like, But the other part is wanting more and seeing your team get better and make it to the next level. Remember, we won a whole bunch of games early in 2000 and look how that ended up. When you stop and realize how marginal this team has played at home in the past month (losing series against the D-backs, Cubs, A's and Tigers). If you can't see that this team has holes that would be problematic in a short series, you are bllind.

cubhater
07-21-2005, 07:02 PM
anyone know when the last time the teams with the best reg season records met in the series, if ever? or if the sox and cards will have the best records at the end of the reg season? just wondering.

I believe it was 1995...Braves and Tribe.

batmanZoSo
07-21-2005, 07:20 PM
Yeah, uh, nobody cares.

fquaye149
07-22-2005, 01:46 AM
No, *****!...I've seen it to on this board as well. The 'this thread sucks' or 'this thread blows' clipart goes up when someone starts a post with a contrarian view. Part of being a fan is enjoying the succes of a season like this one. Believe me, there has been so much to like, But the other part is wanting more and seeing your team get better and make it to the next level. Remember, we won a whole bunch of games early in 2000 and look how that ended up. When you stop and realize how marginal this team has played at home in the past month (losing series against the D-backs, Cubs, A's and Tigers). If you can't see that this team has holes that would be problematic in a short series, you are bllind.

Wait what the hell are you arguing with me about? I am taking Harold Reynolds to task for saying our defense is our achilles heel.

I have never once this season advocated we should stand pat. I have been one of the people calling Paulie out for saying stupid stuff even while others say "we're in first place, don't worry about it." I have supported the Burnett trade though not at the expense of Contreras. I would love to see a middle reliever come our way.

I know goddamn well we aren't a perfect team. The bottom of our lineup is underwhelming and we have a cleanup hitter hitting .250. We have a lack of left-handed pitching and left-handed power hitting. However, the fact is:

-this team plays very good defense ESPECIALLY in the infield
-this team's starting pitching is very good and I believe our top 3 are unparalleled
-this team has very good speed at the top of the order
-most players on this team can execute and know how to win one run games
-our four big guys in the bullpen - marte, cotts, hermanson and politte are very good lockdown players.

Sorry, but if an article or mediot ignores these facts I will call them out on it or support anyone who does.

To say we pooh pooh any negative article is wrong. There's a lot negative to say about this team and most of it has been said. I hate to tell you, but almost EVERY article written about the Sox this year has had a negative "can they keep this up" slant to it. I would estimate upwards of a thousand articles have been written in various publications, not to mention editorial clips on ESPN, about the Sox. Like I said before nearly every one of them takes the "unexpected" or "shooting star" angle about the Sox and is therefore negative.

I have not seen 1000 threads about media comments on the Sox. I know it seems like that sometimes, but the only time (most) people start media threads is when there is a legitimate beef (like this case). Sorry but

a.) we have a better d than the cards (rolen is walking wounded...for instance)
b.) even if we don't, our D is not our Achilles heel.

Almost every other media thread takes a similar slant.

You can call bashing uninformed jackasses who make bull**** comments being cubbie-like, sheeplike, blissfully unrealistically optimistic if you want.

I'll call it defending the team I love from morons.

I have no delusions, but I love this team and will not let dip**** no nothings talk crap about it.