07-20-2005, 06:17 PM
Have at it.

downstairs
07-20-2005, 06:18 PM
Ugh.

Good effort though.

PAPChiSox729
07-20-2005, 06:18 PM
We gave 'em a finish. Oh well. We still rule.

:cool:

patbooyah
07-20-2005, 06:19 PM
we had a chance to win it with the last swing of the bat. that's better than nothing.

EdHerman12
07-20-2005, 06:19 PM
Nice comeback by the guys, but I'm gonna start calling Freddie...... Sybil.

Bring on the Carmines.....

GO SOX! :gulp:

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-20-2005, 06:20 PM
If only the White Sox offense played like they did in the 9th all game long like the new "Win or die trying" commercial says..:(:

FielderJones
Well, I'm looking outside and what do I see, but dark clouds!

Freddy's not a machine. He just didn't have it today, and he still got out of a lot of trouble.

Sox just need to cinch it up, hunker down, and beat the BlowSox.

PennStater98r
:(:

Gave up 4 runs in the ninth.

:mad:

Kogs35
hopefully they will learn stay with the formula that u r winning with small ball. after monday night u would think all they want todo is swing for the fences.

07-20-2005, 06:21 PM
Freddy never should have went out there for the 9th...Good effort at the end but we should have won it

Sxy Mofo
Ozzie's trying to get the starting pitcher a win... and sometimes it costs us. But, on the other side of that, the pitchers will work harder for a manager that will do everything in his power to get them wins and what not.

PaleHoseGeorge
The guy is presently our third best pitcher. He had an off day and the team still nearly pulled it out for the win.

I'm sure that's far too rational a point for what will follow.

Cue the duet.

:violin: :violin:

BigEdWalsh
07-20-2005, 06:23 PM
That just seemed like a game that no matter what the Sox were gonna lose. Nice to see that the Sox still had some fight left in 'em when I thought they might be hanging their heads and just going down 1-2-3.
BRING ON F%#*ING BOSTON!!

PAPChiSox729
07-20-2005, 06:23 PM
At first I always wondered why West is such a jerk to Dark Clouds. Now I see why. You guys are ridiculous.

:prozac

The Dude
07-20-2005, 06:24 PM
the opposition has outscored us in terms of runs for/ runs against. our hitting needs to turn it on, not wait til the later innings. we need another bat, another starter, and another arm in the pen. we get boston next, and a sweep gets the twinks back in the race, ugh!

Oh no, sky is falling we're gonna lose the division!!

To put it nicely, shut the hell up:dtroll:

BanditJimmy
07-20-2005, 06:24 PM
I hate to be the negative one here, but all year I have been seeing a bad pattern.

We cannot beat the opposition's best starting pitchers. Our offense cannot manufacture runs when the other team's horses are out there.

Mr. White Sox
07-20-2005, 06:25 PM
6 runs in the game? That's not a concern. They've been winning all year; I think they're fine. Maybe get a guy like Julio Lugo or a backup IF, but there's no need to revamp the O. This series, along with Oakland, were the only two bad series in a long time. This should get them geared up for a mistake-free 3/4 drubbing of the BoSox.

MarySwiss
07-20-2005, 06:26 PM
the opposition has outscored us in terms of runs for/ runs against. our hitting needs to turn it on, not wait til the later innings. we need another bat, another starter, and another arm in the pen. we get boston next, and a sweep gets the twinks back in the race, ugh!

Oh, goody! Now we're panicking after a 2-game losing streak. Can we please all calm down, dammit! And let's not give Boston a sweep before they even show up, okay?

Cripes!

downstairs
07-20-2005, 06:27 PM
At first I always wondered why West is such a jerk to Dark Clouds. Now I see why. You guys are ridiculous.

I don't see any Dark Clouds in this thread yet.

There is a difference between critiquing a loss and saying that loss means, for example that "now we're going to lose the rest of the year, collapse, and not make the playoffs."

I have a problem with leaving Freddie in. Its a valid point.

Do I think this means the team is going to fold, or that this game even meant anything in the grand scheme? No.

BigEdWalsh
07-20-2005, 06:33 PM

There is a difference between critiquing a loss and saying that loss means, for example that "now we're going to lose the rest of the year, collapse, and not make the playoffs."

Do I think this means the team is going to fold, or that this game even meant anything in the grand scheme? No.
Agreed. As is usually the case, some people get a kick out of mocking anyone who criticizes. It used to be the "Sky is Falling people". Now it's the Dark Clouds. Same thing. Same people complaining about 'em and making fun of anyone who complains at all following a loss. Sure a few people go overboard but....jeez.
I guess if we are all happy and giddy all of the time they'd be happy. Wait a minute...no. Then we'd be Cub fans.

ChicagoHoosier
07-20-2005, 06:43 PM
Freddy never should have went out there for the 9th...Good effort at the end but we should have won it

Apologize again to the chat room for ranting a little too long about this one, but simply agree with the above comment.

Having said that, I'm also bummed we lost a home series to a Tiger team who, while is decent, is the type of team we should be tearing up.

Nothing in this game, however, makes me panic and request any changes to our team. Still love our pitchers, our lineup, and our bullpen. Polite had his first off-day in a while, and unfortunately coincided with a very average (but not awful) day by Freddy. Other mistakes, like Rowand's bad throw to 3rd, Freddy not backing him up, Freddy's WP with two outs and runner on 3rd, and the above decision to leave Freddy in just all added up to a bad day at the ballpark.

So be it. I LOVE THIS TEAM and am geared up for Boston!

downstairs
07-20-2005, 06:44 PM
Agreed. As is usually the case, some people get a kick out of mocking anyone who criticizes. It used to be the "Sky is Falling people". Now it's the Dark Clouds. Same thing. Same people complaining about 'em and making fun of anyone who complains at all following a loss. Sure a few people go overboard but....jeez.
I guess if we are all happy and giddy all of the time they'd be happy. Wait a minute...no. Then we'd be Cub fans.

Thank you!

I don't know about anyone else here... but my standard for this team is a World Series win and nothing less.

Thus, every game "counts" to the extent that weaknesses can be realized.

Keeping Freddie in there in the 9th is a move that loses playoff series.

It would have been nice to see them continue the rally to a win. Sometimes you just have to do that in big-time playoff games.

Do I care if we're 12, 11, or 10 games in front of the Twins? No.

But, other than just being happy no matter what with these somewhat meaningless regular season games... I pay attention to them as an indication of what may happen in the playoffs.

mjmcend
07-20-2005, 06:45 PM
I hate to be the negative one here, but all year I have been seeing a bad pattern.

We cannot beat the opposition's best starting pitchers. Our offense cannot manufacture runs when the other team's horses are out there.

It is a good thing that Boston's best pitchers aren't even close to the two guys we faced today and last night from Detroit (Robertson and Bondermon). The best pitching in the AL is in the Central (except for the Angels) and I the last time I checked our record against those guys is ok.

MIgrenade
07-20-2005, 06:47 PM
Rowands throw, Pablo's running in front of Uribe, Freddie's wild pitch, bad bullpen, bad decision by Ozzie.

There's a lot of problems here. Winning tomorrow will cure all of it, however. I really don't care about this game overall, but there are a couple things can't really can't happen.
The sox missed an opportunity with Widger not being able to bunt, and Politte sucking. These things happen. If you really analyze the last two game there really isn't much to be concerned about. Yesterday you get shut down by a good pitcher (that's what we do all year), and today was simply UGLY, yet, they manage to get the winning run to the plate in the ninth. How many teams could have done that? Not many.

EdHerman12
07-20-2005, 06:47 PM
Listen folks, I realize the guys aren't gonna win all 162 games. No team will. With that said all I can say is the little things we see now (struggles by Freddie, JC, El Duque, Big Hurt and Paulie not getting it done at the right time, etc) those are the things that will come back and bite you in the rear end in October. I know Freddie is not a machine, but he looked totally out of it today. This team has to have that effort from a guy with the talent that he has....I'm not trying to be a dark cloud, or say the sky is falling, but the first rule of survival is clear...nothing is more dangerous than yesterday's success.

So...if everyone wants to rush to Fredrick's aid and JC's defense for his lack luster performances than so be it. We have to have a consistent effort from our 3, 4 and 5 guys...and....our guys wearing #'s 35 and 14 have to get it done as well....

I'm coming down from the soap box folks....it's been a long day...

GO SOX!:gulp: <--------MAKE MINE A DOUBLE..

samram
07-20-2005, 06:48 PM
Thank you!

I don't know about anyone else here... but my standard for this team is a World Series win and nothing less.

It would have been nice to see them continue the rally to a win. Sometimes you just have to do that in big-time playoff games.

But, other than just being happy no matter what with these somewhat meaningless regular season games... I pay attention to them as an indication of what may happen in the playoffs.

In a playoff series, Freddy would have been gone before the ninth. However, one does not manage playoff series the same way one manages a game in the middle of July when the team has an eleven game lead.

MarySwiss
07-20-2005, 06:48 PM

Got no problem with constructive criticism, BigEd. But when folks freak out about two losses, please! I watched most of this game on MLB.com (when I should have been working) and I saw much to criticize, e.g, the offensive effort was lacking today, and they do seem to be leaning away from the small ball/smart ball which is what got us here. I hope they fix both of these things. But I doubt if either can be fixed by getting a rent-a-player.

And no, we should not be happy and giddy all the time. But we should come to terms with the fact that we are pretty damn good and, until someone proves otherwise, we have every right to be happy and giddy most of the time. And that most emphatically does not make us Cub fans, who are happy and giddy without reason. We have a reason.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-20-2005, 06:50 PM

Here's an opinion you can take to the bank.

YOU HAVEN'T A ****ING CLUE WHAT THE SOX WILL DO IN THE PLAYOFFS BASED ON GAMES PLAYED IN JULY.

Now go find a nice cool bullet to fire inside your brain, chasing after the elusive 162-0 season that will finally make you happy.

Dumbass.

RallyBowl
07-20-2005, 06:55 PM
screw the tigers. They'll be sitting at home in october when we're poppin bottles. Anyone who wants to get down on ozzie can apply for his job when he is fired making moves that will "Cost us a playoff series". give me a f'n break. we still own the division, still best record. Bring on the blood sox.

Nothing will delight me more
than taking three out of four
if we can't seem to do it
we are still the White Sox
so screw it.

MIgrenade
07-20-2005, 06:58 PM

YOU HAVEN'T A ****ING CLUE WHAT THE SOX WILL DO IN THE PLAYOFFS BASED ON GAMES PLAYED IN JULY.

Now go find a nice cool bullet to fire inside your brain, chasing after the elusive 162-0 season that will finally make you happy.

Dumbass.

I don't think this is necessarily true. Guys that are good in the clutch now probably will be then.
The anamoly in this game was keeping Freddy in. The reason is simple, Hermanson is injured and JC was bad yesterday. Meanwhile, Marte has been injured lately, Jenks pitched a lot yesterday. I think Ozzie wanted to see if he could rest the pen for one more inning and Freddy could keep it close. If they go to extras they have more guys available. You have to accept losses in July when you have a month and a half left.
And another thing, when Randy Johnson has a bad game everyone in NY probably things about how good he will be once they get to the playoffs (if that happens). Here we automatically assume our guys will fail.

Sxy Mofo
07-20-2005, 06:58 PM

Dumbass.

What's the record for wins in a year, 116 or so? Even if a team reaches that record, they still lose 46 games over the year.

Normally i'm not a fan of sentences in all caps, but i appreciate the one above.

MarySwiss
07-20-2005, 06:59 PM
Forgot to mention it, but wasn't Farnsworth awesome? Too bad Detroit took him out without giving him a chance to redeem himself!

infohawk
07-20-2005, 07:00 PM
We lost the series for one reason. Starting pitching. Detroit's starters shut down our offense, and our starters weren't sharp. It's gonna happen every now and then. Actually, we were pretty fortunate to take the opener (avoiding the sweep). The only damage we did against the Tigers was when we faced their bullpen. They've got some pretty good starters, especially Bonderman. There's no shame in not hitting them well all of the time.

Mr. White Sox
07-20-2005, 07:00 PM
I disagree about consistency carrying on to the playoffs. In 2000(shudder), Frank was amazing during the season, and awful during the playoffs (didn't he hit like .150?) Because the playoffs are a short-term thing compared to the regular season, it's all about which hitters aren't slumping, normally don't slump, are on a tear, etc. etc....same goes for pitching, although that is a consistent plus on this team, as is the consistent application of the baseball fundamentals on offense. We have no idea how the Sox will perform, but hopefully (and probably) Ozzie ball will carry on into the playoffs.

Sxy Mofo
07-20-2005, 07:02 PM
I don't think this is necessarily true. Guys that are good in the clutch now probably will be then.

This is not necessarily true either. How many guys have you seen choke in the playoffs. How many exceed in the playoffs. It happens a lot. And a lot of times lately, the team with the best record at the end of the year doesn't win the world series.

BeviBall!
07-20-2005, 07:04 PM
Ozzie sending Freddy out in the ninth was the worst move he's made all season. 93 degrees, 100% humidity, 107 pitches, 60 minute rain delay and he was getting knocked around all day. He puts Cotts in to start, it's 4-3 in the bottom of the ninth and game on.

Anyone else confused by Rowands arm today? It looked 1-Dogesque.

Still good to see some fire after 17 listless innings.

downstairs
07-20-2005, 07:05 PM

Dumbass.

Nice. I'm trying to be rational (even though I may disagree with others, and they may disagree with me). You're talking suicide.

I'm not trying to tell you how to be a fan. You want to be overly positive, great. I like to analyze.

I don't think every loss is a dissaster. I never said anything like that. I do think losses are an opportunity to see weaknesses (especially when they're against teams you should beat.)

I totally accept this specific loss, and really could care less about what it means... OTHER THAN analyzing what hopefully could make us better.

What else would you recommend I do? Just be happy that we're 62-31. I could personally care less about our record. Like I've said many times (and pretty much every year I've been a fan)... all I care about is a World Series win.

cheeses_h_rice
07-20-2005, 07:05 PM
On my drive home, I heard a 65-year-old Sox fan on the Score say he thought the Sox weren't going to make the playoffs this year.

Aren't they still 11 games up?

:?:

downstairs
07-20-2005, 07:07 PM
What's the record for wins in a year, 116 or so? Even if a team reaches that record, they still lose 46 games over the year.

Normally i'm not a fan of sentences in all caps, but i appreciate the one above.

But then you're not getting my point (he was referring to me).

I don't care if we win 162, 116, 100, 95, 87. I just want a World Series win.

I also don't see a big problem with being 10 vs. 12 games ahead of MIN.

But... I do think analyzing possible weaknesses of this team after a loss is not irrational.

I don't think anything I've said was irrational. I never said "now we're doomed"... or "oh, crap, 11 more games like this and we're in 2nd place!"

I merely offered critique.

TaylorStSox
07-20-2005, 07:07 PM

Dumbass.

:gulp:

Rocklive99
07-20-2005, 07:08 PM
This means nothing but false hope for Tigger fans.

Damn you Rangers, they stold Thunderstruck for their pregame song (on ESPN right now)

Lip Man 1
07-20-2005, 07:08 PM
Just some random comments:

The Sox sure have hit a lot of rain in the past week.

They aren't playing well at home right now having dropped 5 of 6 (which is surprising). However that may simply be the up's and down's of a long season.

Sox are still 9-7 in July despite having had to play Oakland six times.

As far as today...this was a bizarre game. The Sox didn't look 'in synch.' (Not the so called music group LOL) If the bullpen doesn't implode in the 9th inning, who knows maybe they win it. (of course had the top of the 9th played out differently, the bottom of the 9th would have as well...)

I think the reason Garcia was out there for the 9th was because the bullpen is thin right now gang. Dustin is hurt, Shingo is gone, Jenks is inexperienced. Ozzie was pushing the envelop because he knows he's dealing with a short deck in the pen right now. (Personally I'd be happy if the Sox picked up another relief pitcher OR another starter before the 31st.)

I hope they play better against Boston. The schedule is starting to get tougher, August is coming and this club needs to be ready to adjust to the better compitition. (Keep in mind though both Hernandez and Contreras are slated against the Red Sox unless a deal is made...)

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
07-20-2005, 07:10 PM

I'm endlessly amused at how stupid the average American sports fan has become thanks to the mindless nonsense propagated by the NFL and their hired shills at Fox/ESPN/CBS. You and downstairs are the poster children for such idiocy.

We're 3 months and 70 games away from the MLB playoffs. The Sox are the best team in baseball and we still figure to lose 50+ games. That's over FOUR WHOLE NFL SEASONS WORTH OF GAMES!!!!

Christ, there are some stupid ****ing people posting in this thread.

CYGarland20
07-20-2005, 07:11 PM
(Keep in mind though both Hernandez and Contreras are slated against the Red Sox unless a deal is made...)

Lip :o:

downstairs
07-20-2005, 07:12 PM
I'm endlessly amused at how stupid the average American sports fan has become thanks to the mindless nonsense propagated by the NFL and their hired shills at Fox/ESPN/CBS. You and downstairs are the poster children for such idiocy.

We're 3 months and 70 games away from the MLB playoffs. The Sox are the best team in baseball and we still figure to lose 50+ games. That's over FOUR WHOLE NFL SEASONS WORTH OF GAMES!!!!

Seriously. Then why even have a postgame thread?

What have I said that is crazy or irrational?

There are certainly some crazy things said here that need to be called out. Saying this game is the beginning of our slide into 2nd place is a stupid thing to say.

Saying Ozzie was stupid for bringing in Freddie is a completely rational opinion, even if you disagree.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-20-2005, 07:13 PM
Seriously. Then why even have a postgame thread?

What have I said that is crazy or irrational?

I'm not the only one who thinks what you (and others) write is both crazy and irrational.

Took the words right out of my mouth.
:cool:

itsnotrequired
07-20-2005, 07:14 PM
Signature update time. I wish I could see more White Sox winners at home.:(:

downstairs
07-20-2005, 07:15 PM

Also, PaleHoseGeorge.... this is a post-game thread, not a post-the-whole-season-to-this-point thread.

Analyzing the problems in this game are fair. If you assume my critique means that I am ignoring the whole season's worth of success... that's your misunderstanding.

Chisox003
07-20-2005, 07:15 PM
On my drive home, I heard a 65-year-old Sox fan on the Score say he thought the Sox weren't going to make the playoffs this year.

Aren't they still 11 games up?

:?:

After seeing the picture in your sig, I nearly **** myself

Yikes :o:

PaleHoseGeorge
07-20-2005, 07:16 PM
Also, PaleHoseGeorge.... this is a post-game thread, not a post-the-whole-season-to-this-point thread.

Analyzing the problems in this game are fair. If you assume my critique means that I am ignoring the whole season's worth of success... that's your misunderstanding.

You are badly mistaken if you think a post-game thread is meant for you to reveal what a nutjob you truly are.

Go beat your dog. Nobody here wants to listen to your **** -- not even your therapist, who is doubtlessly waiting for you to return his call.

downstairs
07-20-2005, 07:18 PM
You are badly mistaken if you think a post-game thread is meant for you to reveal what a nutjob you truly are.

I critiqued the game. I thought one move was a bad move by the manager.

I also said I expect a World Series win from the Sox.

I also said I don't care how many wins we get, and I don't care about this game in terms of its effect on the season.

Is that nutty?

Sxy Mofo
07-20-2005, 07:19 PM
But then you're not getting my point (he was referring to me).

I don't care if we win 162, 116, 100, 95, 87. I just want a World Series win.

I also don't see a big problem with being 10 vs. 12 games ahead of MIN.

But... I do think analyzing possible weaknesses of this team after a loss is not irrational.

I don't think anything I've said was irrational. I never said "now we're doomed"... or "oh, crap, 11 more games like this and we're in 2nd place!"

I merely offered critique.

I was just agreeing with the point he made. I didn't even read the quote that made him go on the tirade. i agree with the tirade. I have no idea what your opinion on anything is. My opinion is below:

These teams are human. They're going to make mistakes, they're going to have off days. Every one of them is going to lose 50+ games a season. They're going to look bad every now and then. It happens. When someone assembles a team of albert pujols, mark buehrle's, roger clemens', call me. No teams is going to look perfect or invincible for 162 games. They're not always going to look good in losses. They'll have bad games.

downstairs
07-20-2005, 07:21 PM
I was just agreeing with the point he made. I didn't even read the quote that made him go on the tirade. i agree with the tirade. I have no idea what your opinion on anything is. My opinion is below:

These teams are human. They're going to make mistakes, they're going to have off days. Every one of them is going to lose 50+ games a season. They're going to look bad every now and then. It happens. When someone assembles a team of albert pujols, mark buehrle's, roger clemens', call me. No teams is going to look perfect or invincible for 162 games. They're not always going to look good in losses. They'll have bad games.

Of course. I just hope you think its fair to critique what may be weaknesses of the team.

By the same logic, in a 5 or 7 game series... ANY team (other than the ones that do go 162-0) can have enough weaknesses to lose 3 or 4 games.

Thus, I happen to think (and others apparently disagree with me) that its fair to critique a team even when they're 62-31.

RallyBowl
07-20-2005, 07:22 PM
Verbal jousting with PHG?
:DJ
"uh oh."

BeviBall!
07-20-2005, 07:22 PM
Was anyone else who was at the game, and saw the end of the O's/Twins game on the tron, baffled that the crowd cheered Sammy striking out in the 9th? People... the Twins are the enemy, not Sammy. Fools.

Sxy Mofo
07-20-2005, 07:25 PM
Was anyone else who was at the game, and saw the end of the O's/Twins game on the tron, baffled that the crowd cheered Sammy striking out in the 9th? People... the Twins are the enemy, not Sammy. Fools.

That's odd. I'd like to believe most sox fans are smarter than the hate.

Cowhead418
07-20-2005, 07:28 PM

When you're 62-31 against a tough AL schedule with the best pitching in the MLB in your division (also a 31-7 record against them) you're BOUND to beat good pitchers. Therefore what you said was worthless.

Jerko
07-20-2005, 07:28 PM
I have not read this thread yet, but I was at the game, and the only time I got pissed was the Widger bunt on the FIRST pitch (force out at 3rd) after 2 consecutuve walks. That was brutal.

Sxy Mofo
07-20-2005, 07:29 PM
Of course. I just hope you think its fair to critique what may be weaknesses of the team.

By the same logic, in a 5 or 7 game series... ANY team (other than the ones that do go 162-0) can have enough weaknesses to lose 3 or 4 games.

Thus, I happen to think (and others apparently disagree with me) that its fair to critique a team even when they're 62-31.

This team does have weaknesses. And message boards are for critiquing. I really have no idea how this discussion started, and i really don't know what points we're even discussing, really.

BeviBall!
07-20-2005, 07:29 PM
That's odd. I'd like to believe most sox fans are smarter than the hate.

Frontrunners? The only reason I can fathom... and it was a loud cheer with the O's having 2 on at the time. Tejada was a foot away from winning the game.

ElevenUp
07-20-2005, 07:30 PM

We were inside because of the rain delay when Sosa struck out. all of the people crowded around the TV we were at were dsigusted with SamMe.

shoota
I also think Garcia pitched too long in today's game because he was already interrupted for an hour-long rain delay. He shouldn't have started the 9th.

I don't know how Konerko has time to react to Uribe's bullets he throws to him. If Uribe's throw is off a bit, Paulie doesn't have much reaction time to adjust. But, from my perspective, it's fun to watch Uribe slingshot baseballs all over the field.

That Brandon Inge is a heck of a third baseman. This is the second series in a row he's impressed me over at the hot corner and at the plate.

Iguchi really knows what to do at the plate.

BeviBall!
I have not read this thread yet, but I was at the game, and the only time I got pissed was the Widger bunt on the FIRST pitch (force out at 3rd) after 2 consecutuve walks. That was brutal.

Yup. They shouldn't have had the bunt on anyway... the guy plays once a week. But he should be smart enough to realize you have to bunt to the first base side.

Sxy Mofo
07-20-2005, 07:31 PM
Frontrunners? The only reason I can fathom... and it was a loud cheer with the O's having 2 on at the time. Tejada was a foot away from winning the game.

I guess some people are so comfortable with the sox lead they'd rather see sammy suck than see the twins lose.

I want to see sammy fail more than any individual player, but not at the expense of a twins win.

itsnotrequired

I saw that too. Idiotic.

Cowhead418
Listen folks, I realize the guys aren't gonna win all 162 games. No team will. With that said all I can say is the little things we see now (struggles by Freddie, JC, El Duque, Big Hurt and Paulie not getting it done at the right time, etc) those are the things that will come back and bite you in the rear end in October. I know Freddie is not a machine, but he looked totally out of it today. This team has to have that effort from a guy with the talent that he has....I'm not trying to be a dark cloud, or say the sky is falling, but the first rule of survival is clear...nothing is more dangerous than yesterday's success.

So...if everyone wants to rush to Fredrick's aid and JC's defense for his lack luster performances than so be it. We have to have a consistent effort from our 3, 4 and 5 guys...and....our guys wearing #'s 35 and 14 have to get it done as well....

I'm coming down from the soap box folks....it's been a long day...

GO SOX!:gulp: <--------MAKE MINE A DOUBLE..
Name one ****ing pitcher that has gone through the season free of off-days? Did you know that this loss was Freddy's first one in two months? How the hell is he inconsistent?

YES 1000 post!!!

Jerko
07-20-2005, 07:37 PM
I saw that too. Idiotic.

I saw the strikeout in the stadium club during the rain delay, and after many cheers, I asked everyone that was cheering "you do know he was playing against the Twins there, we needed him to do good". In response, I got a "huh"? Sad.

PAPChiSox729
07-20-2005, 07:38 PM

I agree with you there. It was just that some of the first posts went along the lines of "now we're going to lose the rest of the year, collapse, and not make the playoffs." After a tough loss, just a couple of those posts will get me made. You are right; this game probably won't matter much in the long run. I am fine with people critiquing the team. I just find that the tangents people will go on after losses are unnecessary. I am guessing that by Sunday night, tonight's game will be long forgotten. Go get 'em, Mark!

Sxy Mofo
07-20-2005, 07:43 PM
I saw the strikeout in the stadium club during the rain delay, and after many cheers, I asked everyone that was cheering "you do know he was playing against the Twins there, we needed him to do good". In response, I got a "huh"? Sad.

So this is what happens when people decide it's "cool" to root for a team. Sad.

ode to veeck
07-20-2005, 07:44 PM
I'm sure that's far too rational a point for what will follow.

no truer words were ever posted ...

SoxSpeed22
07-20-2005, 07:46 PM
*bleep*.

whitesoxfan
07-20-2005, 07:48 PM
i don't know why some of you guys are worried, we still have an 11 game lead and we nearly came back from a 5 run deficit in the 9th. We have Mark and Garland going in the first 2 games of the Red Sox series. I don't know why we should be worried.

Jerko
07-20-2005, 07:48 PM
So this is what happens when people decide it's "cool" to root for a team. Sad.

HUH? Sammy struck out with 2 guys on against the Twins, and people cheered. Last time I checked, we wanted the Twins to lose.

whitesoxfan
07-20-2005, 07:52 PM
HUH? Sammy struck out with 2 guys on against the Twins, and people cheered. Last time I checked, we wanted the Twins to lose.

those "fans" that cheered when the Shamster struck out = :dtroll:

PaleHoseGeorge
07-20-2005, 08:01 PM
I critiqued the game. I thought one move was a bad move by the manager.

I also said I expect a World Series win from the Sox.

I also said I don't care how many wins we get, and I don't care about this game in terms of its effect on the season.

Is that nutty?

Ahem... try the holy innocent routine with your mother. She loves you, even when you lie your ****ing head off. This is what you wrote:

Downstairs, you're a ****ing nutjob.

You're not loved for coming here sharing your psychosis with the rest of us. The post-game thread isn't your therapist's couch.

You're invited to leave and never come back.

Is that clear enough for you?

Jerko
07-20-2005, 08:03 PM
those "fans" that cheered when the Shamster struck out = :dtroll:

:hawk

YESSSSSSSS!

Jjav829
07-20-2005, 08:26 PM
Blame me for the loss. I was in my car for the whole rally during the 9th inning. By the time Iguchi came up I was at the gym. I rushed inside, wanting to see Iguchi's at-bat. I got inside and to the TV just in time to see Iguchi ground out. Sorry guys. I screwed it all up. Put all the blame on me for this one. Sorry, Iguchi. Sorry, world.

Kidding aside, the whole Freddy thing puzzled me. I thought he should have been out of the game before the 8th inning. Then Ozzie left him in and I figured Freddy would definitely be out for the 9th. That one really puzzled me, and normally I agree with Ozzie's moves.

That was a nice little rally in the 9th. I might be off here, but did Rowand swing at the first pitch? Farnsworth's control was off, he had just walked two batters and went to 2-2 on Dye, and Rowand swings at the first pitch. Not a very good move there, but all the other hitters seemed to have quality at-bats in the 9th.

Congrats to the Tigers and their fans. I saw one of their fans on motownsports say that this was the biggest series of the year for them. :?:
I guess it was real important for them to get within, ummmm, how far back are they again? I don't even remember anymore. Well, I don't feel like looking up how far back a team with a sub-.500 record is, but I'm sure this was quite a series for them. Probably the high point of the year. Think of it that way. We've given another teams fans a great memory for the end of the year. When we're in the playoffs at the end of the year (hopefully in the World Series), they can look back and say, "Remember when we went into Chicago and took 2 out of 3 from those guys? Yeah, that was fun."

hose
07-20-2005, 08:37 PM
I stayed to the last out and to see the Sox work over Farnsworth for a 30 something pitch count and get the winning run to the plate was amazing.

This team could have easily phoned in the 9th inning after falling behind 8-3.

Someone please tell me that Buehrle wasn't diving on the tarp again. I caught somebody on the tv as I was walking by on the concourse during the rain delay and couldn't tell if it was an old broadcast or current.

brewcrew/chisox
07-20-2005, 08:40 PM
uhm,

Can I suggest that PHG and Downstairs not have seats next to one another at the game if there is a WSI game outing :D:

Seriously,

Just got back from the game. They lost.

We'll take the series this weekend.

It's hot and humid and everyone is a bit :angry:

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-20-2005, 08:47 PM
Was that willie harris and buehrle sliding on the tarp?

BeviBall!
07-20-2005, 08:50 PM
Was that willie harris and buehrle sliding on the tarp?

Yup... they did it twice.

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-20-2005, 08:51 PM
Yup... they did it twice.

that was awsome. everyone in the upper deck including us were cheering

BeviBall!
07-20-2005, 08:53 PM
that was awsome. everyone in the upper deck including us were cheering

Awesome until Buehrle slides wrong, gets his arms caught under him and breaks a finger or wrist. C'mon guys... well, Harris can do whatever he wants, but MB should take his health a little more seriously.

hose
07-20-2005, 08:56 PM
I hope Kenny can work a huge fine into Buehrle's contract if he ever slides on the tarp again. $ 50,000 should keep Buehrle off the damn tarp.

Willie can slide on the tarp all he wants.

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-20-2005, 08:57 PM
I realize its a hazard to his health but its fun to watch anyways. I hope he doesnt do it again.

BeviBall!
07-20-2005, 09:09 PM

In fact, it should be encouraged.

ndu3t4
07-20-2005, 09:24 PM
Like someone earlier said, it does worry me that the sox tend to have problems with another team's ace, but otherwise, I totally love this team. Let's put this behind us and bring on the carmines. Hopefully, Mark can set the tone early.

TomBradley72
07-20-2005, 10:04 PM
Ahem... try the holy innocent routine with your mother. She loves you, even when you lie your ****ing head off. This is what you wrote:

Downstairs, you're a ****ing nutjob.

You're not loved for coming here sharing your psychosis with the rest of us. The post-game thread isn't your therapist's couch.

You're invited to leave and never come back.

Is that clear enough for you?

Most of us come here for discussion on the White Sox....not to read a couple of guys hiding behind computer screens bitching at each other.

Lighten up...

TomBradley72
07-20-2005, 10:09 PM
At least some good news today:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-050720cubsgamer,1,6723724.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

starboy0
07-20-2005, 10:38 PM
At least it rained. Any of you living around Aurora know how good that rain looked. Hopefully it also washed away that Detroit funk. Last year with Detroit, Crede won a game with a homerun (like this year also) around July 29th I think then we lost the next two to them (one day game I think Bonderman was pulled in the 1st inning by the umpire). After that we tanked for the season. (not like this year!)

The lads lost a tough one but they are not machines. Hey, Iguchi was one swing away from winning it.

Let's beat Boston worse than the Cubs did.

TornLabrum
07-20-2005, 10:42 PM
Like someone earlier said, it does worry me that the sox tend to have problems with another team's ace, but otherwise, I totally love this team. Let's put this behind us and bring on the carmines. Hopefully, Mark can set the tone early.

Most teams have problems with the other team's ace. That's why he's the ace.

balke
07-20-2005, 10:44 PM
I hope Kenny can work a huge fine into Buehrle's contract if he ever slides on the tarp again. $ 50,000 should keep Buehrle off the damn tarp.

Eh, whatever. Its a freakin slip n slide. As embarassing an injury as it would be, its not much more hazardess than carrying groceries up a flight of stairs.

hose
07-20-2005, 11:05 PM
Eh, whatever. Its a freakin slip n slide. As embarassing an injury as it would be, its not much more hazardess than carrying groceries up a flight of stairs.

The risk sure out weighs any (if there is even one) possible reward.

DuckSnort
07-20-2005, 11:38 PM
I was at the game tonight, in the centerfield outfield, and I just have to say, that was one of the more fun games I've been to even tho we lost, the ninth was nothing but energy, I think the fans willed them to try that hard! great crowd on hand. Oh, and I had a churro for the first time tonight, only because I see them so oftly mentioned around here :) very good.

JB98
07-21-2005, 12:12 AM
Yup. They shouldn't have had the bunt on anyway... the guy plays once a week. But he should be smart enough to realize you have to bunt to the first base side.

Incorrect. In a first-and-second situation, you want to force the third baseman to field the bunt. If the third baseman fields the bunt, no one is covering third, making a force play at that base impossible. Unless, of course, the opposition puts the wheel play on. In that case, the shortstop covers third. Most managers don't have the balls to put that play on, however, because it leaves the middle of the infield wide open. In that situation, Widger is definitely trying to bunt the ball down the third-base side, and rightfully so.

Today, I thought Freddy was done after the seventh. I was very nervous when Ozzie sent him out for the eighth, but that worked out OK. I don't understand why Ozzie was trying to coax a complete game out of Garcia. Cotts, Marte, Vizcaino and Politte were all available to pitch. I understand we're a little short without Hermy, but we're not *that* short.

I don't know if KW will make a move, but if he does, I hope it's a bullpen pitcher. I'm a little nervous about Hermy and Marte. Two of our top three relievers have had injuries this year. I'm unhappy that Takatsu is out of the mix. I know he has struggled, but I don't like cutting loose a guy with closer experience, especially when the bullpen is having health issues.

I am disappointed in our play in this series against Detroit. But I still like our rotation, and I still like our lineup (Thomas, Konerko and Rowand have to get hot sometime, don't they?). I'm just worried that this bullpen situation could cost the Sox somewhere down the road.

Jurr
07-21-2005, 01:15 AM
Most teams have problems with the other team's ace. That's why he's the ace.
I don't know...the Sox play better against those types of guys than they do against the Jason Johnsons and the Wil Ledezmas of the world. Since I've been watching the Sox (especially in the last few years), they really seem to do well in A.) situations where they rallied the previous night, win or loss B.)play another team's better pitchers, and C.) Have MB on the bump. I think they'll beat Boston tomorrow night, and at very least get the split with Boston.

How great is it that the Sox can lose two games of ground on the Twins and everything is still perfect in our little world?:bandance:

balke
07-21-2005, 07:29 AM
The risk sure out weighs any (if there is even one) possible reward.

Dude, have you BEEN ON A SLIP AND SLIDE? THEY'RE AWESOME! Some players have slip n' slide usage built into their contract as an incentive. :tongue:

RKMeibalane
07-21-2005, 09:52 AM
Can I have those ten minutes back?

Sheesh!

After reading this thread, it's apparent that downstairs has nothing upstairs. Mindless fools like him shouldn't be allowed to post here.