PDA

View Full Version : Breakdown of Sox wins

patbooyah
07-20-2005, 04:57 PM
The big difference between this Sox offense and last years is that this offense is supposed to be more consistant. Below is a chart depicting how many runs the sox have scored in each of their games.

0: XX
1: XXXXXXX
2: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
3: XXXX
4: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
5: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
6: XXXXXXXXXX
7: XXXXXXX
8: XXXXX
9: XX
10: XX
11: X
12: XX
13:
14:
15: X

I'm too lazy to do analysis, but it looks consistant to me.

Please forgive me, I'm pretty bored at work.

fquaye149
07-20-2005, 04:59 PM
The big difference between this Sox offense and last years is that this offense is supposed to be more consistant. Below is a chart depicting how many runs the sox have scored in each of their games.

13:
14:

Can we get someone to red x the losses? I would do it but I'm at work...

samram
07-20-2005, 05:06 PM

13:
14:

There's a start on making the losses red.:redneck

Sxy Mofo
07-20-2005, 05:07 PM
Can we get someone to red x the losses? I would do it but I'm at work...

fred ex? He got kicked out of the city of brotherly love.

Jerome
07-20-2005, 05:10 PM
I find this very interesting. I know that last year, we had a lot of 10 runs one day, 2 runs the next day situations that, coupled with last years pitching, made it diffuclut to go on the runs we've experienced this year.

with this staff, I guess 4 or 5 runs is good enough to get it done. Kudos to the pitching staff.

fquaye149
07-20-2005, 05:18 PM
There's a start on making the losses red.:redneck

lol...what if ditka was pitching and it was negative 1 to 0

patbooyah
07-20-2005, 05:25 PM
some people are never happy. :cool:

13:
14:

also- this thread counts towards my WSI sherlock holmes slug.

jackbrohamer
07-20-2005, 05:27 PM
Apologies to anyone who (unlike me) knows something about statistics but if you cut out the outliers on the high end it looks a lot like a bell curve to me

samram
07-20-2005, 05:30 PM
lol...what if ditka was pitching and it was negative 1 to 0

Damn, didn't think of that. Ditki should really be pitching everyday. Enough of these other scrubs.

The Wimperoo
07-20-2005, 05:33 PM
http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/ten-things-i-didnt-know-last-week11/

Scroll down until you get to the part about the White Sox and their run distribution.

ilsox7
07-20-2005, 05:39 PM
Wow. 5 runs is the magic number.

scottjanssens
07-20-2005, 05:39 PM
This tells me that the Sox are .500 when they score 4 or less.

Having an even spread isn't consistent, it's exactly the opposite. Consistent would be having all the x's in one row, preferebly in 5. (Odd how the Sox winning pct is much lower with 6 runs as opposed to 5.)

scottjanssens
07-20-2005, 05:43 PM

Scroll down until you get to the part about the White Sox and their run distribution.

"Runs two through seven are a team's "sweet spot." If you had your druthers, you'd score between two and seven runs in every game. Which is just about what the White Sox have done."

Two runs? I don't know about others, but two seems mightly low for a sweet spot. And why does the sweet spot have an upper limit? I'd say four and up is the sweet spot. In fact, I'd define the sweet spot as Team ERA + 1 and up.

Also that graph shows the Sox run totals follow the league pretty closely. For some reason the Sox are unusually low at scoring three runs and unusually high at scoring five. (much better than vice versa!) Almost all other totals are on the line.

fquaye149
07-20-2005, 05:51 PM
"Runs two through seven are a team's "sweet spot." If you had your druthers, you'd score between two and seven runs in every game. Which is just about what the White Sox have done."

Two runs? I don't know about others, but two seems mightly low for a sweet spot. And why does the sweet spot have an upper limit? I'd say four and up is the sweet spot. In fact, I'd define the sweet spot as Team ERA + 1 and up.

Also that graph shows the Sox run totals follow the league pretty closely. For some reason the Sox are unusually low at scoring three runs and unusually high at scoring five. (much better than vice versa!) Almost all other totals are on the line.

hm 2 runs through 7...considering most teams will very rarely score more 8 or more and very rarely score 2 or less (unless they're the d-rays and therefore do not have a sweet spot) I don't know exactly what this means?

You mean the majority of games a team plays will be their sweet spot? I guess this would be true in the 2005 Sox' case...but ....:?:

scottjanssens
07-20-2005, 06:08 PM
Uh oh, Sox have six runs in the bottom of the 9th with 2 out. Seriously, what would be more interesting is the same graph but with runs given up (both earned and unearned). Although I suspect it wouldn't be too surprising, lots of wins with 4 or less runs given up.

wsgdf
07-20-2005, 08:44 PM
Here - check out this article about White Sox run distribution:

It's after the Derrek Lee bit.

Kuzman
07-20-2005, 09:30 PM
i noticed this and mentioned this earlier today, I said, if the Sox score atleast 5 runs, they got the win cause the pitching is that great.