PDA

View Full Version : My on field experience

Jaffar
07-20-2005, 11:21 AM
So I got to go on the field for batting practice yesterday. I got to meet pretty much the entire team and most of the staff. I took several pics got some stuff signed and had a great time. I thought Konerko and Crede were a little stiff/cold at Soxfest but after talking to them again yesterday I think that is just how they are.

Ozzie and Raines LOOOOVE attention and I think they talk just to hear themselves. Ever since I was a little Kid Big Frank has been my favorite player and he was the best. He is unbelievably nice and when I asked him if he had a second to sign some stuff and take a pic he was just like I have plenty of time no rush. He introduced me to his son who almost hit me with a ball earlier when he was playing catch with Raines. It was just awesome.

As I was walking out onto the filed I was told not to touch the grass and Roger walked by and I introduced myself and the first thing he was said was to stay off his grass and I kind of chuckled and he was like it won't be funny if you touch it. I stopped laughing but he was just joking around was cool but then finished by saying seriously don't touch the grass.
PICTURES!!!!!!! (http://community.webshots.com/album/400055376ZwkCGL)

EDIT* I changed the link

LVSoxFan
07-20-2005, 11:22 AM
Your link is broken.

How'd you manage to get on the field?

And what do they mean, don't touch the grass? You mean you're on the warning track only?

SOXintheBURGH
07-20-2005, 11:23 AM
Nice story.. the picture link isn't working for me though.

IlliniSox
07-20-2005, 11:23 AM
Couldn't see your pics there. How'd you get on the field, if I might ask?

cleanwsox
07-20-2005, 11:24 AM
http://www.lesco.com/LESCONews/vol42_2/ROGER2.jpg

"No Grass For You"

Jaffar
07-20-2005, 11:26 AM
I fixed the link for the pics. I was right at the entrance to the dugout behind home plate. Apparently Bossard is very particular with who gets to step foot on the grass and I was not good enough.

Sxy Mofo
07-20-2005, 11:27 AM
And what do they mean, don't touch the grass? You mean you're on the warning track only?

I'm a little confused by that part too. Don't they have sleep overs on the grass and such... and you can't touch it?

Jaffar
07-20-2005, 11:28 AM
I totally forgot to explain, I won the package at the Marklund Top Hat Ball. The White Sox are very involved with marklund and they donate the package every year and I have tried to win it but this was my first.

Jaffar
07-20-2005, 11:30 AM
I'm a little confused by that part too. Don't they have sleep overs on the grass and such... and you can't touch it?

It was rule #1 and #2 was to stay out of the dugout. Roger was little but I wasn't going to cross him and step on the grass after I was told not to not once but twice. Maybe it's some kind of inside joke with the staff, but most of the media avoided walking on the grass too.

Sxy Mofo
07-20-2005, 11:33 AM
It was rule #1 and #2 was to stay out of the dugout. Roger was little but I wasn't going to cross him and step on the grass after I was told not to not once but twice. Maybe it's some kind of inside joke with the staff, but most of the media avoided walking on the grass too.

That's just odd. You can't touch the grass, yet players can run on it with 3/4 inch metal cleats. I understand being anal about stuff like that as a grounds crew, but seriously, there are so many more damaging things done to the grass everyday

Iwritecode
07-20-2005, 12:20 PM
To quote Napolean Dynamite: "Lucky!"

That's really cool and those are some great pics. I've never even seen the Sox take BP from the stands much less hang out with them on the field.

JGarlandrules20
07-20-2005, 12:35 PM
I'm sooo jealous. Awesome pictures!

scottjanssens
07-20-2005, 12:44 PM
Maybe Bossard was concerned about tracking something from outside via the soles of the shoes. Does anyone know if the players have "Comiskey cleats"?

We've got a beautiful field. If the Sodfather says stay off the grass, then stay off the grass.

gr8mexico
07-20-2005, 12:46 PM
So I got to go on the field for batting practice yesterday. I got to meet pretty much the entire team and most of the staff. I took several pics got some stuff signed and had a great time. I thought Konerko and Crede were a little stiff/cold at Soxfest but after talking to them again yesterday I think that is just how they are.

Ozzie and Raines LOOOOVE attention and I think they talk just to hear themselves. Ever since I was a little Kid Big Frank has been my favorite player and he was the best. He is unbelievably nice and when I asked him if he had a second to sign some stuff and take a pic he was just like I have plenty of time no rush. He introduced me to his son who almost hit me with a ball earlier when he was playing catch with Raines. It was just awesome.

As I was walking out onto the filed I was told not to touch the grass and Roger walked by and I introduced myself and the first thing he was said was to stay off his grass and I kind of chuckled and he was like it won't be funny if you touch it. I stopped laughing but he was just joking around was cool but then finished by saying seriously don't touch the grass.
PICTURES!!!!!!! (http://community.webshots.com/album/400055376ZwkCGL)

EDIT* I changed the linkThats awesome I have been trying to meet El Duque for awhile but I havent able too.Thats cool

soltrain21
07-20-2005, 12:48 PM
Thats awesome I have been trying to meet El Duque for awhile but I havent able too.Thats cool

Cannibalism is a terrible thing.

edit- DAMN! YOU CHANGED IT!

Jaffar
07-20-2005, 12:53 PM
Maybe Bossard was concerned about tracking something from outside via the soles of the shoes. Does anyone know if the players have "Comiskey cleats"?

We've got a beautiful field. If the Sodfather says stay off the grass, then stay off the grass.

That was exactly my thoughts, my grass is brown right now so I was in no place to question his authority.

Heffalump
07-20-2005, 12:55 PM
That's pretty awesome............I've always heard that Frank is great with fans..........Too bad the media gives him so much ****.

Jaffar
07-20-2005, 01:07 PM
That's pretty awesome............I've always heard that Frank is great with fans..........Too bad the media gives him so much ****.

My friend that was there said the same thing. He was one of those people that didn't like Frank because of what he had heard but after we met him he couldn't believe how nice Frank was.

soxphan7
07-20-2005, 02:00 PM
Those pics are great, you are so lucky. I want to know where you got that sweet Sox jersey. I have not seen one of those yet and i need to get one. I have the hat that matches but thay jersey is unbelievable!

Jaffar
07-20-2005, 02:25 PM
Those pics are great, you are so lucky. I want to know where you got that sweet Sox jersey. I have not seen one of those yet and i need to get one. I have the hat that matches but thay jersey is unbelievable!

You can still probably find a similar one but the Mitchell & Ness Thomas jersey I had on they don't make anymore. I have seen a blackjack version and a plain one and I think triple threat makes a replica but I'm not sure.

havelj
07-20-2005, 02:50 PM
Just to confirm: Frank is a large, large man - my God.

I love the few Cub fans who try to say that Frank might have been on the juice - look at the size of his kid at that young age.

RallyBowl
07-20-2005, 06:06 PM
sweet pics, ya lucky bastard!

hsnterprize
07-20-2005, 07:52 PM
Jaffar,

Congrats buddy. You got to see stuff folks like me in the press see just about all the time. The guys in the Sox clubhouse are some pretty neat fells to hang around with, and what you said about Frank is 100% FACT...he is a nice guy, and even after a tough loss, he'll find time to talk to you if you approach him right.

Seeing the Cell from field level is awesome. I even told Bruce Levine not to take his job for granted. Can you imagine how much people would pay to do what you did? Can you imagine the people paying huge coin to sit in those "scout seats", yet all they get is an exclusive restaurant and some other perks. How much would you pay to sit in the press box, schmooze with other reporters, and go into the conference center and locker rooms to see your favorite players in person?

Enjoy this experience. I do. I haven't done Sox games in a while, but if I ever get the chance to cover a game, I'll be happier than a clam.

santo=dorf
07-20-2005, 07:55 PM
Well today during the rain delay I got the Tigers' bullpen pissed off telling me to "shut up" after I asked Nate Robertson if Monroe ever stole one of his belts. :tongue:

brewcrew/chisox
07-20-2005, 08:28 PM
:bong:

Stay off the grass.

:kneeslap:

Sorry mods, I just couldn't help myself

cubhater
07-20-2005, 10:48 PM
Jaffar,

Cherish the memory like me. I was lucky to meet Lamar Johnson, 1B/DH of the late 70s-early80s, during spring training in Sarasota as a teen. A couple years later he allowed me on the field at Comiskey to shag fly balls for batting practice and I nearly crapped my pants when he let me take a few swings in the batting cage when I was in town on summer vacation. That experience made me a Sox fan for life!

Andy T Clown
07-20-2005, 11:10 PM

Sodfather...thats great!