PDA

View Full Version : Miguel Batista

Madvora
07-20-2005, 10:56 AM
I got this from the rumor mill section, but I guess it was in the Tribune.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/MLB_SC-RUMOR
The chronic back problems of Dustin Hermanson have White Sox weighing closer options both inside and outside the organization, says the Chicago Tribune. Of the closers who might be available, the Sox are more intrigued by Toronto's Miguel Batista.

Batista's Stats (RHP)
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/8217
IP - 44, W/L 4-3, SV 16, ERA 3.27, K 30, BB 13

07-20-2005, 10:58 AM
I wouldn't mind him at all, he is a former starter too who can be used in Long Relief

Tragg
07-20-2005, 11:05 AM
This journeyman ought to come dirt-cheap: Straight up for Shingo.

Baby Fisk
07-20-2005, 11:18 AM
The Jays organization is on that fine line between "pretending to be contenders in the AL East" and "acknowledging that they are only pretenders in the AL East". They have made a big push in the past two years to try and draw back a disinterested fan base that got sick of watching sub-par baseball in a crappy stadium. Ownership has committed to spending more money over the next three years, but none of it has materialized yet. Jays fans have been hoping that general manager J.P. Ricciardi would make a run at Burnett this week. So you see where the fans' heads are at. If the Jays ship any player, they will have to demonstrate they are reaping immediate benefits in the form of impact player(s) in return. If the Jays appear to be throwing in the towel and entering another rebuilding phase, the fans (what's left of them) would flee in droves.

samram
07-20-2005, 11:37 AM
The Jays organization is on that fine line between "pretending to be contenders in the AL East" and "acknowledging that they are only pretenders in the AL East". They have made a big push in the past two years to try and draw back a disinterested fan base that got sick of watching sub-par baseball in a crappy stadium. Ownership has committed to spending more money over the next three years, but none of it has materialized yet. Jays fans have been hoping that general manager J.P. Ricciardi would make a run at Burnett this week. So you see where the fans' heads are at. If the Jays ship any player, they will have to demonstrate they are reaping immediate benefits in the form of impact player(s) in return. If the Jays appear to be throwing in the towel and entering another rebuilding phase, the fans (what's left of them) would flee in droves.

Meaning Shingo is not going to be enough, which I figured anyway, since Shingo is only signed for the rest of this season. He only makes sense for teams that need immediate bullpen help if they are desperate (Boston, perhaps, although, Shingo pitching in Boston would be really entertaining for opposing hitters). You can't get a major leaguer straight up for Shingo right now.

Baby Fisk
07-20-2005, 11:40 AM
Meaning Shingo is not going to be enough, which I figured anyway, since Shingo is only signed for the rest of this season. He only makes sense for teams that need immediate bullpen help if they are desperate (Boston, perhaps, although, Shingo pitching in Boston would be really entertaining for opposing hitters). You can't get a major leaguer straight up for Shingo right now.
Batista for Shingo would not be nearly enough for Jays fans. There's no such thing as rioting in Canada, but the outraged letters-to-the-editor would fly!

Tragg
07-20-2005, 11:44 AM
This guy is a journeyman mediocre to below mediocre pitcher. Paying any sort of a serious price (a top prospect e.g.) is abjectly ridiculous.

samram
07-20-2005, 11:51 AM
This guy is a journeyman mediocre to below mediocre pitcher. Paying any sort of a serious price (a top prospect e.g.) is abjectly ridiculous.

Maybe that's right, but that's what they're expecting. Frankly, I think Politte, Marte, Cotts, and obviously Hermanson are all better. Really no point bringing him on.

Tragg
07-20-2005, 11:58 AM
Maybe that's right, but that's what they're expecting. Frankly, I think Politte, Marte, Cotts, and obviously Hermanson are all better. Really no point bringing him on.

And they're nuts. His numbers this year, his best ever at 34 years old, aren't particularly compelling. In 14 years, he's had 4 seasons with an ERA below 4, and has played on 7 different teams. He is the epitome of mediocre journeyman reliever. Now if he had Hermanson's numbers this year, that would be different - but he doesn't - his numbers are closer to Vizcaino, who sits at the end of our pen.

And speaking of nuts, do the Sox really believe this guy is a replacement for Hermanson?

balke
07-20-2005, 12:15 PM
batista gave up yet another run last night, and let up about 5 hits. He did get the save, but had runners on 2nd and 3rd to end the game. He doesn't have a real good K/BB ratio, and lately he's lost a lot of games. If he came for nothing... maybe. I don't think he is the answer the Sox are looking for.

Banix12
07-20-2005, 12:43 PM

If Halladay had not gotten his leg broken I would have still considered them a contender, especially if they got a Burnett. Without Halladay they are dead. They needed him to have even an outside shot at contending.

In fairness they have started to spend a little money, they just haven't seen a good return yet. Their big move last winter was Corey Koskie and he's been injured Then they made the dumb move of giving a decent sized two year contract to Scott Schoenweis.

I like Batista but I think if we got him he would move into a setup role and Politte would become the closer. He's not worth a top prospect but maybe a Felix Diaz or Jon Adkins or maybe both.

samram
07-20-2005, 12:56 PM
I like Batista but I think if we got him he would move into a setup role and Politte would become the closer. He's not worth a top prospect but maybe a Felix Diaz or Jon Adkins or maybe both.

Once again, that's probably what he's worth, but the Jays can't accept a deal for bad prospects (which is what Adkins and Diaz are). There's just no fit with the Sox.

Tragg
07-20-2005, 01:30 PM
Then they made the dumb move of giving a decent sized two year contract to Scott Schoenweis.

What???
If that's how they spend their money, no wonder......Geeze, it doesn't get much worse than that.

Baby Fisk
07-20-2005, 02:05 PM
What???
If that's how they spend their money, no wonder......Geeze, it doesn't get much worse than that.
Haha, they signed Billy Koch in spring training then cut him after two weeks. He's spending this season living of the $900,000 they are paying him. Money well spent.

Banix12
07-20-2005, 04:00 PM
What???

2 years 5.2 million dollars. Not the most money for a pitcher but a lot to spend on Scott Schoenweis.