PDA

View Full Version : Observations from last night's game

ozzman
07-20-2005, 09:55 AM
I about cried. And not because of the terrible outcome of the game. Through the first five innings of the game, I think I saw about 20 pitches. I have never seen so many people up and down, up and down, up and down, up and down. It felt like I was up at the Urinal. There's a game going on people! Sit and watch! Get up between innings or during pitching changes or during a break in the action. Not only was it fans, but the vendors always seem to stop right in your line of sight with total disregard to the fans they are blocking. To make matters worse, we might as well put US Cellular Field in Greek letters on the front of the stadium. Frat boys galore.

I knew the bandwagon would fill, and I love having a packed house, but this isn't the same packed house that you have for opening day, or for a Twins series, or any other important game. There wasn't the playoff atmosphere that is associated with those sellouts/near sellouts. Sox games are becoming like Cubs games. The "cool" thing to do. I lost count of how many times the "fans" cheered wildly at anything hit into the air and caught by an outfielder who had to come in for the ball. It was really the worst experience I have ever had at a home game. With success comes fairweather fans, and this year they are out in droves, much more than were out for our boys in the summer of 2000.

One good thing did come from the game. I knew that it was Navy night at the park, and took advantage of the awesome promotion that the Sox have with giving military members free tickets. I remember when I was at boot camp and saw the Sox division walking around with the Sox flag held high. It made me jealous because I wanted to be in that division; thinking how cool it had to be getting read in and enlisting from behind home plate. Kudos to those young men and their nine week journey to become sailors.

cleanwsox
07-20-2005, 10:00 AM
I lost count of how many times the "fans" cheered wildly at anything hit into the air and caught by an outfielder who had to come in for the ball.

I think this happens at every ballpark. Some people just have horrible depth perception or hear the crack of the bat and think they need to cheer for something even if they have no idea where the ball is.

bumptious96
07-20-2005, 10:00 AM
I don't think you should be complaining for people coming to the Cell and cheering on the Sox. You should be happy that people are so excited about the game and are reacting to every play or even every pitch.

FielderJones
07-20-2005, 10:10 AM
I think this happens at every ballpark. Some people just have horrible depth perception or hear the crack of the bat and think they need to cheer for something even if they have no idea where the ball is.

Many people have not mastered the art of glancing at the outfielder after the ball leaves the bat. We call them Cub Fans.

Tekijawa
07-20-2005, 10:17 AM
Maybe we should get together and Write one of those "For Dummies" books on Baseball etiquette?

Jerko
07-20-2005, 10:19 AM
I don't mind the cheering stuff, but the original poster is right about the morons who leave their seats 30 times an inning. Stay up in the concourse if you're gonna do that. I don't go to the game to do up-downs all day.

Baby Fisk
07-20-2005, 10:20 AM
There's only approx. 5,377 intelligent Sox fans. They all reside here. :cool:

The rest will be fairweather types you have to accept come along with full houses.

I was at a game at Rogers Centre a couple months back and was thrilled to see a young guy wearing a Sox hat come and sit in my section. He had a couple of young ladies with him, which made him look even more of a hero. The trio sat down a couple rows behind me. Everything was going well until Young Sox Guy opened his mouth. Everytime a ball was hit, he'd make some bold declaration that was inevitably, embarrassingly WRONG. eg:

[CRACK]
"That's a foul ball!"
[ball lands in shallow right field, in the fielder's glove]

[CRACK]
"That one's gone!"
[caught by CFer]

[CRACK]
"Damn, he's out."
[ball sails 20 rows foul]

Either he had the depth perception of a blind owl, or this was the least intelligent idiot in a while. I wanted to turn around and beg him to **** and quit making a mockery of the hat he wore. Idiot! :angry:

nasox
07-20-2005, 10:20 AM
I about cried. And not because of the terrible outcome of the game. Through the first five innings of the game, I think I saw about 20 pitches. I have never seen so many people up and down, up and down, up and down, up and down. It felt like I was up at the Urinal. There's a game going on people! Sit and watch! Get up between innings or during pitching changes or during a break in the action. Not only was it fans, but the vendors always seem to stop right in your line of sight with total disregard to the fans they are blocking. To make matters worse, we might as well put US Cellular Field in Greek letters on the front of the stadium. Frat boys galore.

I knew the bandwagon would fill, and I love having a packed house, but this isn't the same packed house that you have for opening day, or for a Twins series, or any other important game. There wasn't the playoff atmosphere that is associated with those sellouts/near sellouts. Sox games are becoming like Cubs games. The "cool" thing to do. I lost count of how many times the "fans" cheered wildly at anything hit into the air and caught by an outfielder who had to come in for the ball. It was really the worst experience I have ever had at a home game. With success comes fairweather fans, and this year they are out in droves, much more than were out for our boys in the summer of 2000.

One good thing did come from the game. I knew that it was Navy night at the park, and took advantage of the awesome promotion that the Sox have with giving military members free tickets. I remember when I was at boot camp and saw the Sox division walking around with the Sox flag held high. It made me jealous because I wanted to be in that division; thinking how cool it had to be getting read in and enlisting from behind home plate. Kudos to those young men and their nine week journey to become sailors.

I was going to post something similar, but keep in mind, Monday's crowd was great, fantastic, and absolutely electric in the seventh inning. Tuesday's crowd was terrible, partially due to the fact that we were down 3-0 after two and couldn't get a hit if our life depended on it. But remember, go to todays game, or the next four games against the Pilgrims, and the crowd would be totally different.

It's not that fairweather fans were really all over the park, but you have to remember, Tuesdays are usually the worst games to go to just because of the nature of the promotion. If you remember the monday game a couple years ago, Frank's 400th homer game, that was a fantastic crowd and it happened to be half price night.

It reminds me of the July 4 game when we had a pointless rain delay for two hours. I paid half price, and I had to leave early to catch my train home. I paid for half a game, and saw half a game. Yesterday, I felt like I saw half a game due to the idiots in the stand, the drunk whores sitting behind us in the first few innings, and some of the tiger fans sitting behind us. So I moved from 510 (pathetically bad seats, but I didnít buy them) to 536 and the atmosphere was better. A full row of tiger fans behind us, but knowledgeable fans they were. And quiet.

BTW, in 510, people were cheering for something like a minute after Frank hit that popout, that really weakly hit fly ball to center. It was funny, and I said to mentioned drunk whores behind us, why are you clapping, heís out. She said, uhhhhh, because itís the third inning and we just got here. What a dope.

And as far as the getting up between innings, this needs to end. We should petition for the stop signs the ushers at the Leaky Baggydome have. They should not allow people to return to their seats until a pause in action.

For those who are paying premium price to watch the red sox, enjoy the atmosphere. It should be way better than the dodger series. I would, but I canít afford paying top dollar these days. :(:

Heffalump
07-20-2005, 10:23 AM
Many people have not mastered the art of glancing at the outfielder after the ball leaves the bat. We call them Cub Fans.

I agree, during my last game there was this guy and his girlfriend/wife behind me and he routinely yelled "that's kissed!" or "It's gone!" on routine flyballs. It got pretty annoying after a few short flies, especially since the Sox were down big (A's game)

If you can't judge the ball off the bat, at least keep your eye on the outfielders to see how hard it was hit!!

Regarding all the bandwagon jumpers, while it can be annoying I am ver happy that the Sox are drawing better. This only means the KW will probably have more $$$ to spend next year, if needed. Personally, I plan on getting the weekend package next year and landing a few front row seats in the the outfield or upper deck.

scottjanssens
07-20-2005, 10:24 AM
I about cried. And not because of the terrible outcome of the game. Through the first five innings of the game, I think I saw about 20 pitches. I have never seen so many people up and down, up and down, up and down, up and down.

A lot of this depends on where you sit. I sit in the front of a section behind home plate that's mostly season ticket holders. Those who attend many games know the etiquette of waiting between pitches before quickly getting to their seat.

My seat is on the aisle so I can actually exercise some control. If the pitcher is about to wind up, I tell anyone wanting me to move to wait until after the pitch. If someone isn't moving quickly enough I tell them to hurry.

alohafri
07-20-2005, 10:28 AM
The Aloha's were at the game too. I was getting annoyed by the vendors too--the nice ones will sit or try to stay out of your line of sight, but it seems to be getting bad lately.

I don't think the cheering for routine fly balls is as bad as it is at scrub games. The only time people seem to get overly excited is when Big Frank hits one--it's sometimes hard to tell if it's going to stay in the park. But mostly people quiet down pretty quickly when a [routine] fly ball is hit.

I don't mind if there are bandwagon fans there. The ones that get my goat (no pun intended) are the scrub fans in full regalia--hat and stupid blue shirt and sometimes pants too who come to cheer for the opposition and generally are pretty obnoxious.

At least no one tried to start the wave!

----Mrs. Aloha

chisoxfanatic
07-20-2005, 10:39 AM
I was in Section 118, and a few sections to my right, WHILE JUAN URIBE WAS AT THE PLATE, about 10 or so rows in one section stand up and start singing "Happy birthday" to one of their friends in their group.

*** is that?!?! There's a GAME going on...Do that between innings if all!!!

Rocky Soprano
07-20-2005, 10:46 AM
I got a hold of some awesome seats, I was was in section 123 (right behind visitors dugout). A guy in the section right next to us caught a ball and right away handed it to a young kid. So it was nice to see that.

I saw that birthday group, pretty stupid to do it during the game.

TornLabrum
07-20-2005, 10:51 AM
Maybe we should get together and Write one of those "For Dummies" books on Baseball etiquette?

Or just print the last two "Fallen Arches" columns?

TornLabrum
07-20-2005, 10:55 AM
The Aloha's were at the game too. I was getting annoyed by the vendors too--the nice ones will sit or try to stay out of your line of sight, but it seems to be getting bad lately.

I don't think the cheering for routine fly balls is as bad as it is at scrub games. The only time people seem to get overly excited is when Big Frank hits one--it's sometimes hard to tell if it's going to stay in the park. But mostly people quiet down pretty quickly when a [routine] fly ball is hit.

I don't mind if there are bandwagon fans there. The ones that get my goat (no pun intended) are the scrub fans in full regalia--hat and stupid blue shirt and sometimes pants too who come to cheer for the opposition and generally are pretty obnoxious.

At least no one tried to start the wave!

----Mrs. Aloha

Two points:

1) When I talked to Aloha last night, he asked, "Why the **** are there so many Cubs fans here?" I don't get it either. My response was, "They probably want to see a good team."

2) Oh, somebody did try to start the wave. There were about three people 4-5 rows below us that tried three or four times. They stopped when I yelled, "Sit down, morons!"

miker
07-20-2005, 10:57 AM
Would the Sox let true fans bring a megaphone to the game so we could "address" some of the more obnoxious violations?

How about a Taser(tm)?

GoGoSoxReborn
07-20-2005, 10:57 AM
I was in Section 118, and a few sections to my right, WHILE JUAN URIBE WAS AT THE PLATE, about 10 or so rows in one section stand up and start singing "Happy birthday" to one of their friends in their group.

I was in 119 my initial response. ***?!?!? Are we at Wrigley?

bumptious96
07-20-2005, 10:59 AM
sorry to change the subject, but what was i hallucinating or did i see an attempt at the wave at the Monday night game? I was watching it on tv and thought i saw sections behind homeplate doing the wave. can anyone else confirm this?

TornLabrum
07-20-2005, 11:00 AM

After the seventh inning stretch some OF decided to make his stretch a little longer as he was engaged in what must have been a riveting conversation with the guy next to him. Both were standing until several people, myself included shouted for them to sit down. One of them did, but not the guy in my line of sight. After yelling at him through about four pitches, he finally parked his butt where it belonged.

Oh, but not for long. In the eighth inning he decided he needed a cigarette. He stood up with his pack, but the conversation still continued as again he blocked my view. Again he was totally oblivious to those of us yelling at him to sit down or go have his smoke.

Right before that, however, which made me doubly angry, some clown came down the aisle talking on his cell phone. He decided to stop right in front of me. When I said, "Could you move, please?" he gave me a look as if he had no idea what I might be upset about. ****ing idiots.

kevingrt
07-20-2005, 11:09 AM
After the seventh inning stretch some OF decided to make his stretch a little longer as he was engaged in what must have been a riveting conversation with the guy next to him. Both were standing until several people, myself included shouted for them to sit down. One of them did, but not the guy in my line of sight. After yelling at him through about four pitches, he finally parked his butt where it belonged.

Oh, but not for long. In the eighth inning he decided he needed a cigarette. He stood up with his pack, but the conversation still continued as again he blocked my view. Again he was totally oblivious to those of us yelling at him to sit down or go have his smoke.

Right before that, however, which made me doubly angry, some clown came down the aisle talking on his cell phone. He decided to stop right in front of me. When I said, "Could you move, please?" he gave me a look as if he had no idea what I might be upset about. ****ing idiots.

See the thing is there are idiots around the world, a lot of them. I bet some even reside at this lovely home, WSI, unfortunately. However it seemed like last night many of them congregated at The Cell. The upper deck down the far left field line was not bad at all. Despite the not greatest seats in the stadium, no one was obnoxious or anything. Oh well, it coulda been worse. Well not really the Sox got creamed as well.

Brian26
07-20-2005, 12:44 PM

I agree with you 100% about everything you wrote above.

I've noticed that, generally, as you go higher up in the seats, the less attention is being paid to the action on the field. I sat in the upper deck last night, and it's just incredible how many idiots are there to socialize, party, bs, etc. People don't pay attention to the game. And you're absolutely correct, it's up and down, up and down all night for some people.

Brian26
07-20-2005, 12:47 PM
See the thing is there are idiots around the world, a lot of them. I bet some even reside at this lovely home, WSI, unfortunately. However it seemed like last night many of them congregated at The Cell. The upper deck down the far left field line was not bad at all. Despite the not greatest seats in the stadium, no one was obnoxious or anything. Oh well, it coulda been worse. Well not really the Sox got creamed as well.

Interesting- this is where I sat last night. I saw plenty of obnoxious people. Most of it was centered around the three whores in the left field corner who were waving down to Marte in the bullpen and pretending like they were going to lift up their tops....followed immediately by the 400 pound 19 -year old punk kid and his three friends who had to bully their way down to talk to them as soon as they noticed the chicks. And then there was the almost-fight between the Maggio bashers in the front row and some Tiger fans after the "Oh-E-Oh, Fagglio" chants started.

PatK
07-20-2005, 12:49 PM
Mondays and Tuesdays are days where the park is full of Cubs fans.

scottjanssens
07-20-2005, 12:53 PM
Most of it was centered around the three whores in the left field corner who were waving down to Marte in the bullpen and pretending like they were going to lift up their tops.

You say this like it's a bad thing.

(Is there a color for half serious, half sarcastic?)

SouthSideHitman
07-20-2005, 12:54 PM
My dad went to the game and he had a similar experience. He was behind a group of 18 people in their late/early 20s who were there for a birthday party and he said it terrible. They were constantly up and down during innings going for beer, talking loudly, not watching the game and towards the end started talking loudly on their cell phones with people elsewhere in the park and standing up to look for them for minutes at a time. Thus is the price of sucess I guess - you have to deal with people attracted to the park for "coolness" and not "baseball".

russ99
07-20-2005, 01:06 PM
sorry to change the subject, but what was i hallucinating or did i see an attempt at the wave at the Monday night game? I was watching it on tv and thought i saw sections behind homeplate doing the wave. can anyone else confirm this?

Oh yeah - there was a huge wave on Monday in all 3 outdoor levels (I was in club level). I was a little annoyed, but since this was after the awesome 7th inning comeback, I chilled out and let the drunken bandwagoners have their fun. It peaked during Frank's HR at-bat.

BTW - I took my first trip to Fundamentals (in the bottom of the 7th!) and it's a lot of fun for kids, and also the view of the field is exceptional for the adults. All 3 homers were hit directly below me! :)

maurice
07-20-2005, 01:20 PM
Repeat after me:
"DOWN IN FRONT!"

On the rare occasion that this fails to work after two yells, the idiot has fair warning. Feel free to resort to more extreme tactics.