PDA

View Full Version : When do playoff rosters have to be set?

Heffalump
07-20-2005, 09:23 AM
I know its way to early to be talking about it, but what is the cutoff date for setting the playoff roster?

anewman35
07-20-2005, 09:31 AM
I know its way to early to be talking about it, but what is the cutoff date for setting the playoff roster?

You don't have to actually set the playoff roster until just before the playoffs (and you can change it each round). To be on the playoff roster, a player officially has to be on the roster as of August 31st, but lots of teams use the DL to get around that (IIRC, some teams have put a player who was on the DL onto the playoff roster, which allows them to then choose any other player to replace them).

Heffalump
07-20-2005, 10:09 AM
You don't have to actually set the playoff roster until just before the playoffs (and you can change it each round). To be on the playoff roster, a player officially has to be on the roster as of August 31st, but lots of teams use the DL to get around that (IIRC, some teams have put a player who was on the DL onto the playoff roster, which allows them to then choose any other player to replace them).

Thanks man !

GoGoSoxReborn
07-20-2005, 10:26 AM
How many players can you have on the playoff roster?

Heffalump
07-20-2005, 10:29 AM
How many players can you have on the playoff roster?

I believe it is a regular 25 man team. I was confused with the expansion of the rosters on Sept. 1. I thought that there was a set date that you had to pick all of your players that would be eligible for the playoffs.

SoXPriDe33
09-04-2005, 08:14 PM
What 25 guys are most likely to be on the Playoff Roster for the White Sox heading into the ALDS?

chisoxfanatic
09-04-2005, 08:20 PM
What 25 guys are most likely to be on the Playoff Roster for the White Sox heading into the ALDS?

I wouldn't be surprised if either Vizcaino or Marte were tossed, since either El Duque or Contreras will be put into the bullpen, giving us a chance to increase our bench.

OzzieBall2005
09-04-2005, 09:16 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if either Vizcaino or Marte were tossed, since either El Duque or Contreras will be put into the bullpen, giving us a chance to increase our bench.

Who would you say gets that extra bench spot?

Ol' No. 2
09-04-2005, 10:15 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if either Vizcaino or Marte were tossed, since either El Duque or Contreras will be put into the bullpen, giving us a chance to increase our bench.No chance Ozzie goes into the playoffs with only one lefty in the pen. My guess for playoff roster:

Pitchers: Buehrle, Garland, Garcia, Hernandez, Contreras, Hermanson, Politte, Cotts, Jenks, Marte, Vizcaino

Starters: Podsednik, Rowand, Dye, Crede, Uribe, Iguchi, Konerko, Pierzynski, Everett

Bench: Widger, Blum, Ozuna, Harris, Perez

McCarthy is the only other pitcher eligible, but I don't think he'll bump anyone I've listed. Ozzie still hasn't forgiven Gload for running over his cat or whatever he did, but they sure could use his bat on the bench.

Then, of course, there's Frank Thomas.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-04-2005, 10:54 PM

With the caveat that the player was on the 40 man on Sept 1.

Ol' No. 2
09-04-2005, 11:42 PM
With the caveat that the player was on the 40 man on Sept 1.Question for anyone who knows: Frank Thomas was moved to the 60-day DL on Sept 1, so they can replace him with anyone on the 40-man roster. Is that replacement irrevocable? That is, if they replace him with Gload for the ALDS, for example, does Thomas lose any eligibility to play in later rounds?

Daver
09-04-2005, 11:59 PM
Question for anyone who knows: Frank Thomas was moved to the 60-day DL on Sept 1, so they can replace him with anyone on the 40-man roster. Is that replacement irrevocable? That is, if they replace him with Gload for the ALDS, for example, does Thomas lose any eligibility to play in later rounds?

By being on the sixty day disabled list as of Sept. first he is done till the end of Oct.

Ol' No. 2
09-05-2005, 12:07 AM
By being on the sixty day disabled list as of Sept. first he is done till the end of Oct.Are you sure? It was made retroactive to July 21. Why would they make it retroactive if he was ineligible for the rest of the season anyway?

Daver
09-05-2005, 12:11 AM
Are you sure? It was made retroactive to July 21. Why would they make it retroactive if he was ineligible for the rest of the season anyway?

I was not aware it was retroctive to July.

It's really a moot point anyway, he is in a walking cast.

Ol' No. 2
09-05-2005, 12:15 AM
I was not aware it was retroctive to July.

It's really a moot point anyway, he is in a walking cast.More than likely. It just keeps alive the deep, deep pink fantasy of Frank hitting a Kirk Gibson-like HR in the Series.