PDA

View Full Version : Is The Cell A Wi-Fi HotSpot?

DrCrawdad
07-20-2005, 02:21 AM
Ok, I don't have a laptop nor any device to connect to the net that I could carry with me to The Cell, but I was just wondering if The Cell had wireless connectivity.

I seem to remember that the Giants (relatively) new park had Wi-Fi installed. Just curious about The Cell.

DuckSnort
07-20-2005, 02:23 AM
Interesting, could bring the laptop to the game and do live PBP for WSI chat :o: :D:

SOXintheBURGH
07-20-2005, 07:48 AM
I guess thats kinda neat and all.. but wouldn't you rather want to watch the Sox game instead of going to www.theheckler.com (http://www.theheckler.com)?

TomBradley72
07-20-2005, 09:21 AM
This would be a good marketing tool to get visiting business people to visit the Cell...especially week day afternoon/evening games.

DrCrawdad
07-20-2005, 09:46 AM
I got thinking about Wi-Fi connectivity at The Cell when I read this on Scott Reifort's blog: (http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/)

Missing Me
I apologize for falling short this weekend with updates. Things were busy and my wireless card did not make it into my briefcase for the trip home. I do appreciate that some of you were concerned about my health/whereabouts, or at least pretended to be ... thanks.

scottjanssens
07-20-2005, 09:54 AM
If they had wi-fi I'd liveblog the game. I'd be surprised if they did otherwise they'd be advertising the fact. I'm sure most parks will provide wi-fi in the next few years.

voodoochile
07-20-2005, 09:56 AM
Someone should e-mail Brooks Boyer with the suggestion and no, I'm not joking...

itsnotrequired
07-20-2005, 10:03 AM
This would be a good marketing tool to get visiting business people to visit the Cell...especially week day afternoon/evening games.

Business people would be a great target. Companies could come to the ballpark in the afternoon, meet in the meeting rooms to conduct their business and then stay for the game. Even if they don't stay for the game, I'm sure this would still be a great way to generate some additional revenue.

The Racehorse
07-20-2005, 10:11 AM
If the Cell did have connectivity, it'd be pretty neat to be on-line at the game...

Talk about multi-tasking through the roof... keep up with the action, drink a beer, keep score, grab some some churros, provide commentary in the chat room, work the digital camera/upload pics in game day thread, watch for foul balls, empty the bladder... *whew* :redneck

DrCrawdad
07-20-2005, 10:15 AM
Someone should e-mail Brooks Boyer with the suggestion and no, I'm not joking...

I imagine there are potential drawbacks, as there is with just about everything, but there is an opportunity for a bit of added revenue and just another feature for The Cell.

ZachAL
07-20-2005, 10:16 AM
Am I the only one who thinks this is a bad idea? I mean everyone here complains about people being on their cellphones at games (and they dont seem to care if it's business people or not), better yet the internet. You can always look up player stats before the game, and do we really need live updated stats to do that? I mean you can figure out yourself from the stats you bring to the game. The last thing I want is for us to attract more yuppies who arent paying attention to the game, like San Fran seems to be aiming for with their wireless park.

GoGoSoxReborn
07-20-2005, 10:22 AM
I agree with you on this one. It would be nice, but would ultimately take away from the ball game. I know I would be distracted if someone next to me was sending company emails during the game. Perhaps a solution would be to make the fan deck, or patio area wireless? Something along those lines.

chisoxfan64
07-20-2005, 10:24 AM
Am I the only one who thinks this is a bad idea? I mean everyone here complains about people being on their cellphones at games (and they dont seem to care if it's business people or not), better yet the internet. You can always look up player stats before the game, and do we really need live updated stats to do that? I mean you can figure out yourself from the stats you bring to the game. The last thing I want is for us to attract more yuppies who arent paying attention to the game, like San Fran seems to be aiming for with their wireless park.

Couldn`t have said it any better myself. Instead of talking on cell phone waving at camera, people will be waving at themselves on their laptops.

How did we ever survive, we used to have to go to games with no phones, no laptops, not a single luxury. They made us sit there and watch the game.

cleanwsox
07-20-2005, 10:25 AM

Might as well have some drop down laptop trays on the back of all those new green seats to go along with the newly installed touch screen LCD's and power generators.

The Racehorse
07-20-2005, 10:33 AM

Hardcore fans [like us] want everyone to appreciate the game by paying attention and to know the game to a certain level, which heightens the enjoyment for everyone. But guess what? That's not going to happen.

My view is you can never hold back technology.

Btw, my previous post was tongue-in-cheek because I don't see myself hauling my laptop & accessories to a game... but if someone sitting next to me was doing it, I think it'd be pretty cool.

voodoochile
07-20-2005, 10:55 AM
Hardcore fans [like us] want everyone to appreciate the game by paying attention and to know the game to a certain level, which heightens the enjoyment for everyone. But guess what? That's not going to happen.

My view is you can never hold back technology.

Btw, my previous post was tongue-in-cheek because I don't see myself hauling my laptop & accessories to a game... but if someone sitting next to me was doing it, I think it'd be pretty cool.

How cool would it be for people to be able to upload pictures from the Cell during the game to WSI?

Not everyone is going to be diehard. If you expect to be able to draw 40K diehard fans to every game, you are in for a rude awakening. You need to appeal to the casual fan if you want to fill the park and take in more revenue.

FielderJones
07-20-2005, 10:55 AM
Interesting, could bring the laptop to the game and do live PBP for WSI chat :o: :D:

:farmer (misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=5#)
The pictures, descriptions, and accounts of this game may not be

:rooney (misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=5#)
disseminated

:farmer (misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=5#)
without the expressed written consent of Major League Baseball.

:tongue:

The Racehorse
07-20-2005, 11:40 AM
How cool would it be for people to be able to upload pictures from the Cell during the game to WSI?
On the scene bloggers... the wave of the future? :D:

LVSoxFan
07-20-2005, 11:41 AM
Why in God's name anybody would need a laptop in the crowd is beyond me.

voodoochile
07-20-2005, 11:58 AM
Why in God's name anybody would need a laptop in the crowd is beyond me.

You are missing the wave of the future - Blackberrys and Treos are handheld computers with camera, Internet access and built in keyboard. It'a a computer that fits in the palm of your hand...

But, many people come from work and would have their laptop with them if they took the L. Heck, many people might go to the game and continue working while watching. Not like baseball is an every second of the time event. There is maybe 30 minutes or less of actual action in a 3 hour game.

LVSoxFan
07-20-2005, 12:06 PM
I guess. I wouldn't be toting my laptop into the stands, though, with all that beer and stuff flying around.

Maybe in the UD. I dunno.

miker
07-20-2005, 12:10 PM
If it isn't there now, it will probably happen in the future, which means more "bad fan behavior" threads at WSI!

kevingrt
07-20-2005, 12:13 PM
I imagine there are potential drawbacks, as there is with just about everything, but there is an opportunity for a bit of added revenue and just another feature for The Cell.

Like somehow trying to put the computer down while trying to catch a foul ball... or crazy people running up and down the aisles and you having to protect your computer. The whole multi-tasking thing would be pretty skillful though.

DrCrawdad
07-20-2005, 12:13 PM
You are missing the wave of the future - Blackberrys and Treos are handheld computers with camera, Internet access and built in keyboard. It'a a computer that fits in the palm of your hand...

But, many people come from work and would have their laptop with them if they took the L. Heck, many people might go to the game and continue working while watching. Not like baseball is an every second of the time event. There is maybe 30 minutes or less of actual action in a 3 hour game.

I doubt I'd bring a laptop to a game, if I had a laptop. But as you've said, some people have laptops or other devices that use Wi-Fi, may as well cater to them. Of course if the Sox did begin offering Wi-Fi they, and us Sox fans, would have to endure ridicule from the media and Cubbie fans. Then in a few years the Cubbies would install Wi-Fi and we'd hear how cool they are for doing it, ie lights, canned music, LED boards, advertising, etc.

ode to veeck
07-20-2005, 12:17 PM
Interesting question, I wonder if they have hard LAN or WiFi available for at least the press

Randar68
07-20-2005, 12:34 PM
They have Wi-Fi at Ernie Shore Field in Winston-Salem. It's freakin great. Can take my laptop, stay updated, put my notes and score the game live and right on my laptop, no need to transcribe them later...

I love it, but it would never be as useful for me at a Sox game...

ZachAL
07-20-2005, 07:47 PM
So I guess there arent as many purists responding to this. Voodoo, when you speak of appeasing the casual fan I would agree on some points, but then I find it hippocritical for people on here to criticize these same "casual fans" for throwing homeruns balls back onto the field (which i agree belongs at wrigley). They're casual fans though so dont get mad at them, let's appease them and let them have a good time. I also find it hippocritical that people constantly argue about "casual fans" being on their cellphones at the game and not paying attention, yet they want them to have computers. If people want to type in to their blog while at the game and miss the action then that is their decision, I for one prefer to occupy my hands with a Kosher Dog in one and a baseball glove on the other. Who's with me?!

jdm2662
07-20-2005, 08:23 PM
IF you are a reporter, it would be great. However, for me, it would do no good. I sit in front of a computer like ten hours a day. Getting away from it is nice.
________
Bondage Tickling (http://www.****tube.com/categories/406/tickling/videos/1)

voodoochile
07-20-2005, 10:09 PM
So I guess there arent as many purists responding to this. Voodoo, when you speak of appeasing the casual fan I would agree on some points, but then I find it hippocritical for people on here to criticize these same "casual fans" for throwing homeruns balls back onto the field (which i agree belongs at wrigley). They're casual fans though so dont get mad at them, let's appease them and let them have a good time. I also find it hippocritical that people constantly argue about "casual fans" being on their cellphones at the game and not paying attention, yet they want them to have computers. If people want to type in to their blog while at the game and miss the action then that is their decision, I for one prefer to occupy my hands with a Kosher Dog in one and a baseball glove on the other. Who's with me?!

My objection to throwing HR balls back has nothing to do with the casual fan. I think if you are going to throw it back, you should give it to a kid instead - or as I have been known to yell... "Throw it to me." Some kid actually threw back a Bonds HR a few years ago. It was number 600-something. That ball is probably worth $10K at auction TODAY. Can you imagine having a certified Babe Ruth or Hank Aaron HR ball today?

Yes, there have to be more casual fans going to Sox games because casual fans raise diehard fans by taking them to those same games at a young age.

I want the Sox to make more money. That way they can spend more money and still make Uncle Jerry happy. The flubbies managed to bring out the casual fan and now they can afford a $100M payroll and still make money hand over fist. How cool would that be?

jabrch
07-20-2005, 10:17 PM
I want the Sox to make more money. That way they can spend more money and still make Uncle Jerry happy.

Ok - now who kidnapped Voodoo?

:-)

Bucky F. Dent
07-21-2005, 09:42 AM

Absolutely! BAD IDEA! Turn off the laptop and the cell phone and watch the game!

Scotty347
07-21-2005, 04:00 PM
Wi-Fi is not just for laptops. I've got a Dell Axim handheld (same size as a Blackberry for comparison sake) with full color screen, bluetooth and Wi-Fi. It would be cool to use the Wi-Fi to browse stats or scores during the games and sure wouldn't be as "silly" as having a laptop with me. The Sox could have the whole ballpark set for wireless for less than $5000 (including the signs promoting it). Probably even half of that.

Its a cool idea and would be inexpensive to implement.