PDA

View Full Version : Help please - question from a dumb limey

SoxEd
07-19-2005, 05:28 PM
Please excuse my ignorance (I'm pleading Diminished Culpability due to Nationality on this one), but how come NYY's closer Mariano Rivera gets to wear No. 42?

I thought the whole of the Majors retired it to honour Jackie Robinson.
Even the NYY website lists it as retired, although their roster also lists Rivera as No. 42 (and, annoyingly for me, doesn't explain why he's wearing it).

¿Que pasa?

dcb33
07-19-2005, 05:39 PM
Becuase when they retired #42 in 1997 they gave players with that number the option to be keep it. Rivera is the only player left still wearing #42.

J Co
07-19-2005, 05:41 PM
My understanding is that since he was already wearing the number when it was retired a few years ago, he was given a 'grandfather' exemption to wear it. Once he retires, no one else will be allowed to wear it.

At least that's what I heard while watching a Yankee game last year...

SoxEd
07-19-2005, 06:02 PM
Ah, splendid - makes sense now.

Thanks.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

mantis1212
07-19-2005, 06:09 PM
I believe Mo Vaughn was also wearing it after it was retired. When he makes his comeback he probably can put it back on.

Iwritecode
07-20-2005, 11:10 AM
Speaking of Rivera...

Has anyone heard Gammons gushing about how the Yankees have had the "best closer in baseball" the past 10 years? I've heard him say it at least 3 times in the past week.

It really suprises me because there was a closer in Boston that was just a little bit better last year. Come to think of it, there was a time that he was pretty damn good in Chicago as well.

Rivera is the one that seems to have a habit of blowing big post-season games these past few years...

MUScholar21
07-20-2005, 11:18 AM
Speaking of Rivera...

Has anyone heard Gammons gushing about how the Yankees have had the "best closer in baseball" the past 10 years? I've heard him say it at least 3 times in the past week.

It really suprises me because there was a closer in Boston that was just a little bit better last year. Come to think of it, there was a time that he was pretty damn good in Chicago as well.

Rivera is the one that seems to have a habit of blowing big post-season games these past few years...

No one really has been as consistent as Rivera has. If you look at it, no closer has been on a successful team AND maintained their numbers at the level Rivera has. Typically, closers have a two or three year run, and then all of a sudden can't do it. While Rivera has started to slide of late (last year's ALCS being a good example) he is still one of the few shutdown closers in baseball.

And believe me, I hate saying that more than you can believe.

GoGoSoxReborn
07-20-2005, 11:19 AM
It pains me to say it, but Gammons is probably correct on this one. Rivera has been incredible over the past 10 years, and he has pretty much done it all with one pitch. Look at all the closers who have come and gone in the time he has been closing games for the Yankees.

Foulke isn't even closing anymore this year. Gange has fallen off from his miraculous season two years ago. Hell, look where Billy Koch is now.

Rivera has had an absolutely amazing career in the closer role, and few in the entire game of baseball have matched his success.

Tekijawa
07-20-2005, 11:20 AM
Same reason that B.J. Armstrong got to keep 10... he was already wearing it before it was retired.

fquaye149
07-20-2005, 12:29 PM
also - who was that dude in the NHL like 5-10 years back who didn't have to wear a facemask because he was around before the rule went into effect?

I always thought THAT was crazy

EastCoastSoxFan
07-20-2005, 12:33 PM
also - who was that dude in the NHL like 5-10 years back who didn't have to wear a facemask because he was around before the rule went into effect?

I always thought THAT was crazy
Craig MacTavish, as I recall, was the last NHL player who didn't wear a helmet...