PDA

View Full Version : Questions on playoff pitching scenario

GoGoSoxReborn
07-19-2005, 04:16 PM
I have a few questions about the pitching scenarios in the post season. (Assuming the Sox make the post season) I believe the first series is still the best of 5, I believe the scenario would go something along these lines for the first series.

Game 1 Home Buehrle
Game 2 Home Garland
(Day off for travel)
Game 3 Away Garcia
Game 4 Away Contreras/El Duque
(Day off for travel)
Game 5 Home Buehrle ???

If this setup is correct the price of another starter just does not seem worth the cost, unless its Roger Clemens. What would make more sense to me would be adding another solid bullpen arm (Wagner, Guardado or others that have been mentioned) and throwing one of the possible combinations of McCarthy/Duque/Contraras in the bullpen, and then ride it out from there and hope Pods gets the offense cooking with gas.

What does everyone else think? Someone please correct me if this setup is way off and i have it wrong.

White Sox Josh
07-19-2005, 04:18 PM
I have a few questions about the pitching scenarios in the post season. (Assuming the Sox make the post season) I believe the first series is still the best of 5, I believe the scenario would go something along these lines for the first series.

Game 1 Home Buehrle
Game 2 Home Garland
(Day off for travel)
Game 3 Away Garcia
(Day off for travel)
Game 5 Home Buehrle ???

If this setup is correct the price of another starter just does not seem worth the cost, unless its Roger Clemens. What would make more sense to me would be adding another solid bullpen arm (Wagner, Guardado or others that have been mentioned) and throwing one of the possible combinations of McCarthy/Duque/Contraras in the bullpen, and then ride it out from there and hope Pods gets the offense cooking with gas.

What does everyone else think? Someone please correct me if this setup is way off and i have it wrong.El Duque will be in the Rotation. The reason they got him was because he is lights out in the playoffs. You got it pretty much right on though.

havelj
07-19-2005, 05:04 PM
If there is a day game - gotta go with Freddie!

FielderJones
07-19-2005, 06:22 PM
If there is a day game - gotta go with Freddie!

In the ALDS they're all going to be day games. Night games are for East Coast teams.

A_ROW33
07-19-2005, 06:26 PM
In the ALDS they're all going to be day games. Night games are for East Coast teams.

It depends if an east coast team wins the wild card, but even then we should play at least one day game, I remember the Yankees had to play one a year or two ago and were pissed. They can't broadcast both the Yanks and red sox in primetime on the same night can they?

A_ROW33
07-19-2005, 06:29 PM
Another point, just because you acquire a guy as a starter you do not have to use him as a starter in the playoffs, you can acquire a guy for the stretch run as a starter, and then when it comes to the playoffs if he is bumped out of the rotation you can use him from the pen. Or you could use contreras and el duque from the pen.

kojak
07-19-2005, 06:55 PM
Typically you get only one off day in a Best-of-Five series. Which is good because if Buehrle had to go in a Game 5, he would be on his normal 4 days rest instead of 5. But in that scenario, if there were 2 days between the ALDS and ALCS then a rotation might look like this:

Game 1 Home Garland
Game 2 Home El Duque
off day
Game 3 Away Buehrle
Game 4 Away Garcia
Game 5 Away Garland
off day
Game 6 Home El Duque
Game 7 Home Buehrle

Then repeat the same order for the World Series.

This is ideal because we have Buehrle and Garland each going twice with Freddie going twice on the road, where he has been lights out, day or night.

samram
07-19-2005, 07:05 PM

Game 1 Home Buehrle
Game 2 Home Garland
(Day off for travel)
Game 3 Away Garcia
(Day off for travel)
Game 5 Home Buehrle ???

What does everyone else think? Someone please correct me if this setup is way off and i have it wrong.

See, this year I don't want any hoping or "riding it out." I think the Sox should be in the best position possible to win the World Series, not hoping that uncertainties fall into place. So far, so good, this season, but if getting another front-line starter solidifies that fourth spot, I think they have to do it.

Lip Man 1
07-20-2005, 12:08 AM
Let's win the division first...worry about this in mid September. Trades and or injuries could change a lot of think tanks with two and a half months to go.

Lip

batmanZoSo
07-20-2005, 04:33 AM
Yes, in any series the only off days are in between changes of ballpark. It's not like basketball where you simply can't always play consecutive days. All these ballplayers just stand around all day. :D: The fourth starter is very important, it's only the fifth that gets cut off in October. I love the idea of getting another ace-type starter in here because it gives you that smidge of insurance if/when one of your top three lays an egg out there. If your ace gets smacked around then you have a guy in the fourth slot that might get bombed at any time, it's gonna be nerve-racking. And a precarious situation. :o: I'll take all the help we can get.

downstairs
07-20-2005, 09:02 AM
Another point, just because you acquire a guy as a starter you do not have to use him as a starter in the playoffs, you can acquire a guy for the stretch run as a starter, and then when it comes to the playoffs if he is bumped out of the rotation you can use him from the pen. Or you could use contreras and el duque from the pen.

Absolutely. That's why the secret to the playoffs is pitching, pitching, pitching, and pitching.

Remember Randy Johnson's most memorable and needed win was..... drumroll.... from the bullpen.

chisoxmike
07-20-2005, 06:59 PM
Let's win the division first...worry about this in mid September. Trades and or injuries could change a lot of think tanks with two and a half months to go.

Lip

Thank you. The Sox are now entering the toughest part of the season starting with tomorrows game vs. Red Sox and going through the month of August. I'm not saying there is going to be a total collaspe, but I highly doubt that there is going to be a double digit lead at the end of August.

ChiSoxRowand
07-20-2005, 10:26 PM

Game 1 Home Buehrle
Game 2 Home Garland
(Day off for travel)
Game 3 Away Garcia
(Day off for travel)
Game 5 Home Buehrle ???

You have pretty much everything right. But there is never an off day between games 4 and 5. There is always one series each year where there is an off day between games 1 and 2 and between games 3 and 4. Last year that series was in the NL (Cards-Dodgers), so this year it will be in the AL. We could very well get that series.