PDA

View Full Version : Sox scouting Guardado

otis
07-19-2005, 01:33 PM
From what I have heard, the Sox have been scouting Eddie Guardado. They are looking to get an end of game bullpen guy who wouldn't demand to be the exclusive closer. I also heard that Jenks might be showcased for any such trade.

That's all I know and will post anything else I hear.

CHIsoxNation
07-19-2005, 01:35 PM
source?

Tekijawa
07-19-2005, 01:36 PM
From what I have heard, the Sox have been scouting Eddie Guardado. They are looking to get an end of game bullpen guy who wouldn't demand to be the exclusive closer. I also heard that Jenks might be showcased for any such trade.

That's all I know and will post anything else I hear.

I love Otis and his 3 times a year posts! They're always so good! and usually all around this time of year!

Thanks Otis!

Sad
07-19-2005, 01:37 PM
I think it's safe to say they're looking at more than just Guardado... wait & see...

Deuce
07-19-2005, 01:38 PM
source?

Otis is the source.

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-19-2005, 01:39 PM
source?
He won't give out any information like that, but for those who weren't around in 2003, otis posted information on the whole Magglio/Nomar/ARod deal that nearly happened weeks before it was reported in the media.

Deuce
07-19-2005, 01:42 PM
He won't give out any information like that, but for those who weren't around in 2003, otis posted information on the whole Magglio/Nomar/ARod deal that nearly happened weeks before it was reported in the media.

He was also the one to call it DOA when it fell apart, well before the media knew. He has got the goods, and thats good enough for me.

Deuce

IlliniSox

Otis is the man, thanks Otis.

Jerko
WSI was the source July 6.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53621&highlight=guardado

Deuce
07-19-2005, 01:44 PM
WSI was the source July 6.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53621&highlight=guardado

SCOOPED!!! Just for that Otis, you have to deliver some really tantalizing stuff! :redneck

Kogs35
07-19-2005, 01:49 PM
thanks otis

Lip Man 1
07-19-2005, 01:49 PM
Given Hermanson's back situation (what is it with backs and the White Sox???) I'd imagine they are looking for help. Jenks is unreliable and with Dustin out, the bullpen is very short right now. Even Ozzie said today if Politte can't do the job (close) they have to get someone.

Lip

mr_genius
07-19-2005, 01:51 PM
i wonder if Kenny has given up on getting another starter

SOXBOY
07-19-2005, 02:05 PM
Otis thanks for info please keep us posted.

anewman35
07-19-2005, 02:07 PM
i wonder if Kenny has given up on getting another starter

Why do we need another starter?

CHIsoxNation
07-19-2005, 02:09 PM

Oh ok, I was just making sure. That's good to hear! Thanks Otis

soltrain21
07-19-2005, 02:10 PM
Otis knows someone in the Red Sawx organization. HE IS THE SOURCE!

I will take everyday Eddie. Thanks for the info, Otis.

nodiggity59
07-19-2005, 02:11 PM
To my surprise, Eddie's having a fine season:

1.69 ERA
21SV 1BS
.197 BAA
32 IP
27 SO
6BB
.91 WHIP

Look like All Star #s to me :rolleyes:

I say we get him. Jenks plus Adkins/Diaz? Eddie's making $4mil this year, not sure about beyond that.

07-19-2005, 02:14 PM
I'm sorry, don't run me out of town, but I'm bot a big believer in Otis...sorry Otis...I missed the 2003 call which I will admit was a good one....but I was here for the CC Sabathia and Ben Sheets call....and the Frank Cat (not even going to try to spell it) and Hariston call....Make me a believer because I'd like to have the Big Chulupa down the stretch

mr_genius
07-19-2005, 02:15 PM
Why do we need another starter?

because el duque won't last the rest of the season.

and don't give me any of that "MCCARTHY IS THE ANSWER! YIPEE!" crap

balke
07-19-2005, 02:25 PM
32 IP, 1.69 ERA, lefty. He's good, probably comes cheaper than Wagner. If that's the case, and Wagner will mean giving up much better prospects, I'd rather take Guardado.

balke
07-19-2005, 02:29 PM

Our magic # is 59. Although home field advantage would be nice, 5th starter isn't THAT big of a problem. We could probably get there with Mccarthy losing every 5th day, the way the front 4 have pitched. Heck, we won with Mccarthy already. Right now, Sox should be looking at bullpen help. If that means adding Lilly as a starter, and moving someone to the bullpen, so be it. But, as has been said all season, a lights out lefty to fill out the bullpen rotation would make the Sox 100% playoff ready.

tstrike2000
07-19-2005, 02:32 PM
Given Hermanson's back situation (what is it with backs and the White Sox???) I'd imagine they are looking for help. Jenks is unreliable and with Dustin out, the bullpen is very short right now. Even Ozzie said today if Politte can't do the job (close) they have to get someone.

Lip

This is very true, but I still think a starting pitcher is a bigger priority.

nodiggity59
07-19-2005, 02:34 PM
To me, we need Eddie and a super sub like Freel or Polanco just in case Crede/Uribe go off the deep and really blow. Maybe Cintron as well. Guys like that tend to want to start though.

It would have to be one of those three or someone like them: a decent sub who plays the infield and has some pop. Getting Graff, for instance, is not much different from Pablo.

maurice
07-19-2005, 02:36 PM
Welcome back, otis.

We don't need a pitcher, but that puts KW in the driver's seat to go out a get an upgrade at the top of the rotation or in the pen. A guy like Guardado qualifies; Lilly does not.

MIgrenade
07-19-2005, 02:41 PM
This is very true, but I still think a starting pitcher is a bigger priority.

Why? In the playoffs you don't need 5 starters, you need 3 and a great bullpen. If the Sox get Clemens, that's meaningful, but there is nothing that indicates that Schmidt this year or Burnett is better than MB, JG, or FG. A top notch closer would be much more valuable because now the 8th can be Hermanson and everyone moves back. You could pull a starter in the 5th and change pitchers every inning and not give up a run. Cotts, Marte, Politte, Hermanson, closer. Obviously you wouldn't want that to happen, but that's the flexibility you want. For what starters are costing the Sox would lose a big part of their bullpen. It really isn't worth it, unless it is a true dependable difference maker. The moves that have been discussed are not that.

infohawk
07-19-2005, 02:45 PM
Eddie Guardado would seem to be a good fit for the Sox. BEWARE: THE FOLLOWING IS JUST SPECULATION ON MY PART AND IS IN NO WAY INTENDED TO BE A LEGITIMATE "RUMOR." I wonder if the Sox would seek to trade with the Mariners for both Everyday Eddie AND Gil Meche. I only say that because one of the ESPN talking heads mentioned within the last few days that the Sox may be interested in Meche.

Foulke You
07-19-2005, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the info Otis. Your post harkens back to those old ARod/Nomar/Maggs MONSTER threads from '03.:cool: As others have said, Otis gave WSI the scoop on that trade weeks before the local media reported on it. If Otis says the Sox are scouting Guardado, then that is good enough for me.

I think Everyday Eddie would be a good fit for this team. He already knows the AL hitters, has playoff experience, has closer experience, is a lefty, and is having a great year. What is not to like about bringing in Guardado? Get it done KW.

Duck Snort
07-19-2005, 02:54 PM
Bringing in Eddie sounds like it'd be a great addition to the pen . . . definitely the lefty vet arm we could use.

Any longevity concerns about that left rotator cuff tear that he's been throwing with, though? Doesn't seem to be a factor so far . . . just curious if that's the type of thing that could come back and haunt us??

DrummerGeorgefan
07-19-2005, 02:54 PM
Guardardo wouldnt be that bad of a pick up from the perspective that 1) he was with the Twins and probably still knows some of the hitter's weaknesses and strengths, 2)has faced the Angels a bunch, so would know a potential playoff opponent and 3) gives us another left handed option in the pen if marte's consistency is lacking.

anewman35
07-19-2005, 02:55 PM

We have a 13 game lead. You only need 4 starters in the playoffs. If El Duque does fall apart right now, that's like 15 more starts missed (or less, if we can skip some), I think McCarthy would be an ok sub for that. Unless we could get another starter very cheap, seems silly to go out and get one.

bennyw41
07-19-2005, 02:55 PM
What about the fact that he has a torn rotator cuff, is it cause for concern?

Foulke You
07-19-2005, 02:58 PM
Otis, since your source is in the Red Sox organization, correct me if I'm wrong here...but the fact that you know about this would seem to indicate that the Red Sox must also be after Eddie Guardado? It would seem to make sense considering Foulke's injury.

anewman35
07-19-2005, 03:01 PM
Otis, since your source is in the Red Sox organization, correct me if I'm wrong here...but the fact that you know about this would seem to indicate that the Red Sox must also be after Eddie Guardado? It would seem to make sense considering Foulke's injury.

Based on the paragraph below from a Minneapolia paper, that seems to make sense:

The Red Sox have called the Twins looking for pitching. Boston is believed to be interested in lefthander J.C. Romero, who could help stabilize a bullpen that had a 5.51 ERA entering Monday -- the second-highest in the American League.

mr_genius
07-19-2005, 03:03 PM
We have a 13 game lead. You only need 4 starters in the playoffs. If El Duque does fall apart right now, that's like 15 more starts missed (or less, if we can skip some), I think McCarthy would be an ok sub for that. Unless we could get another starter very cheap, seems silly to go out and get one.

hope you're right. homefield advantage would be nice, remember how much it helped in 2000..

season has a long way to go... i would rather get a great pen guy than an average starter. if we could get a top notch starter (which i don't think we can) that would be optimal. i don't trust contreas or el duque in the playoffs or down the stretch.

Hangar18
07-19-2005, 03:33 PM
Given Hermanson's back situation (what is it with backs and the White Sox???)
Lip

Hermanson has been carrying the bullpen on his back for a while now .....

TheOldRoman
07-19-2005, 03:39 PM
I like Guardado, but I would MUCH rather have Wagner.
Both are lefties, and both are great.
However, Wagner is one of the best closers of all time, and he still throws it near 100mph.
We would have to pay Wagner roughly $4 mil for the remainder of this year, and that would be nothing considering the huge increase in attendance and merchandise sales from last year. Wagner is a free agent after this year.
Guardado has a big salary (not as big as Wagners), but he is under contract for $5mil next year. I don't care about how much salary we take on this year, but I am concerned about next year. $5mil is a lot to pay for a set up man. Add into that the fact that Wagner is healthy, and Guardado has a torn rotator cuff. I would take the risk on Eddie for this season, but I wouldn't want to have to pay him $5mil next season when there is a possibility he will have to have season ending surgery.

Iguana775
07-19-2005, 03:40 PM
I would love to see Eddie in a Sox uni!

Hey, I hear that Reed kid has a ton of potential!! :cool:

TaylorStSox
07-19-2005, 03:45 PM
If this goes down, Seattle's going to have a whole OF of ex Sox farmhands. It'll be interesting to see how they perform.

kevingrt
07-19-2005, 03:54 PM
I would love to see Eddie in a Sox uni!

Hey, I hear that Reed kid has a ton of potential!! :cool:

Would we really give up someone like Anderson too... I mean how much more would we have in the future at OF in the farm system. I like Everyday Eddie but for how much?

TaylorStSox
07-19-2005, 03:56 PM
Would we really give up someone like Anderson too... I mean how much more would we have in the future at OF in the farm system. I like Everyday Eddie but for how much?

We have at least 3 legit plus OF prospects right now. One of them will have to go to get Guardado. They need a CF. I think the guy to go would be Anderson.

WhiteSox16K
07-19-2005, 04:14 PM
They are looking to get an end of game bullpen guy who wouldn't demand to be the exclusive closer.

I'm not completely sure about this, but doesn't Guardado have several incentives based on performance (saves, ERA, etc.) in his contract? To me, that would bring up a problem with him wanting the ball in the 9th. I mean, if your going to make X amount of money because of number of saves, would you really be okay with giving up a closers role. Then again, how many saves can be made with Seattle anyways?

IlliniSox
07-19-2005, 04:24 PM
I'm not completely sure about this, but doesn't Guardado have several incentives based on performance (saves, ERA, etc.) in his contract? To me, that would bring up a problem with him wanting the ball in the 9th. I mean, if your going to make X amount of money because of number of saves, would you really be okay with giving up a closers role. Then again, how many saves can be made with Seattle anyways?

Interesting, I'm more aware of reliever contracts carrying stipulations based on appearances, not an actual stat like saves. How significant are these bonuses vs. getting out of a losing situation?

wdelaney72
07-19-2005, 04:26 PM

This will cost more than an OF prospect... and given that this may very likely be our year... you make this trade and not worry about the "suspects" in the farm system.

socko82
07-19-2005, 04:41 PM
What about the fact that he has a torn rotator cuff, is it cause for concern?

We only need him for 3 months not 3 years. When he originally signed with the Mariners it was with the understanding he was going to be the set man for Kazuhiro Sasaki, he only ended up the closer when Sasaki retired during spring training so I wouldn't think he would have a big problem with not being the every game closer on a team that gets him out of last place and gives him a shot at a ring.

Flight #24
07-19-2005, 04:51 PM
Eddie Guardado would seem to be a good fit for the Sox. BEWARE: THE FOLLOWING IS JUST SPECULATION ON MY PART AND IS IN NO WAY INTENDED TO BE A LEGITIMATE "RUMOR." I wonder if the Sox would seek to trade with the Mariners for both Everyday Eddie AND Gil Meche. I only say that because one of the ESPN talking heads mentioned within the last few days that the Sox may be interested in Meche.

Hey - anyone heard the rumor that the Sox are going to solve RP and SP problems by trading with the M's for Guardado & Meche?

:wink:

TheOldRoman
07-19-2005, 05:09 PM
We only need him for 3 months not 3 years. When he originally signed with the Mariners it was with the understanding he was going to be the set man for Kazuhiro Sasaki, he only ended up the closer when Sasaki retired during spring training so I wouldn't think he would have a big problem with not being the every game closer on a team that gets him out of last place and gives him a shot at a ring.
While I agree with your sentiment, you are half right. We only NEED him for 3 months, but we would GET him for 3 months and a year. He is under contract for $5mil in 2006. I would take the risk if it was for this year alone, but it would be very ballsy to take on $5mil next year for a player with a torn rotator cuff who would be a set up man if healthy. The Yankees and Red Sox can pay set up men $5 mil, but we can't.

infohawk
07-19-2005, 05:15 PM
Hey - anyone heard the rumor that the Sox are going to solve RP and SP problems by trading with the M's for Guardado & Meche?

:wink:

Yeah, I heard that one too! Oh wait, I started it, didn't I???

GoGoSoxReborn
07-19-2005, 05:22 PM
The Yankees and Red Sox can pay set up men $5 mil, but we can't.

I agree with your sentiments; however, given the fact that this year seems to be "our year," or at least our best in a long time and the fact that attendence will probably finish at a record best in 10-15 years. Jerry might just open up the purse for Kenny to make this move. Especially since we know Jerry trusts Kenny and gives him a lot of freedom if Kenny believes the move will make the team better.

santo=dorf
07-19-2005, 05:26 PM

Oh please. It was like two days before the potential deal, and his trade involved 4 teams (Angels, White Sox, Red Sox, and Rangers) along with 20 other players. Wasn't his source based out of Boston? So why would he say something like how the Sox were looking to trade for C.C. Sabathia or Ben Sheets? (last June) :rolleyes:
Weren't the Sox scouting Eddie last season too?
:bs:

Iguana775
07-19-2005, 05:37 PM

I meant that to mean that we should trade for Reed too.

socko82
07-19-2005, 08:53 PM
While I agree with your sentiment, you are half right. We only NEED him for 3 months, but we would GET him for 3 months and a year. He is under contract for $5mil in 2006. I would take the risk if it was for this year alone, but it would be very ballsy to take on $5mil next year for a player with a torn rotator cuff who would be a set up man if healthy. The Yankees and Red Sox can pay set up men $5 mil, but we can't.

Most years I'd agree with you but Uncle Jerry has always said he would open the purse strings if he thought his team was close to a championship. Well he's owned the team for over twenty years and they've never been closer. Roll the dice aquire him for 3 months and then if his arm doesn't fall off there's no rule they can't deal him this winter to one of those big budget east coast rotisserie teams.

MisterB
07-19-2005, 09:31 PM
Interesting, I'm more aware of reliever contracts carrying stipulations based on appearances, not an actual stat like saves. How significant are these bonuses vs. getting out of a losing situation?

ML contracts cannot contain bonus clauses involving performance-based statistics (ERA, wins, home runs, rbi, etc.). Appearance-based incentives (plate appearances, innings pitched) are allowed as well as ones based on non-statistical awards (All-Star team, MVP, Cy Young, etc.)

Foulke You
07-20-2005, 12:06 AM
Oh please. It was like two days before the potential deal, and his trade involved 4 teams (Angels, White Sox, Red Sox, and Rangers) along with 20 other players. Wasn't his source based out of Boston? So why would he say something like how the Sox were looking to trade for C.C. Sabathia or Ben Sheets? (last June) :rolleyes:
Weren't the Sox scouting Eddie last season too?
:bs:
You're wrong, Otis was updating us daily as the deal continued to change (which is quite believable given the complexity and the money involved) and it was more than a few days before the media got wind of it. He didn't just lucky guess, he had the general blueprint for the deal laid out. Maggs to Boston, A-Rod to Boston, Nomar to White Sox and possibly Johnny Damon (who's contract Boston was trying to tid themselves of at the time) or Trot Nixon sent to the White Sox. Also, just because the Sabathia/Sheets deals didn't materialize, doesn't mean they weren't in the works. Many deals fall apart at the 11th hour. You can choose not to believe him, I however feel that Otis has proven himself worthy of being a credible source.

Banix12
07-20-2005, 12:47 AM
While I would like Wagner over Guardado I don't exactly think Wagner is all that available.

I know he made that statement a few weeks ago that "they can't win ", but I think with the Nationals starting to fall back and a recent phillies hot streak the facts stand that the Phillies are still very much in the wild card hunt and would want back players who can help them now. Probably, just my specualtion, one of the sox current starters like every other team seems to be asking for and a potential closer like Jenks.

Guardado might be the only quality guy out there. Beyond him we're down to the man Cleveland loves to boo, Jose Mesa, and starter turned closer Miguel Batista.

Jerome
07-20-2005, 12:48 AM
seattle won't want to trade with us again, the way we stole Garcia from them...

I say go for it, just not Mccarthy, Sweeny, or Anderson.