PDA

View Full Version : Billy Wagner?

tsamdog
07-19-2005, 12:28 PM
Was on ESPN.com during SportsNation chat with Harold Reynolds. An emailer questioned HR about the positives and negatives of the Sox changing chemistry with a possible trade. HR's response was intriguing. He basically said that if the WS were to pick up Billy Wagner, who would care about chemistry. This is the first I've heard about Wagner being a target for a K-dub trade. Is this an under the radar sighting?

infohawk
07-19-2005, 12:32 PM
Was on ESPN.com during SportsNation chat with Harold Reynolds. An emailer questioned HR about the positives and negatives of the Sox changing chemistry with a possible trade. HR's response was intriguing. He basically said that if the WS were to pick up Billy Wagner, who would care about chemistry. This is the first I've heard about Wagner being a target for a K-dub trade. Is this an under the radar sighting?

Sounds like speculation based upon Hermanson's condition and the designation of Shingo for assignment. It's probably fairly apparent that the Sox would covet a big-time arm for the bullpen.

bumptious96
07-19-2005, 12:37 PM
I would love Wagner...he's No. 1 on my wishlist as of right now

tsamdog
07-19-2005, 12:40 PM
Sounds like speculation based upon Hermanson's condition and the designation of Shingo for assignment. It's probably fairly apparent that the Sox would covet a big-time arm for the bullpen.

Fair assessment. With all the news about the addition of a starter, this comment from HR, although understandable, was a curveball. To snag a proven closer of BW's caliber, with Hermy out, would be a coup. I guess the next question(s) would be for whom, for how much, and for how long?

White Sox Josh
07-19-2005, 12:41 PM
I think the Phillies will make a run at it though. THey have to much talent. If they don't than Wagner would look great in a Sox Uni.

joe_tansey2004
07-19-2005, 12:54 PM
The Phillies are about to unload a lot of guys in the next month. According to Sportsline.com they say there even considering parting with Jim Thome. They say he has a no trade clause but he would approve a trade to the Cubs, Sox, and even the Indians. If there willing to part with Thome than the Wagner deal remains a possibility.

BiggWilli
07-19-2005, 01:08 PM
we need another bullpen now and wagner can close him

wsbaseball9
07-19-2005, 01:08 PM
I would love Wagner...he's No. 1 on my wishlist as of right now

me too...we need another bullpen guy now...and wagner can close if hermansons MRI's come back bad

kraut83
07-19-2005, 01:28 PM
Wagner's contract is up after this year, and he's made it pretty clear that he's not going back to Philly. I think they're definitely looking to unload him just to get something for him.

Tekijawa
07-19-2005, 01:31 PM
we need another bullpen now and wagner can close him

Huh? Are you speaking Yoda?

tsamdog
07-19-2005, 01:32 PM
Wagner's contract is up after this year, and he's made it pretty clear that he's not going back to Philly. I think they're definitely looking to unload him just to get something for him.

Kraut....what is BW making this year? How long was his contract year-wise?
I understand that Philly is 'in the hunt' as far as numbers go, but how strong is their starting pitching? How long can they wait before moving Wagner, Thome, etc.

White Sox Josh
07-19-2005, 01:35 PM
Kraut....what is BW making this year? How long was his contract year-wise?
I understand that Philly is 'in the hunt' as far as numbers go, but how strong is their starting pitching? How long can they wait before moving Wagner, Thome, etc.$9 Million.

tsamdog
07-19-2005, 01:36 PM
$9 Million.

Thanks, Josh.....I think! 9 mill......JERRY!!!!!!!!!

pythons007
07-19-2005, 01:56 PM
Wagner has also made a statement saying he may hang it up after this year. I don't know if we really need to waste a trade one someone for a couple months.

White Sox Josh
07-19-2005, 02:11 PM
Wagner has also made a statement saying he may hang it up after this year. I don't know if we really need to waste a trade one someone for a couple months.what? he's like 32. He still gets it up there in the high 90's.

RockRaines
07-19-2005, 02:26 PM
Wagner has also made a statement saying he may hang it up after this year. I don't know if we really need to waste a trade one someone for a couple months.He said that mostly because he didnt like playing for the Phils. It was widely known that he has wanted out of the team since he got there, even saying he wanted to go to the cards to beat up on Houston. He wants to be on a contender, and we are that this year. Please KW!!!!

tsamdog
07-19-2005, 06:48 PM
Hermie's MRI findings were reported as 'negative' (channel 7), but I still would not mind seeing BW in a Sox uni.....and his little friend Thome, too.

illinibk
07-19-2005, 06:53 PM
Hermie's MRI findings were reported as 'negative' (channel 7), but I still would not mind seeing BW in a Sox uni.....and his little friend Thome, too.
I'll pass on Thome. Too frail now. Seems to be injured every other week. Wagner is #1 on my list.