PDA

View Full Version : Bears vs. White Sox

Viva Medias B's
07-19-2005, 08:57 AM
What kind of diplomatic relationship do you think the Bears and White Sox have these days? I have this relatively new George Halas biography at home which not only chronicles Papa Bear's life but also the post-Halas Bears up to the hiring of Lovie Smith. In one passage on the latter, the references the time Eugene Fanning tried to purchase stock owned by Jim Finks. Finks was required to sell the stock upon his departure from the Bears, and Fanning was willing to purchase it. However, the McCaskeys essentially blocked Fanning's bid. That is because, according to the book, Fanning was one of Jerry Reinsdorf's major White Sox and Bulls partners. The McCaskeys did not want a Reinsdorf ally in their midst.

Evidently, there is no love loss between the McCaskeys and JR.

jackbrohamer
07-19-2005, 09:47 AM
IIRC the McCaskeys forced a sale of stock held by the Halas family (the late Mugsy's kids) and basically threw the surviving Halas-es out of the organization. I've always thought they don't want any non-McCaskeys holding any stock.

Dick Allen
07-19-2005, 11:07 AM
IIRC the McCaskeys forced a sale of stock held by the Halas family (the late Mugsy's kids) and basically threw the surviving Halas-es out of the organization. I've always thought they don't want any non-McCaskeys holding any stock.In other words, any non-retards.

miker
07-19-2005, 12:15 PM
That's okay, JR has a close relationship with Chicago sports owner and icon - Bill Wirtz!

gobears1987
07-19-2005, 04:00 PM
IIRC the McCaskeys forced a sale of stock held by the Halas family (the late Mugsy's kids) and basically threw the surviving Halas-es out of the organization. I've always thought they don't want any non-McCaskeys holding any stock.
McCaskey is a ****ing bastard. I hate him. JR is 10 times the owner that this loser is. There is a reason that his own grandfather did everything he could to keep him away from the team.

slavko
07-19-2005, 08:57 PM
What kind of diplomatic relationship do you think the Bears and White Sox have these days? I have this relatively new George Halas biography at home which not only chronicles Papa Bear's life but also the post-Halas Bears up to the hiring of Lovie Smith. In one passage on the latter, the references the time Eugene Fanning tried to purchase stock owned by Jim Finks. Finks was required to sell the stock upon his departure from the Bears, and Fanning was willing to purchase it. However, the McCaskeys essentially blocked Fanning's bid. That is because, according to the book, Fanning was one of Jerry Reinsdorf's major White Sox and Bulls partners. The McCaskeys did not want a Reinsdorf ally in their midst.

Evidently, there is no love loss between the McCaskeys and JR.

IIRC, the Fanning bid established a market price for the stock and the McCaskeys had to pay Finks more than they thought they would. A result of the episode was that the Bears would not join the Sox in a multipurpose West Side stadium project proposed by the city. I remembered the bid as coming from JR and EE, though. I could be wrong.

hellenicsoxfan
07-20-2005, 11:33 AM
I seem to remember that JR and EE were involved in some upstart football league and were going to bring in a Chicago franchise to compete with the Bears. McCaskey has never forgiven them for that. Does anyone else remember something like this or is my aging memory playing tricks on me again?

Viva Medias B's
07-20-2005, 11:35 AM
McCaskey is a ****ing bastard. I hate him. JR is 10 times the owner that this loser is. There is a reason that his own grandfather did everything he could to keep him away from the team.

In the Halas biography, it is reported that the dying Halas discussed who should succeed him. "Anybody but Michael," he said. The Old Man proved to be very correct.

Also, on another front, will we have to complete with the Bears for media attention too? In other words, will the so far glorious season we are having take a back seat to the training camp of a team which has been an absolute suckfest the better part of the past two decades?

eriqjaffe
07-20-2005, 12:03 PM
I seem to remember that JR and EE were involved in some upstart football league and were going to bring in a Chicago franchise to compete with the Bears. McCaskey has never forgiven them for that. Does anyone else remember something like this or is my aging memory playing tricks on me again?Eddie Einhorn secured the rights to field a Chicago franchise in the USFL's third (and last) season following the failure of the Chicago Blitz. He chose not to field a team in 1985, and was also going to not field a team in 1986, although he was active in the TV negotiations for the league.

I suppose there may be some bitterness there, but I don't know how much.

slavko
07-20-2005, 06:31 PM
I'm also recollecting that when JR and EE wanted to buy into the Bears, JR told the Bears "we'd be good owners, if you didn't think so after a year, we'd sell you back the stock."

chitownhawkfan
07-22-2005, 01:17 PM
Bring back the Cardinals!