PDA

View Full Version : Do you "believe"?

Baby Fisk
07-19-2005, 08:30 AM
To quote doublem23 in the July 18 post-game thread:

I think I'm too bitter to really sell my soul to the '05 Sox and say, "yes, this is it, this is THE team," but they are making it hard not to. They're just so much fun to watch, so good. It still gives me goosebumps to even begin imagining what that must be like.

All season, I have steadfastly refused to believe. We all know the litany of letdowns from years before. We all know why "believe" is a bad road to start down.

But when this happened:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3081

and that ball sailed into Lake Michigan, it was something else. When mild-mannered little Joseph did that ARROGANT double fist-pump, something deep-rooted came unleashed. Then Uribe! Then the Big Hurt! I roared primal, tribal screams at the TV. The neighbours must have thought I'd finally come unhinged, or was murdering someone. I waited half the night for the police to knock.

Now, many hours later, the glow is still there. Crede's double-fist pump may have finally sent me down that ill-advised road again.

Friends, I want to believe. Tell me why I shouldn't.

TornLabrum
07-19-2005, 08:34 AM

All season, I have steadfastly refused to believe. We all know the litany of letdowns from years before. We all know why "believe" is a bad road to start down.

But when this happened:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3081

and that ball sailed into Lake Michigan, it was something else. When mild-mannered little Joseph did that ARROGANT double fist-pump, something deep-rooted came unleashed. Then Uribe! Then the Big Hurt! I roared primal, tribal screams at the TV. The neighbours must have thought I'd finally come unhinged, or was murdering someone. I waited half the night for the police to knock.

Now, many hours later, the glow is still there. Crede's double-fist pump may have finally set me down that ill-advised road again.

I'm going to believe until the last out of the last postseason game we play.

Just be aware that OF fans like me have been through this before and seen us ultimately lose in the postseason before, so you may encounter opposition along the way. But as far as this OF is concerned, this is the best shot we've had in my lifetime since '59, and I'm riding the wave all the way.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-19-2005, 08:37 AM
I was there in 93 when they clinched...and was at all the games against the Blue Jays. I was a believer in 94....and we all know what happened. I was at game 4 in Seattle when we lost in 2000. This is a better team...not the won/loss record, mind you, but the drive, the mentality, the want to win. The W/L and the 13 game lead never hurts either. BUT, until I see the AL Pennant Flag and Game 1 of the WS in Chicago...I will hesitantly wait.

TornLabrum
07-19-2005, 08:45 AM
I was there in 93 when they clinched...and was at all the games against the Blue Jays. I was a believer in 94....and we all know what happened. I was at game 4 in Seattle when we lost in 2000. This is a better team...not the won/loss record, mind you, but the drive, the mentality, the want to win. The W/L and the 13 game lead never hurts either. BUT, until I see the AL Pennant Flag and Game 1 of the WS in Chicago...I will hesitantly wait.

Baby Fisk,

This is exactly what I mean, and I don't blame anyone for feeling this way. Take a look at the number of times we fell short in the '50s and '60s when I was growing up, and the failures since then. A lot of OFs and NSOFs who remember those failures are going to be hard to convince.

Hell, I even have it in the back of my mind that we'll fail again. But I'm pushing it as far back as I can because this is just plain fun!

Bucky F. Dent
07-19-2005, 08:47 AM
I believe, but I also believe that you need to be calm so you aren't jumpin off the Michigan Avenue bridge into the Chicago River in September.

ilsox7
07-19-2005, 08:51 AM
Every time I try not to believe, they force me to believe. Last night it looked like one of those nights where we just weren't getting it going. But then I reminded myself of what this team has done, told my friend PK would hit his solo shot (which he did) and the rest unfolded according to the Year 2005 Plan. This will either be the best baseball season ever or the biggest broken heart from sports ever.

The Racehorse
07-19-2005, 08:58 AM
It's ok with me if anyone wants to believe.

The non-believers in national media use the '01 Mariners as the example to say that this Sox team doesn't have the 'right stuff' in the playoffs. I think they're missing it...

I think the '05 Sox are really the '86 Mets in disguise. Offensively, that Mets team just kept winning without anyone having a career year, just like our offense. Pitching wise, the Sox have a slight edge with Garland on the way to 20 wins...

In the prediction thread, I said the Sox would win it all... too late to stop now.

zach23
07-19-2005, 09:54 AM

Just be aware that OF fans like me have been through this before and seen us ultimately lose in the postseason before, so you may encounter opposition along the way. But as far as this OF is concerned, this is the best shot we've had in my lifetime since '59, and I'm riding the wave all the way.

I feel the same way, this is the best team I have seen in all my years of watching them. Much better in all aspects of the game than 1983, 1993 and 2000. They definately have a great shot at going deep in October.
After I got home from the game last night, I told my wife that if this is all a dream I don't want to wake up.

doublem23
07-19-2005, 11:10 AM

Because it's been 88 years.

Don't get me wrong, I love this team, I love the way they play, I love the way they win, it's been a tremendous season and I'm so grateful I get to experience it. No matter what happens, I'll always remember this season fondly. It's not like I'm bandwagoing... but to devote yourself to the notion that this might be it... Man, that is a complete leap of faith and I don't know if I'm ready to jump quite yet.

They're inching me closer and closer to the edge every time I watch them play, but still... I think that is a lot to ask. I'm not talking, "oh the Sox are my favorite team," or "oh, what a grand year we're having..." I'm talking, this is it.

Trust me, I want to make that jump like some moronic Cub fan, who thinks his 46-44 team is World Series bound because they beat up on Pittsburgh and Cincinatti the last 5 games... But I know how much each loss ravages me, and I can only imagine the heartbreak... I don't know. I'm enjoying the ride and no matter what happens, this will definitely be a year I tell stories about when I'm a grizzled old dude.

You know what I really think I need to see? I need to see them play Boston and New York. I think that's the last mental hurdle for me. The American League has gone through those two teams the last few years. I've yet to see these guys match up against the Saux and Yanks except on paper. If they play well against them, then maybe we got something. Revisit this thread in a few weeks. :smile:

Baby Fisk
07-19-2005, 11:18 AM
Because it's been 88 years.

Don't get me wrong, I love this team, I love the way they play, I love the way they win, it's been a tremendous season and I'm so grateful I get to experience it. No matter what happens, I'll always remember this season fondly. It's not like I'm bandwagoing... but to devote yourself to the notion that this might be it... Man, that is a complete leap of faith and I don't know if I'm ready to jump quite yet.

They're inching me closer and closer to the edge every time I watch them play, but still... I think that is a lot to ask. I'm not talking, "oh the Sox are my favorite team," or "oh, what a grand year we're having..." I'm talking, this is it.
A great deal of today's emotional surge is based on the image of Crede launching that BOMB last night. That image really struck a chord. Prolly because it was mild mannered little Joe Crede, suddenly all shagged out and acting like he OWNED the Tigers. HELL YEAH! I was bouncing off the damn walls and writing delirious e-mails until 1:00 in the morning. :bandance:

If not quite ready to believe yet, I am positively frothing over the upcoming series against Boston and New York. I want the Sox to BURY them. BURY THEM YOU WHITE SOX!

White Sox Josh
07-19-2005, 11:20 AM
Yes and I've also become a FOJC. I'm on the Crede bandwagon. Joe I apologize.

doublem23
If not quite ready to believe yet, I am positively frothing over the upcoming series against Boston and New York. I want the Sox to BURY them. BURY THEM YOU WHITE SOX!

Yeah, I think that's it. If the Sox beat up on Boston and New York, then I'm in. I've got no more reasons not to.

Palehose13

Hal,

My dad (another OF) surprised me after the June 18th game (he went to it) and called soooo excited right after AJ's HR. At the time, I was playing football, so I had the pleasure of hearing the message. My dad is usually a pessimist about the Sox. He isn't this year. He calleed me about 2 weeks ago asking about playoff tickets (of course he is the one I am taking) and I told him that I had tickets for 9/24 & 9/25 hoping that they may clinch then...and I wanted him to be with me. I've never seen my old man so excited about the Sox. For his sake, (and for other OF's out there) I hope this is the year.

Baby Fisk-

I agree with this:

When mild-mannered little Joseph did that ARROGANT double fist-pump, something deep-rooted came unleashed

100%. Great statement!

thecell
07-19-2005, 11:21 AM
In Dusty I trusty.

PAPChiSox729
07-19-2005, 11:23 AM
Yes and I've also become a FOJC. I'm on the Crede bandwagon. Joe I apologize.

Uh oh, I think Shingo's demotion has really gotten to him.

jackbrohamer
07-19-2005, 11:46 AM
Who knows what'll happen in the post season, at this point all I care about is how much I'm enjoying watching the Sox freakin' humiliate the rest of MLB (at least everyone that doesn't play in Okland).

Mark
07-19-2005, 11:58 AM
I think it's going to take another month or so before I start to chase all those Wile E. Coyote images out of my mind.

Three playoff wins since the '73 season, when I became hooked on these Sox while residing in Yankee country, has turned me into a "cautiously optimistic" sort when it comes to these Pale Hose achieving BIG things, like winning a playoff series, an AL pennant, or good God, a World Series title.

This team has made this summer an absolute thrill, it's a season I will remember for a long, long time. But the scars of 2000 still remain for me, so while I believe in this team, and do believe that greatness could lay ahead, it will take a while longer for me to start focusing on the postseason and seeing the Sox find success once they get there.

Like many have said, I'm just trying to enjoy the ride...

TheOldRoman
07-19-2005, 12:16 PM

But when this happened:

Now, many hours later, the glow is still there. Crede's double-fist pump may have finally sent me down that ill-advised road again.

I agree with you. Only one little problem.
You ain't in Canada anymore, tough guy. Here, we don't spell neighbor with a "u". We don't take well to your kind.:D:

Fake Chet Lemon
07-19-2005, 12:19 PM
I'll believe a little more when Oakland is eliminated from the Wild Card. Just enjoying the moment, I'll worry about October.......in October.

my5thbench
07-19-2005, 12:20 PM
so many special surprises from this club, one almost has to believe...then

some national media expert puts our Sox down, or I listen to talkin' heads

on the score remind me of all the shortcomings, my doubts start to creep

back in....then bang another Sox win & I watch the Yanks or Red Sox or

Twins & think those teams suck, how would one of those teams possibly

beat the Sox in a playoff?

they can't

BNLSox
07-19-2005, 12:27 PM

There was a Game 4 in 2000? Forgive me if I am forgetting something but I disctinctly remember being swept and running about 10 miles there after to try and shake some of the anger and disappointment.

Clarkdog
07-19-2005, 12:40 PM
There is no doubt this has been a special season, and hopefully the balls will keep bouncing our way. That is what has made me a believer. In the past the Sox could never come through when they really needed it the most. This year, they have taken all comers and have stayed on top - with the exception of Oakland.

But I don't want to set my expectations too high. I'll wait until October to start thinking about what is really possible.

IMHO, we need to make one move to get us over the top - we need an arm. A bullpen arm. Eddie Guardado, perhaps. I like our chance ina shor series with Buehrle, Garland, Garcia, Duque/Contreras. I'd hate to see us get so close and then miss beacause we didn't take our shot.

Honestly, I like the offense as it is - Ozzie is finding spots to keep guys fresh. Gload should be up with the big club though.

Heffalump
07-19-2005, 01:05 PM
Yes, I think this could be the year for the Sox............However, we still have a long way to go (actually win a playoff series), so lets not turn into spaztic cub fans (especially with the "I believe" stuff).

LVSoxFan
07-19-2005, 01:38 PM
I think we'll have a good idea at the end of August. So far so good--but if we make it through that monster-tough schedule and we're still playing like this, look out!

September is all central division opponents except for one series with the Angels. Granted, there's six games with Minnesota, but still...

August is the are-you-for-real month.

Tekijawa
07-19-2005, 01:43 PM
I sat speachless and smiling ear to ear last night for about 5 minutes after Crede's HR before my wife got worried and asked what I was smiling about... I just said that "this team is team is special" and kept smiling... I think that post season is a lock at this point (see the number below for details) and I hope that a World Series is in our future, possibly even a title, but what an amazing ride it's been so far! They're just so fun to watch! Even when they are down 3 runs in the Seventh going against a pitcher who's only given up 2 dongs all season... and infront of Maggs made it all that much better!

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-19-2005, 01:49 PM
There was a Game 4 in 2000? Forgive me if I am forgetting something but I disctinctly remember being swept and running about 10 miles there after to try and shake some of the anger and disappointment.

Typo - game three. Thanks for the proofread.

rocky biddle
07-19-2005, 01:52 PM
I was at the game last night and my Cub fan brother-in-law spent the entire time telling me how the Sox have no chance in the playoffs and that their record means nothing. He went on, naturally, to say that the Cubs will easily win the wild card and go deep in the playoffs. I just stopped talking. It's impossible to comprehend the reasoning of these people. I'm sick of the doubters and the non-believers. Why not this team? Why not this year? This is a better, smarter team than 2000. I absolutely believe this is finally our year. What have I got to lose, an October heartache? I'm always heartbroken in October.