PDA

View Full Version : Gardenhire and Wendelstedt Get Into It

TheOldRoman
07-19-2005, 02:49 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2111109

Gardenhire was thrown out for arguing balls and strikes. He then went on to publicly shred and immasculate the umpire. Good to see a team other than the Sox getting "questionable" calls from that piece of garbage Wendelstedt. I agree with Gardenhire that Wendelstedt is a horrible umpire, and I think he should be fired.

Here is my gripe: How does this piece of s*** Gardenhire get away with this junk? This is the second time this year he has publicly exploded after the game and ridiculed the umpire. The first time came in one of Santana's first losses of the year. The strikezone was normal, and Santana wasn't getting his normal "foot outside, foot high, foot low" strike zone. Gardenhire went on to say that the umpire was disgusting, that he should be fired, that he disrespected Santana. He said something like "he has earned those calls, he shouldn't be squeezed like that. It was shameful" (paraphrasing). He either recieved a slap on the wrist fine or no punishment at all. Ozzie was suspended last year for getting into it with an umpire, yet nothing happens to Gardenhire. Ozzie did all his yelling during the game, and kept it civil. Gardenhire tore two umpires apart in the media, and that is ok somehow? What a piece of garbage.

That's the wrong thing for him to say. What he ought to do is get knocked on his ass. And you can print that one, too. I'm going to call Bob Watson about it.

I wont hold my breathe waiting for Gardenhire to recieve the massive fine/suspension he deserves.

MHOUSE
07-19-2005, 04:16 AM
If MLB doesn't do anything about another media tirade, I would he surprised. All pro sports are pretty strict when it comes to bashing officials in the media. (Jeff Van Gundy)

I don't recall exactly the situation with Ozzie or Gardenhire vs. umpiring, but if Gardenhire carried it off the field then he's done worse than someone who gets tossed arguing during the game IMO.

The Racehorse
07-19-2005, 05:20 AM
Is Gardenhire also gonna call his Mommy?

Fredsox
07-19-2005, 05:57 AM
There's another perspective on this. Two major league managers have flat-out called this guy unprofessional. Ozzie certainly can be labeled a hot head, but Gardenhire? I don't recall him as a guy who gets exceptionally worked up, and if it's true that Wendelstedt told him he was just show-timing, that's wrong.

I assume that Gardenhire will receive some sort of discipline from the league. MLB does not publicize the actions taken against umpires, but I would imagine that the pattern of behavior Wendelstedt is exhibiting is not career-enhancing.

A_ROW33
07-19-2005, 08:42 AM
I see this as a good thing since now it is almost assured that wendelstadt will not be working a playoff game from behind the plate, unless espn pays off mlb so that the teams from the central will be supressed.

1951Campbell
07-19-2005, 08:49 AM
There's another perspective on this. Two major league managers have flat-out called this guy unprofessional.

Exactly. When's the last time an ump has been so out-of-line that he's been called out by two managers publicly in the last year or so? That can't be a coincidence.

infohawk
07-19-2005, 01:02 PM
[QUOTE=Fredsox]There's another perspective on this. Two major league managers have flat-out called this guy unprofessional.[QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing. Hasn't Wendlestadt (sp?) been involved in a few "incidents" this year?

Tekijawa
07-19-2005, 01:06 PM
"Show time"? I have to remember that for September?!?!?!?

buehrle4cy05
07-19-2005, 01:35 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2111109

Only good thing was it happened to the Twins.:bandance::bandance::bandance:

fquaye149
07-19-2005, 02:13 PM
look down maybe 3, 4 threads.

GoGoSoxReborn
07-19-2005, 02:32 PM
This is getting ridiculous. Use the search button people.

RKMeibalane
07-19-2005, 02:35 PM
http://www.gamestar.cz/starwars/jkjo/fotogalerie%5Cyoda.jpg

"With the 'search tool,' things you will see- other places, the future, the past, old threads long gone."

Huisj
07-19-2005, 04:57 PM
[QUOTE=Fredsox]There's another perspective on this. Two major league managers have flat-out called this guy unprofessional.[QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing. Hasn't Wendlestadt (sp?) been involved in a few "incidents" this year?

I feel like I remember watching a Tigers game earlier this year where both Trammel and the other manager were getting into with him throughout the game because he was being a power tripping ump with bad eyes. In fact it may have been something that kind of grew over a series of a few games. I can't remember the exact situation though.

1951Campbell
07-20-2005, 01:16 PM
Looks like Gardy apologized:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3772860