PDA

View Full Version : Joe Crede- 2005 Gold Glove?

rowand33
07-19-2005, 12:30 AM
We all know that he's got an awesome glove, the detroit announcers tonight were praising him and saying maybe he'd win the gold glove this year...

do you think Crede will win the Gold Glove at 3B this year?

fielding stats are often hard to work with, but I'll present Crede's this year and Chavez's fielding stats from his 2004 gold glove year as a frame of reference:

Crede's Fielding stats this year:
718 Innings .981 FPCT 4 E 156 A 211 TC 51 PO 2.60 RF .828 ZR

Chavez's 2004 gold glove winning stats:
1129 Innings .968 FPCT 13 E 276 A 402 TC 113 PO 3.10 RF .793 ZR

You usually have to hit to get the gold glove too, but Joe is on pace for 20 homers and 60+ RBI. I think there's a decent enough chance Joe C. wins the gold glove this year (which would be fantastic). Oh and by the way, Chavez this year in 769 innings has made 12 errors and has a .951 FPCT

legend for those stats:
FPCT=fielding percentage (PO+A)/(PO+A+E)
TC=total chances
E=errors
PO=Putouts
A=assists
RF=Range Factor (PO+A)*9/innings
ZR=Zone rating. The percentage of balls fielded by a player in his typical defensive "zone," as measured by STATS, Inc

TimoandAaron
07-19-2005, 12:37 AM
the coaches vote. Why would they vote crede? A white Sox? NO WAY!

shoota
07-19-2005, 12:42 AM
I think this is one of the hardest awards to vote for because it's hard to watch enough games of every player at every position to give a fair judgement.

I think that's why reputation has much to do with who wins this award. That's certainly why Buehrle hasn't won a couple Gold Gloves to this point.

doublem23
07-19-2005, 12:44 AM
Muttonchops made some fine plays out there tonight. If he could hit .275/25/90 he'd be one of the premier 3B in the game.

ChiSoxRowand
07-19-2005, 01:13 AM
Crede won't win the gold glove because he's not a good hitter. It's stupid, but sadly thats how people vote. Plus he's not as well known as Chavez or A-Rod.

PAPChiSox729
07-19-2005, 06:45 AM
Crede won't win the gold glove because he's not a good hitter. It's stupid, but sadly thats how people vote. Plus he's not as well known as Chavez or A-Rod.

Exactly. The question was 'Will He Win the Gold Glove?' not 'Should He'. I think he should win. However, I would be very surprised if he actually did.

samram
07-19-2005, 06:50 AM
I think this is one of the hardest awards to vote for because it's hard to watch enough games of every player at every position to give a fair judgement.

I think that's why reputation has much to do with who wins this award. That's certainly why Buehrle hasn't won a couple Gold Gloves to this point.

Man, you wouldn't give JC the Gold Glove if he made a diving catch of a grenade heading straight for your feet.:D:

Now, that said, he won't win it because, as others have said, he doesn't hit as well as some other guys. Blalock, Chavez, and ARod all have better chances to win it, although I don't think any of them is better than Joe.

JackParkman
07-19-2005, 08:10 AM
Now, that said, he won't win it because, as others have said, he doesn't hit as well as some other guys. Blalock, Chavez, and ARod all have better chances to win it, although I don't think any of them is better than Joe.

Most years I would agree with you. All the defense in the world isn't going to draw the kind of national attention it takes the player is also knocking the ball silly. This year, though, I think Joe's got a chance because of all the attention the Sox are receiving as a team. That means more people are seeing what he's capable of in the field, are hearing about his 45(?)-game errorless streak, etc.
It's certainly not a lock that he gets it, but I think he's got a good chance.

Baby Fisk
07-19-2005, 08:14 AM
I had the Detroit feed for the July 18 game -- the one in which Crede made some nice grabs along with his memorable double-fist-pump HR. The FSN Detroit commentators started chirping about Crede deserving the GG. Crede is starting to generate a buzz outside of Chicago as well.

owensmouth
07-19-2005, 08:27 AM

Not exactly true... Think of the Oakland game that Buehrle turned a double play into a loss with one throw. That's why Mark hasn't won a gold glove.

Frater Perdurabo
07-19-2005, 08:29 AM
I voted that he won't win it, although I believe he deserves it.

Perhaps this is a stupid question, but I wonder how long he has had disk problems. Furthermore, I wonder if his disk problems lead to poor swing mechanics (long swing, etc.). In any case, he'd be an MVP candidate if he got to play the Tigers, Yankees and Rangers all the time!

samram
07-19-2005, 08:30 AM
Not exactly true... Think of the Oakland game that Buehrle turned a double play into a loss with one throw. That's why Mark hasn't won a gold glove.

So one error disqualifies a guy from winning a Gold Glove? Buehrle is a superb fielder and makes his outings easier for himself by fielding his position very well.

owensmouth
07-19-2005, 08:51 AM
So one error disqualifies a guy from winning a Gold Glove? Buehrle is a superb fielder and makes his outings easier for himself by fielding his position very well.Generally speaking, one error is enough to lower his fielding percentage belowwhat the eventual winner has (1.000).

Mark has a tendancy to air mail an occasional throw to first base, generally when he is fielding a bunt around the third base line. Also, and I'm going on memory alone, he allows those occasional errors to rattle him.

He is a good defensive pitcher, one of the best, but every year he seems to do something that takes him out of the running.

Sox PA
07-19-2005, 09:41 AM
I think Joe is worthy of a gold glove, he makes those grabs day in and day (or night) out. It is irritating that BBTN ignores his web gems - like they did again last night after his stretch grab of that line drive. His glove is every bit as good as Robin Ventura's (6 GG's) and he deserves the recognition, but I agree, he won't get it unless his stats improve.

I'm not crazy about the side burns, wondering if they will turn into a chin strap a la Buehrle - probably an improvement, but I think they are here to stay after his performance last night. Loved the double fist pump, good to see him showing emotion.

And, I think he's got another 14 game or so hitting streak still to come, so that should get him some attention.

I'm glad Ozzie and Kenny didn't listen to all of you naysayers out there, I was worried that we would pick up a 3B to replace him.

Hope to see Crede's Crew back at the ballpark, where did they go?

GO GO JOE

kevingrt
07-19-2005, 10:41 AM

I totally agree. Maybe if he can increase his hitting numbers and be somewhere around .270 by the end of the year he might have a chance, because some coaches and voters will notice him. But how many people are going to strictly look at the fielding stats? He may deserve it but he is just not as well known yet, and does not bash the ball around the field.

Doesn't disregard the fact I still love Joe at 3B despite herniated discs in his back.

Rocklive99
07-19-2005, 11:26 AM
Should he? Yes. Will he? No.

Fake Chet Lemon
07-19-2005, 11:30 AM
Not hitting under .250, no. Not to mention to win something as a non Yankee or Red Sox you have to go above and beyond.

rowand33
07-19-2005, 11:43 AM
I think the competition is Blalock, who's stats are identical to Crede. But the Rangers are getting a lot less press than the White Sox. I think 20 HR and playing on the best team in baseball puts Crede into the running.

ARod is not a gold glove third baseman. He's a fine defensive third baseman, but I doubt he's even top 5 in the AL. Yankees or not, he won't win it.

ChiSoxPatF
07-19-2005, 11:49 AM
Should he? Yes. Will he? No.

Couldn't put it better myself. Its completely moronic but your offensive stats seem to weigh heavily on who is the Gold Glover at that position (unless ESPN or the News stations put you on every night like Ozzie Smith or Torii Hunter who do deserve what they got).

Crede has been having Gold Glove-caliber years every year since he's come here and he will not get anymore recognition this year than he ever has. :angry:

Its an over-rated award.

Heffalump
07-19-2005, 12:02 PM
I know it's chosen by coaches, but any ideas on a Gold Glove for Crede campaign?

wsbaseball9
07-19-2005, 12:05 PM
hes got the glove definatley and he should get it...i voted no because i dont think he will acctually get it because 1) he plays on the southside and 2) he doesnt have a good enough bat...he definatley deserves it

Jjav829
07-19-2005, 01:22 PM
Keep in mind that Beltre is also in the AL now. He's sure to draw some votes away from Crede. In the end, as much as I'd like to see Crede win a gold glove, I just don't think he'll get enough votes.

RockRaines
07-19-2005, 01:24 PM
I totally agree. Maybe if he can increase his hitting numbers and be somewhere around .270 by the end of the year he might have a chance, because some coaches and voters will notice him. But how many people are going to strictly look at the fielding stats? He may deserve it but he is just not as well known yet, and does not bash the ball around the field.

Doesn't disregard the fact I still love Joe at 3B despite herniated discs in his back.

He wont win it, because of his offensive numbers. There have been several players in the past that have won a position that they only played half a season, because their power numbers were good. It will probably go to Chavez if he continues this pace, as usual.

tstrike2000
07-19-2005, 01:28 PM

I remember there were a few years Robin Ventura won the Gold Glove and his batting avg. was in the .260 range of so with 20 bombs and 80-90 rbi's. If Joe keeps close to his current fielding % and errors in the field and hits 20 bombs with 70 rbi coupled with the Sox turnaround this year, I believe he will win it.