PDA

View Full Version : Email from Brooks Boyer

TornLabrum
07-18-2005, 11:51 PM
A guy I know at SoxTalk.com and I received the following email from Brooks Boyer. I wrote back and told him I'd try to gauge opinion here. I think it's a good idea if the logistics can be worked out, and it's something several people here have talked about doing (at least with other WSI members) off and on for quite some time.

Let me know what you think.

What I like is the idea of someone in the Sox organization recognizing who, as he put it, the core of the core fans are and wanting to find some way for us to all get together and mingle at the park.

Hoping I could get your opinion on something.

Would it make sense to offer members of whitesox.com message boards, WSI and Soxtalk users/posters the opportunity to sit together at a game? Maybe make a couple of outfield sections available for a group night, maybe some sort of Patio party? I realize that most that would attend this type of event attend many games, but I thought it might be enjoyable to get the core of the core fans together.

Everyone could be together and mingle. It was a thought from someone within the organization and I figured you two were the perfect ones to ask to take a temperature.

Please let me know your thoughts at your convenience.

All the best and Go Sox,

Brooks

chisoxfanatic
07-18-2005, 11:53 PM
Hal,

I would absolutely love a WSI exclusive party in the Patio area! That would totally rock!!!

FedEx227
07-18-2005, 11:55 PM
That would be a great idea...Brooks is the man.

thepaulbowski
07-18-2005, 11:56 PM
Hal,

I Think a patio party would be a great idea.

skobabe8
07-18-2005, 11:57 PM
Awesome idea! Dont forget to make name tags so everyone gets to know everyone else!

SaltyPretzel
What a lame idea. I'd go in a heartbeat. :bandance:

row18
YES, nuff said.

chisoxfanatic
07-18-2005, 11:58 PM
I forgot to mention that this would be an excellent chance for everyone to make new SOX friends!

Perhaps we can get Hangar18 to do an article for the Cubune on the event... :D:

TimoandAaron
07-18-2005, 11:59 PM
what if i cant drive/get a ride/afford tickets?

skobabe8
Outfield sections, Brooks? Lets talk scout seats!

:)

jabrch
I think this is a great idea - Brooks truly rocks!

I sure miss the Rob Gallas days.

itsnotrequired
07-19-2005, 12:00 AM
Will "Homefish", "Go_aaron_go!" and "Fridaythe13thJason" be there?:tongue:

chisoxfanatic
07-19-2005, 12:00 AM

Now we can't get too harsh on Brooks...He has a lot to deal with... :)

sox_fan_forever
07-19-2005, 12:01 AM
That's a neat idea. Brooks is awesome, and I am glad people within the Sox organization are aware of who the real fans are.

TimoandAaron

:)how many WSI members would fit in the scout seats?. It would also suck if crede or ozuna were playing with all of the WSI members near them.:tongue:

Soxzilla
what if i cant drive/get a ride/afford tickets?

We'll have someone logged onto chat giving party PBP.:wink:

TimoandAaron
07-19-2005, 12:03 AM
We'll have someone logged onto chat giving party PBP.:wink:wait, i can afford tickets, but i live about 45 minutes away from the ballpark:mad: :mad:

CLR01
07-19-2005, 12:07 AM
I am going to stick this so Hal can get back to Brooks as soon as possible.

fincher
07-19-2005, 12:08 AM
Twist my arm. I'm in.

gobears1987
07-19-2005, 12:12 AM
I'm all for it. Hopefully they have this before I go to school in mid August. I love that post above about why we can't have too many WSI users in the Scout Seats.

TimoandAaron
07-19-2005, 12:13 AM
damn my young age:(: :(: :(:

HebrewHammer
07-19-2005, 12:14 AM
Sounds like fun.

scottjanssens
07-19-2005, 12:15 AM
I'd already have tickets but I'd stop by and say hi.

fquaye149
07-19-2005, 12:18 AM
gosh - I would really really like to. Unfortunately I work four evenings a week.

Unless it's on a wednesday, friday, or sunday, I wouldn't be able to go.

Maybe we could do a couple of dates so everyone who wants to go but can't make a certain date could go another

(although maybe I'm really just looking out for my own best interests here...selfish me.)

p.s. - how good a pr guy is brooks? honestly! i can't believe it's just a coincidence that this is his first full year....(or is it - I am not only selfish, but also underinformed)

ChiSoxGirl
07-19-2005, 12:21 AM
I luuuv Brooks and his awesome ideas!! :bandance:

Count me in; I think it'd be so much fun!

BRDSR
07-19-2005, 12:27 AM
wait, i can afford tickets, but i live about 45 minutes away from the ballpark:mad: :mad:

Dude, Tinley Park? Thats a light jog up 57, a quick sprint on 90 and a short off-ramp away from U.S. Cellular Field. If you start at 9AM for a 7PM game you could walk there!

Thats a really good idea although it seems like it would be murder to implement. The logistics are already overwhelming me. You'd have to appoint a full time position to someone on WSI just to handle and distribute the tickets. I'm not volunteering, but would certainly take advantage of the opportunity if someone did.

Optipessimism
07-19-2005, 12:28 AM
Great idea, especially the patio part.

But, there is one problem Brooks. You are well aware that the Sox fans visiting this site are more intelligent than your average run-of-the-mill baseball fans. Knowing that, you are also aware that simply having many members of this site at a game together will further enlighten your audience to a degree that you have never before seen. And as we all know, smarter fans are more dedicated fans and more dedicated fans buy more merchandise and give you guys nice bonuses (hopefully).

What I'm saying here Brooks is this. We hold the bargaining chips. The patio party is a nice start, but I'm thinking we may also require vouchers for free food and drinks, or at least a group discount.

Come on, Brooks. It's the least you can do.

(BTW, I thought about teal but then realized I'm not kidding).

shoota
07-19-2005, 12:30 AM

That's a really good idea. Who better than the "core of the core" to be seated in the best seats in the house? I can't think of a better way for Brooks to show how much he appreciates the core's core. You're a class act Brooks. Thank you.

Due to people's conflicting life schedules, it'll be difficult to obtain a decent size party of us posters without extra incentive, so Brooks would be wise to seat us there and let us mingle with a few of the Sox players pre and post game.

TimoandAaron
07-19-2005, 12:31 AM
Dude, Tinley Park? Thats a light jog up 57, a quick sprint on 90 and a short off-ramp away from U.S. Cellular Field. If you start at 9AM for a 7PM game you could walk there what happens if i get there and the game is sold out?:o:

CLR01
07-19-2005, 12:31 AM

But, there is one problem Brooks. You are well aware that the Sox fans visiting this site are more intelligent than your average run-of-the-mill baseball fans. Knowing that, you are also aware that simply having many members of this site at a game together will further enlighten your audience to a degree that you have never before seen. And as we all know, smarter fans are more dedicated fans and more dedicated fans buy more merchandise and give you guys nice bonuses (hopefully).

What I'm saying here Brooks is this. We hold the bargaining chips. The patio party is a nice start, but I'm thinking we may also require vouchers for free food and drinks, or at least a group discount.

(BTW, I thought about teal but then realized I'm not kidding).

:rolleyes:

SkeetSkeetAmit
07-19-2005, 12:34 AM
I don't care when... I'll skip about anything to go to this... If it's in September, I'll have to drive myself back from U of Iowa.

TimoandAaron
07-19-2005, 12:36 AM

(BTW, I thought about teal but then realized I'm not kidding). How about a Coach that will pick me and other WSI members up from their houses?:tongue:

TornLabrum
07-19-2005, 12:51 AM
Dude, Tinley Park? Thats a light jog up 57, a quick sprint on 90 and a short off-ramp away from U.S. Cellular Field. If you start at 9AM for a 7PM game you could walk there!

Thats a really good idea although it seems like it would be murder to implement. The logistics are already overwhelming me. You'd have to appoint a full time position to someone on WSI just to handle and distribute the tickets. I'm not volunteering, but would certainly take advantage of the opportunity if someone did.

In my reply to Brooks, I told him that the logistics of ticket distribution would be pretty difficult to figure out. I then told him that I had no idea how to handle it.

TornLabrum
07-19-2005, 12:53 AM
what happens if i get there and the game is sold out?:o:

Um...if we're talking about a patio party here, you can purchase your game tickets with your patio pass. If you already have game tickets, you only have to purchase the passes.

I'm sure Brooks and I will have more of an email exchange about this in the next couple of days, and unless his wife gives birth this week, I'll see him at the WCSF luncheon Friday. I'm sure we can discuss stuff like that there, too.

Mr. White Sox
07-19-2005, 12:56 AM
dumbest question ever, but....
what exactly is a patio pass, and how would I get one for that specific game?

This sounds like one of the cooler ideas that I've heard in a long time and it would be great to meet some of the people here. I'm going back to school Aug. 29 though.....meh, I'll still drive back if I have to :)

pinwheels3530
07-19-2005, 01:05 AM
Will I get a chance to meet the legendary PaleHoseGeorge? :D:

spiffie
07-19-2005, 01:08 AM
I would be up for something like this. I think it's an excellent idea :)

StillMissOzzie
07-19-2005, 01:12 AM
Count me in - if there's any way at all, I will get there!

SMO
:gulp:

And one more for you too, Brooks!
:gulp:

doublem23
07-19-2005, 01:14 AM
In my reply to Brooks, I told him that the logistics of ticket distribution would be pretty difficult to figure out. I then told him that I had no idea how to handle it.

While it's an excellent idea, I figure it would be a nightmare trying to sort all the tickets out. I mean, this place alone has what? 5,000+ registered members, and god only knows how many lurkers? But hey, that's not my job. :smile:

If Brooks and the Sox can pull this off, I'd love it, and would be the first at the park. :thumbsup:

jcw218
07-19-2005, 01:22 AM
While I do not post that often, I'd jump at the chance to join fellow fans at the party of a lifetime.

kojak
07-19-2005, 01:40 AM
I think this is an EXCELLENT idea!

Just one small request: I will not be in Chicago until October 7-12, so if it could be for one of those games I would be forever grateful.

Thanks in advance,
Wine Country's Biggest Sox Fan

ilsox7
07-19-2005, 02:12 AM
Name a date and I am there.

ClaudelSleptHere
07-19-2005, 02:19 AM
How about a Coach that will pick me and other WSI members up from their houses?:tongue:

I think Tim Raines is available. You don't want to ride with Joey Cora, because he couldn't find the Urinal.

ClaudelSleptHere
07-19-2005, 02:39 AM
I think this is an EXCELLENT idea!

Just one small request: I will not be in Chicago until October 7-12, so if it could be for one of those games I would be forever grateful.

Thanks in advance,
Wine Country's Biggest Sox Fan

And I'm going to go out on a limb here are predict that this will not be happening at a playoff game.

patbooyah
07-19-2005, 02:59 AM
if its a weekend i'd fly home. :cool:

BarbG
07-19-2005, 03:13 AM
It's an excellent idea. With all of the "who's going tonight" threads, it's obvious a lot of us would like to meet each other or enjoy a game together, this may be the best way to make that happen.

I really hope it happens.

The Racehorse
07-19-2005, 05:14 AM
Great freakin' idea! :cool:

The chances are pretty slim for me to be there... damn. :(:

I'll have to settle on just reading the post game thread.

chisoxfan64
07-19-2005, 05:18 AM
That is a FANtastic idea! I would enjoy that immensely.

TornLabrum
07-19-2005, 06:50 AM
At this point I think I'll email Brooks and tell him there is a lot of support for this idea.

Day of the week obviously affects the price as tickets to weekend games are higher. It may also be more difficult, based on a call I got from a ticket agent back in May, to get a weekend date.

If we go the patio party route, it will be more expensive. I'm not sure of the price, but I think it's in the $40-$50 range based on what I've had to pay when the WCSF has done this. That's the bad news. The good news is that the food and drink is unlimited (and that includes beer) while you're in the patio area.

For the person who asked about patio passes, those are usually available to groups, iirc. I don't think you can just buy an individual pass. I think I mentioned before, though, that if we do the patio thing, you can pay for just that as long as you already have a ticket.

I have to go up to where I work today to vote on a contract ratification for our teachers association, and I probably won't get back until early this afternoon. I'll email Brooks now and let him know the sentiment. If he replies today, I'll get back to you.

ozzman
07-19-2005, 07:17 AM
great idea brooks! can we all throw out the first pitch? :cool:

spawn
07-19-2005, 07:22 AM
Excellent idea...I'd love to meet my fellow posters here...

steff
07-19-2005, 07:23 AM
Hal.. we're in (even though the odds are good we'll be going already anyway). Also, I'll email Brooks and let him know I'd be more than happy to help with coming up with a solution to the ticket distribution. Likely the best way would be for folks to order the tickets and pick them up at will call with an ID. I assume there's a limit to the patio (# of guests allowed) so it would be a first come first serve thing.. hopefully that wouldn't cause any issues... :rolleyes: Mailing them like I've done in the past would be a pain since those outings I've planned have been in the 20 person range, but who knows. Great ideal either way.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-19-2005, 07:26 AM
This would be so cool. Count me in also.

TornLabrum
07-19-2005, 07:30 AM
Hal.. we're in (even though the odds are good we'll be going already anyway). Also, I'll email Brooks and let him know I'd be more than happy to help with coming up with a solution to the ticket distribution. Likely the best way would be for folks to order the tickets and pick them up at will call with an ID. I assume there's a limit to the patio (# of guests allowed) so it would be a first come first serve thing.. hopefully that wouldn't cause any issues... :rolleyes: Mailing them like I've done in the past would be a pain since those outings I've planned have been in the 20 person range, but who knows. Great ideal either way.

Steff, I just emailed Brooks with a similar suggestion, that perhaps a particular agent be assigned that we could all call. I don't know the maximum for the patio. I assume that's dependent on the number of other groups for that date. I think there was a minimum at least of seats purchased when the WCSF has done patio parties, but I don't know what that was since Mary Kay, as special events chairperson, or Joanne who had that job before she passed away, took care of that.

If the Sox are willing to mail them (probably with an S&H charge), that could also be a possibility rather than hold them at will call. However, I think you're right: will call seems to be the easiest solution.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-19-2005, 07:31 AM
Steff, I just emailed Brooks with a similar suggestion, that perhaps a particular agent be assigned that we could all call. I don't know the maximum for the patio. I assume that's dependent on the number of other groups for that date. I think there was a minimum at least of seats purchased when the WCSF has done patio parties, but I don't know what that was since Mary Kay, as special events chairperson, or Joanne who had that job before she passed away, took care of that.

If the Sox are willing to mail them (probably with an S&H charge), that could also be a possibility rather than hold them at will call. However, I think you're right: will call seems to be the easiest solution.

Could we maybe suggest a WSI night, then a Soxtalk night, etc., if there's an issue of space/seats??

Deuce
07-19-2005, 07:35 AM
Man, I am in if I can make it in town. If it's a Friday or weekend game, I am in. During the week will depend on work, as its a five hour drive to Chi-Town for me. :whiner:

Deuce

steff
07-19-2005, 07:36 AM

Look at you.. stealing my thunder.. :tongue:

I'll shoot him one also as I have other business with him as well.

itsnotrequired
07-19-2005, 07:37 AM
While it's an excellent idea, I figure it would be a nightmare trying to sort all the tickets out. I mean, this place alone has what? 5,000+ registered members, and god only knows how many lurkers? But hey, that's not my job. :smile:

If Brooks and the Sox can pull this off, I'd love it, and would be the first at the park. :thumbsup:

A possible idea would be to put "constaints" on those that would be able to go. Something like you have to have been a member for two years or you have to have more than 1,000 posts or something like that. This would limit it to die-hards who have been here forever but don't post often as well as newer posters who are very passionate and post all the time. Just an idea on how to address the 5,000+ members...

TornLabrum
07-19-2005, 07:41 AM
A possible idea would be to put "constaints" on those that would be able to go. Something like you have to have been a member for two years or you have to have more than 1,000 posts or something like that. This would limit it to die-hards who have been here forever but don't post often as well as newer posters who are very passionate and post all the time. Just an idea on how to address the 5,000+ members...

The problem with that is that the only way to regulate it would be for someone from WSI handle all the tickets, mail them, etc. I don't want to do that myself with school coming up in a month (yup, teachers actually use summer as prep. time), and I sure don't want to burden PHG or the mods with this one.

ozzman
07-19-2005, 07:54 AM
I've been a member for 3 years, but I don't have a whole lot of posts. How are they going to come up with who is worthy of a spot?

ilsox7
07-19-2005, 07:58 AM
Post the place to get the tickets only on the secret message board.

In all seriousness, make it open to everyone. The only other thing would be to tie it to people who donate to the site first before opening it up to everyone else...again that would require work by the mods, but at least they'd get something out of it.

TomBradley72
07-19-2005, 08:12 AM
Count me in!

How do we feel about Sox Talk? Are they are rivals? Any risk of a rumble breaking out? :cool:

Tekijawa
07-19-2005, 08:18 AM
There'd be a good chance that I'd be interested!

Rocky Soprano
07-19-2005, 08:36 AM
Wow, what an awesome idea! :D:
Count me in for sure!

Brooks is the man!

Risk
07-19-2005, 08:41 AM
Sounds awesome. I love the idea.

Risk

Jerko
07-19-2005, 08:41 AM

I didn't read the rest of the thread, but if it's a weeknight game, say a Wed. night, how about the fan deck? This way all we would have to do is get our hands on lower level tickets (which is why I recommended like a Wed. nite) and just meet at the fan deck. All we would need is a "password" then to get up there. If the ushers there know it's a WSI party and we say "we're here for the WSI party", that should be pretty easy. Plus I doubt 5000 people would show.

BigHurtEm35
07-19-2005, 08:49 AM
i also think that would be a great event and day. REAL baseball fans watching the game the way it is meant to be. GO SOX!

downstairs
07-19-2005, 08:57 AM
I'm in!

LongLiveFisk
07-19-2005, 09:03 AM
Why not see if, logistically, shuttle buses can be used? I'd be willing to pay a few extra bucks to avoid the parking logjam myself! I know there's a bar in my neck of the woods that does that for Bears games. I think between the west, south, and north suburbs you may definitely be able to generate enough interest to support the idea.

LVSoxFan
07-19-2005, 09:15 AM
Why not just have a special code for ordering tickets to this? That way you don't have to worry about distribution and all that; people can order for will-call or have them mailed.

The moderators can determine who's had enough tenure to be offered the code.

As for the idea, it's great and it's very generous of Brooks to offer it. However, I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth and start making demands about how it's got to include this or that. I'm sure he knows what he can offer. And I would forget about playoff games, unless they're having trouble selling them out.

But I'm all for it.

itsnotrequired
07-19-2005, 09:20 AM
The problem with that is that the only way to regulate it would be for someone from WSI handle all the tickets, mail them, etc. I don't want to do that myself with school coming up in a month (yup, teachers actually use summer as prep. time), and I sure don't want to burden PHG or the mods with this one.

Yeah, that would become a pain. I suppose it will have to be set up as first-come, first-serve. The simple logistics of having to be more or less in the Chciago area will limit the amount of people that can go anyway.

Teachers work in the summer? I thought all they did was lounge by the pool and sip margaritas?:D:

Goose
07-19-2005, 09:23 AM

I think this is a bad idea...we will have a flurry of WSJoshes out there clicking away like monkeys to meet the quota. Do you really want to open that can of worms?

BTW...I think this is an excellent idea, even though I may not be able to "make the cut" with restrictions like the one above. If anything, limit it by years as a member, but if it is open to all, then I want in.

DaveIsHere
07-19-2005, 09:24 AM
The wife and i would be there

itsnotrequired
07-19-2005, 09:31 AM
I think this is a bad idea...we will have a flurry of WSJoshes out there clicking away like monkeys to meet the quota. Do you really want to open that can of worms?

BTW...I think this is an excellent idea, even though I may not be able to "make the cut" with restrictions like the one above. If anything, limit it by years as a member, but if it is open to all, then I want in.

I suppose some of the more crafty computer guys could set something up to find out who has been posting on a consistent basis and who has posted 500 times in the last week just to meet some benchmark. In any event, it seems to be more of a hassle than it is worth.

Idea = scrapped.

cheeses_h_rice
07-19-2005, 09:33 AM
Oh man, I can't wait to meet BMR in person.

LVSoxFan
07-19-2005, 09:38 AM
Well geez who said it had to involve ticketing?

Maybe he picks a game and a password can be circulated to those on the board who qualify for admittance to the patio, but we're on our own for tix?

This doesn't have to be that complicated; I'm sure they've had much more complex group outings at the Cell.

CHIsoxNation
07-19-2005, 09:41 AM
You can put that one on the board!

Jerko
07-19-2005, 09:44 AM
Well geez who said it had to involve ticketing?

Maybe he picks a game and a password can be circulated to those on the board who qualify for admittance to the patio, but we're on our own for tix?

This doesn't have to be that complicated; I'm sure they've had much more complex group outings at the Cell.

The patio closes at 7:30 IIRC. They don't sell patio passes without tickets, and when they kick you out of the patio, you have to go to your seats. So, unless he reserves an entire section for us, we'll all be separated by 7:30. Is it worth all this hassle just for 2 hours (or less)? Plus I'd like to watch the game with some fellow WSI'ers, not watch you all eat for 2 hours. :smile:

ramorgan1
07-19-2005, 09:57 AM
You can put me in the seats... YES!:supernana:

DenverSock
07-19-2005, 10:03 AM
I'd love to go, but obviously couldn't unless you guys could arrange it far enough in advance that I could make arrangements to fly out, etc. Get some TV recognition as well if I see you guys on TV it'd make my day.:bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :D: :gulp: :gulp: Here's to you guys.

BTW tht's my imitation of the party to come.

skottyj242
07-19-2005, 10:04 AM
I would be in but I can see how this would be a huge hassle for the people who are running it. I really think the idea of having an individual ticket agent being responsible for just that evening but is that a feasable option? Also would it be open to friends too? I am all about meeting and partying with fellow WSI folk but it would be nice to know at least one person when you walk in. I'm not married but I can see people's significant others getting mad if they're going to meet their "internet friends." As far as distrobution what about something along the lines of a guest list?

mjharrison72
07-19-2005, 10:11 AM
I'm in... and I really don't see how this should be such a nightmare. It sounds like we have some very capable people (TornLabrum, Steff) on the WSI end who know ticket agents with the Sox, and are in touch with Brooks, who is interested in setting this up. I have complete faith that you guys will get it figured out, and it will be a great time!

Palehose13
07-19-2005, 10:12 AM
I'm in unless there is something here that I absolutely MUST be at...you know, something that I can't skip. :wink:

NonetheLoaiza
07-19-2005, 10:15 AM
I'd love to do something like this. Sounds like a great idea. It is really a testament to how the organization wants to reward and recognize their family of fans.

Procol Harum
07-19-2005, 10:17 AM
Are you kiddin'? This would be tres groovy! I am sho' nuff there! It'd be way cool to take in a Sox game with the WSI homies--the Soxiest of the Soxy.
:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

kevingrt
07-19-2005, 10:31 AM
I'd be there in a heart beat. Would be a greta event, and it would make this site so much closer. I also think we could meet SoxTalk members, and maybe we could calm the fire that has been between the sites for a couple years.

Brook's is a genius that tries to cater to everyone's needs. A brilliant idea I just hope it works out.

As for the distribution of tickets... I have no clue how to do it. :D:

itsjustinf
07-19-2005, 10:32 AM
I haven't been here that long, but if after all the logistics are figured out I am eligible to be part of it, I would absolutely be there.

ewokpelts
07-19-2005, 10:44 AM
The patio closes at 7:30 IIRC. They don't sell patio passes without tickets, and when they kick you out of the patio, you have to go to your seats. So, unless he reserves an entire section for us, we'll all be separated by 7:30. Is it worth all this hassle just for 2 hours (or less)? Plus I'd like to watch the game with some fellow WSI'ers, not watch you all eat for 2 hours. :smile:
actaully, they do sell patio ticket separatly now....but IF something were to go down, the sox would just set up phone/fax orders(like other large group outings)
Gene

house215
07-19-2005, 10:46 AM
If it was a game in September, I would be in for sure.

MUScholar21
07-19-2005, 10:52 AM
Why is everyone worried about logistics? It's a simple question-would you be interested?

I say hell yeah. We get a nice group together, and have some fun. We could utilize all the ideas that we have all kicked around this year and some of us have done-chant "Go, Go, Go" when Pods is on base, yell at the jackasses on their phones in our section, stop the "Cubs Suck" chants- and we could actually get some of them to catch on with the general populace. This is a fantastic idea, and I think we all would have a great time.

Jerko
07-19-2005, 11:03 AM
actaully, they do sell patio ticket separatly now....but IF something were to go down, the sox would just set up phone/fax orders(like other large group outings)
Gene

You still need a game ticket to get in though, no? It's not like we can decide Friday to go Friday and just walk in with a bunch of patio passes. Or do they sell them at full price to people who already have game tickets? From what I remember, it was 35 to get in the patio and you got the game ticket for half price. Admittedly, I haven't been down there in a few years though.

miker
07-19-2005, 11:10 AM
DO IT!

havelj
07-19-2005, 11:15 AM
I say "yes."

ChiSoxPatF
07-19-2005, 11:16 AM
You can count me in in a heartbeat. I've been tossing around the idea with some of my friends on this site that we should propose a day like this were we all go tailgating before hand. :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

mweflen
07-19-2005, 11:48 AM
Ding! Sign me up.

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-19-2005, 11:50 AM
sounds awsome

skottyj242
07-19-2005, 11:54 AM
Would we get the old The White Sox Welcome sign on the scoreboard? And can we boo if they do the same for Soxtalk?

steff
07-19-2005, 12:08 PM

No way. First come first serve. It's not the Sox job to keep track of the members here.. and post count does not have anything to do with levels of fandom.

Lord... this thread is going to end up in the roadhouse I just know it.

steff
07-19-2005, 12:11 PM
I'm in... and I really don't see how this should be such a nightmare. It sounds like we have some very capable people (TornLabrum, Steff) on the WSI end who know ticket agents with the Sox, and are in touch with Brooks, who is interested in setting this up. I have complete faith that you guys will get it figured out, and it will be a great time!

It'll all get worked out. BTW.. Scott Reifert (per Brooks) should be getting some kudo's on this as well.

steff
07-19-2005, 12:13 PM
Would we get the old The White Sox Welcome sign on the scoreboard? And can we boo if they do the same for Soxtalk?

To be qualified to attend you must have 700 posts. :rolleyes:

wsbaseball9
07-19-2005, 12:16 PM
thatd acctually be an awesome night

skottyj242
07-19-2005, 12:18 PM

That's it, I'm taking my ball and going home.

Hondo
07-19-2005, 12:28 PM
I'm in.

Brooks kicks butt

FielderJones
07-19-2005, 12:41 PM
Sounds great. Count me in!

Andy T Clown
07-19-2005, 12:55 PM
I'm in.:gulp:

VeeckAsInWreck
07-19-2005, 01:17 PM
Please count me in and don't forget about me!!!:(:

illinibk
07-19-2005, 01:18 PM
sure, if things can be worked out.

TornLabrum
07-19-2005, 01:27 PM
I'm back, and we have a contract for three more years, so I'm ready to attack this now.

First, I actually got two emails from Brooks today, and I'll reprint them here in a minute. First, though, I'm not about to get into anything that complicates the logistics of the issue like post counts or membership time. The Sox, as you will see, have a system set up to handle things, and as far as I'm concerned, we can use it on a first come first served basis.

Next, we still haven't talked about a date, but as you can see, Brooks is anxious to get started on this with a ticket rep today. I told him I have no objections to combining this with SoxTalk. We may be rivals on the internet (and to my mind any rivlary is in some people's minds and has no basis in fact bacause I know a number of people who frequent both sites), but we are Sox fans, and that seems to be a common ground for all kinds of people here who have very divergent viewpoints on non-baseball matters.

Please also note the credit for the idea in the second email.

Email #1:

Hal,

We have people on staff to take care of all of the logistics. It is a simple process for us. We will create a flyer to be distributed to posters at the site. They can fax or phone in an order directly to the White Sox. We will make it easy. Doing this type of work (and the fact that our team is playing so well) for groups has increased our group numbers over 40% this year. It is hard to be a point person for a group so we do it for people. Is there any issue combining WSI and Soxtalk.com?

Email #2:

I just read many of the posts about the game outing and I have a favor to ask. I seem to be getting the credit for the idea. The idea was not originally mine. It was Scott Reifert’s, our VP, Communications. I ran with his idea, reaching out to you and Alex at Soxtalk.com.

Scott has taken a few beatings at WSI, so if you would not mind, could you post that the idea originated from him and I ran with the ball? Scott is extremely passionate about the White Sox and truly cares about the fans and I would like the “Core of the Core” (I have officially dubbed WSI/Soxtalk.com as the “Core of the Core”) to understand this.

I always like to give credit where credit is due.

On another note, I am pleased to see the reaction. I think it will be a fun night. I want to get one of our group reps on this today.

LVSoxFan
07-19-2005, 01:46 PM
Man how cool is it that they're reaching out to us like that?

Stand proud, WSI people, we are considered the core of the core!

halfpricemonday
07-19-2005, 01:55 PM
It doesn't matter if it's at the fan deck, patio, upper deck, or lower deck. It sounds like a great time, and I'd love to be a part of it (even if I have to leave my non-member, cub fan wife at home...:D: )

Are there any ideas on about how many people would be able to participate in this?

MUScholar21
07-19-2005, 01:56 PM
1) Great idea Scott, you have touched on something none of us could have put together without help from 35th and Shields (and by the way, love the blog)

2) Thanks for taking this seriously Brooks. It is always nice to have your ear.
Give me a phone number and a date, and you'll have my money.

ChiSoxPatF
07-19-2005, 01:56 PM
Maybe I missed it, but how has Scott Reifert gotten a verbal beating from us? I love our Sox and I don't think anyone has a beef with the running of the club (with the exception of those who may have take exception with something Kenny has done sometime). Least of all ripping on a VP of Communications.

Plus he's a star in my book for helping pull of the Podsednik campaign and now this.

So here's to you, Scott Reifert :gulp:

MUScholar21
07-19-2005, 01:59 PM
(even if I have to leave my non-member, cub fan wife at home...:D: )

:tealpolice:

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-19-2005, 02:00 PM
Hal - my hat tips to you in keeping the channels of communication open. Great work. KUDOS to BB for giving credit where credit is due...

I love the Core of the Core comment....definitely count me in.

TornLabrum
07-19-2005, 02:12 PM
It doesn't matter if it's at the fan deck, patio, upper deck, or lower deck. It sounds like a great time, and I'd love to be a part of it (even if I have to leave my non-member, cub fan wife at home...:D: )

Are there any ideas on about how many people would be able to participate in this?

No numbers have been mentioned yet.

skottyj242
07-19-2005, 02:13 PM
Who has a t-shirt guy? We have to get "Core of the Core" shirts printed for this grandest of events. I am looking forward to this. It's kind of like a company picnic considering we all spend most of our time at work talking here.

TornLabrum
07-19-2005, 02:16 PM
Hal - my hat tips to you in keeping the channels of communication open. Great work. KUDOS to BB for giving credit where credit is due...

I love the Core of the Core comment....definitely count me in.

No credit really goes to me. I've exchanged a few emails with Brooks regarding WCSF luncheons, and since I also write my column here, I assume that was the reason he wrote to me. If I get any credit, it's for thinking that the idea would go over as well as it would. As it turned out, I even underestimated the positive response. I mean nearly 50 responses between about 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m.? Whou woulda thunk it?

Steakpita
07-19-2005, 02:21 PM
I'm down for the cause - hopefully we can do it during a sox-twins game or something equally significant!

:bandance: I luuuuuuv the Patio!:gulp:

Eddie Gaedel
07-19-2005, 02:22 PM

No, no, it's by height, shortest first...:whistle:

Rocky Soprano
07-19-2005, 02:23 PM
Thank you Scott for keeping us in mind. It's really great to see that the "core of the core" are appreciated.

And Brooks thanks for running with the idea.

Irishsox1
07-19-2005, 02:23 PM
At this point since it seems like a go, where is the important information for the date going to be posted? Info like when do we call, who to call and what it will cost.

I'd hate to same I'm in, only to be busy the day I need to call in.

TornLabrum
07-19-2005, 02:32 PM
At this point since it seems like a go, where is the important information for the date going to be posted? Info like when do we call, who to call and what it will cost.

I'd hate to same I'm in, only to be busy the day I need to call in.

I'll let you know what the date is and what you'll need to do as soon as I hear something back from Brooks. Since I'm going to the game in 90 minutes or so, that may not be until tomorrow or even later.

kevingrt
07-19-2005, 02:59 PM
I'll let you know what the date is and what you'll need to do as soon as I hear something back from Brooks. Since I'm going to the game in 90 minutes or so, that may not be until tomorrow or even later.

Thanks for keeping us up to the minute on this Hal... you are the bestest

swanson24
07-19-2005, 03:14 PM
Threads posted like this one are why I love WSI. Keep the socks flying high. I don't know where this 2005 ride of a season is going to end at but I am loving the ride. WSI YES!
:cool:

ewokpelts
07-19-2005, 03:15 PM
You still need a game ticket to get in though, no? It's not like we can decide Friday to go Friday and just walk in with a bunch of patio passes. Or do they sell them at full price to people who already have game tickets? From what I remember, it was 35 to get in the patio and you got the game ticket for half price. Admittedly, I haven't been down there in a few years though.

yes,
you still gotta have a ticket...but patio passes are sold day of game(if patio isnt sold out) gate 2 ONLY
Gene

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-19-2005, 03:45 PM
Core of the Core shirts, with a nice Sox logo on the back....available only to these select participants....hmmmm..I need to ask someone I know about this...I got a contact for tshirts.

QueerGirrl
07-19-2005, 03:53 PM
:smile: Count me in!! This is going to be awesome, I can't wait to meet more of my WSI brothers and sisters. :gulp:

steff
07-19-2005, 03:54 PM
Core of the Core shirts, with a nice Sox logo on the back....available only to these select participants....hmmmm..I need to ask someone I know about this...I got a contact for tshirts.

Available to what select participants.. ? Only those here.. or all those attending the event..??

BridgePortNative
07-19-2005, 03:56 PM
I would go, cost is not a problem, I live about a 1/2 mile away, only problem is that I may be stuck with my Class B uniform on weekdays, on weekends, not a problem. I definite YES for me

Eddie Gaedel
07-19-2005, 04:06 PM

i think it would make a great addition to the flyingsock.com tshirts available at http://www.cafepress.com/flyingsock.

'flyingsock.com - core of the core'

The Dude
07-19-2005, 04:36 PM
Where do I sign up?? Great idea Brooks!:D:
also...

:threadrules:

Tekijawa
07-19-2005, 04:51 PM
MMMMMMMMMMMMM, I like core of the core!

SoxFanTillDeath
07-19-2005, 04:56 PM
You can count me in in a heartbeat. I've been tossing around the idea with some of my friends on this site that we should propose a day like this were we all go tailgating before hand. :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

Yeah, I just threw this idea out there a week or so ago.

I think this is an awesome idea. The only problem is I could only go on a Saturday because I work 2 full time jobs and Saturday is my only off day.

Hal, as Stiller said, "Do it."

By the way, I offer my services with whatever is needed. I'm sure everything will probably be taken care of by Hal, steff, and whoever else, but if it's needed I can help out. I've taken a bunch of large groups to games before (never 5,000, obviously), and if any database work is required to keep track of WSI tickets that's what I specialize in (which I'm sure I'm not the only one and probably not even close to the best on this board).

Did I put enough disclaimers in that sentence? The short: email me if you need help.

chitownhawkfan
07-19-2005, 04:57 PM
My two universes are colliding. This is great. I havent been a member long, and do not visit Soxtalk is there some discontent between the two?

soxjim
07-19-2005, 05:36 PM
I was just thinking of this today while at work. It would be a lot of fun. GO SOX

SAVVY18
07-19-2005, 05:49 PM
Now this is what you call caring about the fans. Awesome Idea. Nice to see an organization caring about the fans instead of taking advantage of them.

ewokpelts
07-19-2005, 05:51 PM
Now this is what you call caring about the fans. Awesome Idea. Nice to see an organization caring about the fans instead of taking advantage of them.
they care, but they aren't giving us free tickets... in sales, rewarding loyal customers is a proven method to extract more sales from said customers

Gene

chisoxfanatic
07-19-2005, 06:20 PM
If cost is a problem to some of you, I can help out by providing free parking. I am a resident of Bridgeport and have the resident parking permit on my car. Though I live on Union, I drive to the 3400 block of S. Wells and park right there on the street where you see the signs that say "No parking during ballgames without resident parking permit" for absolutely no cost. My car seats four extra, so if money is an issue to you and this option would allow you to attend, let me know!

Jjav829
07-19-2005, 06:26 PM
I might have interest, depending on when it is. :smile:

TommyJohn
07-19-2005, 06:44 PM
Count me in if this goes down. I have only met a couple of WSIers in person
and know only a few more on sight. I'd like to meet more people. The way
people are on these boards, I think an outing with everyone would be a great
time.

pearso66
07-19-2005, 07:07 PM
I'd be in, and I'm sure my brother who is also a member of WSI, although he doesnt post much, would go, it just all depends on when.

hsnterprize
07-19-2005, 07:32 PM
This is a GREAT idea. It's been sais several times, but kudos to the SOx for acknowledging their fans on the internet!!!!! And to think, I had a dream I was the owner of the Sox, and one of the first things I did when I took over was to give signage to WSI on the outfield wall or something. Just a thought.

Hoffdaddydmb
07-19-2005, 07:35 PM
I'm in, just depends when the date is. I go back to school on August 22nd, but I might be willing to come home for the game

champagne030
07-19-2005, 07:38 PM
Thank you Scott for keeping us in mind. It's really great to see that the "core of the core" are appreciated.

And Brooks thanks for running with the idea.

Absolutely! This is a great idea, Scott.

whitesoxwilkes
07-19-2005, 09:05 PM
Scott and Brooks...great idea...and you can count me in, yesssss.

jake27
07-19-2005, 09:06 PM
i LOVE this idea. thanks hal, brooks, and scott. i will be there in a second! ive never met a wsi guy in person and it would be cool meeting all of yall. i hope things are strightened out before saturday, i go on vacation for a week and might miss out on getting tickets for this.

i also love "the core of the core" :supernana:

SOXintheBURGH
07-19-2005, 09:57 PM
That's unreal. Could you imagine?

:hawk
"I love WSI."

Gigantor
07-19-2005, 10:00 PM
Yes that would be great.....just smashing.
And Brett, whats up?

havelj
07-19-2005, 11:10 PM
Thanks Hal, Scott and Brooks.

How about this for the date of the game?
Game 1 of ALDS?

Gotta dream! :wink:

TimoandAaron
07-19-2005, 11:24 PM
this idea sucks for me. It sounds like fun but i have ONE HUGE PROBLEM. i dont think my mom will let me go to U.S. Cellular fiels by myself.:angry: :mad: :(: :whiner: :angry: :mad: :(: :whiner:

DrCrawdad
07-20-2005, 12:49 AM
Schedule permitting, I'd love to go.

Kudos to Reifort, Boyer and the Sox brass for reaching out to the passionate group of Sox fans that assemble here.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-20-2005, 06:50 AM
Available to what select participants.. ? Only those here.. or all those attending the event..??

I say those attending...then maybe available only thru the websites....but, since it's Brooks' wording....maybe the WS can "design" something....split the proceeds with WS Charities and the team...available the night of the outing then only on the websites...thoughts???

steff
07-20-2005, 07:47 AM
I say those attending...then maybe available only thru the websites....but, since it's Brooks' wording....maybe the WS can "design" something....split the proceeds with WS Charities and the team...available the night of the outing then only on the websites...thoughts???

Split with the charities.. that's a nice idea. I'd do that in a heartbeat. I don't know if I mentioned it before but $97 went to WS charities from the overpayments on the wristbands I sent out to posters here and at Soxtalk.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-20-2005, 08:09 AM
Split with the charities.. that's a nice idea. I'd do that in a heartbeat. I don't know if I mentioned it before but $97 went to WS charities from the overpayments on the wristbands I sent out to posters here and at Soxtalk.

Yeah I saw that....I didn't order one (in time) but saw the response. Very nice contribution!!

Hangar18
07-20-2005, 08:21 AM

Nice one Steff

Heffalump
07-20-2005, 08:24 AM
[QUOTE=DrCrawdad]Schedule permitting, I'd love to go. [QUOTE]

Same here...Count me in !!

LuvSox
07-20-2005, 08:29 AM
Wow. I spend one day at work and look at this thread. I would LOVE to meet all of you. I'm in, for sure.

brewcrew/chisox
07-20-2005, 07:19 PM
I'd love to be there. Great idea, and can't wait to meet all of you

robiwho
07-20-2005, 08:34 PM
Who could say no? Sounds like a blast!

alohafri
07-20-2005, 08:42 PM
Just so long as the date doesn't coincide with Nomadsfest...

Brian26
07-20-2005, 08:54 PM
Maybe I missed it, but how has Scott Reifert gotten a verbal beating from us?

Heh heh. You missed it. Ask PHG for the details :D:

PicktoCLick72
07-20-2005, 09:19 PM
I'm in

DumpJerry
07-21-2005, 01:41 AM
I haven't read the entire thread, but I would love to be there. What about those of us who already have tickets for the game selected? I'm talking season ticket holders, Ozzie and Minnie Plan people, etc. Can we trade our tickets in for the proper seating section?

TornLabrum
07-21-2005, 09:55 AM
I just received an email from a ticket rep. from the sox. I tried to call him back immediately but got his voicemail. I left a message to contact me this afternoon since I'm going to be in and out of the house this morning. I am hopeful that we'll be able to come up with a date that is convenient for as many as possible.

I talked to an rep. back in May, however, and he told me that weekend dates were getting scarce back then, so I'm not sure how that will work out. I'll start a new thread when we have something concrete.

MUScholar21
07-21-2005, 10:02 AM
I just received an email from a ticket rep. from the sox. I tried to call him back immediately but got his voicemail. I left a message to contact me this afternoon since I'm going to be in and out of the house this morning. I am hopeful that we'll be able to come up with a date that is convenient for as many as possible.

I talked to an rep. back in May, however, and he told me that weekend dates were getting scarce back then, so I'm not sure how that will work out. I'll start a new thread when we have something concrete.

I had talked to a ticket rep last week and she said all Saturday patio days are sold out. Part of the problem is the big, traditional sell-out games coming up. But I'm okay with a Friday or Sunday game-maybe even the Twins series, last game of the season? What better game to go to as a group?

soxfanreggie
07-21-2005, 10:05 AM
Gotta love the Sox working with messageboards. A lot of places, especially colleges hate them. Way to go Brooks! I would love a message board night...it would be cool.

ChiSoxPatF
07-21-2005, 10:39 AM
Maybe Mr Boyer and Mr Reifert would like to consider setting up a patio ticket plan for the "Core of the Core" for a playoff game.... eh, eh:cheers: . I'm sure they haven't sold out those patio tickets yet. I'm just trying to make life more convenient for them, thats all....

TornLabrum
07-21-2005, 11:24 AM
Maybe Mr Boyer and Mr Reifert would like to consider setting up a patio ticket plan for the "Core of the Core" for a playoff game.... eh, eh:cheers: . I'm sure they haven't sold out those patio tickets yet. I'm just trying to make life more convenient for them, thats all....

The email from the ticket rep specifically mentioned a patio party.

Iron Dragon
07-21-2005, 02:08 PM
Hey, I'm for it. Don't know if I could get there, but I'd try!

Brian26
07-21-2005, 02:55 PM
The patio parties are really nice spreads....all you can eat rib tips, hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken, potato salad....good stuff.

Soxheads
07-21-2005, 09:31 PM
We love the idea over at Soxtalk too. This is truly a unique and cool opportunity, and Brooks (and Scott :)) are nothing but class acts. I'm the Alex over there that's being referred to. I doubt I'd make it, but it sounds like it'll be a blast.

DumpJerry
07-22-2005, 07:17 AM
I'm wondering if we're too deep in the season to pull this off given other commitments the team has to other groups which have limited the number of games available. Maybe inviting us to the season ticket holder party or holding a separate party for us would be easier to do and then plan a game outing next season during the off-season when ticket availability is high?

Edit: I just read the thread that was created for the game. Great work! However, an off season party would be great, nonetheless.

Pulaski
07-23-2005, 11:00 AM
Cab you say Jackpot!!!!

U.S. Comiscular
07-24-2005, 01:56 PM
Instead of outfield seats, what if they also took over the Bullpen Sports Bar for the game, and got together with ESPN 1000 and made sure the Pre & Post game show were broadcast from there on a Friday or Saturday night. Heck Jerry could get his TV station to do their Pre & Post game show to broadcast from there and show on TV just how much fun we have at games.

BigHurt359300
07-24-2005, 08:37 PM
does anyone have brooks' email? i know this has come up before, but i cant find it, thanks guys

TornLabrum
07-24-2005, 08:47 PM
does anyone have brooks' email? i know this has come up before, but i cant find it, thanks guys

bboyer@chisox.com

BigHurt359300
07-24-2005, 08:54 PM
bboyer@chisox.com

thanx a bunch

RadioheadRocks
07-24-2005, 10:10 PM
I like it too... once a date is set I'll get everything in motion and come to town for it! :D: