PDA

View Full Version : More bias and bs from EastSPN

GoGoSoxReborn
07-18-2005, 11:30 PM
So after a great come from behind win against a division rival where the former star and face of the organization for the past few seasons is playing his former team who is currently the best team in baseball, just months after a very ugly and highly publisized break-up in the offseason I turned on ESPN to watch some of the highlights of the game.

I should have known though that the first four games shown on Sportscenter were Boston, Yankees, Orioles, and the Cubs. More great journalism from our friends at ESPN.

LuvSox
07-18-2005, 11:35 PM
No offense, but this subject has been beat to death. Sounds like roadhouse material.

balke
07-18-2005, 11:36 PM
Imagine how the Cardinals feel.

illinibk
07-18-2005, 11:37 PM
So after a great come from behind win against a division rival where the former star and face of the organization for the past few seasons is playing his former team who is currently the best team in baseball, just months after a very ugly and highly publisized break-up in the offseason I turned on ESPN to watch some of the highlights of the game.

I should have known though that the first four games shown on Sportscenter were Boston, Yankees, Orioles, and the Cubs. More great journalism from our friends at ESPN.
I have no problem with htem showing the AL east teams. They are in a tight race, and are more interesting than a team who is running away wit the division, best record or not. Derrek Lee had a good game, so they are having a good time crowning him the triple crown winner two and a half months before the end of the season. Now I am sure they would be pimping those teams bigtime if they had the same resume the Sox do at this point in the season, but no harm in what they are doing in this case.

FedEx227
07-18-2005, 11:48 PM
i wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even do a white sox highlight...

maybe Crede will get a touch 'em all, sky is the limit after that.

Optipessimism
07-19-2005, 12:03 AM

I was thinking the same thing. What do they have to do to get some attention? You always hear about the Flubs on sportscenter, but never about the Cards. The Cards played a decent team in Milwaukee and the lowly Flubs played the dead on arrival Reds, yet ESPN goes nuts over this.

I'm not even going to say anything about all the footage on the no-pitching AL East. IMO, it would take a combination of the entire pitching staffs all five teams in the AL East to create one starting rotation and one bullpen that would be on par with what the Sox alone have. And, the bulk of that bullpen and starting rotation would come from Baltimore and Toronto.

The AL East is complete garbage this year and no one over at ESPN wants to admit anything about it. If you take the Twins, the Indians, or the Tigers and throw them in the AL East in place of a team like Tampa Bay, Boston and New York are probably looking up from five or six games down in the standings.

You know what I want to see? I want to see the Twins or Indians take the wildcard from New York while the Sox sweep Boston in the ALDS. Then we will see what kind of excuses these idiots will give for an all-Central ALCS.

TornLabrum
07-19-2005, 12:08 AM
Cheer up. ESPN will be forced to feature the Sox Thursday through Sunday. Let's just hope we take at least 3 out of 4 in that series.

Optipessimism
07-19-2005, 12:09 AM
i wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even do a white sox highlight...

maybe Crede will get a touch 'em all, sky is the limit after that.

I was surprised to see that they actually showed all four of the Sox HR's today in that eight second or whatever spot they did on the game. They fail to mention anything about Maggs return to Chicago, and completely fail to give any props to Douglass for dominating the game until the bullpen threw up all over the place.

MIgrenade
07-19-2005, 01:31 PM

I just thought about this today. They get less pub than the Sox do and they are only 2 games back for the best record in MLB. It's sad that the media doesn't care about the midwest, but they will have to if the Sox and Cards are in the Series.

buehrle4cy05
07-19-2005, 01:40 PM
I just thought about this today. They get less pub than the Sox do and they are only 2 games back for the best record in MLB. It's sad that the media doesn't care about the midwest, but they will have to if the Sox and Cards are in the Series.

Next on Sportscenter: Yankees looking to make a big offseason splash?
Red Sox looking at Abreu
Long-lasting impact of the Choi-Lee trade
Patriots vs. Jets
Phil Jackson back in the seat
World Series features many former Yankees and Red Sox. See how these players (but not the teams) did next.

ChiSoxPatF
07-19-2005, 02:50 PM
Next on Sportscenter:
Jeter makes a catch! We have take a 30 minute look at Jeter's greatest plays.
Peter Gammons tells us which players the Red Sox WON'T acquire.
We will tell you why Billy Beane is the son of god.
More on the fantastic 2004 WS Red Sox.
We take a further look at the Curse of the Billy Goat. Whose to blame? Jay Marrioti tells us why its Jerry Reinsdorf.

Next on Baseball Tonight:
A whole show dedicated to showing you the Yankees, Red Sox, and Cubs highlights.
John Kruk tells you why Jason Giambi is back (for the 10th time)

Later on Outside the Lines:
The Yankees have climbed back in first place and have begun printing WS tickets. We take a look at the struggle's of being a Yankees fan who hasn't seen a Championship since 2000.

ilsox7
07-19-2005, 02:52 PM
Next on Sportscenter:
We take a further look at the Curse of the Billy Goat. Whose to blame? Jay Marrioti tells us why its Jerry Reinsdorf.

A whole show dedicated to showing you the Yankees, Red Sox, and Cubs highlights.

The Yankees have climbed back in first place and have begun printing WS tickets. We take a look at the struggle's of being a Yankees fan who hasn't seen a Championship since 2000.

Whoa. Teal, dude, teal.

gobears1987
07-19-2005, 02:53 PM
Next on Sportscenter:

For 1 thing, AGGHH! MY EYES! :tealtutor::tealpolice: "step out of the vehicle with your hands where I can see them"

But on another point, this is a great post. It would be extremely funny if everything you said wasn't so true. I hate ESPN.

davenicholson
07-19-2005, 02:54 PM
Next on Sportscenter:
Jnship since 2000.
Dude,
As a courtesy to the others, I truncated your quote. But I'm sending you the Advil bill for this. Owwwwwwwwww!

TornLabrum
07-19-2005, 03:01 PM
Next on Sportscenter:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!! MY EYES!!!!!

ChiSoxPatF
07-19-2005, 03:16 PM
Apologies. I didn't even noticed I selected the wrong color until I came back. Free advil for whoever needs one.

cheeses_h_rice
07-19-2005, 03:44 PM
I do believe that Manny Ramirez going inside the Fenway scoreboard last night got more total time than the entire Sox/Tigers game.

God I hope the White Sox mop up this weekend.

Hangar18
07-19-2005, 03:48 PM
Why does the Media love the cubs so much? Just because theyre an easier story to write, does not make them a "great" team .....

TaylorStSox
07-19-2005, 03:59 PM
When a guy, who's chasing the Triple Crown, hits 2 HR's it's a big story. Sorry.

Hangar18
07-19-2005, 03:59 PM
Apologies. I didn't even noticed I selected the wrong color until I came back. Free advil for whoever needs one.

Isnt this Ole No. 2's signature? :smile:

SoxFan78
07-19-2005, 04:02 PM
When a guy, who's chasing the Triple Crown, hits 2 HR's it's a big story. Sorry.

I doubt if Derrick Lee was on the White Sox, or Padres, or any team that isn't the Cubs, Red Sox or Yankees, the story would be getting the same amount of pub.

Doubt me?

Think about this. If the three teams mentioned above had the White Sox record, would they be getting the coverage the White Sox are getting now?

I think not.

Hangar18
07-19-2005, 04:03 PM

OK. Whats the bigger story (The Chicago Media have already implicitly answered this question)

* Guy whos chasing a supposed Triple Crown hitting 2 homers (off awful Reds AA Pitching)
OR
* Team with Best Record in Baseball comes back to WIN game again and hasnt
been to a World Series since 1959

I think I know what the bigger story should be ........

TaylorStSox
07-19-2005, 04:06 PM
OK. Whats the bigger story (The Chicago Media have already implicitly answered this question)

* Guy whos chasing a supposed Triple Crown hitting 2 homers (off awful Reds AA Pitching)
OR
* Team with Best Record in Baseball comes back to WIN game again and hasnt
been to a World Series since 1959

I think I know what the bigger story should be ........

Right. Most of the country doesn't agree with you though. Deal with it and stop moaning about it EVERY DAY.

Hangar18
07-19-2005, 04:07 PM
I doubt if Derrick Lee was on the White Sox, or Padres, or any team that isn't the Cubs, Red Sox or Yankees, the story would be getting the same amount of pub.

Doubt me?

Think about this. If the three teams mentioned above had the White Sox record, would they be getting the coverage the White Sox are getting now?

I think not.

Thats what makes me SICK to my stomach ......... and GRATEFUL at the same time. Thank god its not the cubs with our record ....... ESPN and the Media would be HOGWILD covering them QUINTUPLING our coverage ........
as it is right now .... were barely beating them in coverage

maurice
07-19-2005, 04:09 PM
I do believe that Manny Ramirez going inside the Fenway scoreboard last night got more total time than the entire Sox/Tigers game.

To be fair, whenever CLee went to take a mid-inning leak in the LF bullpen at the Cell, ESPN always devoted at least 20 minutes to the story.

Hangar18
07-19-2005, 04:13 PM
Right. Most of the country doesn't agree with you though. Deal with it and stop moaning about it EVERY DAY.

"most of the country" doesnt want to watch Cub hilites as much as ESPN
WANTS you to THINK they want to watch the Cubs. I think you got
ESPN'd TaylorStSox !!

TaylorStSox
07-19-2005, 04:17 PM
ESPN'd TaylorStSox !!

Now, why would ESPN be involved in a conspiracy to promote Cubs baseball? That's just stupid.

ESPN is a private organization that can report whatever the hell they want. They spend a ton of money to find out what the majority of the public wants to hear. The fact is, there's a massive amount of Cubs fans around the country that want to hear about their team. Guess what, I DON'T CARE!!!

Kogs35
07-19-2005, 04:21 PM
ESPN'd TaylorStSox !!

hangar prepare for puke fest on espn sunday night baseball this weekand flub-cards then aug7th flubs-mets and the 14th flubs-cards again

Hangar18
07-19-2005, 04:23 PM
Now, why would ESPN be involved in a conspiracy to promote Cubs baseball? That's just stupid.

ESPN is a private organization that can report whatever the hell they want.

This is the same "private organization" that loves to promote the Yankees and the Red Sox as well. Why would they do that? Because they want to
promote whats good for baseball. Just because the high-and-mighty ESPN
refuses to report certain things doesnt mean its not news .......

Hangar18
07-19-2005, 04:24 PM
hangar prepare for puke fest on espn sunday night baseball this weekand flub-cards then aug7th flubs-mets and the 14th flubs-cards again

The Cubs are on National TV that many times?
Who says ESPN isnt interested in PROMOTING CUBS BASEBALL ???

TaylorStSox
07-19-2005, 04:25 PM
This is the same "private organization" that loves to promote the Yankees and the Red Sox as well. Why would they do that? Because they want to
promote whats good for baseball. Just because the high-and-mighty ESPN
refuses to report certain things doesnt mean its not news .......

I agree with that. However, the Yankees, Cubs and Red Sox have the biggest fan bases in baseball. Majority rules.

White Sox Josh
07-19-2005, 04:26 PM
to be fair it is Cubs-Cardinals. With that being said this isn't even a good match up anymore. Does ESPN have flexible schedules though for SNB? I know MNF doesn't have that yet.

SoxFan78
07-19-2005, 04:31 PM
I agree with that. However, the Yankees, Cubs and Red Sox have the biggest fan bases in baseball. Majority rules.

One could argue though that the reason that the Yankees, Cubs and Red Sox have the biggest fan bases is because they get the most media coverage.

Hangar18
07-19-2005, 04:34 PM
One could argue though that the reason that the Yankees, Cubs and Red Sox have the biggest fan bases is because they get the most media coverage.

BINGO. Hangars Post of the Day. Ive been saying this for years, while
the Media conveniently switched gears and began saying how "great" their "Fans" are all the time, anyone notice that? Dont let them tell you otherwise,
its all HYPE and I dont Believe any of it. Classic Chicken vs. Egg argument

TaylorStSox
07-19-2005, 04:35 PM

Or, one could argue that they're the most densely populated areas in the country. The Dodgers are right up there as well but the California teams haven't existed long enough. Frankly, California doesn't seem like the type of place where people religiously follow baseball.

SoxFan78
07-19-2005, 04:36 PM
Or, one could argue that they're the most densely populated areas in the country. The Dodgers are right up there as well but the California teams haven't existed long enough. Frankly, California doesn't seem like the type of place where people religiously follow baseball.

If thats true, then how come the Mets and the White Sox aren't media darlings like the other big 3?

maurice
07-19-2005, 04:37 PM
It's a huge stretch to say that the cubs are popular because of population density but not media promotion. The Sox share the same density as the cubs, but not the same hype machine. At least the Yanks have all those rings. The cubs suck. Trib Co. is the key to their popularity.

Kogs35
07-19-2005, 04:38 PM
to be fair it is Cubs-Cardinals. With that being said this isn't even a good match up anymore. Does ESPN have flexible schedules though for SNB? I know MNF doesn't have that yet.

from the first sunday in july- the 2cd to last week of the season ESPN chooses games on 2 weeks notice and on. sometimes its 3 weeks but not usually 4.

TaylorStSox
07-19-2005, 04:40 PM
If thats true, then how come the Mets and the White Sox aren't media darlings like the other big 3?

The Mets is an easy one. They've only existed for 40 years. Their competition has the richest history in all of sports. The Yankees popularity is a no brainer. They're the best organization American sport has ever seen.

For whatever reason people identify with the Cubs. Maybe it's because they view them as underdogs. Maybe our history is forever scarred because we were caught throwing the World Series. I don't know why the Cubs are more popular. They just are. It's fact. Honestly, I don't couldn't give a ****. Good for them.

Hangar18
07-19-2005, 04:43 PM

Actually, its the Yankees, Cubs and Braves with the supposed "most loyal fans" bogus tag. The Red Sox are there now because theyre the flavor-of-the-moment by winning the Series. What do the Cubs, Yanks and Braves all have in common? THEY ALL HAVE HUGE TV SUPERSTATIONS as a vehicle.

Taking that into consideration, and eliminating them from the following question, who do you think are some of the most "loyal" fans? That is, fans that follow the team on the road and considered the most hardcore? Its a short list, but id put the Cardinals, White SOX, Twinks, Indians, Tiggers, Orioles
on this list.

I think SOX FANS Deserve the most loyal tag ...... because
we have such a strong, vocal and rabid following DESPITE no tv coverage, No over-the-top Hype from our home-town media, and complete ignorance from the National media. Its amazing to walk into a Petco park or Dodger Stadium and see the huge numbers of SOX fans who are there to see their team ..........and realize were still being ignored anyway

TheOldRoman
07-19-2005, 04:43 PM
I don't know, there is no explanation for it. Why does the Chicago media participate in the conpiracy? The Cubune created the Cubs in their present form. Through brilliant marketing, they have turned an ugly, dilapidated, urine soaked hell hole into a mecca for yuppies, fratboys, and yokels from Iowa. It is obvious why they would go to immoral and yellow lengths to promote their product while destroying the other, but there is NO explanation as to why the Scum Times does it. As someone said before, they try to out-Cub the Tribune. The Sun times could expose such things as: wrigleyville is much more dangerous than Bridgeport; Cubs fans are mindless sheep; wrigleyville rapes; property destruction in "lakeview" after games. They could cover both teams in an equal manner. They could write stories about the Sox that weren't condescending. They could tell readers that there ARE bars and restaraunts around the Cell, instead of writing more fluff pieces about Wrigleyville and rooftops.

The Suntimes helped create the Cubs monster. It makes no sense whatsoever, considering they are putting money into their opponent's pocket, but they did it anyway. They ran fluff stories about the urinal, they ran fluff stories on their "loyal" fans, they promoted the urinal while bashing the cell, they run non-stop attendance articles, and the continue to talk about Chicago being a Cubs town. They ran with the "magical" 1984 Cubs season, and chose their alliance then. They mention Ligue and Dybass everytime a fan does something dumb, but never talk about the Cubs fan stealing a hat from the Dodgers' bullpen or Randy Myers being attacked on the mound. They never talk about whiskey bottles being hurled into the outfield. They run fluff pieces about the great history the Cubs have, but nothing for the Sox. On a slow day, Santo is always a story, but I have never once seen them write about Aparicio, Fisk, or Jim Landis.

It has gotten to the point that all involved realize how blatant it is, but are resorting to defending themselves. They say "the coverage is equal, but if it's not, its because there are more Cubs fans. Its a Cubs town." Maybe the Scum Times was smart, and figured out 20 years ago Cubs fans were mindless sheep who would buy anything positive written about them. They helped create this Cubs reign.

TaylorStSox
07-19-2005, 04:45 PM
Actually, its the Yankees, Cubs and Braves with the supposed "most loyal fans" bogus tag. The Red Sox are there now because theyre the flavor-of-the-moment by winning the Series. What do the Cubs, Yanks and Braves all have in common? THEY ALL HAVE HUGE TV SUPERSTATIONS as a vehicle.

Taking that into consideration, and eliminating them from the following question, who do you think are some of the most "loyal" fans? That is, fans that follow the team on the road and considered the most hardcore? Its a short list, but id put the Cardinals, White SOX, Twinks, Indians, Tiggers, Orioles
on this list.

I think SOX FANS Deserve the most loyal tag ...... because
we have such a strong, vocal and rabid following DESPITE no tv coverage, No over-the-top Hype from our home-town media, and complete ignorance from the National media. Its amazing to walk into a Petco park or Dodger Stadium and see the huge numbers of SOX fans who are there to see their team ..........and realize were still being ignored anyway

I'm not talking about most loyal. Who brought that up? I'm talking about pure numbers.

TaylorStSox
07-19-2005, 04:50 PM
I don't know, there is no explanation for it. Why does the Chicago media participate in the conpiracy? The Cubune created the Cubs in their present form. Through brilliant marketing, they have turned an ugly, dilapidated, urine soaked hell hole into a mecca for yuppies, fratboys, and yokels from Iowa. It is obvious why they would go to immoral and yellow lengths to promote their product while destroying the other, but there is NO explanation as to why the Scum Times does it. As someone said before, they try to out-Cub the Tribune. The Sun times could expose such things as: wrigleyville is much more dangerous than Bridgeport; Cubs fans are mindless sheep; wrigleyville rapes; property destruction in "lakeview" after games. They could cover both teams in an equal manner. They could write stories about the Sox that weren't condescending. They could tell readers that there ARE bars and restaraunts around the Cell, instead of writing more fluff pieces about Wrigleyville and rooftops.

The Suntimes helped create the Cubs monster. It makes no sense whatsoever, considering they are putting money into their opponent's pocket, but they did it anyway. They ran fluff stories about the urinal, they ran fluff stories on their "loyal" fans, they promoted the urinal while bashing the cell, they run non-stop attendance articles, and the continue to talk about Chicago being a Cubs town. They ran with the "magical" 1984 Cubs season, and chose their alliance then. They mention Ligue and Dybass everytime a fan does something dumb, but never talk about the Cubs fan stealing a hat from the Dodgers' bullpen or Randy Myers being attacked on the mound. They never talk about whiskey bottles being hurled into the outfield. They run fluff pieces about the great history the Cubs have, but nothing for the Sox. On a slow day, Santo is always a story, but I have never once seen them write about Aparicio, Fisk, or Jim Landis.

It has gotten to the point that all involved realize how blatant it is, but are resorting to defending themselves. They say "the coverage is equal, but if it's not, its because there are more Cubs fans. Its a Cubs town." Maybe the Scum Times was smart, and figured out 20 years ago Cubs fans were mindless sheep who would buy anything positive written about them. They helped create this Cubs reign.

Local media is completely different. We're talking about national media. ESPN's only motivation for covering the east coast and Cubs baseball is ratings. The proof is the in the pudding. They obviously make more money by doing what they're doing. I have no problem with it. The world isn't fair. I'm in the minority on a broad scale of issues. So what? That's life. I enjoy White Sox baseball. If we're not beloved by the rest of the country, then so be it. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm in Illini fan as well. Do I care that Duke and UNC basketball is a bigger story? No. This actually affects our program in a much bigger way. It hurts recruiting.

MarySwiss
07-19-2005, 05:17 PM

I disagree. And no doubt I'll get flamed for this, but

a) I guarantee that, throughout the country, there are lots more fans who hate the Yankees than there are those who love them.
b) IIRC, prior (sorry!) to last year, the Red Sox didn't get anywhere near the media attention they are getting these days. And many "true" fans empathized with them. But I think that, these days, most people who don't live in New England wish the New England teams--in every sport--would just GO AWAY.
c) (shameless self-promotion alert) In my Sound Off piece, I pointed out that Cubs fans were largely Wrigley Field fans. The point that Morrissey made in his article when he quoted that guy who said "Wrigleyville is the biggest beer garden in the world. And if you turned the seats the other way in Wrigley Field, it'd still sell out" is inarguable. To say the Cubs have a large "fan" base is--again in my opinion--inacurate; they have a large "Isn't Wrigley cute and aren't the Cubbies lovable?" base.

In short, the national media should--but probably never will--wake up to the fact that the East Coast does not make up the entire country. Call me naive, but I just hope that after we win the World Series, they'll get that.

Okay, I'm done ranting (for now). But I'm seriously thinking about taking on that Twins chick next!

Meanwhile--GO SOX!

TaylorStSox
07-19-2005, 05:20 PM
I disagree. And no doubt I'll get flamed for this, but

a) I guarantee that, throughout the country, there are lots more fans who hate the Yankees than there are those who love them.
b) IIRC, prior (sorry!) to last year, the Red Sox didn't get anywhere near the media attention they are getting these days. And many "true" fans empathized with them. But I think that, these days, most people who don't live in New England wish the New England teams--in every sport--would just GO AWAY.
c) (shameless self-promotion alert) In my Sound Off piece, I pointed out that Cubs fans were largely Wrigley Field fans. The point that Morrissey made in his article when he quoted that guy who said "Wrigleyville is the biggest beer garden in the world. And if you turned the seats the other way in Wrigley Field, it'd still sell out" is inarguable. To say the Cubs have a large "fan" base is--again in my opinion--inacurate; they have a large "Isn't Wrigley cute and aren't the Cubbies lovable?" base.

In short, the national media should--but probably never will--wake up to the fact that the East Coast does not make up the entire country. Call me naive, but I just hope that after we win the World Series, they'll get that.

Okay, I'm done ranting (for now). But I'm seriously thinking about taking on that Twins chick next!

Meanwhile--GO SOX!

Even if people hate the Yankees, it generate interest. You simply can't argue that any sports franchise, in America, is close to the Yankees.

MarySwiss
07-19-2005, 05:26 PM
Even if people hate the Yankees, it generate interest. You simply can't argue that any sports franchise, in America, is close to the Yankees.

Good point, Taylor, and you're right about that. But if I may pick a nit, hating the Yankees does not automatically translate to "biggest fan base" and therefore shouldn't justify the disproportionate amount of attention they receive.

In a perfect world, anyway!:smile:

maurice
07-19-2005, 05:30 PM
There's no doubt that the Yankees have every reason to be popular, but ESPN's East Coast Bias is mostly a product of their physical location and the personal biases of their employees. They are smack dab in the middle of the Yankees and the Red Sox. Gammons (for example) is a Boston writer who is obsessed with the Yankees and the Red Sox. ESPN executives also share this bias. Therefore, the Yankees and the Red Sox are the center of their baseball universe. Unfortunately, folks from that part of the country are notoriously narsissistic and just assume that everybody else must feel the same way about the Yankees and the Red Sox.

The Braves have their own media outlet and winning history to justify their popularity. The cubs are a different matter. Given their losing history, they are entirely a media creation.

Dick Allen
07-19-2005, 05:31 PM
Local media is completely different. We're talking about national media. ESPN's only motivation for covering the east coast and Cubs baseball is ratings. The proof is the in the pudding. They obviously make more money by doing what they're doing. I have no problem with it. The world isn't fair. I'm in the minority on a broad scale of issues. So what? That's life. I enjoy White Sox baseball. If we're not beloved by the rest of the country, then so be it. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm in Illini fan as well. Do I care that Duke and UNC basketball is a bigger story? No. This actually affects our program in a much bigger way. It hurts recruiting.Your points are well taken, TaylorSt. Some deal with these truths better than others. I personally would love to be able to ignore the cub media hype, but when it's being thrown in your face from all angles, at least for me, it's hard not to get extremely irritated.

ChiSoxPatF
07-19-2005, 07:20 PM
I think Maurice hit the nail on the head. Yes, these are large fan bases but so are alot of other teams. Heck, if there wasn't a large fanbase then there wouldn't be a baseball team in that city. Its not like they're ignoring the Podunk Mudcats - they've continually ignored half of Chicago, LA, Texas, St Louis, Florida, Seattle, and a ton of other large population centers.

Back to what Maurice said, you just need to look at their lineup of experts and their backgrounds. Almost every contributor to ESPN.com and every career journalist at ESPN's television stations have been lifelong New Yorkers or New Englanders who got their start and spent the majority of their careers following nothing but these two teams. Thus its all they know and all they care about reporting. What they need is some fresh blood from around the country that don't just bend over and smile to inflate their own egos (Mariotti). Heck, I'd be happy to have a guy from LA or Seattle or Minnesota or ANYWHERE just to lend a fresh perspective and tell us a little more about the entire league. I've heard more about the Boston and Yankee prospects than I'd ever care to know (Hanley Ramirez and Melky Cabrera have gotten more press than 15 other clubs).

Yes it makes sense that they focus on the this population center but they've become such homers that they do it at the expense of the other 97% of the American population that most, like me, have become so cynical about their coverage that I don't even bother with their shows anymore. I grew sick of waiting up late to watch highlights that they never show.