PDA

View Full Version : Ticket Font/Counterfeit Tickets

BRDSR
07-18-2005, 11:02 PM
Went down to the game tonight expecting to get some cheap $7 upper deck tickets but when they sold out I was reduced to talking to scalpers trying to pick up some tickets. As I made the rounds I noticed that of the tickets purchased at the White Sox box office(not the glossy, season tickets but the more "ticketmastery looking" tickets) the blanks were filled in with two different fonts. One was more bold and one looked just normal. The one that just looked normal didn't look right to me. I've seen a lot of White Sox tickets in my life and these ones just didn't look the same.

I didn't buy these tickets(or any others; scalpers were making a killing tonight) but did get into a rather heated discussion with one of the men that seemed to be a ringleader for a bunch of guys selling the suspicious looking tickets. My question is: has anyone else noticed what I'm talking about, that there are two sets of tickets, one with a bolder font and one without? Has anyone ever bought tickets from scalpers that didn't end up getting them into the park? Has anyone ever heard of counterfeit White Sox tickets?

kevingrt
07-18-2005, 11:22 PM
Thanks for posting this, but have never seen those. I am heading down to the game tomorrow, but don't believe it should be that close to a sell out. Hopefully, someone can find out more information about these suspicious tickets though.

skobabe8
07-18-2005, 11:24 PM
Went down to the game tonight expecting to get some cheap $7 upper deck tickets but when they sold out I was reduced to talking to scalpers trying to pick up some tickets. As I made the rounds I noticed that of the tickets purchased at the White Sox box office(not the glossy, season tickets but the more "ticketmastery looking" tickets) the blanks were filled in with two different fonts. One was more bold and one looked just normal. The one that just looked normal didn't look right to me. I've seen a lot of White Sox tickets in my life and these ones just didn't look the same.

I didn't buy these tickets(or any others; scalpers were making a killing tonight) but did get into a rather heated discussion with one of the men that seemed to be a ringleader for a bunch of guys selling the suspicious looking tickets. My question is: has anyone else noticed what I'm talking about, that there are two sets of tickets, one with a bolder font and one without? Has anyone ever bought tickets from scalpers that didn't end up getting them into the park? Has anyone ever heard of counterfeit White Sox tickets?

I think I know what you are talking about. I have tickets that have 2 different fonts. The ones printed out when you purchase them from the box office have a different font from the ones that are mailed to you if you get a season ticket package.

bludupree
07-18-2005, 11:33 PM
The season ticket package tickets are very different. He is talking about non-season ticket holder tickets. The 9 and 13 game packages may have different fonts than the box office tickets, but I have never noticed this. There are fake tickets out there, especially by the exit from the train. I have seen people get denied at the gates that bought tickets on the street. My advice is that if it looks a little off to you than you shouldn't buy it.

I think I know what you are talking about. I have tickets that have 2 different fonts. The ones printed out when you purchase them from the box office have a different font from the ones that are mailed to you if you get a season ticket package.

skobabe8
07-18-2005, 11:35 PM
The season ticket package tickets are very different. He is talking about non-season ticket holder tickets. The 9 and 13 game packages may have different fonts than the box office tickets, but I have never noticed this. There are fake tickets out there, especially by the exit from the train. I have seen people get denied at the gates that bought tickets on the street. My advice is that if it looks a little off to you than you shouldn't buy it.

Thats what I was talking about. They definately do.

itsnotrequired
07-18-2005, 11:35 PM
I believe tickets look different if they are part of a large, group package. I'm going with a work group on Wednesday and the ticket looks a bit different than the ones you get through the box office.

fincher
07-18-2005, 11:38 PM
I have noticed the different fonts, too. One is serif and one is sans serif. However, I have received all my tickets from the Sox box office so I figure its just from a different window or machine. I think all tickets with possibly the exception of the pre-printed season tickets with the photos have the Dunkin Donuts promo on the back.

I would be somewhat suspicious if tickets come from an unknown source.

dickallen15
07-18-2005, 11:41 PM
There are 2 different fonts on the tickets. I don't know the significance of either, but there definitely is 2.

Sly
07-19-2005, 12:32 AM
i'd always be careful about what you buy on the street around comiskey. In 2003, I bought two tickets from two guys who looked like your average fans. My friend's ticket worked fine, but when they scanned mine, it didnt' go through. I had to buy another ticket and my friend had to talk me out of finding the guys so I could dump a beer over their heads ...

BRDSR
07-19-2005, 12:38 AM
There are 2 different fonts on the tickets. I don't know the significance of either, but there definitely is 2.

Well, I kinda feel bad about calling out that guy then, but he was a jerk about it so I don't feel too bad. I suppose the Sox don't print their tickets thinking "Oh man, that could really confuse the people illegally buying our tickets for inflated prices," but I sure would appreciate if they would stick to one font.

C-Dawg
07-19-2005, 05:59 AM
There are fake tickets out there, especially by the exit from the train.

What's weird about those guys is there will be a buy selling tickets there by the train, and 10 feet away there will be a guy looking to buy.... I just want to point at the first guy and say "Hey look, he's got tickets, just buy from him!". Evidently it doesn't work that way.

34 Inch Stick
07-19-2005, 09:18 AM
Even stranger is that there will be a group of cops standing ten more feet away. I thought it was illegal to scalp tickets unless you have a license.

scottjanssens
07-19-2005, 09:25 AM
Well, I kinda feel bad about calling out that guy then, but he was a jerk about it so I don't feel too bad. I suppose the Sox don't print their tickets thinking "Oh man, that could really confuse the people illegally buying our tickets for inflated prices," but I sure would appreciate if they would stick to one font.

You're talking about a computer system that knows to print a season ticket account number on the ticket and yet still print the words "Upper Level Only" on it if it's 500 level.

SoxFan78
07-19-2005, 09:25 AM
Even stranger is that there will be a group of cops standing ten more feet away. I thought it was illegal to scalp tickets unless you have a license.

Thats what I thought too. Last time I went to a game I saw a cop giving some couple a ticket, I assume for scalping. But not more then 10 feet away tons of people are selling tickets. Does anybody know the official law about that?

And about the two different fonts on tickets, there are different fonts for tix bought straight from the ticket booth, and those that come straight from the orginization (Sox Charge, 9 & 13 game plans).

But if you are weary about buying those tickets, its always good to stay on the side of caution.

itsnotrequired
07-19-2005, 09:28 AM

I was the only guy standing at one of the ticket booths last night when a guy came up and offered me a ticket right in front of the booth attendant. I didn't know if it was a real ticket or it was some kind of sting or what so I passed on his offer.

ozzman
07-19-2005, 09:43 AM
I don't think you need a license to sell tickets as a scalper. I always thought it was legal as long as you do not charge more than face value.

kevingrt
07-19-2005, 10:38 AM
I don't think you need a license to sell tickets as a scalper. I always thought it was legal as long as you do not charge more than face value.

In Illinois that's the law and you have to be a certain distance from the premise. In other states I know you can scalp for like two times the value and what not, but in Illinois it's face value. I would still stick to the box office, ebay, and then stubhub in that order. Some shady people try to sell at the game and I can't be wasting $20+ on a worthless piece of paper.

RockRaines
07-19-2005, 01:30 PM
In Illinois that's the law and you have to be a certain distance from the premise. In other states I know you can scalp for like two times the value and what not, but in Illinois it's face value. I would still stick to the box office, ebay, and then stubhub in that order. Some shady people try to sell at the game and I can't be wasting $20+ on a worthless piece of paper.Heres a good tip, check the date on the ticket as well. I have seen people buy tickets that werent even for the day of the game. These people will burn you all day, and they are there with 10 other guys selling the same tickets, so having words with them is not a great idea.

ewokpelts
07-19-2005, 03:37 PM

They're 3 differnt fonts.
Because they have 3 differnt TICKETBASTARD machines
1 is for st/group sales only....smaller font, has the exact time ticket was printed on it.
2 is for the box office INSIDE the park(behind home plate) Times New Roman Font
3 is for the box offices on street level. standard TM font(like if you bought at carsons).

Gene

LVSoxFan
07-19-2005, 03:49 PM
My Ozzie plan tix have a definite different font then the regular TM font if you buy them at the window. It's not as bold.

You can take your chances, but whatever you do don't buy somebody's paper TM ticket--the one where you buy and print out yourself. That is just a matter of having a copy machine and then printing Lord knows how many...

ewokpelts
07-19-2005, 05:39 PM
My Ozzie plan tix have a definite different font then the regular TM font if you buy them at the window. It's not as bold.

You can take your chances, but whatever you do don't buy somebody's paper TM ticket--the one where you buy and print out yourself. That is just a matter of having a copy machine and then printing Lord knows how many...

another thought........beware scalpers that sell both the printout AND original ticket(which is now void)......

jake27
07-19-2005, 09:16 PM
What's weird about those guys is there will be a buy selling tickets there by the train, and 10 feet away there will be a guy looking to buy.... I just want to point at the first guy and say "Hey look, he's got tickets, just buy from him!". Evidently it doesn't work that way.i think the guys are usually pals, one buys extra tickets off of people then give em to the other guy to sell for a profit, at least i think thats whats happening